View Full Version : Trying Again: "On Respect"

fraidycat
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I tried to post this last week but the computer froze.

----------

Just a quick note.

I was thinking I was really coming along as a boxer -- and to be fair, perhaps I am -- until this week, when an older guy showed up at our gym. He is nearly 50, in comparable physical condition to me, a light heavy at about six feet. Wiry arms, ropy legs, a bit of a waistline but he looked pretty fit, cropped gray hair. I didn't think anything about him until I noticed that he was sparring with NO HEADGEAR. This is a big no-no in our gym.

Often, noobs will go their first couple of workouts not taking punches, just working on jabs or footwork, so they won't wear headgear.

A trainer put me in with him, and I found out quickly why he had no headgear: I couldn't touch him. In 3 rounds I landed a couple of bodyshots and managed to get the better of him only by bulldozing him into the corners -- I'm physically stronger than him -- but that's it.

Turns out, this guy has been boxing for nearly 30 years.

He was loose, fluid, and fast as hell, and the son of a ***** can HIT. Sweet Jesus, can he hit. Effortless, blinding snaps that stung like a bastard -- even his hooks had snap -- and I have the feeling that he wasn't even trying to knock me around for real. I would have been in serious, serious trouble if we'd been going 100%.

I had probably the most fun sparring with him that I've had with anyone to date; it was humbling and awe-inspiring just seeing what a guy that seasoned was capable of.

I don't know if he is a retired pro or just a dedicated hobbyist, or even what his record is; I didn't ask, because it didn't matter.

What mattered was, finding out that there is an entire other level to this sport that I am not even scratching the surface of after two years of hard training and a few matches. I hope in another year or two to be able to trade punches with this guy and not look like a kindergarten student by comparison. That's the next goal I've set for myself: to be able to trade with this guy and have it be something people want to watch.

I am really glad that I didn't try to pull any kind of pretentious crap on him and I pity the first loudmouth mother****er who does.

I guess the lesson here for me -- and you -- is, respect your elders. That gray-haired dude limbering up in the corner might very well walk your ass around the ring with a toothy grin and make you look really stupid.

God willing, that gray-haired dude in the corner might be me, someday. :boxing:

Winky-Wright
01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Funny ****, we use to have some old guy who use to do MMA Come to are gym but he was a nightmare to spar with because all he done was grab and try to throw you or push you about.

mgkirkpatrick
01-22-2008, 01:43 AM
good read fraidy. cheers.

boxing4ever
01-22-2008, 02:09 AM
o jesus those are the guys you gotta watch out for! About 2 months ago, this one guy that looked like a real pirate but had a little and i mean barly muscle he was about 6 feet tall and looked to weigh about 150-60. anyway he was sparring with my friend whose record is 14-1, and let me tell ya the pirate had my friend shipwrecked! I mean this guy was like a ghost my friend was throwing punches at places this guy was at seconds ago. My friend almost never does that! the pirate dude wasnt even trying he was just squared up playing around in there. We found out he used to be in the navy and has been boxing for about 20 years

xSOUTHPAWx
01-22-2008, 03:43 AM
prolly went to annapolis

aussieboxer2320
01-22-2008, 06:35 AM
good story

jchavez12345
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Good story fraidy. Goes to show you to always try to make friends instead on enemies.

moin126
01-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Fraidy you should write columns, articles man. Your one heck of a writer.

lilrip133
01-22-2008, 06:01 PM
i was thinkin the same thing moin. in the short time ive been on this forum ive already come to the realization that, if fraidy makes a post, i know to read it

jchavez12345
01-22-2008, 07:19 PM
i was thinkin the same thing moin. in the short time ive been on this forum ive already come to the realization that, if fraidy makes a post, i know to read it

probably not all of them. I know i could have done without the giant pimple story. :puke: :puke:

j/k fraidy

DutchDynamite
01-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I have been living and doing MMA in 3 different countries and it is always the people that you least expect it from to be the best. The calm, nice "older" guys are the ones to be care full for. The apologetic types are the best and strongest. But they teach you at the same time, they are not there to knock you out. There are just playing and staying in shape.

I don't spar with young wild guys who come in full gear or box without shirt. I don't like the shirtless types.

phallus
01-23-2008, 03:02 AM
this thread reminds me of the time two teenage kids tried to rob a 70 year old jack dempsey. they didn't know that 40 years before he'd been the hw champ of the world and knocked one of the kids out, i think the other one ran away

leff
01-23-2008, 04:32 AM
whan i was a rookie at my old gym i used to spar this 5.9 guy and god damn it he must have been 70 years old, not very physical but clever as a fox, allways hade good sparring with him, even though we almost couldnt comunicate cause being out of breath, moutpiece and dysfunctional hearing device is a bad combination.

danny stash
01-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I love this story...this is why I try and respect all people until given a reason not to because you never know what someone has been through, knows or can teach you!

great read..

Wish the millions of punk ass juveniles out their would all have to go a few rounds with someone like this to teach them some respect and humility.

potatoes
01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Old guys like me can still fight. Although I haven't sparred in about 20 years, I know I could give any of you a boxing lesson. If you tried to bully me into the ropes I would just finesse a headbutt or elbow in your face. It isn't hard to do, I've do it thousands of times. In my day we learned all the tricks of the trade, especially the dirty ones.

The problem is getting hit is so much more serious than when we were young. If I get a bruise or a cut it now takes at least a month to heal. About three months ago I knocked some idiot on his ass with a headbutt. Yeah, three months and my ****in' head is still sore! That is a good indication if any of you guys caught me with a solid shot I'd probably end up in the morgue.

fraidycat
01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
The problem is getting hit is so much more serious than when we were young. If I get a bruise or a cut it now takes at least a month to heal.

I'm only 37, and it feels like it takes me forever to heal. When I get a black eye or a good bruise, it lasts for a couple of weeks, even though I ice it every night. :beerchug:

Kayo
01-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Old guys like me can still fight. Although I haven't sparred in about 20 years, I know I could give any of you a boxing lesson. If you tried to bully me into the ropes I would just finesse a headbutt or elbow in your face. It isn't hard to do, I've do it thousands of times. In my day we learned all the tricks of the trade, especially the dirty ones.

The problem is getting hit is so much more serious than when we were young. If I get a bruise or a cut it now takes at least a month to heal. About three months ago I knocked some idiot on his ass with a headbutt. Yeah, three months and my ****in' head is still sore! That is a good indication if any of you guys caught me with a solid shot I'd probably end up in the morgue.

Theres a guy in his 50's who comes into my gym and hes a heavy and he comes in a schools everyone and shows them some stuff which he calls "dirty boxing" for working on the inside. Potatoes i've always wondered what is that in your avatar?

potatoes
01-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Theres a guy in his 50's who comes into my gym and hes a heavy and he comes in a schools everyone and shows them some stuff which he calls "dirty boxing" for working on the inside. Potatoes i've always wondered what is that in your avatar?

pommes de terre

Kayo
01-25-2008, 01:21 AM
pommes de terre

mais en couleur?

potatoes
01-25-2008, 03:13 PM
mais en couleur?

Pommes de terre venez dans beaucoup de couleurs.

Ginseng G
01-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Fraidy you should write columns, articles man. Your one heck of a writer.

I second that.