View Full Version : Training for the Training: Need Advice

lilrip133
01-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Since I'm in a situation where I can't go to a gym until May :nonono: (closest gym is almost 100 miles away), I'm stuck doing workouts at home. I want to do my best to avoid developing terribly hard to break bad habits as best as I can, but I want to train as much now as I can so when I do start going to the gym, I can already be in good condition and will be further along than the average joe who just walks in the gym one day. :boxing: Here's what my tentative training regimine is for the time being:

jump rope warm-up 3-5 min.
25 pushups
50 5 lb v-ups
25 pushups
30 5 lb sit-ups
25 pushups
50 5 lb v-ups
shadow boxing 3 min
3x rope bob & weave + throwing 3 min
3x lower back workout (I call them supermans L,R, and Both sides) 15 reps
3x neck workouts each direction 10 reps
jump rope 3-5 min
3x shadow boxing with weight 3 min (alternate between 5, 2, and 1 lb weights each day)
25 pushups
30 5 lb sit-ups
25 pushups
50 5 lb v-ups
25 pushups
30 5 lb sit-ups
jump rope 5 min

road work (mon-400/800 repeats, tues- easy 6-7, wed- tempo run 4-6, thurs- ladder workout-100/200/400/800/800/400/200/100, fri- easy 5-7, sat-long run 10-12)
i workout 6 days a week with minimal rest between exercises although i do do my road work early in the day and my workout late at night. and i take sundays off to play basketball, do homework, etc.

also work a little bit every other day on defensive maneuvers (mostly just blocking and slips but i try not to work too much on that for fear of developing an unchangable habit. maybe i can post a vid sometime for yall to break down my technique and help me to correct anything wrong). on the nights i don't do this, i finish off my workouts with a minute burnout on the heavy bag.

right now, the majority of techniques i practice come from jack dempsey's "championship fighting", "boxing's ten commandments", rossboxing.com reading, and Title's "Freddie Roach's Fundamentals of Boxing" DVD.

i know the workout is a little bit weak and has a ton of holes, so i'm coming to you guys to ask what i could add to it or change whether it be other workouts or just upping reps or time on certain things. i just started with the jump roping so i dont think im ready to add anymore time on that yet, but everything else im definately up for suggestions. any other tips are great too.

im 5'6"-7" and weigh 130
Thanks in advance for ANY advice

xSOUTHPAWx
01-21-2008, 04:31 AM
let me ask you this..

at the end of every workout are you exhausted?

lilrip133
01-21-2008, 10:03 PM
not really, just pretty tired. my back is tight and my shoulders are a little tired (especially in the workouts toward the end of the week), but it feels like im missing something still

ruffhouse26
01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Try to buy your own equipment. Thats what i did. Go unattached if your tryin' to box. Run a few miles, work your way up from 1 mile to 4 miles or 3 miles. Intense shadowboxing. Find someone to spar. Jump rope. Sprints. you know!

moin126
01-22-2008, 11:05 AM
what I do, is.

2 rounds of 3 minutes shadowboxing. stretch.
3 rounds of 3 minutest shadowboxing
3 rounds of 3 minutes rope jumping
3 rounds of 3 minutes shadowboxing
5min rest, go run 3 miles.
back, clothes off, bag work 20 minutes continues.
then do a punch out 10 minutes.
then 200 situps, and 50 pushups.
I could continue with all kind of exercies when i have time, most of the time by the end of it, its like 4 hours later.

stretch
hydro shower so cold /warm.

Note: ass time progresses i get better, i switch up, and do more anearobic exercises wich i throw in there, exchange the run for sprints + burpees etc.
and do explosive pushups between rounds.

lilrip133
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
do you do a minute rest between rounds? and then how long do you stretch for/ rest between sets? that looks like a real good workout right there.

and as far as equipment im saving whatever money i get and getting stuff little by little. right now what i have on hand is 1,2, and 5 pound weights, a heavy bag/ bag gloves and wrist wrap, set of head gear, set of 14 oz gloves, weighted jump rope, and a 5 pound medicine ball.
what do you suggest would be the most important thing to put next on the list?

moin126
01-22-2008, 07:02 PM
1 minute. yes. my Stretches are really long, because i think a flexible body is very very important.

lilrip133
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM
i agree. that's definately one of my weakest points. well i'll try out that workout tonight and see how it goes. i really appreciate all the help from everybody.

any advice on the equipment?

lilrip133
01-23-2008, 01:26 AM
well that workout definately kicked my butt. appreciate it moin. cant wait to do it again tomorrow :boxing:

aussieboxer2320
01-23-2008, 01:32 AM
thats a good workout moin