View Full Version : best boxers build

danny stash
01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I am wondering what the consensus is for the best build for a boxer. Short and squat (tyson) or tall and lanky (hearns)

I carry most of my weight in my upper body and have skinny but relatively strong legs. Any feedback?

Rocky Katsidis
01-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Jeff Lacy has the best build ive ever seen on a boxer

juggernautburn
01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Jeff Lacy has the best build ive ever seen on a boxer

i think he means performance wise rather than aesthetics. but in my opinion, i think each have it's advantages.

boxer Of thE World
01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
it all depends on your style of fighting and normally your size is what you build your fighting style around

BrooklynBomber
01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I am wondering what the consensus is for the best build for a boxer. Short and squat (tyson) or tall and lanky (hearns)

I carry most of my weight in my upper body and have skinny but relatively strong legs. Any feedback?

Depends on your style but from my own experience relatively tall, longhanded body is the best(think of Robinson, Leonard, Calzaghe)

Onslow.
01-18-2008, 04:36 AM
I'm short and stocky and i wish i was rangey and lean.

If i was rangey and lean, i'd want to be short and stocky.

The grass is always greener on the otherside. Just take what you got!

msagrain
01-18-2008, 05:52 AM
It doesn't really matter but a long reach can help but then boxers with smaller reachers can outbox people with longer reaches. It's all about boxing skill really.

Prophetic~Poet
01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm Tall and Lanky...i favor a Hearns build....

potatoes
01-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Does it really matter? :thinking:

This preoccupation with body image in boxers is a modern phenomenon. Jack Dempsey was a very popular champion but at the time nobody ever talked about his "build." You can be as beautiful as Wladimir Klitschko or as ugly as James Toney but these aesthetic qualities aren't mentioned in the record book. Did you win? Did you lose? Did you get knocked out? That is what is import.

You construct your style around your natural "build" because your style is determined by your body and what you can make it do. In the last hundred years boxers have come in all sizes and shapes and abilities. Tall men fight tall, small men fight small. Is one better or more advantageous than the other? I suppose if a statistical analysis was made that question could be answered definitively. The question still remains, does really matter? For you as an individual boxer, your goal is to win. Wladimir Klitschko had all the natural advantages over Ross Puritty, and he was prettier too, but Puritty figured out how to beat him. In the final analysis that is all that really counts.

No1
01-19-2008, 08:11 AM
for me id personally like to look like jeff lacy, as im never going to be pro so it would look cool on the beach lol. but for boxing terms id like to look like say taylor hos quite built but is also long and rangy.

moin126
01-19-2008, 11:04 AM
mclellan, robinson, rjj, those are very very good builds, long arms, broad shoulders, right muscle type.
It depends mostly on your style, your style should be in correlation to your body type. Mayweather has a bit of everything, and isnt to tall to get confident, and go beserk, thats a reason why hes so good.
then you have tyson, small but very strong, he used his short height to his advantage.

JC Warrior
01-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I thought Golota had pretty close to all the physical tools in build and body to be dominant. But his lack of a proper boxers mentality did him in. Just like Potatoes mentioned the body is a secondary thing when it comes to boxing.

Obviously dictate this with some common sense though if you're short and stocky and weigh above 200 pounds don't spend all your training days developing only a jab+right hand. Learn to fight inside, learn about body punching etc.

All that aside I think the best body type for success in boxing is the Golota type. Semi tall, thick neck, thick upper body, great leg strength, stable, and very lean.

Benn_Foust
01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Jeff Lacy's body is all wrong, That's my personal opinion though. I would aim to have very strong ancles and legs as your punch actually comes from there. Don't add too much muscle to any part of your body or it becomes very difficult to manouver across the ring.

Mistadobalina
01-20-2008, 01:04 AM
mesomorphs with strong legs.

FIGHTING_FLIP
01-20-2008, 02:06 AM
im tall and somewhat skinny..i like oscar de la hoyas build

Spirit
01-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Thomas Hearns had an overly perfect boxer's build: Tall, broad strong shoulders, small waistline and a long reach. To me that's the most advantageous build a boxer could have. DLH has a similar build for a smaller man, but that body only seemed to develop at 154-160 for him. Winky also has a body shape like that, honestly I don't know how he does it with all the crispy cream he consumes

Feint
01-20-2008, 10:02 AM
As most people have said it is more about your skills and style than anything else, but having said that a tall boxer with a long reach will have a slight advantage over other boxers with different body types.

On a side note, probably the best advantage for a tall boxer with a long reach is in their defense. It's tougher to get inside on these boxers and if they have any decent head-movement or parrying skills then they can be impossible to solve at times. This leads to frustration, which leads to getting sloppy, which eventually leads to looking up at the pretty lights on the ceiling from your back.

sjomcik
01-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I think David Haye has really good boxer's build, he is tall, fast,powerfull and have athletic body.

danny stash
01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Thomas Hearns had an overly perfect boxer's build: Tall, broad strong shoulders, small waistline and a long reach. To me that's the most advantageous build a boxer could have. DLH has a similar build for a smaller man, but that body only seemed to develop at 154-160 for him. Winky also has a body shape like that, honestly I don't know how he does it with all the crispy cream he consumes
I tend to agree with this assessment and potatoes. Thanks for all the great responses guys!!!