View Full Version : Speed

Detroit101
01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
How do I get faster??????? I have heard this question many times on this forum and I want to set the record straight.....

THE BEST WAY TO GET FASTER IS BY DOING WIND SPRINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know if you agree / disagree..............

podxvost
01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
what do you mean by faster? handspeed or what?

sterling
01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
what are wind sprints?

Undefeated
01-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Just shadow box. The speed comes. If it don't come then you're not meant to be fast. lol

elitebzrk
01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
what are wind sprints?

Wind sprint is a familiar term to athletes. For them it means to sprint or go very fast. But it's the first word -- WIND -- that should really be emphasized, because the purpose of the exercise is to get momentarily winded. Athletes have to go very fast to get winded. Out-of-shape people can get winded from just walking. (It might have been easier to explain this technique if I had made up a new name for it, such as "The Get Winded Exercise.")

moin126
01-16-2008, 06:33 PM
dont think, learn a punch with perfect technique, then perfect it, daily train that ****er, speed will come auto when you do it correctly and ALOT!

As for footwork speed, rope jump, and do that fast, sprints, and roadwork offcourse.

Detroit101
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
here is a link that explains what i am talking about......

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/speed.htm

this site has some valuable information....

SpeedKillz
01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
punch as fast as u can
do plyometrics
do hand speed drills (search forums)
work as hard as you can ALWAYS!

Greatwhitehope
01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Punchspeed: Shadow boxing with weights really helped me also resistance bands.

Sprint speed: Beach Sprints, parachute runs, tis all good.

PunchDrunk
01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Wind sprints don't make you faster.

Detroit101
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Wind sprints don't make you faster.

Did you read the link above???.....do you think if you could run faster that you could get into an offensive position faster?????????????????????

It is the type of muscle you build that makes you faster...

leff
01-17-2008, 09:32 AM
How do I get faster??????? I have heard this question many times on this forum and I want to set the record straight.....

THE BEST WAY TO GET FASTER IS BY DOING WIND SPRINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know if you agree / disagree..............

nope it will help your anorobe stamina not make you faster

for speed try explosive strength training

Detroit101
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM
nope it will help your anorobe stamina not make you faster

for speed try explosive strength training

YES.....Plyometrics!!!!!!!!!! And heavy lifting as well......did you read the article?

PunchDrunk
01-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Did you read the link above???.....do you think if you could run faster that you could get into an offensive position faster?????????????????????

It is the type of muscle you build that makes you faster...

Didn't read the article (still haven't, though I might later...), I was answering your statement.

Being able to run faster will not get you "into an offensive position" faster. You don't "build" muscle by sprinting, and the speed you might gain sprinting is through other adaptations than muscle gain, ie. anaerobic endurance, technical improvement etc.
This means that there is no carry over from increased sprinting speed (attained by sprinting) to boxing specific movements. The two are too far apart.

The way to increase boxing specific speed is through these steps:

1. increase strength (general full body strength training) -> 2. Utilize the potential for increase in explosiveness that follows an increased strength by doing explosive work - med ball throws, plyometrics etc. (the more boxing specific, the better) -> 3. convert to boxing specific movements through technical training

Edit: The wind sprints don't fit into any of these steps. They're an excellent tool when it comes to endurance though.

PunchDrunk
01-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Had a look at your article. You do realize that the "speed" that the article is about is sprinting speed, right? Since boxers don't run/sprint in the ring, the article is useless for boxing. In fact, it is useless for anyone who doesn't have the specific goal of running faster.

BrooklynBomber
01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Well, here are my two cents on this issue:

The exercises that helped me improve my overall explosiveness are olympic lifts. Cleans, jerks, etc...

But before them, my mitwork helped me the most on my reflexes and handspeed.

Everything else like bag work was there to just get my motoric movements up and running and to get muscles in shape.

You are correct thought when you say that in order to get faster you need to run fast, that's true. But that goes for running speed only, in boxing everything depends more on your reflexes(as you don't think which punch to throw when you see an opening, you just throw it because it is embeded in your brain)

BennyST
01-18-2008, 12:23 AM
One thing that is very, very important with speed that no one else has mentioned is this (some of this might seem obvious but very few people go through this and their speed lacks greatly because of it):

First - Train all your basic punches and form to the point of utter perfection. Start out slow and perfect angles, trajectory, when to turn your wrist etc. The more you eliminate small imperfections the smoother and more free you lines will be thus making you faster. This comes with concentrated repetition of each and every punch. Get all the kinks out before you speed your punches up. This training should last a long time. This is not a few months or a few years thing. Constant re-evaluation, correction and perfection of your form. This is the first and most important step. Without perfection of your punches, the rest means nothing and you will never attain the speed your body is capable of.

Second - You must learn to relax your muscles when throwing a punch. This can actually be a hard concept to grasp. Easy to understand theoretically but hard to physically grasp. You have to train your muscles to move with the least amount of resistance which means using the the least amount of muscles but the correct muscles for the punch. The more you tighten up your back, shoulders, elbow or forearm the more tension you create around those muscles that need to be free to explode quickly and on cue. The more you do this the more you will understand which muscles need to be used for which punch. The rest don't help and should be relaxed.
Again, the more you practice these punches for perfection and concentrated repetition, the looser and more explosive they will be. Always think relaxed but remember relaxed does not mean floppy/un-firm/weak etc. This is an important point that many, many people overlook when training for power and speed. They try too hard and all you do is lock things up and become tighter, slower and more exhausted.

Third - Always think speed ! This is similar to always being relaxed but this comes a bit later and at different times. You've trained your basics into your muscle memory completely and are relaxed with your punches and things are flowing smoothly right? This is where everything becomes about thinking speed! The more tired you are, the more you absolutely must relax (remember, not floppy) and let the muscles that do the work, actually do the work. The more tired you are, the more likely you're going to try and use more muscle and put more effort in and the more likely you're going to tense up and become stiff, slow and utterly exhausted! You must do the opposite of what your body feels like doing which is very hard and this is where all the previous training of perfection and repetition comes into play.
When you are at this stage let everything flow as relaxed as you can get it and think speed ! With every jab, right, cross...everything, just think speed!

Try and put these principles into every part of your routine. From your push ups and sit ups to your heavy bag and power training. Form, relax, speed!

Correct form + repetition + relaxation + speed.

giantsbran1227
01-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Heres a good routine for plyometrics.

http://www.athletes.com/fun/rudy5.htm

PunchDrunk
01-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Heres a good routine for plyometrics.

http://www.athletes.com/fun/rudy5.htm

Again, not a very relevant workout for a boxer. Depth jumps are for people who need to improve just that; jumping. Med ball chest passes are far inferior to other kinds of med ball throws, when it comes to boxing, and in reality it is not a plyiometric exercise. Same goes for the med ball situps.

Overall a waste of time to do those circuits, when you could be doing stuff that'll make you a better boxer. The exercises just aren't relevant.

Migs
01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Focusing on throwing quick punches on the heavy bag has made the difference for me in my hand speed. I'm not concerned about power as they say speed equals power, its physics. I've also heard the importance of plyometrics which has been stressed by a few people already and personally I have not done them but am about to start.

BennyST, that was a good post too. I understand what you mean by relaxing when punching and I can do that slightly with my jab but that's it.

Also, running has done nothing for my handspeed but has done wonders for my endurance. I think the combination of running and strenuous work on the heavy bag have allowed me to be able to spar a round or two more than usual without gassing out, plus I take my time, relax, and concentrate as best I can while in the ring instead of tensing up and doing unneccessary movement.

Detroit101
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
If you think sprinting does not build fast twitch muscle & all around muscle you are un-educated about the human body.................Have you ever taken a look at 100m sprinters and their bodies????????? Do they look frail & weak?

I understand form & bag training build technique and a minimal amount of speed....But the majority of it comes from weight training and sprinting...

If you are saying that sprinting doesnt help with punching speed you are basically telling me that you dont use your legs when you punch.....

After each session my legs and calves are completely exhausted....How could that possibly be????? I must be doing something wrong!!!

POWER & SPEED COME FROM YOUR LEGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PunchDrunk
01-18-2008, 12:08 PM
If you think sprinting does not build fast twitch muscle & all around muscle you are un-educated about the human body.................Have you ever taken a look at 100m sprinters and their bodies????????? Do they look frail & weak?

I understand form & bag training build technique and a minimal amount of speed....But the majority of it comes from weight training and sprinting...

If you are saying that sprinting doesnt help with punching speed you are basically telling me that you dont use your legs when you punch.....

After each session my legs and calves are completely exhausted....How could that possibly be????? I must be doing something wrong!!!

POWER & SPEED COME FROM YOUR LEGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look fella, I do have an elite trainer education. You however, clearly don't know what you're talking about, and no amount of exclamation marks are gonna change that fact.

I have taken a look at 100m sprinters, but contrary to you, I also know a little bit about how they train. The reason they're built like that is that about 50% of their training is weight training. This basically means that they do the same thing I outlined earlier about building up your strength to increase your explosiveness. Do you honestly think they look like that from doing nothing but springting? Well, the jokes on you. :kiss:

Sprinting doesn't help with punching speed, and I'd like it if you stopped telling me what me saying that means, because clearly you can't come to a reasonable conclusion about that. I am not saying you don't use your legs when you punch, I'm saying that the movement you're doing when punching is too far removed, technically, from sprinting for there to be any carry over, and since the physical adaptations form the sprinting itself are minimal, sprinting does not increase punching speed.

Now do yourself, me, and everybody else who are dumb enough to read your posts a favor, and actually read and more importantly understand what I've just written before you reply.

Kayo
01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Look fella, I do have an elite trainer education. You however, clearly don't know what you're talking about, and no amount of exclamation marks are gonna change that fact.

I have taken a look at 100m sprinters, but contrary to you, I also know a little bit about how they train. The reason they're built like that is that about 50% of their training is weight training. This basically means that they do the same thing I outlined earlier about building up your strength to increase your explosiveness. Do you honestly think they look like that from doing nothing but springting? Well, the jokes on you. :kiss:

Sprinting doesn't help with punching speed, and I'd like it if you stopped telling me what me saying that means, because clearly you can't come to a reasonable conclusion about that. I am not saying you don't use your legs when you punch, I'm saying that the movement you're doing when punching is too far removed, technically, from sprinting for there to be any carry over, and since the physical adaptations form the sprinting itself are minimal, sprinting does not increase punching speed.

Now do yourself, me, and everybody else who are dumb enough to read your posts a favor, and actually read and more importantly understand what I've just written before you reply.

Thats an educated ownage right there

Detroit101
01-18-2008, 01:56 PM

I didnt say sprinters are muscular from sprinting alone...and I said from the beginning that resistance training accompanies speed....So dont put words into my mouth...

As far as your Elite education goes...did you recieve that at Bally's????

I can tell from all your posts...that you have a lot of anger...and a lot of negative things to say....You seem like a very miserable person...im so sorry for you...

PunchDrunk
01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I didnt say sprinters are muscular from sprinting alone...and I said from the beginning that resistance training accompanies speed....So dont put words into my mouth...

As far as your Elite education goes...did you recieve that at Bally's????

I can tell from all your posts...that you have a lot of anger...and a lot of negative things to say....You seem like a very miserable person...im so sorry for you...

You certainly implied that you believed sprinters got their physiques through sprinting when you said: If you think sprinting does not build fast twitch muscle & all around muscle you are un-educated about the human body.................Have you ever taken a look at 100m sprinters and their bodies????????? Do they look frail & weak?
If you didn't believe that to be the case, why did you say it to back up your point? Oh, and you didn't say anything about resistance training accompanying speed. Go back and read your first post if you forgot what you said, please.

As far as my elite trainer's education, I took it (as opposed to receiving it) at a national institute, thanks for asking.

I don't have a lot of anger, but I do have limited patience with someone like you, who posts something that is clearly a misunderstanding on your part. You then ask people to post their opinions on the subject, which I have done. It is quite okay for you to disagree with me, but when you do so because you don't try to read and understand what I'm saying, then yes, my patience grows thin.

Detroit101
01-18-2008, 04:01 PM
You certainly implied that you believed sprinters got their physiques through sprinting when you said:
If you didn't believe that to be the case, why did you say it to back up your point? Oh, and you didn't say anything about resistance training accompanying speed. Go back and read your first post if you forgot what you said, please.

As far as my elite trainer's education, I took it (as opposed to receiving it) at a national institute, thanks for asking.

I don't have a lot of anger, but I do have limited patience with someone like you, who posts something that is clearly a misunderstanding on your part. You then ask people to post their opinions on the subject, which I have done. It is quite okay for you to disagree with me, but when you do so because you don't try to read and understand what I'm saying, then yes, my patience grows thin.

OK....I dont have any problems with other peoples ideas or opinions...even when they conflict with mine.....I do have a problem when people jump to a conclusion before it presents itself and assume certain things on biased opinions....

PunchDrunk
01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
OK....I dont have any problems with other peoples ideas or opinions...even when they conflict with mine.....I do have a problem when people jump to a conclusion before it presents itself and assume certain things on biased opinions....

So your problem is with yourself then. Go back and read the thread one more time. I made valid arguments to back up my position. You on the other hand, claimed sprinters looked the way they do because sprinting builds all that muscle, then when I called you on it, you deny it. well, it's there, in your post, in black and white. If you think sprinting does not build fast twitch muscle & all around muscle you are un-educated about the human body.................Have you ever taken a look at 100m sprinters and their bodies????????? Do they look frail & weak?

Then you put words in my mouth, but concluding that
Which I never said of course, I just said there is no carry over from sprints to the kind of work your legs do in the ring. Heck, I even expalined why, and what to do instead.

the clear difference here is that I address each of your points (or outrageous claims in this case), and you do not address mine. In fact, you don't even reply to the direct questions I've asked you. So there it is, if you want to answer my questions and continue a discussion on the subject we can do that. You might even learn something... Or you can keep avoiding my points and call me angry instead, in which case I'm done with you. :boxing: