View Full Version : Jumping Rope - How long, How fast?

Reala
01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi guys,

I have never really jumped rope before, but have been told it is pretty much un-rivaled as a cardio routine so am going to start doing it daily. Was just wondering how long and at what intensity I should be doing it?

Thanks in advance =)

lewdude2k7
01-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi reala, you should start at about 6 1 minute rounds, or if you feel like you can do more depending on your fitness level then you can do 6 2 minute rounds and eventually work up to 5-10 minute rounds.

The road will not be easy though, if you have never jumped rope before the skill does not come overnight and can become very frustrating but try not to get too frustrated or you can lose intrest. The rope can also be very tiring because the cardio is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf2igDyHfKg if u need help on skipping watch this

if you need inspiration watch mayweather jumping rope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdgXgjCaus4

P4PKING_2008
01-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi guys,

I have never really jumped rope before, but have been told it is pretty much un-rivaled as a cardio routine so am going to start doing it daily. Was just wondering how long and at what intensity I should be doing it?

Thanks in advance =)

You should be able to stand in the middle of the rope and pull it up to just above your pelvis. Thats the correct length. And just go slow when ya start. Hopping instead of just jumping will gain you a better flow about it.

potatoes
01-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Boxing is an individual sport consequently all training programs should be custom tailored to the individual boxer. We are all starting from a different place so we all have differing needs. There are no rules as to how long you should spend skipping or how many pushups you ought to do or how many rounds on the heavybag you need to endure. First, get some good advice from a competent trainer. Second, do a little bit of everything and try to improve as time goes on. Third, pay attention to your progress and it will soon become apparent which things you need to work on more so than others.

alza1988
01-13-2008, 02:35 PM
check out rossboxing.com and rosstraining.com ,he tells u everything about jumping rope and he gives u video demos

moin126
01-13-2008, 05:36 PM
i think longer and faster. Why not start with 3 times three minutes then work your way up.

triggnom
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
u gotta be a natural before using it for conditioning,

watsup sweet kissez, its me lol

triggnom
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
i do 50 double jumps, and then drop and do 10 squat thrust
i repeat until the end of a 2 mintue round

hey

No1
01-13-2008, 06:17 PM
I do it for 20mins at the begining of my workout to warm me up and get me sweating.
Stick some 10-20 sprints in every so often to change it up and get your body used to different levels of activity and energy expenditure. :boxing:

Count Patron
01-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I normally jump for about 45-60 minutes 3 times a week. I have a playlist on iPod for doing so and normally take about a 30 second rest between songs.

TheWolf
01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Skipping should be used to warm up your muscles. It is good for wrist strength and decent for cardio but there are far better things you can do with your time if youre a boxer than skip rope all day.

Make it 15 minutes non stop at the beginning, at any pace you wish, then stretch your muscles. Theyre warmed up and will be more healthy.

Onslow.
01-16-2008, 06:28 AM
I normally jump for about 45-60 minutes 3 times a week. I have a playlist on iPod for doing so and normally take about a 30 second rest between songs.

God.. i couldn't think of anything more boring.

I can skip forever though. What me and my pal do sometimes is skip to the round buzzers, but skip normal for 10 secs (steady but medium difficulty pace) then 10 seconds you skip as fast as possible. Repeat throughout hte round.

Count Patron
01-17-2008, 05:02 PM
God.. i couldn't think of anything more boring.

I can skip forever though. What me and my pal do sometimes is skip to the round buzzers, but skip normal for 10 secs (steady but medium difficulty pace) then 10 seconds you skip as fast as possible. Repeat throughout hte round.

It's not boring for me. I get into it with the music and have fun. I do a lot of running too... not even solely for boxing, it just clears my mind if I run or jump rope.

moin126
01-17-2008, 06:22 PM
skipping 15 at once is a max, possibly to warm up.

I always do rounds of 3 mins, and try as many combinations as possible at high intensity, cris cross, double unders etc etc.
between rounds you could rest, or do pushups, situps whatever

When you do 10 minutes, your intensity will adjust, the pace will obviously go down, you dont want that in a fight.
A fight is 70 % anearobic, 30 % aerobic,
You arent training for a marathon rope jumping :S, but for a fight.

BennyST
01-17-2008, 11:52 PM
i think longer and faster. Why not start with 3 times three minutes then work your way up.

If you're just starting out you probably shouldn't do too much skipping. It can place an inordinate amount of stress on the muscles and connecting tissue around the shins which can result in shin-splints. Take it easy at the start and just gradually build up over time. You know, three minutes might not be too bad but just take it easy when starting. If you do get shin-splints it can screw your training up for quite a long time.

When you get it happening though, you should be able to go twenty minutes non stop with a program switching between various levels of intensity to keep your muscles from falling into a repetitive pattern, which can halt progress.

Mayweather is pretty good at the rope but if you want some serious inspiration, go check out Roberto Duran! The guy was the ultimate skipping freak! Just insane, with stuff like squats while skipping on one or two legs etc. Kind of like the traditional Russian dance I believe. Have a look for some highlight videos of him on youtube.