View Full Version : Starting boxing need advice.

Banjo7
01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi,
Im 6ft 14 Years old and, im not going to lie overweight.
Ive always had a love of boxing and on Tuesday im doing my first session.
I know ill be alright with the excersise part as i have consistently for years done 3-4hour Cricket or Soccer sessions.
I know i can take a punch as you learn that when you go through school.
Despite appearences im not just a slugger and when i have been working on the Pads and bag im actually got quite quick hands.
From my limited work on the pads at home i have learnt the Left Right 1-2 Jab seems to be my best combo punches.
On the jab i reckon im pretty good and can get alot of power in the punches.
The Uppercut again is fine and generates power.
But ive found my Left Hook does not generate masses of power and that worries me abit.
Im very dedicated and would put in the work.
Ill be going to the gym twice a week.
I have cricket once a week so thats good excersise as well.
Id just like some advice on what to expect in the gym and basically as much advice as possible from my post.

If you need to ask questions fire away.

Thanks,
Connor Jennings

Darkstranger
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi,
Im 6ft 14 Years old and, im not going to lie overweight.
Ive always had a love of boxing and on Tuesday im doing my first session.
I know ill be alright with the excersise part as i have consistently for years done 3-4hour Cricket or Soccer sessions.
I know i can take a punch as you learn that when you go through school.
Despite appearences im not just a slugger and when i have been working on the Pads and bag im actually got quite quick hands.
From my limited work on the pads at home i have learnt the Left Right 1-2 Jab seems to be my best combo punches.
On the jab i reckon im pretty good and can get alot of power in the punches.
The Uppercut again is fine and generates power.
But ive found my Left Hook does not generate masses of power and that worries me abit.
Im very dedicated and would put in the work.
Ill be going to the gym twice a week.
I have cricket once a week so thats good excersise as well.
Id just like some advice on what to expect in the gym and basically as much advice as possible from my post.

If you need to ask questions fire away.

Thanks,
Connor Jennings

welcome to boxing mate, but I've played club cricket for years as a fast bowler and cricket sessions are absolutely nothing compared to boxing.
Also, it's one thing to take a punch in a brawl at school, but you'll taking a few from a trained fighter throwing with speed and technique is completely different.

Get yourself down to a gym for a reality check!

:boxing:

sukhenkoy
01-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Yesterday was my first day in the gym. I actually did not do any bag work, and did not even work on stance, footwork, etc. My trainer told me that I would spend about 2 weeks with some intense conditioning to get my body ready for the ride ahead (which I think is right).

We started off with jump rope for about 15 minutes. Then we did some core exercises (bicycle for 5 minutes, scissors for about 3 minutes, 6 inches off the ground for about 3 minutes). Then we did exercises for where we jump off the ground on our toes, and land on our toes. Then squat jumps. Knees to chest. Jumping jacks. Pushups. I rode the stationary bike for about 15 minutes while watching some of guys spar. We did about five other exercises, but I don't remember all of them right now. It was hard work, but it did not get me to the point where I wanted to throw up or anything because I had been doing weights, swimming, pushups, pullups at least 5 days a week for about 6 months prior to this training session. Nonetheless, it was a very good workout, and I highly doubt it will be similar to any workout you've had in the past (in terms of how hard it works your entire body).

This is what my first boxing training session was like. Congratulations for starting the greatest sport in the world, and good luck on Tuesday!

Banjo7
01-13-2008, 02:27 AM
DarkStranger,
I understand your point and thanks for replying.

All im saying is ive been used to hard training and hard matches in the same day.

Like i said i reckon ill be alright, but i know boxing takes Physical and Mental side of conditioning and that what makes it harder.

Im sorry if you do not understand what i mean, What i mean is it also takes mental conditioning to get in the right shape of mind for the training and also to realise it is worth being in the gym twice a week and doing roadwork and bag work every day.
So what im saying is you need the mental conditioning to realise yes doing 3-4 Hours Roadwork/Other workouts takes Mental conditioning to realise despite the fact all you get out of it is on a cold Wet miserable Monday evening getting cracked on the jaw.

But i reckon i can cope with the Mental and Physical side of the excersise.