View Full Version : Stupid question maybe, but it's about hooks.

bagelgod
01-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey guys, I have a question that may/may not be fairly stupid. I've been boxing for about 3 months, and have learned to do the hook with my palm facing down.

Recently, a friend of mine said that it was amatuerish, and that real hooks are done with the palm facing you.

What is the correct form? Does one have advantages where the other doesn't, or are they identical? Thanks.

j
01-11-2008, 11:28 PM
no such thing as correct form the way you are talking about it.

work 'em both in sparring and find out what you think the differences are. that way you learn and can build a solid base instead of relying on what others say.

THE REED™
01-11-2008, 11:41 PM
fighters throw punches all different ways.... id have to say both are used... whatever comes more natural and fluent to you, should becompletely fine... not with all things... some things you need to do a certain way ... with which way the palm faces on a hook... thats all about the fighter and what feels comfortable.. me personally... i use both.... why not have two different left hooks in your arsenal rather than one..

Darkstranger
01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
In amateur bouts the judges like to see the palm facing down. It makes it easier for them to see a clean hit using the white part of your gloves.

kayjay
01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
You can fight classic examples of both.

BrooklynBomber
01-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Both can be used, I, for one, throw hook palm facing down when I throw long half jab half hook and throw hook with a palm facing me in a short distance.

kayjay
01-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Both can be used, I, for one, throw hook palm facing down when I throw long half jab half hook and throw hook with a palm facing me in a short distance.

Didn't Tommy Morrison throw it face down?

BrooklynBomber
01-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Didn't Tommy Morrison throw it face down?

I think not. Neither did Lewis.

But I noticed that if I throw it face down I usually get a more accurate shot. Especially if the opponent is moving back and it works especially well if he moves back in a streight line with a jab to my face.

BrooklynBomber
01-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I am watching Morrison/Ruddock as we speak to double check

BrooklynBomber
01-12-2008, 02:12 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzPB6I9R6LE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzPB6I9R6LE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Quick forward this to 1:25, you will see that he throws it with a palm facing him.

kayjay
01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Good work Brook. Though that was an in-close hook and like you said palm in is better close

podxvost
01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Its about what is more comfortable to you. I prefer palm facing me, that just feels more natural, plus less chances on damaging my pinky.

moy22487
01-15-2008, 09:55 PM
is it me or is palm down leave the body open just a bit longer??

sterling
01-15-2008, 10:37 PM
palm down is for speed and palm facing u is for power.

West24
01-15-2008, 11:28 PM
i think its the other way around, when im far and wanting to throw a harder hook, ill throw it palm down. up close when you want to do a quick flury, i think it looks retaded, and doesnt work well throwing palm down. i have to do it palm towards me. my coach keeps telling me to do it palm down, but i feel the palm towards me in that situation is so much more effective for me.

n4kapa
01-16-2008, 06:15 AM
I get alot more power with the palm facing me. palm facing the floor just has never felt natural to me. But my trainer gets pissed when I have the palm facing me. I try to tell him that it doesnt feel right but he doesnt speak any english. Makes for a pretty difficult training session cause he slaps me across the face or punches me in the stomach when he catches me doing it. but like everyone said before, do what works for you.

Onslow.
01-16-2008, 06:35 AM
I get alot more power with the palm facing me. palm facing the floor just has never felt natural to me. But my trainer gets pissed when I have the palm facing me. I try to tell him that it doesnt feel right but he doesnt speak any english. Makes for a pretty difficult training session cause he slaps me across the face or punches me in the stomach when he catches me doing it. but like everyone said before, do what works for you.

You are kidding me... he can't be beating you up for mistakes. Thats just not right.

Anyway, my trainer tells me the same thing. Palm down, because it scores better. But i feel like sometimes i'll break my wrist if i throw like that. I like the anology about fist sideways for power, down for speed- its true.