View Full Version : I am back...just got some work in with Sultan

danny stash
01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Nah, I didnt spar with him, would have liked to. I just did dome strength and conditioning with him. Really nice guy, very limited English. He is a tuff SOB...

See pic

THE REED™
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
cool man... sounds like a great experience!

sukhenkoy
01-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Damn man, nice! How'd you get such an opportunity?

danny stash
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
fortunately in my gym punch fitness, my trainer knows alot of the guys and we get alot of big names passing through. Its right in Fort Lauderdale and yes I am extremely fortunate...

Good luck tommorow kiddo

BrooklynBomber
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Great stuff, Danny.

So, how is sultan, is he a strong bastard?

danny stash
01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
From what I gathered he must be the farmer type strength guy that suprises the hell out of you. Because he is not that big for a heavyweight (obviously) but yeah he seemed to be alot stronger than his size and appearance dictated. Klitschko strong???

Not sure about that one, but who is??

BrooklynBomber
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
From what I gathered he must be the farmer type strength guy that suprises the hell out of you. Because he is not that big for a heavyweight (obviously) but yeah he seemed to be alot stronger than his size and appearance dictated. Klitschko strong???

Not sure about that one, but who is??

That's boxing type of strength.
Boxers are usually very strong for their size mainly due to a very efficient use of muscle mass(especially the efficient use of motoric units)

danny stash
01-11-2008, 02:06 AM
true....

I am 220

LOL

motoric units bring the pain!!!

Darkstranger
01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice one Danny boy! Must've been a top experience for you!

How's the training going bro?

:boxing:

danny stash
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Training is still going great. I have not stepped it up to the next level yet, but I am planning on doing so real soon. Hows by you mate?

Banderivets
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Great man, woulda been cool if you got in the ring with him.

BTW Is he actually 6'2 as listed? He never looked it to me.

danny stash
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I am 6 2 and I think I had him by at least a half inch. I would say he is 6 1- 6'1 and a half

potatoes
01-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Presumably you were too short to be of value as a sparring partner. That is unfortunate because you never really find out just how good the top guys are until you have to face them in the ring. Did you get a chance to observe Ibragimov sparring? What do you think he is going to do about Klitschko's jab?

danny stash
01-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Truth be told as far what I think his game plan is going to be slip klit's jab and step in and bang him inside nullifying klits power. In my humble opinion I think Sultan has to fight the perfect fight, by not get getting hit with anything of substance. I think he is sharp, quick and crafty enough to get in get out and out point klit if he keeps his ego in check. I think ironically that he is going to try to outpressure the bigger man and keep it inside. If Klit can get his jab off at will this is going to be a quick and uneven fight. If Sultan can find away to get inside and stay inside and use his powerful inside hooks to wear down Klit we may have a fight. I would like to see Sultan win but I am not sure he call pull it off...

potatoes
01-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Truth be told as far what I think his game plan is going to be slip klit's jab and step in and bang him inside nullifying klits power. In my humble opinion I think Sultan has to fight the perfect fight, by not get getting hit with anything of substance. I think he is sharp, quick and crafty enough to get in get out and out point klit if he keeps his ego in check. I think ironically that he is going to try to outpressure the bigger man and keep it inside. If Klit can get his jab off at will this is going to be a quick and uneven fight. If Sultan can find away to get inside and stay inside and use his powerful inside hooks to wear down Klit we may have a fight. I would like to see Sultan win but I am not sure he call pull it off...

Last time I checked the bookmaker had Ibragimov at +400, which in my opinion was good odds inasmuch I had figured that the fight was a 50/50 proposition. However, in view of your analysis, Ibragimov's chance of victory seems much less likely. I seriously doubt that Ibragimov has the speed to slip Klitschko's jab for a body attack, and even if he did I doubt he has the power to chop off Klitschko's legs. If I were Ibragimov's trainer I would be concentrating on lateral movement both from the feet and from the waist, countering the lazy jab and running him down when he pulls straight back. Like most big men Klitschko has a high center of gravity and gets out of balance quite easily. Ibragimov could use this to his advantage to knock Klitschko to the canvass. May not hurt him, but looks good on the score card.

Do you remember when Lance Whitaker grabbed him by the neck in the pre-fight promotion? Ibragimov actually hit him with a counter lefthook to the chin by using leverage to restabilize himself. The same sort of opportunity will come along when Klitschko starts clutching and grabbing. I don't know if he is training for it, but he should be.

danny stash
01-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I like your assesment way more than mine. I am ver interested to see if this fight can more than a one sided jab fest.

potatoes
01-14-2008, 11:56 AM
I like your assesment way more than mine. I am ver interested to see if this fight can more than a one sided jab fest.

Your assessment was very valuable to me! I was planning to bet big on Ibragimov, however in view of latest intelligence it would appear that Klitschko hasn't got too much to worry about.

Darkstar
01-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Great work, with the current WBO Heavyweight champ. Did I also read in another thread you trained with Mayorga?

danny stash
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes, I did some strength and conditioning with him. We did the ladder and some other exercises. Nothing all that crazy but it was interesting to see how I gauged up against some of the big names. Mayorga does not have what you would call good footwork but he obviously makes up for that with power and heart. Cool ass dude on top of that.

PS: Eli is starting to turn into the QB we needed. Do we have a shot against Favre in Lambeau or what?

potatoes
01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Isn't Klitschko training somewhere down there in Florida? Walk into the gym and with a bit of luck you might get some sparring. Once he bounces his fist off your nose a few times you will soon come to the conclusion that moving your head is more than just an interesting topic of debate! :biggthump

Darkstar
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Yes, I did some strength and conditioning with him. We did the ladder and some other exercises. Nothing all that crazy but it was interesting to see how I gauged up against some of the big names. Mayorga does not have what you would call good footwork but he obviously makes up for that with power and heart. Cool ass dude on top of that.

PS: Eli is starting to turn into the QB we needed. Do we have a shot against Favre in Lambeau or what?

Yeah Mayorga isnt exactly textbook, but who knows if he even gave it 100% lol. I would still love to train with one of my fav boxers.

Eli is the real deal, just like the last two weeks the Giants are a very live dog. I give them a good shot this sunday.

danny stash
01-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Isn't Klitschko training somewhere down there in Florida? Walk into the gym and with a bit of luck you might get some sparring. Once he bounces his fist off your nose a few times you will soon come to the conclusion that moving your head is more than just an interesting topic of debate! :biggthump
HaHa, I think I would rather get hit by lightning than a few of the big ukraines jabs. I heard he was training down here as well and he was at the hollywood hard rock a few weeks back but I am not sure where he is training. At this point I would NOT step in the ring with him unless he had 2 hands tied behind his back.

aussieboxer2320
01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
ur lucky as that'd b awsum training with a world champ n all

potatoes
01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
HaHa, I think I would rather get hit by lightning than a few of the big ukraines jabs. I heard he was training down here as well and he was at the hollywood hard rock a few weeks back but I am not sure where he is training. At this point I would NOT step in the ring with him unless he had 2 hands tied behind his back.

How do you know Klitschko is not afraid of you? One lefthook to the liver and he might start doing a Ukrainian ballet!

danny stash
01-23-2008, 09:02 AM
How do you know Klitschko is not afraid of you? One lefthook to the liver and he might start doing a Ukrainian ballet!
ahhh...

"the punchers chance"

that would be the story of my career if I chose to do so...

Phantasm
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Awesome...I met and chatted with Timor Ibragimov some years ago after beating a guy early on in his career. We invited him to sit with us and chatted it up. Seemed like a cool guy too.
Sultan doesnt seem like a bulky guy...whats your take on him?

potatoes
01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
ahhh...

"the punchers chance"

that would be the story of my career if I chose to do so...

Sam Peter seems to have done alright and he is still learning how to move his head. Just think what he would have done to Klitschko if he hadn't been blocking punches with his face? Moving your head ain't all that hard to do. It is more a matter of discipline than skill. Peter comes to the ring at least 20 pounds overweight which should tell you something about his discipline and why he hasn't developed adequate skills.

Phantasm
01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey Danny, who is Sultan using as sparring partners?

danny stash
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Sam Peter seems to have done alright and he is still learning how to move his head. Just think what he would have done to Klitschko if he hadn't been blocking punches with his face? Moving your head ain't all that hard to do. It is more a matter of discipline than skill. Peter comes to the ring at least 20 pounds overweight which should tell you something about his discipline and why he hasn't developed adequate skills.
my trainer actually conditioned Sam Peter for that fight with Klit for a week or so. He said Peter's motivation is lacking in terms of getting in shape.

danny stash
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
my trainer actually conditioned Sam Peter for that fight with Klit for a week or so. He said Peter's motivation is lacking in terms of getting in shape.

danny stash
01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey Danny, who is Sultan using as sparring partners?
I dont know the answer to that because one I have not asked and two he has his own gym down the road from mine that he does his sparring in. He is only doing strength and conditioning at mine with a dude named jermemy who is the conditioning coach for FAU and the Dolphins football teams. I think Ray Austin may be in their cuz he is in our gym occassionally and would be a great sparring partner for Sultan. Although a russian with that prodding style of pushing his opponent off balance would be a ideal as well. Know any?

BrooklynBomber
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
I dont know the answer to that because one I have not asked and two he has his own gym down the road from mine that he does his sparring in. He is only doing strength and conditioning at mine with a dude named jermemy who is the conditioning coach for FAU and the Dolphins football teams. I think Ray Austin may be in their cuz he is in our gym occassionally and would be a great sparring partner for Sultan. Although a russian with that prodding style of pushing his opponent off balance would be a ideal as well. Know any?

Vladimir Virchis.

sterling
01-24-2008, 07:10 PM
hmm sounds gd i hope sultan wins jus for the upset lol.

potatoes
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM

How about Julius Long? He would be a great sparring partner after he learns how to throw a jab.

Bigcat
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I love Sultan and i am so glad he is working with Jeff Mayweather now.. He got dropped by Friday Ahunanya when i was with him , he was leery after that incident and refused to hold or clinche.. He just ran a bit more.. Great fast hands and great output, he deserves his title but needs to stop being too proud to hold if in trouble.. God bless..

potatoes
01-26-2008, 12:39 AM
I love Sultan and i am so glad he is working with Jeff Mayweather now.. He got dropped by Friday Ahunanya when i was with him , he was leery after that incident and refused to hold or clinche.. He just ran a bit more.. Great fast hands and great output, he deserves his title but needs to stop being too proud to hold if in trouble.. God bless..

What do you think his plan of attack will be against Klitschko?

danny stash
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
What do you think his plan of attack will be against Klitschko?
ahh potatoes apparently wagering an arm and a leg on this one if provided with proper info...

I am gonna get you the inside info, my buddy is Sultans gym everyday and Is tight with Jeff Mayweather.

potatoes
01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
ahh potatoes apparently wagering an arm and a leg on this one if provided with proper info...

I am gonna get you the inside info, my buddy is Sultans gym everyday and Is tight with Jeff Mayweather.

That Chinese philosopher, Fung Zu or whatever, once said that one good spy is worth a million soldiers. It never hurts to have "proper info."

You already know that styles make fights. What you may not be fully cognizant of is that few men have enough talent to change their style for one fight. Can Ibragimov change is style well enough to beat Klitschko. From what I have seen of him, I believe the answer to be yes. The question is will he do it?

Ibragimov is an European counterpuncher, and he is good at it. Unfortunately that is not an effective style to use against Klitschko, assuming Kitschko brings his A-game. Look at how many times Ibragimov got hit by Holyfield and he is not nearly as fast as Klitschko. Obviously Ibragimov has to come up with another plan. If he goes straight in on Klitschko he will most likely get knocked out. If Ibragimov can figure out how to come at him from the sides he's got an excellent chance of winning by knockout. Klitschko has no idea how to handle guys who don't stand in front of him.

By the way, you could do the same thing to Klitschko as well. Get your ass over there and do some sparring! :boxing:

danny stash
01-27-2008, 11:37 AM
That Chinese philosopher, Fung Zu or whatever, once said that one good spy is worth a million soldiers. It never hurts to have "proper info."

You already know that styles make fights. What you may not be fully cognizant of is that few men have enough talent to change their style for one fight. Can Ibragimov change is style well enough to beat Klitschko. From what I have seen of him, I believe the answer to be yes. The question is will he do it?

Ibragimov is an European counterpuncher, and he is good at it. Unfortunately that is not an effective style to use against Klitschko, assuming Kitschko brings his A-game. Look at how many times Ibragimov got hit by Holyfield and he is not nearly as fast as Klitschko. Obviously Ibragimov has to come up with another plan. If he goes straight in on Klitschko he will most likely get knocked out. If Ibragimov can figure out how to come at him from the sides he's got an excellent chance of winning by knockout. Klitschko has no idea how to handle guys who don't stand in front of him.

By the way, you could do the same thing to Klitschko as well. Get your ass over there and do some sparring! :boxing:
laughing to himself...

You are a boxing guru potatoes, ever think of doing some writing?

potatoes
01-27-2008, 01:00 PM
laughing to himself...

You are a boxing guru potatoes, ever think of doing some writing?

My father first put gloves on my hands over 50 years ago. That might be the reason that my views tend to be a bit old fashioned. How many of these young guys want to listen to some old fart lecturing them? Today there is too many side issues clouding the real purpose of boxing which is hitting and not getting hit. This is why in today's world a man with just a little bit of ability and a huge amount of diligence can go a long way in boxing.

danny stash
01-27-2008, 04:31 PM
My father first put gloves on my hands over 50 years ago. That might be the reason that my views tend to be a bit old fashioned. How many of these young guys want to listen to some old fart lecturing them? Today there is too many side issues clouding the real purpose of boxing which is hitting and not getting hit. This is why in today's world a man with just a little bit of ability and a huge amount of diligence can go a long way in boxing.
The problem is people underestimate the power of knowledge, when experience speaks I listen...

potatoes
02-04-2008, 11:47 AM
The problem is people underestimate the power of knowledge, when experience speaks I listen...

Listening is good, but knocking them out is even better! You will never know how good it feels until you try it. :biggthump