View Full Version : HELP TIPS: 145 vs. 235

VBoxer
01-09-2008, 06:04 PM
ok , heres the scenario:

I weigh in at 145lbs, 6'1". The guy I spar at my gym weighs 235lbs, 6'2". First of all I know I shouldn't be sparing with him, really its all I got. Anyways, I know I can beat him, but I don't know how to accomplish this. What are some suggestions??

Kayo
01-09-2008, 06:26 PM
If know you can you should know how to then. But thats a pretty big question considering we dont know how you fight and such. When i spar the heavies i usualy just go right at them make it an inside battle and score with quicker shots. and since im so close it smothers their power.

THE REED™
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
ok , heres the scenario:

I weigh in at 145lbs, 6'1". The guy I spar at my gym weighs 235lbs, 6'2". First of all I know I shouldn't be sparing with him, really its all I got. Anyways, I know I can beat him, but I don't know how to accomplish this. What are some suggestions??

well for one you HAVE to be way faster than he is... use your footmovement... u gata think of the things that your better at and use them to your advantage... think of his weaknesses and use them against him

THE REED™
If know you can you should know how to then. But thats a pretty big question considering we dont know how you fight and such. When i spar the heavies i usualy just go right at them make it an inside battle and score with quicker shots. and since im so close it smothers their power.

also not a bad idea

msagrain
Is he unfit?

VBoxer
01-09-2008, 10:02 PM
yeah hes a little out of shape. he is a big guy though, with power and has a longer reach then i do

Count Patron
01-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I would find a new sparring partner. You aren't going to gain much from him.

FIGHTING_FLIP
01-10-2008, 01:16 AM
i sparred a 250 pounder..and im 145..go for the body alot the first round and by the 2nd his hands will be real real low..then you can have fun wit it.

Count Patron
01-10-2008, 01:17 AM
i sparred a 250 pounder..and im 145..go for the body alot the first round and by the 2nd his hands will be real real low..then you can have fun wit it.

Or get your head taken off when you drop your glove to go for that body shot ;) Not all big guys are terribly slow.

GrizzleBoy
01-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Or get your head taken off when you drop your glove to go for that body shot ;) Not all big guys are terribly slow.
Truth.

Im one of the biggest guys in my gym and I have the fastest handspeed.

Rane-Ex54
01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I would just box the hell outta that dude, I wouldn't suggest going inside to much on him, cause if you get caught, its gonna hurt. Move around him, jab, box, move aroudn the ring, get that dude tired, then blast him with some quick combinations. Always keep your gaurd up thou, especially when close, cause if he connects its most likly gonna hurt.

Dynamite Kid
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Over the top & underneath ,arching right hands over the top ,go to the body & switch up top , Either jump in rattlle of your quick fire combo's or if u are brave enough try & back him up drive to the ropes then use hooks when u get inside

taller people do not like being backed up its when they are most vulnerable IMO cause they are easier to hit due to the size of the target ,however if u give them the centre of the ring they can make it very difficult for u to close the range especially if they get the jab working well against u then u are relying on feints to get inside slipping punches & countering etc

Dynamite Kid
01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
it will say a lot about u as a fighter if u you yourself are able to identify the adjustments u need to make instead of getting other peoples advice it will mean u can adapt when u need to & deal with different circumstances & styles

after all its like soemone said earlier u know how u fight & how the other guy fights etc & u know who holds the physical advantages skill wise or gentically

Greatwhitehope
01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Put on 75 pounds.