View Full Version : To all those with abs.

Kwik-Swing
01-05-2008, 02:43 AM
What exactly were your routines, diets and how often did you exercise your abs to get them defined?

Another question. What should I be looking at eating? Protein foods, fruits?
Are carbs good or not?

thanks.

Tyson Jones
01-05-2008, 02:53 AM
500 situps a day

Salty
01-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Bombard your abs each day, and cut your body fat to be low. Not one exercise will get them for you, but a combination of muscular abs and low body fat will allow you to see definition.

Kwik-Swing
01-05-2008, 05:26 AM
ah k thnx.
so should i be taking any protein? bcuz i do after a solid 1-2hour workout..
and i heard that u should give ur muscles a rest? or should i just go ahead and do crunches everyday?

Kwik-Swing
01-05-2008, 05:27 AM
oh and how long does it normally take (strict workout and diet) to see some definition?

Ell
01-05-2008, 06:14 AM
oh and how long does it normally take (strict workout and diet) to see some definition?

That's an unanswerable question, all depends on body fat percentage, metabolism, cardio work etc. But I know someone who had a body fat percentage of about 15% who got a six pack in just over 3 months work, he worked very hard at that and got his body fat percentage down to about 5%

FIGHTING_FLIP
01-05-2008, 06:32 AM
i think if you do about at least 200 sit ups a night, you will be fine and will have some abs in a couple of weeks or months..i did.

DutchDynamite
01-05-2008, 11:13 AM
You will only see your abs when your body fat falls below 15% (if you of course have them/worked on them)

If you do crunches every day but your body fat is like 20 up your six pack will be hiding behind your fat and you can even appear to be bigger because your daily sit ups will make the abs swollen, so do the crunches and all but do more cardio and watch that diet

D.I.E.S.E.L
01-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Don't commit to doing ab work outs every day because you'll burn yourself out quick. What you should do is start doing em about 3-4 days a week then progressively increase it if you want. As for diets, forget eating desserts and things you know you shouldn't be eating. Its that simple. Carbs are good but only if you are burning it off because if you don't it adds up as fat. Besides that make sure to have variety in your ab workout and u'll see results.

leff
01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
500 situps a day

1 that is muscle endurance not growth oriented strength training

2 that many nd every day is over trainig

SerbianKO
01-05-2008, 02:20 PM
best workout for abs is called PLANK
full plank:
http://www.pfitzinger.com/cc_plank2.jpg
for side abs:
http://fitnessforbettergolf.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/09/side_plank_progression_3.jpg
do each (full,left side,right) for 1min....

only your forearms and toes can touch ground, and you gotta keep your back straight for full effect! It may be hard in start but you will get used to it soon and you'll see the results!

Thread Stealer
01-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Ab work is important for health, but for show, it's about diet, genetics, and cardio.

Eat small meals frequently, obviously low on fat.

Lift weights too, because that burns fat.

Having visible abs is about low body fat percentage, not doing a ton of ab work.

ExecutiveOutlaw
01-05-2008, 03:14 PM
i was able to see my abs since i was like 13 when i started doing situps. its because i was so skinny (or in other words, low body fat). I think thats the easiest way to get definition, lower your body fat as much as possible, then do the situps and leglifts

mr tricky
01-05-2008, 03:55 PM
i used to want abs, all i did was change my food a little bit i wouldnt eat as much crap and wasnt as greedy a did s minor amount of sit ups, but mainly didnt eat much junk food and stuff, i walked alot and biked, eventuly they just came and people told me i had a six pack, but now they are gone andi have fat but i can louse that fat agin if i want to

Kayo
01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
For your abs to be visible you need to have a low body fat % to do that you must burn more calories than you take it. Simple Eh? To build the muscles their are multiple exercises you can do but as long as you do them with proper technique you will build up the abdominal muscles. If your trying to get a six pack for just the **** of it, work your abs 3 times a week and work on diet. IF you plan on boxing the ab routine is much more strenious and focus's more on building a strong firm core that can endure so you'll be doing ab workouts around 5-6 days a week with alot more volume.

AndersonSilva
01-05-2008, 05:25 PM
do bicycle sit ups i did like 300 last night but i did some normal situps also, crunches so in total 500+ do em everynight stay away from sugar, and fat foods. youll be solid within a few weeks.

triggnom
01-05-2008, 07:27 PM
depends how fat you are,

but you should prob do some stair exercises to get the fat off your stomach

ab exercises make your abs bigger and harder, I did em every other day, 4 sets of 30 crunches, bicycles for 30 sec. at a time maybe 3 sets of em, these is basic here to start with, doo thiss along with some running, or just running the stairs, and you'll be good.

Kwik-Swing
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
thank alot for the help guys. this helped alot

Darkstar
01-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Rotational work. dont limit your self to situps and crunches. Full contact twists are key.

Hagler★
01-06-2008, 08:06 AM
i was born with mine :banana:

Kwik-Swing
01-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Rotational work. dont limit your self to situps and crunches. Full contact twists are key.

ok. what type of exercises should i be looking at?

lilrip133
01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
what i normally do is 3 sets of 50 bicycle v-ups with a 5 pound medicine ball, then 3 sets of 30 sit-ups with a medicine ball, and that guy that said "the plank" knows what he's talking about. when i first did it, even though i had a sick six pack it killed me. but now i do that 3 sets of each position for 1:30. i do this about 5-6 days a week along with running.

hill workouts are also often overlooked on ab-building. the abs are what lift your legs when going uphill so id suggest throwing one or two of those into your road work every week. (stairs are a good substitute too)

id suggest starting out doing 45 seconds to a minute on the plank. until you develop the muscles in your abs enough in that exercise, it'll only hurt your back to try to do it any longer.

Pico Hollywood
01-10-2008, 03:00 AM
How do I keep my abs while increasing weight?

leff
01-10-2008, 07:50 AM

simply put you wont while bulking

leff
01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
why are people so obsessed with having toned abs? this aint body bulding

boxers should focus on strong abs able to endure body shots not worrying about how you will look on the beach

2swell k-wells
01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
why are people so obsessed with having toned abs? this aint body bulding

boxers should focus on strong abs able to endure body shots not worrying about how you will look on the beach

You must be one of those fat guys.

leff
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
You must be one of those fat guys.

nope

and you are who? the retard that trolls the training and nutrition section?

BrooklynBomber
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM

Unless you do carb cycling you don't. YOu can also do clean bulk which will also make you gain some fat, but it is really nothing compared to muscle gains.

2swell k-wells
01-10-2008, 12:42 PM
nope

and you are who? the retard that trolls the training and nutrition section?

Scratch out the "retard" and then you got it right Clump.

THE REED™
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
That's an unanswerable question, all depends on body fat percentage, metabolism, cardio work etc. But I know someone who had a body fat percentage of about 15% who got a six pack in just over 3 months work, he worked very hard at that and got his body fat percentage down to about 5%

5%? thats ridiculous.. im not denying he did it.... but he would seriously have to kill himself to get down to that

and u can do 6000 sit ups a day and youll never see your abs if you have fat over them... its 65% diet and 35% cardio

assassin911
01-20-2008, 04:06 AM
You will only see your abs when your body fat falls below 15% (if you of course have them/worked on them)

If you do crunches every day but your body fat is like 20 up your six pack will be hiding behind your fat and you can even appear to be bigger because your daily sit ups will make the abs swollen, so do the crunches and all but do more cardio and watch that diet

That's wrong I brought myself up to 15% body fat to gain more muscle and I can still see my six pack.

Spirit
01-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Ofcourse you can, proper lighting seems to help a lot as well, that doesn't mean they're toned. Pinch the skin over the abs to see what I'm talking about

jdubb863
01-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Im at 12% bodyfat and do crunches, leg raises, situps.... and no abs...? Im not on a very strict diet tho but i dont eat like a pig either... hmmm

Tyson Jones
01-21-2008, 02:17 PM
500 a day 5 days a week. Thats my ab workout and has been for 4 years. 500 at first is alot but its really not that bad at all once your used to it. I eat whatever I want, except for sweets, cereal in the morning, usually a steak or some sort of meat for lunch and then a good dinner of whatever at night. I weigh 175 pounds with a very toned abs.

xSOUTHPAWx
01-22-2008, 05:44 AM
im lazy.. and at 18% body fat.. you can see my abs (not super deifned)

just saying. (mines are also really developed)

i get on decline with 35 lb dumbell on my chest and rep out 20x5 then medicine ball work with a friend.. then normal 15rep sets of crunches reverse situps and side situps (that workout twice a week.. but crunches everyday)..

i eat to much..

18% 189ish. **** it

GoodBoxfella
01-22-2008, 06:29 AM
This is what I done did.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOri5Tlm23c&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOri5Tlm23c&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

xSOUTHPAWx
01-22-2008, 06:42 AM
goodboxfella..

if u get tired doing that..

nvm.. im gonna be nice.

GoodBoxfella
01-22-2008, 06:43 AM
goodboxfella..

if u get tired doing that..

nvm.. im gonna be nice.

Please elaborate. Speak your mind.

xSOUTHPAWx
01-22-2008, 06:47 AM
that workout wouldnt even break a sweat.. espeically in the allotted time ..

i do my ab work at the end of my workout.. when im exhausted.. and for just my everday ab work.. it lasts over 12 minutes.

just sayin.. all theses little abs instantly videos are a croc.. invest in a medicine ball.. and take 30 minutes of ur day.. not 3...

GoodBoxfella
01-22-2008, 06:52 AM
I'd say this one is the best out of the fake bunch. I think they all work to a certain degree(Although not even close to what those assclowns moan about over and over on tv) and I have tried this. I think a lot of people that do hundreds of reps for abs don't target their abs as effective as something like this. I guarentee you that you won't even come close to doing so many reps if you train your abs effectively on the right muscles. the stuff on the vid takes me a few minutes and hits the abs like no normal sit ups do. that's why I don't get tired in the whole body.

RAFA KLUG
01-22-2008, 07:59 AM
that workout wouldnt even break a sweat.. espeically in the allotted time ..

i do my ab work at the end of my workout.. when im exhausted.. and for just my everday ab work.. it lasts over 12 minutes.

just sayin.. all theses little abs instantly videos are a croc.. invest in a medicine ball.. and take 30 minutes of ur day.. not 3...

that aint completely right, i train my abs like 3-4 times a week and i invest like 10 minutes per workout, and i got some big square abs with stringed obliques, you gotta eat proper, thats alll i gotta say, low fat and high protein

the coach workout seems pretty damn good, i mean you only need a couch, if you do the exercises correctly, which means with concentration, im shure you can get sum nice abs with it

but as i said, itz all in the nutrition