View Full Version : ? for the guys who lift weights here (punchdrunk, fraidycat, speedkillz)

batista
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Do you think that Squatting 3x per week along with running 6x per week, and boxing 3x per week, will be too much? The program is the basic Rippetoe model which is:

WORKOUT A
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

WORKOUT B
Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5
Power Clean/Rows 3x5

Done 3x per week alternating each workout. I am not willing to drop the roadwork because as you know it is essential to boxing and keeps the weight down.

Just looking for some more power in my punches. Thanks in advance.

:boxing:

SpeedKillz
01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
personally i think thats all good if u got the work capacity. jus make sure to give ur body a rest when u need to (you'll know when!) other than that if u can handle the workload then by all means hit it up that program looks like it would make u MAD strong plus if ur doin roadwork 6 days a week (which is great by the way) u should become a machine in the near future. i like it. good luck!

wigsa
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I lift a lot of weights for rugby and during the season one thing i notice is that my legs can tire easily while training when i squat alot that day or the day before.Everybody's different so by all means give it a go and see how you feel after a week or 10 days.You should listen to your body at that stage.

nedcmk1
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
if you are going heavy 3x a week on squats it is too much squats. you'll be very imjury prone.

Kayo
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
If you have the genetics to be able to do that without feeling overtrained, then go for but as soon as you start feeling it take a rest otherwise that extra training will become harmful. I train my legs 2x a week along with my roadwork

Detroit101
01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
3x per week is way too much....you will end up doing more damage than good....your muscles need at least 48 to 72 hrs to recover when training heavy...and on top of that you are running which is also taxing them...

I would run and limit heavy lifting to st most 2x per week...also a good supplement to help them recover faster is amino acids...i believe it to be one of the most important supplements in any athletes diet...along with protien and multi vitamins.

my leg routine consists of 900 reps 2x per week....light weight / body weight, high intensity low rest....i stay away from going too heavy for too long....every 6 weeks I change it up from light to medium to heavy....so that I am always developing fast twitch muscle fiber along with strength and stamina....I want to be well rounded!

salsaking
01-03-2008, 04:00 PM
You will definitely be overtraining. Don't risk future injury in my opinion.

batista
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the input, fellas. I am going to think it through.

PunchDrunk
01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Sorry for the late reply, been away at training camp... I agree totally with the people who said it's too much. With that kind of activity, even twice a week will be a stretch, unless you're a seasoned weightlifter turned boxer...

PunchDrunk
01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
It's a bad idea to stack those 3 major muscle group lifts into one work-out. Here is my work-out schedule that is much more efficient and effective.

Monday:

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Wed:

Legs

Friday:

Back, Biceps

You sure you're in the right forum? This is boxing, not bodybuilding.... :nonono:

2swell k-wells
01-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I lift weights all the time and your doing it all wrong boi.

Dont listen to PunkDrunk.

Detroit101
01-06-2008, 06:52 PM
im new to boxing, but I know the proper weight program will help you tremendously.....any one who tells you otherwise does not have a clue about the human body......

GTL
01-06-2008, 10:36 PM
If you think guys like Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis etc got the size they were from hitting a heavy bag and jumping rope you are sadly mistaken.
he never disagreed about using weights my man..
punchdrunk uses weights to train

PunchDrunk
01-07-2008, 05:04 AM
If you think guys like Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis etc got the size they were from hitting a heavy bag and jumping rope you are sadly mistaken.

You're talking about size, like that is the only thing anyone could possibly want from weights. Case in point, my stab at you about bodybuilding and your split program (which is for bodybuilding, not athletes).

batista
01-07-2008, 07:19 AM
You're talking about size, like that is the only thing anyone could possibly want from weights. Case in point, my stab at you about bodybuilding and your split program (which is for bodybuilding, not athletes).

PunchDrunk,

If I was to go ahead with my strength training plan but drop the roadwork, do you think that would be a wise choice? I am very weak at the moment (by most standards) and feel I could get enough conditioning work for a 3x2 minute bout by just doing my skill training. Strength is something I drastically need to improve.

Thanks for your time.

PunchDrunk
01-07-2008, 07:30 AM
PunchDrunk,

If I was to go ahead with my strength training plan but drop the roadwork, do you think that would be a wise choice? I am very weak at the moment (by most standards) and feel I could get enough conditioning work for a 3x2 minute bout by just doing my skill training. Strength is something I drastically need to improve.

Thanks for your time.

No, I think that would be a mistake. If you're as weak as you seem to think you are, 3x of heavy squatting a week will be overkill for you, even if you do nothing else but lay on the couch for the rest of the week. You'll have to build up your work capacity as well as your strength. My suggestion would be 2-3x roadwork, 1x heavyish squats, 1x dynamic effort squats (ie. very light, focus on speed). This would be the absolute most I think you'll be able to handle, based on your description, and the better balance for boxing.

batista
01-07-2008, 07:51 AM
No, I think that would be a mistake. If you're as weak as you seem to think you are, 3x of heavy squatting a week will be overkill for you, even if you do nothing else but lay on the couch for the rest of the week. You'll have to build up your work capacity as well as your strength. My suggestion would be 2-3x roadwork, 1x heavyish squats, 1x dynamic effort squats (ie. very light, focus on speed). This would be the absolute most I think you'll be able to handle, based on your description, and the better balance for boxing.

Okay, thanks and will do.

Onslow.
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Anyway, Batista - instead of gaining muscle in order to get stronger - focus on perfecting technique and putting all your effort into your strikes.

Drill your punches until your technique allows for the strength (you feel) you lack.

Detroit101
01-07-2008, 10:19 AM
if your prime concern is strength in the beginning, you should try doing excersises that will force your upper body and legs to work in unison....like cleans, snatch and hang snatch along with squats.....these excersises are the best for buiding strength, co-ordination and the production of testosterone.....however; take some time and make sure your form is perfect before trying them with a decent amount of weight on the bar.........

PunchDrunk
01-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I lift for strength, but Evander Holyfield's physique is pretty indicative of his time spent in a weight room among other things.

It's not a split program. Those muscles groups go together. It makes sense to do triceps and shoulders with chest because when you do bench guess what secondary muscles you are using ;). I have never been a bodybuilder, but I have been a very successful wrestler, football player and boxer... my program is an athletic program. A body building program would break it down way more than that and be more than 3 days a week, but to each his own. Cheers.

Holyfield's physique is indicative of a cruiserweight wanting to go to heavyweight because that is where the money, fame and future challenges were for him. That is something nobody in here have any use for, so using him as an example is useless. Besides, you said that If you think guys like Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis etc got the size they were from hitting a heavy bag and jumping rope you are sadly mistaken, which clearly indicates you were talking about size.

Do you even know what a split program is? Evidently not. Since you claim that your program is not a split program because "those muscle groups go together," shows you have no clue what a split program is.
There is full body and there is split programs. You divide your workouts into bodyparts and even specific muscles, therefore it IS a split program.

Thinking in specific muscles, like you do, rather than in MOVEMENTS is not the way to go for athletes. Athletes don't need to train exercises that isolate their triceps and shoulders, because guess what? In boxing (and pretty much any other sport) you NEVER use your triceps in and isolated manner. You do movements where the triceps work in synchronization with the other muscles of the body.

Detroit101
01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
thats why I said compound movements like snatch, cleans & hang snatch..........you use your whole body and gain more strength than most others.........