View Full Version : New Program

The Jake
05-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Ok - so here's what I'm thinking

Monday (Bench/Squat)
Bench Press 6 sets x 3 reps
Squat 6 sets x 3 reps
Forearms and maybe biceps here as well...
e.g.
Barbel Curls 3 sets of 3
DB curls 3 sets of 3
Hammer curls 3 sets of 3
Overhand burns 3 sets

Tuesday (roundout everything)
Incline bench 3 sets of 3
Military Press 3 sets of 3 reps
Bent over lateral raises 3 sets of 3
Close Grip Bench Press 3 sets of 3
Dips 3 sets of 3
Barbel Curls 3 sets of 3
DB curls 3 sets of 3
Calves 6 sets of heavy weight (10-20 reps)
Abdominal work

Friday (back/biceps)
Deadlifts 6 sets of 3 reps
Widegrip Pullups 3 sets to failure
Chins 3 sets to failure
Bent over rows 3 sets of 3
Hyperextensions 3 sets to failure
Lying Leg curls 3 sets to failure

Idea:
- All muscles worked within 3 work outs
- Major core exercises (Bench/Squat/Deadlift) are worked extra hard. Six sets, 3 reps, 3-5min rest between sets.
- Auxillary work on other muscle groups to maintain balance.
- A day rest in between workouts, with two days complete rest over weekens to prepare for next week training.
- Strictly for increasing power.

Due to the low reps, I want to reduce the frequency of training hence, this routine. Depending on how I feel I may even reduce frequency so I train one day, take two off.
e.g.
Mon train, Tue & Wed rest, Thurs train, Fri & Sat rest, Sun train,

I suspect with a routine this heavy, that might work better but I won't know until I try...

Let me know what you think.

- The Jake

ArjukanpoKarate
05-03-2003, 04:17 PM
It looks good to me, not that I would really know baby. You could always ask Spice by e-mail...

Tom
05-03-2003, 08:33 PM
looks alright but if you are doing purely strength training, i would reduce the amount of sets on your major parts to around 3 sets of 6 reps or less.

The Jake
05-03-2003, 11:44 PM
I might end up cutting back but I find that three heavy working sets on the big lifts, well I feel like I should have done more. I might do at least 4 and see how I go. Most powerlifting programs have 6 sets on the big lifts. I think that's often largely though because there's no work on auxilliary muscles.

- The Jake

Magic Man
05-04-2003, 09:12 AM
I've never really seen this type of workout, since I generally use a four day split to split the workouts into non-intrusive body parts, so I really wouldn't know what to comment on mate.

It sure as hell looks like a lot of work, but I'm not sure why you want to mix everything up in such a fashion - for instance on mon and tues, it looks like you're working your chest again a day after a heavy chest day - meaning that you aren't giving it enough time to recover...is there a reason for this? I've seen a fair few different types of workouts, and I've never seen any that advocate doing the same muscle group a day after doing it the first time.

From a bbing point of view, the shortest rest break I've seen between doing chest again in the same week is Ronnie Coleman's 3-3-1, where he does chest on monday (heavy day) and then again on wednesday (lower weight high rep day).

From a powerlifting point of view - I believe I read this on Dr. Hatfield's site, to maximally work up to your 1rm, do chest on mondays (relatively low reps - usually around 6 in a set) and then again on fridays (mainly doubles, and singles).

but I mean if its working for you mate, by all means dont let text books stop ya.

- m

The Jake
05-04-2003, 07:50 PM
It's the sort of workout I see more on powerlifting than you do with bodybuilding.

I could do the usual

mon: chest/triceps/shoulders
wed: back/biceps/forearms
fri: quads/hams/calves

as well.... that works

**** it. I think I'll just do a Dave Draper and do it all instinctively.

- The Jake

Magic Man
05-05-2003, 05:35 AM
hahaha, dave draper also had the genetics and "gear" to do it :D

As for the split, have you ever tried a split like:

mon: chest, biceps
wed: legs, shoulders
fri: back, triceps, forearms

??? I read somewhere recently, that doing a chest and tri day together is antiquated training method, since the tris are already pre-exhausted by chest, hence your tri workout will be affected and you certainly wouldn't be able to use maximal poundage?

Just food for thought.

- m

submission_guy
05-05-2003, 06:24 AM
yeah thats true so i have changed from my old 4 day split to one the same as yours with chest/bi back/tri :)

The Jake
05-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Might do that next week Magic.

Dave laid off the gear a long time ago btw.

Tonight I did

Bench Press
Dumbell Press
Incline Dumbell Press
Flyes

Machine Shoulder Press
Lateral raises
Bent over raises

Close grip bench
Overhead extensions
Tricep pushdowns

Forearm burns

All were about 3-5 reps a set and very heavy. Bench I only did about 315lbs x 1 before conking out but 1) it's my first day back 2) haven't been eating lots 3) bit stressed atm and I'm sure that factored into the training. Given time it will bounce back and be heavier than ever. I have no doubt :)

- The Jake

Magic Man
05-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by submission_guy
yeah thats true so i have changed from my old 4 day split to one the same as yours with chest/bi back/tri :)

thats not my actual split sub, I just made a split that would logically fit 3 days, since Jarrod works out 3 days instead of 4.

I personally workout 4 days, and looks like:

Mon: Chest + Bis
Tues: Legs
Thurs: Back
Fri: Delts + Tris

back and legs are big workouts so I usually do only one bodypart on those days.

The Jake
05-05-2003, 07:56 AM
I normally do four but I want to cut down less. I want more time for recovery, especially if I'm doing such low reps.

- The Jake

Tom
05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Jake- i say cut out a lot of the exercises. Incline, a lot of the bicep excerises. All you need is two sets of bi excerises. I will post a routine that i have tried and got good results from when i get home, i'm at school right now.

Stain
05-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Why would you cut out inclines Tom?

Magic Man
05-06-2003, 10:35 AM
yeah, inclines are mad important.

If there's any sort of bench work that can be cut out, it's declines, since weighted dips achieve the same thing and are better mass builders and you don't get a rush of blood to the head.

Magic Man
05-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Oh, I agree that not so much needs to be done with bis - BUT you definitly need more than 2 exercises, preacher cambered/regular curls are good for mass, bd curls are good for striation (added supination for forearms and brachialis), hammers are good for forearm and brachiais.

Stain
05-06-2003, 10:38 AM
I agree with Magic Man

Magic Man
05-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Thanks for agreeing with me, I feel all warm and fuzzy now :)

Tom
05-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Inclines aren't important to increase strength at all.

Tom
05-06-2003, 04:08 PM
This is the routine i used
warmup- 10-15mins on the bike
day 1
warmup
abs- Legraises (3 sets x max reps)
lSquat 3x6
legcurls 2x6
leg extentions 2x6
calfraises ***

day 2
warmup
bench 3x6
narrow grip bench 2x6
shoulder press 3x6
farmers stand 2x30secs
side raises 2x10

day 3
warmup
abds-weighted situps 3x6
deadlift 3x3, weight should feel kinda light, have no problem picking it up
seated rowing 3x6
chinups 2x max
reverse grip barbel curls 2x6
shrugs 2x10

calfraises *** i got this excerise from someone

1) Done in 3 minutes
1- do 10 reps in a standing calf raise machine at 20 secs, no rest
2- do 10 raises with just body weight, 20 secs, no rest
3- 10 raises standing on thje floor 20 secs, no rest
4- take about 50% off the machine and do 10 raises 20 secs
5 same as 2
6- same as 3
7- as number 4
8- #2
9- #3

This worked really well for me.

Tom
05-06-2003, 04:11 PM
oh, you usually weight 2-5 minutes between sets

also once a month try your max,

2x3 a@40%
3 @60%
1@80%
wait 5
1@95%
wait 5
1@100%
wait 5, etc etc, until you get your new max. and once you can do 6 reps increase weight as little as you can,

The Jake
05-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Inclines aren't important to increase strength at all.

Not true.

By increasing your incline bench this facilities an increase in strength to other areas of the body. Not the least of which is heavy shoulder pressing as well for your pectorals do tie into your deltoids.

I've found that a heavy incline = heavy military press. At least it helps.

Tom, the program isn't bad. The rep scheme is pretty much similar to what I use, excepy I'm keeping reps LOOOOOW atm (3-5).

- The Jake

The Jake
05-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Today I did whatever I felt again.

The absense of the rigidity of a program feels good.
Worked biceps/back/hamstrings

Barbell Curls
DB Curls
Hammer Curls

Wide grip Pullups
Chinups
Bent over rows

Lying leg curls
seated leg curls
hyperextensions

- The Jake

Magic Man
05-07-2003, 07:51 AM
I like programs, I progressed the most when i had it all planned out - but thats just me.

Stain
05-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Programs are great, but I hear what TheJake is saying. Sometimes just wandering around the gym and working whatever you feel like working that day is fun and I do it when I'm in between programs. I look at it as ****ing around but still getting something done.

Tom
05-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Bench works your deltoids also, so why try to fatigue them by doing another excerise?

The Jake
05-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Tom -
Because an incline changes the emphasis.

That's like saying why to concentration curls when you've already done barbell curls??

You do different exercises to stimulate different areas for growth.

LB -
That's exactly what I'm saying man. I go back to America in two weeks and I don't have a new program worked out. So until I do, it's just maintaining my gains and trying to increase my bench/squat/deadlift.

- The Jake

Magic Man
05-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by The Jake
Tom -

That's like saying why to concentration curls when you've already done barbell curls??

You do different exercises to stimulate different areas for growth

Exactly.

Tom
05-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by The Jake
Tom -

You do different exercises to stimulate different areas for growth.

- The Jake

So, i'm confused, why are you trying to get your muscles to grow? A strength routine isn't looking for muscle growth. Incline might hit the front and side delts a little different, but not so much that i think it should be included in a strength training routine. Bench press also hits the same delts. If you are truly looking to increase your bench, i would say work very hard on your tri's with close grip bench bress and or jm presses.