View Full Version : What Supplements/Vitamins do you like

Stain
04-27-2003, 01:50 AM
Currently I am taking:

Multivitamin in the morning
Glucosamine and MSM pill 1-2 times a day(my knees are shot)
4 Dessicated Liver pills 3 times a day
3-5 1000mg Vitamin C pills a day
3 or 4 Hydroxycuts in the morning
Glutamine Powder after my workouts
1 Tablespoon of Flaxseed oil 1 in the am and one in the pm

I cycle creatine and take it sometimes for a month.(I don't take thermos when on the creatine) Next time I take Creatine it will probably be Cell-Tech because my mom bought me a big tub of it. I doubt I'll ever buy it for myself though because there is alot of ****ing sugar in there.

Protein: I try to get at least 180 grams a day but I usually don't get that much. I use NoCarb Whey protein made by VPX, also some TwinLab whey protein that sucks and I'll never buy again, and I eat lots of tuna fish, turkey, steak, and for a snack I'll have a Detour Bar or a U-Turn bar. I also drink the Metrx RTD Protein drinks when I'm too lazy to make my own.

Right now my diets somewhat **** but I'm getting back on track with it.

Curly Howard
04-27-2003, 01:55 AM
Multivitamin in the morning
creatine twice a day......month on 2 weeks off
Protein in the afternoon

I'm going to try and gain weight so I'll be looking in to something for that.

Stain
04-27-2003, 02:15 AM
Curly to gain weight I'd suggest upping your protein intake to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. It will definately work, but be prepared to have some gas.

Curly Howard
04-27-2003, 02:18 AM
Thanks.....Yeah the creatine is bad for that also...I'll give it a try...I've been lifting more weight than usual and I seem to be loosing size.

Magic Man
04-27-2003, 12:20 PM
I mainly stick with with just some multi-vitamins in the morning and night, and about 4 protein shakes a day + regular food for 6 meals. I also take dextrose after a workout, just before the protein to ****e my insulin first.

I'm also currently cycled off creatine, will go back on in about 2 weeks.

Stain
04-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Hey Magic, excuse my ignorance but what's Dextrose?

Tom
04-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Dextrose is sugar, it's used post workout because it's a high GI carb and gets into the blood quick.

I take a multi in the morning/ triflex from GNC in morning
then i take 150 mg of 1-test/600 mg of 1,4 andro throughout the day.

Zen
04-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Right now I'm only taking a multivitamin in the morning and that is it. I hate the side effects of protein powder and creatine and anything like hydroxycut. I've found if I stay on a disciplined diet, it's as effective as supplementing and tastes a hell of a lot better. I'd prefer a tuna sandwich over a protein shake anyday. I do need to cut about 10 lbs., but if I stick to a good diet that shouldn't be a problem.

Curly Howard
04-29-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Zen420
Right now I'm only taking a multivitamin in the morning and that is it. I hate the side effects of protein powder and creatine and anything like hydroxycut. I've found if I stay on a disciplined diet, it's as effective as supplementing and tastes a hell of a lot better. I'd prefer a tuna sandwich over a protein shake anyday. I do need to cut about 10 lbs., but if I stick to a good diet that shouldn't be a problem.

What side effects are you having?

Stain
04-29-2003, 04:31 PM
The only "side affects" I get from protein are gas. And creatine can make you feel bloated I suppose...

Anything else is merely in your head my friend. :)

wondermut
04-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Not true James. Almost both protein shakes and creatine give me the ****z big time. Therefore I stay away from them.

Magic Man
04-29-2003, 09:08 PM
protein shakes cause me to have chronic gas, creatine does not agree with many people's stomachs - mine for example, it causes me to have the runs.

Magic Man
04-29-2003, 09:09 PM
oh, dextrose is not table sugar - table sugar is called sucrose, but yeah, it's a hi-GI carb.

Tom
04-29-2003, 10:56 PM
isn't it glucose?

Magic Man
04-30-2003, 08:44 AM
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/carbohydrates/sucrose.html

Sucrose, ordinary table sugar, is probably the single most abundant pure organic chemical in the world and the one most widely known to nonchemists. Whether from sugar cane (20% by weight) or sugar beets (15% by weight), and whether raw or refined, common sugar is still sucrose.

Stain
04-30-2003, 11:32 AM
mut your right about the ****s. I thought he was going to say side effects like steroids would give. I remember back when I was in highschool kids told me they wouldn't take creatine because it would give them mood swings. I just laughed and pretended like I agreed.

Tom
04-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Magic Man
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/carbohydrates/sucrose.html

Sucrose, ordinary table sugar, is probably the single most abundant pure organic chemical in the world and the one most widely known to nonchemists. Whether from sugar cane (20% by weight) or sugar beets (15% by weight), and whether raw or refined, common sugar is still sucrose.

what are you trying to get at? Isn't dextrose another name for glucose? I never said it was sucrose, i just siad it was sugar.

Magic Man
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
this doesn't happen often, but...I'M CONFUSED!!!!! Tom, what have you done?

Tom
04-30-2003, 01:27 PM
I'm confused too. Nevermind. I'm really confused.

Zen
05-01-2003, 11:05 AM
I was talking about the ****s with protein shakes. If I start drinking one or 2 a day I'm ****ting constantly and it just irritates the hell out of me, and they taste so ****ing horrid, that's why I stick to chicken and tuna. I should start using creatine again, because I do think it works and haven't had any side effects that I know of, have any of you ever pulled muscles while on creatine, that's one thing I've heard others complain of. I don't like thermogenic pills(Stacker2, Hydroxycut) just cause they make me feel all jittery and hyper and make my stomach feel like it's eating itself from the inside out.

submerged
05-05-2003, 04:36 AM
zen42:

Are you lactose intolerant? Everytime I drink a glass of milk, like clockwork, I have to shiz about 15 minutes later. I think I might be lactose intolerant.

The Jake
05-05-2003, 07:43 PM
LB -- those are good brand supplements btw.

My personal favorites:

Only supplements I buy consistently are:
- BodyRipped Protein Powder
(which is a special blend if ionised whey protein, casein, soy protein and other proteins for a timed release)
- Multivitamins (although we just recently had a large health scare so I'm only touching supplements I bought in America now).

Multivitamins include (specifically)
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Flaxseed Oil
- Rosehip Oil
- Vitamin C
- Zinc
- Magnesium
- Antioxidants
- A good general multivitamin

These help reduce fat, reduce inflammation and delayed onset muscle soreness and a wide variety of other factors.

If I weren't moving, I'd periodise this every few months with some Creatine (best brand I've ever used was another Aussie brand).

For any Aussie that cares, the best brand I've encountered is Vital Strength. Their creatine is hands down the best brand I've used to date (better than the CreatineHSC by AST) and so is their protein. However at last check their protein powder tasted terrible. That said, I believe they've redone the formula so it should be a lot better now, I just haven't tried it. It's also more expensive (not by much and still competitive) than the BodyRipped and you have to order in advance if you want big 5kg tubs like I buy of BodyRipped.

In America, the equivalent products are:
- Muscle Milk (which is good).
- CreatineHSC
These are what I'll prolly use out there. I don't believe in prohormones or any of that **** as all they've been proven to do is elevate eostrogen levels.

MAGIC -
Try the BodyRipped protein powder. One of the biggest reasons I buy it is that to date, it's one of the few protein powders I can mix with water and it DOESN'T make me feel sick. It sure as **** doesn't make me feel bloated.

There's a few protein powders that do. I find the AussieBodies brand is very very guilty to getting me bloated. So don't touch that. If you can try BodyRipped, Vital Strength or Max's. They all reasonably priced, high quality formulas and don't get me bloated and mix ok with water (which is important if you want to cut up).

- The Jake

The Jake
05-05-2003, 07:45 PM
BTW, yes many protein powders taste like crap. I spent the first two years of training flipping between protein powders, trying to find the protein powder that I like.

Now I'm moving to another country I gotta repeat the process (although I know most of the good brands by now from America as we get most of them).

- The Jake

DOGGx0
05-06-2003, 03:27 AM
only suppliment i take as of current is Hydroxycut. I have actually cut back on using that as of late. I have to do and on/ off season so my body does'nt grow immune and does'nt crave it. I was taking Cell Tech and Nitro Tech (all made by Muscle Tech).

Great products. Whether you want tto loose weight, gain mass, for protein, low carbs, etc etc.... this is the **** you wanna use.
Check it out: www.muscletech.com. You can view profiles of different body builders and so forth to get a good idea of how to use it, eatting habbits, etc etc.

The Jake
05-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Muscletech brand gets a lot of advertising but from what I understand it is not one of the better brands. I could be mistaken but that's my impression. That's also in accordance with independant product reviews I've read however. So take that as you will though.

Hydroxycut is very very good stuff (I got Xenadrine in America instead of that stuff) and it does work but you gotta use it in moderation. You certainly can't stay on that stuff for a prolonged period Dogg.

Your body's metabolism levels average out over time and it becomes used to that elevated level, which defeats the purpose of using ECA fat burner stacks. Which means you need to take more to get the desired effect. This you DO NOT WANT TO DO AS IT CAN KILL YOU (yes, there have been fatalities from this stuff - I think there was 23 in the United States alone so far IIRC...).

You need to cycle that **** for about 6-8 weeks, tops, then take at least two weeks off before beginning another cycle (I'd recommend a month) to give your body's metabolism time to step down a notch.

There's also a LOT of associated health risks with these products. You can't get potent versions of Hydroxycut here in Australia for instance because of it. Infact so many countries have had complications with this product, including deaths, that even the FDA in America is considering pulling it. The FDA has started to wise up on some of the risky supplements. For instance, in the State of California it is illegal to manufacture prohormones (like DHEA, or Andro). NOTE: It is NOT illegal to SELL or DISTRIBUTE. But it's only a matter of time before they tighten the legislation.

The other issue with these products is that people can often fall into a habit of relying on fat burner stacks to reduce bodyweight and this alone does not address the issue of poor diet and insufficient exercise which is the cause of excess weight in 99% of the population. And just FYI, the actual figure of people who have serious psychological or physiological diseases which affect their weight is less than 1%.

- The Jake

Tom
05-08-2003, 10:46 AM
You're exactly right Jake, MuscleTech isn't the best, it's very overpriced. If you want Creatine, buy creatine monohydrate from proteincostomerz.com (i think thats the site) for like 3.50 a lb and buy a lot of dextrose for 2.00 a lb and make your own cell tech. It saves a lot of money and is just as effective as theirs.