View Full Version : Just got back from SpirtMC13, HW grand Prix in Seoul

Virgil Caine
10-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I just got back a bit ago from the fights.. they were pretty entertaining. The HW grand prix went like this:

Semi Final #1. Joung-gyu Choi defeated Kelvin Fitial via armbar, Fitial was winning on the feet but was a fish out of water when it went to the ground.

Semi Final #2. Ruichi Murata defeated Gil-Myung Chun via Kimura from the mount. Gil-Myung was representing Tae Kwon Do, and he showed very impressive striking, landing hard shots that echoed through the stadium and bloodied Murata's face. However, once it went to the ground he could do nothing and was defeated easily. Chun is only 25 though, and could actually be a legitimate force if he can establish a ground game to go with his striking, which was very impressive.. you can trust me on that (Murata was being absolutly punished before he managed to get it to the ground).

Final: Murata defeated Choi via TKO in the third round. These too fought at a hard pace, mostly standing and trading.. a big difference in the fight was Murata thrice through Choi to the ground, each time with a textbook head-and arm, and controled him there. The end came though when the two were trading shots on their feet, and Murata landed a barrage of shots to his exausted and stunned opponent, which prompted the ref to stop the fight. Choi immediatly collapsed to the canvas, and remained on the canvas for several minutes as medical staff attended to him. Murata celebrated the win, but was very quick to check on his opponent and make sure he was ok. It was a very good fight, and Murata graciously addressed the crowed in Japanese (which I understand), which was translated to Korean (which I don't understand).. however, most of the crowd was already out the door, most of them leaving in disapointment, having placed high hopes in the Korean to defeat his Japanese rival. However, this gave me and my friend the opportunity to move up very close, and actually enter the ring to mingle with some fighters, including Kelvin Fitial.

Another notable fighter was 19 year old Kim-Dae Kon (actually, he's probably 17 or 18.. he was listed as 19 but Korean ages are 1-2 years ahead), who defeated 2 opponents to win the amateur Welterweight (70 Kilos, or about 154 pounds) grand prix tournament. He showed an all-around array of skills durring both victories, winning the first fight via armbar. He ended the second one early as well, although I can't recall the finnishing technique, or whether it was a KO or sub., though he frequently traded with both fighters.. though seemed equally willing to fight on the ground.

A particularly noteworthy moment came during the second fight when his opponent attempted an armbar.. Kim picked his opponent up, held him in the air with one arm, paused to smile and parlay to the crowd with his free hand, and then simply shook his opponent off to free his arm.. before proceeding to dominate the rest of the fight.

It was an entertaining night of fights, and I got a number of photos to prove it (see my AV for starters.. just wish I'd gotten a # ;)).. I'll try to post some if I can get it together.

Palma
10-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice girls!!

Any close up photos!??

Virgil Caine
10-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Nice girls!!

Any close up photos!??

Nah, thats the closest i've got.. i have some of them walking around the ring and exiting the ring, but those were from a distance and not so good.. we should've gone to the ring sooner after the fights, but they didnt stick around for long so we missed the chance..

Virgil Caine
10-15-2007, 08:40 AM
If you guys take one thing from this, take this name: Dae-gun Kim (note, i spelled it differently above, and in the korean backwards manner.. this is the proper english spelling), the 17 or 18 year old winner of the amateur 70 kilo grand prix. The kid had some real talent.. what he lacked was power, but he'll come into form, i'm sure. He landed some combos including left hooks and right hands, that just lacked the snap.. but once he gets those down, he may be very good. And he had character. There's alot of money behind Spirit right now, especially with EliteXC investing in them now, so the promotion should carry him far as long as he keeps winning and improving.

He did seem a bit arrogant, I went and greeted him and got a picture together, but he just struck me as self absorbed.. but whatever. Hopefully it doesnt mean he's overly confident but arrogance isn't necessarily a bad trait in a fighter.

He also had the best walkin music of the whole event, haha.

Virgil Caine
10-15-2007, 08:20 PM
If you guys take one thing from this, take this name: Dae-gun Kim (note, i spelled it differently above, and in the korean backwards manner.. this is the proper english spelling), the 17 or 18 year old winner of the amateur 70 kilo grand prix. The kid had some real talent.. what he lacked was power, but he'll come into form, i'm sure. He landed some combos including left hooks and right hands, that just lacked the snap.. but once he gets those down, he may be very good. And he had character. There's alot of money behind Spirit right now, especially with EliteXC investing in them now, so the promotion should carry him far as long as he keeps winning and improving.

He did seem a bit arrogant, I went and greeted him and got a picture together, but he just struck me as self absorbed.. but whatever. Hopefully it doesnt mean he's overly confident but arrogance isn't necessarily a bad trait in a fighter.

He also had the best walkin music of the whole event, haha.

Correction.. it was Nim-Sun Kim, a 27 year old, who won the tourny, not Dae-Kon Kim, as I had said. The two have very similar faces and I got them confused.. my bad, sorry. I read this result in a Sherdog article, and was able to confirm it by comparing a photo I took of Nim-Sun Kim with his photo on the event program. What I said above applies to this guy as well, though it appears he has less time to develop his power and go pro.. though I expect he'll be fighting in the pros soon either way now.

Virgil Caine
10-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Final Correction: The young gun, Dae-gun Kim, was indeed in the finals but was on the losing end. Considering that he gave up nearly 10 years and fought well, its not bad at all. The fights have been airing on TV over here so thats how I know. Guess I drank too much beer during the event so I got mixed up (that and the trying to listen to introductions/read names in Korean).