View Full Version : This is well worth a listen

Virgil Caine
10-13-2007, 01:26 AM
http://www.sherdog.com/news/radio.asp?id=349

Sherdog's beatdown radio.. they're talking about the Couture situation. I'm listening right now, these guys are pretty inciteful and break it down pretty well. May have more thoughts when i'm done listening.

Virgil Caine
10-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Towards the end of the show, a caller askes about the contractural situation, and raised the concern that Randy wouldnt be able to fight for other orgs. They just boffed at this, saying "well, its not like any commision is not going to sanction Randy because the UFC asked them not to."

They may just be incompetent when it comes to law, but I'd assume that what they said is accurate.. if that was a legitimate concern then they'd ought to know about it. Ofcourse alot of legal shannegans may occur, but I'm thinking its a calculated move and Randy's legal team should know what they're doing.

robot_monkey
10-13-2007, 12:46 PM
good stuff

Dirt E Gomez
10-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Towards the end of the show, a caller askes about the contractural situation, and raised the concern that Randy wouldnt be able to fight for other orgs. They just boffed at this, saying "well, its not like any commision is not going to sanction Randy because the UFC asked them not to."

They may just be incompetent when it comes to law, but I'd assume that what they said is accurate.. if that was a legitimate concern then they'd ought to know about it. Ofcourse alot of legal shannegans may occur, but I'm thinking its a calculated move and Randy's legal team should know what they're doing.

Couture is contractually obligated w/ the UFC and it probably includes outside fights. If he fights outside of the US for somebody other than the UFC he'll probably be voiding it and will be forced to pay millions for it.

Azteca
10-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Couture is contractually obligated w/ the UFC and it probably includes outside fights. If he fights outside of the US for somebody other than the UFC he'll probably be voiding it and will be forced to pay millions for it.

Agreed. It's a no-win for Randy. Unless he makes major coin for fighting Fedor. But that wont happen.

Virgil Caine
10-13-2007, 10:57 PM

Yeah, thats the same **** i've been saying.. but the fact that these guys didn't mention it, even when asked directly, means 1 of 2 things: They don't know what the **** they're talking about, or that the concern of our's is inflated.

Obviously Dana White's comments that "Randy is still under contract.. I'll be ready to promote him if he comes back" are intended to make us think that ****, but really who knows.. none of us actually know the contents of the contract. And who knows, maybe he's intending to sue or buy his way out of it or some ****. I'm thinking that he has options aside from hanging just hanging his head.

Dirt E Gomez
10-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, thats the same **** i've been saying.. but the fact that these guys didn't mention it, even when asked directly, means 1 of 2 things: They don't know what the **** they're talking about, or that the concern of our's is inflated.

I bolded the important type. 99% of fans of boxing and MMA don't understand politics and negotiations that take place. People simply don't understand how little control the fighters actually have. THey sign over deal after deal and lose their power. People instead use fights that don't get made as the fighter's fault instead of the handlers.

Virgil Caine
10-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I bolded the important type. 99% of fans of boxing and MMA don't understand politics and negotiations that take place. People simply don't understand how little control the fighters actually have. THey sign over deal after deal and lose their power. People instead use fights that don't get made as the fighter's fault instead of the handlers.

Uhh yeah, so?? Those aren't fans dude, they're media.. big difference. Whether or not they understand the ****, they have access to information we don't and it is they're job to know **** that most people don't and to sift through all the information. I'm saying, its possible that they missed this point, but I think that if this was as big a concern as we're making it out to be, they'd ought to know about it. They should be aware of this situation.. if not, they're not properly doing their job. Thus, their analysis is worth taking seriously.. though with a grain of salt.

Dirt E Gomez
10-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Uhh yeah, so?? Those aren't fans dude, they're media.. big difference.

Hah, honestly there isn't much of a difference. At this point in MMA's new found popularity; the media that covers it are fans. And even if they are simply qualified journalists... they still don't know ****. That's what legal teams and departments are for

Virgil Caine
10-15-2007, 02:03 AM
Hah, honestly there isn't much of a difference. At this point in MMA's new found popularity; the media that covers it are fans. And even if they are simply qualified journalists... they still don't know ****. That's what legal teams and departments are for

Dude, do you know what sherdog is?? Its a website devoted to covering MMA.. nothing else. So you're wrong when you say they are the same as fans.

Besides, quit spinning what I said. I said what they said is worth giving serious consideration, not that its fact. ****ing **** man, why are some people so hard to talk to.

Dirt E Gomez
10-15-2007, 04:59 AM
Dude, do you know what sherdog is?? Its a website devoted to covering MMA.. nothing else. So you're wrong when you say they are the same as fans.

Besides, quit spinning what I said. I said what they said is worth giving serious consideration, not that its fact. ****ing **** man, why are some people so hard to talk to.

Who the **** do you think writes for them? Fans who started writing and had a knack for it... nothing more.

Take a good look at BS for example. Asian_Sensation... just another fan of the sport with a little bit of writing talent. With a little bit of effort and luck he finds his way onto the scene and starts writing and talking it up with fighters. There's nothing special about being a journalist. You don't suddenly have a light switched on that makes you know more than you did a second ago. They learn and study just like everybody else who loves their sport.

For boxing example again... the Margarito-Mayweather talk. There was a lot of talk from writers and journalists on numerous sites about ducking. A few, well informed ones talked about the contractual obligation w/ HBO that Mayweather had and the fact that Margarito was controlled by Arum, who wasn't about to have his bubble burst by Floyd.

Don't believe everything you read, son.

Virgil Caine
10-15-2007, 05:09 AM
/\/\//\/\/\/\/\//\/\/\\/\//\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Yeah but when you're job is to study info about the sport, you're more apt to be up on ****, thats all I was saying. I know they're nothing special, thats not my point at all. What part of "what they say is worth giving consideration" do you not understand?? If you don't agree, than fine.. don't consider it, like I give a ****. That doesn't mean its not worth considering for others seeking to learn about the situation. If my job was to report MMA news I would be more up on the info.. thats all. I never said they are not wrong, just raising what they said as a point to be considered.

Its funny you bring up Asian Sensation.. I just posted a comment on his profile 2 seconds ago talking ****... He gave me some bad K with the phrase "Putang ina mo" (he was simply bitter because I'd given him bad K for a legitamite reason.. i thought something he'd said was totally retarded) which apparently means "you're mother is a *****." So I told him his mom is a cheap filipino whore.

Just thought it a funny coincidence, thats all.. I litterally clicked this thread right afterwards, hahaha.