View Full Version : So Fedor has been signed...

Bluecifer
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I guess we can all take him out of the #1 slot. Too bad, he showed so much potential. Now it will never be realized. What a waste.

October 10, 2007
Reports: Fedor Emelianenko Chooses M-1 Over UFC
Posted by MMA Junkie on October 10, 2007 at 4:44 pm ET
Top-ranked fighter and PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (26-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) ***8212; the most sought-after free agent in mixed-martial arts ***8212; has reportedly inked a new deal with the Russian-based M-1 Mix-Fight Championship promotion.

News of the possible signing was first reported by Frank Trigg as part of his TAGG Radio program earlier this month, and The Fight Network today reportedly confirmed the signing with an anonymous source close to the deal.

If the reports prove true, the UFC has seen perhaps the biggest name in MMA slip through its fingers.

Trigg broke news of the signing on Oct. 4 (which, ironically, was the same day I was a guest on the show) and said Emelianenko was offered a $10 million contract from ***8220;a new organization out of Russia***8230; that used to be M-1.***8220;

According to today***8217;s report from The Fight Network, though, the organization will still be known as M-1 but that the fight promotion was recently purchased by an ***8220;American entertainment-related company***8221; that pumped additional funds into the 10-year-old promotion. M-1 had been owned by Russian businessman Vadim Finkelstein, who also serves as manager of Emelianenko and his Red Devil Sports Club teammates.

The news will come as a disappointment to UFC fans who were hopeful that current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture would next defend his title against Emelianenko at a Feb. 2 show in Las Vegas. Fight fans had been teased by the possible matchup for much of 2007.

Soon after UFC officials announced they had purchased PRIDE earlier this year, the organization began negotiations to sign Emelianenko when it was learned his contract was non-transferable. In less than a year, the UFC had taken one of its weakest divisions and stocked it with a stable of world-class heavyweights, including Mirko ***8220;Cro Cop***8221; Filipovoc, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Fabricio Werdum and ***8212; thanks to an unimaginable return from retirement ***8212; Couture. However, the heavyweight division was lacking the world***8217;s consensus No. 1 fighter.

Earlier this year, a source inside the UFC told MMAjunkie.com that the general consensus among staffers was that the Emelianenko signing was ***8220;inevitable.***8221; UFC President Dana White has said as much during the past few months, though he admitted that one sticking point of his proposed contract ***8212; that Emelianenko would not be permitted to fight outside the UFC ***8212; was met with resistance.

Now, it appears, the sticking point was a real deal-breaker.

HISTORY
10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
wut a commie apologist mayne. he knows mah mayne kimbo slice woop dat ass outside of ufc. he kno tha natural randy couture keep it real and knock him out. **** fedor.

Bluecifer
10-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Personally, I do think he's afraid of the old man. Couture is the wrong man for him to face. Probably he would have been exposed same as Mirko and Shogun.

AndersonSilva
10-10-2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=5076 heres the full story i herd he signed a 10 Mill a fight contract maybe thats why...the ufc only offered him a 2.5-3 Mill contract i think

robot_monkey
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I doubt Fedor is afraid of anyone. I think he made a smart decision. He has to consider his sambo hobby, his country (Putin is into MMA), and the money. Why does Fedor need to prove anything? It is we who want him to prove something for us, and the only reason we are mad is because we can't get him. Dana is a piece of shiat, anyway. Why try and reduce Fedor? I bet Dana will not stop *****ing.

2swell k-wells
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
UFC is doing fine without him.

2swell k-wells
10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
wut a commie apologist mayne. he knows mah mayne kimbo slice woop dat ass outside of ufc. he kno tha natural randy couture keep it real and knock him out. **** fedor.

....................what?

Kakutogi-Gumi
10-10-2007, 10:58 PM
TAGG is the worst source of information ever.

Everything they've reported is wrong.

kaps
10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
We'll his ranking just dropped. Now he joins the "What if?" fighters like Rickson and Frank Shamrock....

Kakutogi-Gumi
10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
If he dropped, he dropped for the right reasons then.

You can't say you're not #1 if you can prove yourself #1 in the sport that brought you there. Also, if his school can't be part of UFC then they don't get him. Easy as that.

Btw, M-1 is big. It isn't bushleague as one might think.

Virgil Caine
10-11-2007, 03:39 AM
I saw this coming.. UFC is the sleaziest corporation. They refused to bend and this is the result. Really, their exclusive contracts are bull****, and I can see why Fedor did not sign. I mean, who the **** wants to sell their soul to Dana White? UFC contracts are signed in blood.

Fedor is a rarity in that he does not need the UFC. Fedor is already huge, and he does not need the UFC to make him bigger, especially when he's a shoe in for the Russian market. That may not be good for American sports fans, but his people probly made the right decision. He'll be paid plenty well, I'm pretty sure of that.

On a side note, I wonder what that "American Entertainment Company" which purchased M-1 is. Before reading that, I was wondering "will elitexc purchase/partner with this org??" Or perhaps HDnet, whose owner was in negotiations with Fedor's peeps, and is filthy rich?? Either way, I wouldn't be surprized to see him in EliteXC cards, actually. EliteXC has expressed an interest in having fighters from all organizations fight on their cards and for their belts, including those not owned by (though partnered with) EliteXC. Then theirs EliteXC's connection with the "US Entertainment company" showtime. This is getting highly specualative, but it may be the UFC, and net necessarilly the fans, who turn out to be the big losers from this.. the only reason I would hope for this outcome is if it brings about a change in the UFC's monopolist style business practices, which will spell **** in the end for the sport if they continue unabatted, you can mark my word on that.

wulff.man
10-11-2007, 11:02 AM
baserocks,
Great post!

Fedor is basically telling the scriptwriters at the UFC to cram it.
Fedor's ranking just went up. Waaay up.
Good for him. Good for the sport.

Bluecifer
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Kaps is right. Fedor will now never fight any top contenders again, except Josh Barnett. He'll spend the rest of his years destroying Zulu and Hunt type cans and getting sucked off in the sauna by his Red Devil buddies. His best wins have looked like **** in the cage which makes his pedigree highly suspect. This is good for his wallet, but I fail to see how building a hype machine paper champion who never fights #1 contenders as good for the sport.

kaps
10-11-2007, 04:04 PM
The UFC***8217;s inability to land PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko played a prominent role in the decision to walk away, according to Couture.

***8220;I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,***8221; the UFC Hall-of-Famer said. ***8220;However, I***8217;m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he***8217;s now signed with another organization, I feel like it***8217;s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.***8221;

Blair_Wells#32
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
well that sucks for couture, but at least he went out as champ.
i've read rumors that it was shane mcmahon that bought M-1, just rumors though no confirmation.
peace.

Azteca
10-11-2007, 04:30 PM
UFC will do fine without him for a year or two. Unless Vera totally dismantles Sylvia, the HW division will suck again.

2swell k-wells
10-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I wonder who will beat Fedor in M-1 and how much recognition he would get from beating him. hmmmm.