View Full Version : MMA Unifications.

American_Ninja
09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Rampage Jackson has the ball rolling. Would this be a good thing in MMA?
Which organizations would follow suit? Having Undisputed Champions
would be pretty interesting IMO.
UFC, Pride FC, even CFFC.
Thoughts...

neils7147933
09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I know Gary Shaw said in an interview posted in this forum that EliteXC doesn't have exclusive contracts and he wants other organization's champs to be able to defend their belts with his fighters on his shows and vice versa.

UFC has those exclusive contracts, though, so we're basically looking at UFC fighters holding Pride belts getting a "UFC belt" shot and being able to carry their prop to the ring. That's all it is in UFC - Rampage won't be defending the Pride belt, will he? I haven't seen any Pride events even scheduled... Looks like UFC is just absorbing that organization's talent they acquired

American_Ninja
09-11-2007, 11:57 PM
They didnt even award him with the Pride LHW belt after the fight.
Jackson. And all Buffer said was "and still the UFC champion".
Talk about gettin dissed.

kaps
09-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Pride is no more. So basically the pride title holders just get an automatic title match in the UFC....

kaps
09-12-2007, 12:49 AM
That is if Dana signs them, he still hasnt signed Gomi or Fedor the other 2 Pride Champions besides Dan Henderson....

Palma
09-12-2007, 08:37 AM
They have to resurrect Pride. They spent alot of money acquiring that organization and there is no way Zuffa is just going to let that stand until they profit somehow from that deal. They didn't even get Fedor, so I know they're having board meetings after board meetings thinking of a way to make it work.

kaps
09-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Dana said "We cant make it work." He didn't buy Pride for the show, he bought it for the fighters, just like he did with the WFA...

Palma
09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Dana said "We cant make it work." He didn't buy Pride for the show, he bought it for the fighters, just like he did with the WFA...

Well he didn't bag the King of the jungle on that hunt did he!?

kaps
09-12-2007, 03:14 PM
No because Fedor was only signing for 1 fight at a time at the time of the Pride Purchase, so he could explore other options and fight in Russia as he did in BoDog...

American_Ninja
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
I didn't know White had bought Pride.
Never mind then. The new Don King...

AndersonSilva
09-12-2007, 11:40 PM
...lol ^^^

kaps
09-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I didn't know White had bought Pride.
Never mind then. The new Don King...

White didn't, Zuffa did, but still, they pretty much got the monopoly now...

phallus
09-13-2007, 01:08 AM

that's how they'll unify the champs, UFC will buy the other organizations and the UFC belt will become the only belt

Palma
09-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Careful with that word 'monopoly', the last time I put that word in a sentence related to the UFC and Zuffa I was corrected.

American_Ninja
09-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Careful with that word 'monopoly', the last time I put that word in a sentence related to the UFC and Zuffa I was corrected.
Corrected by whom?

kaps
09-14-2007, 12:47 AM
I mean, there are still other non Zuffa orgs like KOTC, RITC, Icon, ROTR, Bodog, IFL, ect. But none can compete with the UFC, which owns Pride and WEC the 3 Main MMA leagues....

Palma
09-14-2007, 10:34 AM
baserocks
Undisputed Champion

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating:
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 22,344.73
Donate

vCash: 500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluugMacMan
Well from what I remember, unless you have a contract renewed when you're the champion, if you lose 2 times in a row the UFC has the option of canceling your contract. If you're the champion at the time, I believe it's three losses.

Babalu lost to Timmy, then to the Cop, so his contract could have been canceled at anytime (at Dana's discretion), unless he renewed it once again.
Besides, Babalu's release could create a lawsuit on Dana, so I'm sure such a clause exists in Zuffa contracts.

Yes obviously they have the option to release him, but the reason was because of not realeasing the choke.. he may have deserved it but he has stated that he didn't intend to hold the choke and his comments were directed at his aggressive performance. The dude could be completely full of ****, but he still deserves a proper hearing is all i'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65
He was fined his ENTIRE purse by the way.

Actually he was fined the $25,000 winning portion of his $50,000 purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma
Zuffa is the 800 pound gorilla of the MMA world and they currently have a monopoly that is untested. Fedor maybe king of the the MMA world, but Zuffa is the landlord of the MMA world. Fedor will have to drop to his knees and bow down to Zuffa at one point in his career. If not, he will be a king without a castle. Fedor is a top notch, top of the food chain competitor and it would be ridiculous he join anything less. Hulk Hogan fought in the WWF/WWE and Fedor needs to be fighting in the UFC!

Zuffa is not a monopoly but they do have considerable market power which allows them to act like one. Monopolies tend to **** over customers and employees at the expense of corporate profits, thats what it looks like is going on hear (at least on the employee side).

Palma
09-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Corrected by whom?

I posted the thread where I was corrected!

FluugMacMan
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes, just make sure you substitute "Considerable Market Power" for the word "Monopoly" considering the UFC has not crossed that line just yet. Maybe if EliteXC (with Showtime contract), KOTC, Cage Rage, etc. didn't exist, then UFC might be considered a monopoly in America. But until then, "Considerable Market Power" is a better word to describe the UFC.