View Full Version : Jeff Mullen defends his bad decision!

Palma
09-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Read the entire story: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=7746

Jeff Mullen, who has been a UFC judge since 1996, checked in on the popular MMA message board The Underground Forum Monday to explain his scorecard.

“No doubt Hamill dominated the 1st,” wrote Mullen. “He hurt Bisping with a right hand right off the bat and again near the end of the round. He out scored Bisping and busted him up. It was a very impressive round for Hamill but still a 10-9 round. Not dominant enough for a 10-8. Watch the beginning of the second round closely. When Hamill throws the jab, Bisping slips the punch and hits him with his own counter jab. It is hard to see on camera because Hamill’s back is to the camera. His back was also to Goldie (blow by blow announcer Mike Goldberg) who was talking like the beginning of this round was like a continuation of the 1st. If you look you will see that Hamill is facing me, giving me a clear view of what is landing. Bisping was landing the jab again and again and not getting hit.

“Hamill got 2 takedowns in rounds 2 and 3 but did very little with them,” Mullen continues. “Bisping is using an active guard trying to turn for armbars and sweeps, Hamill is doing very little on top. Bisping is keeping him from scoring or improving his position. In the 3rd round Bisping actually lands more punches from the bottom than Hamill does from the top. In both the 2nd and 3rd rounds Bisping does more scoring. Under PRIDE style scoring Hamill would have won. He did more damage, but it was all in the 1st round. By 10 point must system Bisping won the fight 2 rounds to 1. 29-28 Bisping. Sometime the angle you see the fight affects your decision. That is why they put the judges on 3 different sides.”

And though Mullen makes a compelling case, this is an issue that doesn’t look like it will be quieting down anytime soon, with fight fans flooding the ‘net with their opinions and hoping that this verdict doesn’t mean MMA is turning into boxing, which has had more than it’s share of disputed decisions over the years.

UFC President Dana White has something to say about that comment and the post-fight controversy.

“I’ve seen a lot of bad decisions in boxing, basketball, football, and baseball, whether it’s by judges or referees, and I’ve definitely seen plenty right now in the last seven years in the UFC and The Ultimate Fighter,” said White. “This is why I tell these guys to never leave it in the hands of the judges, because everybody sees a fight differently. The bottom line is, both Michael Bisping and Matt Hamill fought their hearts out Saturday night, and I hope this scoring issue doesn’t put a damper on what was a great fight between two fighters with bright futures in this organization, and this is a no-brainer for a rematch. I know I am blown away by the amount of e-mails I have gotten from both sides and how passionate all the fans are about this fight. It’s exciting that people care that much.”