View Full Version : Bruno...against todays British talent.

Onslow.
07-08-2007, 03:04 PM
So.... what would happen with Bruno vs. Skelton, Harrison, Williams, Sprott?

I reckon Bruuuuuuuuno could definately win all 4 of them.

Anyone disagree!?

rooq
07-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Anyone disagree!?

bruno at his peak would have destroyed harrison , skelton and sprott.

bruno vs a peak williams would have made for an interesting fight.

shows how crappy our HWs are now though. bruno was fringe world level at best but a great recognisable personality.

English_Lion
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
bruno vs audley harrison would be a very intresting fight, but i think bruno is done totally now and harrison would out box him. A peak bruno of course would of wasted any of the british heavyweights with danny williams as an exception.

.Mik.
07-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Bruno would have a good shot on a world stage these days.

Ziggy Stardust
07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Bruno wear a belt if he were fighting now. He really was not a bad Heavyweight, he just got downed because Tyson splattered him a couple of times.

Poet

FUMIN 88
07-10-2007, 03:29 AM
bruno had a great punch but a glass jaw he would of beat all those guys tho

duffgun
07-10-2007, 03:57 AM
I agree with the posts here that bruno would beat all the british heavy's today, except maybe if haye can prove him self at the weight, as for the world stage he could beat oleg sultan probably rulsan and sam peter, but a fight with wlad would be intresting, i dont think wlad has been against anyone with quite the same power that bruno had.

duffgun
07-10-2007, 03:58 AM
bruno had an underated jab

.Mik.
07-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Bruno had a good punch, apart from Tyson he really should have won all of the fights he lost. He was rocking and outboxing Lewis, but went and ****ed it up cos he couldnt handle pressure. After he took a punch he was too proud to cover up. He was ****ing huge though.

porlie
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM

Anyone disagree!?

How could anyone disagree with that?? Bruno would whip all of them.
Bruno could beat most of the current HWs on the world scene out there.

realheavyhands
07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
bruno was easily beating lennox till he got caught there should of been a rematch

duffgun
07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
bruno was easily beating lennox till he got caught there should of been a rematch

there was talk of one after bruno won the title, lewis was calling for the rematch but bruno then went after tyson, if he didnt have that eye problem he might there might have been one.

Jazzy Paul
07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Bruno would beat every British heavyweight from todays era inside schedule and that includes Williams. As for the world stage...I think he'd win a title and a fight vs Wlad is a 50/50 pick 'em for me. Wlad's not as good as Lewis and Bruno gave Lewis a very good fight.

hemichromis
07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
bruno at his peak would have destroyed harrison , skelton and sprott.

bruno vs a peak williams would have made for an interesting fight.

shows how crappy our HWs are now though. bruno was fringe world level at best but a great recognisable personality.

if brun o had a decent jaw he would give any heavyweight in history a pretty good fight. as it is he could beat every heavy today even wlad would have trouble!

Onslow.
07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
if brun o had a decent jaw he would give any heavyweight in history a pretty good fight. as it is he could beat every heavy today even wlad would have trouble!

What a shame he was born in the wrong era eh? I too reckon he would have mopped up some of HW's on the global stage.

Desaturated
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I was about to make a similar thread about Bruno.

It's already been said that he'd more than likely dominate todays scene.

Bruno's jaw caught too much flak. I'm not suggesting he had a strong one, but he could take a few crackers. Like in the Tyson rematch, he took **** loads of left hooks. His problem was mental. He'd just stop covering up...

Glad to see Bruno's getting love.

Desaturated
07-10-2007, 06:31 PM
bruno had an underated jab

Agreed. ....

Onslow.
07-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Glad to see Bruno's getting love.

He'll always have love. He's possibly British boxings most favorite star - maybe even British sports most favourite star...especially in the 90's.

I have a signed copy of his biography too. I was so sad when i found out he'd gained a mental illness.

I don't think Bruno ever gave anything less than 100%- so you can't fault the man. I remember him looking petrified before going in the ring with Tyson, Frank had some balls. He must have known he was gunna get hurt that night (even more than usual). But he still got in, and that punch that so famously rocked Tyson was a corker.

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNO!

Ziggy Stardust
07-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I got to agree it was a shame he was born in the wrong era. Guys like Quarry and Shavers are like that too: They would have been champions if they hadn't had the misfortune of coming up when the Heavyweight division was at its all time strongest.

Poet

yidish pugilist
07-10-2007, 10:45 PM
the bruno vs lewis fight's on espn right now

MickyHatton
07-11-2007, 04:37 AM
bruno had a great punch but a glass jaw he would of beat all those guys tho

Bruno didn't have a glass jaw (when was he KO'd?) he didn't have any survival skills i.e. when he was caught he attempted to fight back instead of covering up and getting on his bike or even taking a knee.

MickyHatton
07-11-2007, 04:41 AM
Bruno would make a serious impact on the world stage these days, he had awesome power and could box well behind a very powerful jab.

Don't forget he was beating Bonecrusher Smith, Tim Witherspoon and Lennox Lewis until he was caught late on, each time his lack of survival instinct let him down or this thread would have a different theme!

Likely_Lad
07-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Bruno didn't have a glass jaw (when was he KO'd?) he didn't have any survival skills i.e. when he was caught he attempted to fight back instead of covering up and getting on his bike or even taking a knee.

Thats true.

Bruno was an underrated fighter. He could really bang, I mean one of the hardest hitters in the history of the sport and he could box.

He was a bit slow and robotic but he would be too much for many of the fighters around today!

Orange Sneakers
07-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Williams and Harrison at their best are a class above Bruno

MickyHatton
07-11-2007, 12:09 PM

That why they haven't made an impact in a poor era of the division when Bruno fought for three Titles and won one of them in a stronger era???

cowzerp
07-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Bruno was a big fella with a great jab and a massive overhand right! i think he would trouble many heavyweights of this era and would defo beat harrison and williams..

P29
07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
he would beat all those guys, and maybe a on form harrison like the one we saw against williams will give him trouble.

Orange Sneakers
07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
That why they haven't made an impact in a poor era of the division when Bruno fought for three Titles and won one of them in a stronger era???

Orange Sneakers
07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Danny is the most talented HW since Tyson and Bowe (always was), he just doesn't know it.

Audley is top quality, when he trains. If he trains, he can still go on to meet Wlad for the undisputed title.

O.S

hemichromis
07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Thats true.

Bruno was an underrated fighter. He could really bang, I mean one of the hardest hitters in the history of the sport and he could box.

He was a bit slow and robotic but he would be too much for many of the fighters around today!

he did look very slow and robotic but he was surpirssingly hard to hit cleanly.

his punches had very little snap to them but really knocked people around. in my mind he looked as foreman would have looked if he boxed

robjr
07-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Anyone disagree!?

agree fully.

duffgun
07-12-2007, 05:29 AM

no way, bruno won a world title in the 90's none of those would have, could you imagine harrison against bruno, harrison would be ****ing him self cos of bruno's power the first bruno jab would ko harrison. i take it you were joking though.

Onslow.
07-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Danny is the most talented HW since Tyson and Bowe (always was), he just doesn't know it.

Audley is top quality, when he trains. If he trains, he can still go on to meet Wlad for the undisputed title.

O.S

Danny is by no means a brilliant boxer. I think the biggest reason he has any respect is for his win over a one-legged, passed it, Mike Tyson...and by god, Tyson nearly ****ed him up anyway in the early rounds anyway in that fight.

Audley...is terrible. His style is not suited to the heavyweight division. When I watch Harrison i can't but help thinking he's fighting as if he was in an olympic 4 rounder - his amatuer style of fighting (i.e - always going to score the points...and quite frankly, at times i've seen him being scared of being hit.) It doesn't suit a heavyweight. He must have the power, but he just does not use it. He's so frustrating to watch.

I think Bruno would certainly defeat Harrison. As for Williams - i think it would be a good scrap, but eventually Williams would succumb to Bruno. Williams would not be able to keep to his pace and the Bruno jab would tire him out. The only chance Williams would have, would be a flash K.O... but 9/10 times it would not happen...and Bruno would the **** him up on the rematch.

Thats what i think anyway.........then again, i could be blinded by my love of the Bruuuuno... perhaps i'm thinking to much of him in awe, and in golden hindsight.

Ziggy Stardust
07-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Thats what i think anyway.........then again, i could be blinded by my love of the Bruuuuno... perhaps i'm thinking to much of him in awe, and in golden hindsight.

Naw! I'm an American and I agree with you! I've watched a number of Bruno's fights and my objective opinion is he wasn't bad at all. The Tyson fights colored peoples perception of him negatively.

Poet

ko-kid
07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Bruno would have all of todays british heavyweights.

Darkstranger
07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
He'll always have love. He's possibly British boxings most favorite star - maybe even British sports most favourite star...especially in the 90's.

I have a signed copy of his biography too. I was so sad when i found out he'd gained a mental illness.

I don't think Bruno ever gave anything less than 100%- so you can't fault the man. I remember him looking petrified before going in the ring with Tyson, Frank had some balls. He must have known he was gunna get hurt that night (even more than usual). But he still got in, and that punch that so famously rocked Tyson was a corker.

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNO!

I agree!

Bruno was a very humble man, which is why the british public liked him. I don't think it has anything to do with us British loving a loser! He was just a very nice bloke who used to go out and give 110%

CasperUK
07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
40 victories. 38 KO's. A 95% KO ratio. Says it all really.

MickyHatton
07-14-2007, 06:45 AM

Seriously, behave.

My last post answers this statement.

Williams had the talent but not the temperament or dedication. Every fight was different with him, he could box but he lacked self belief therefore that's why he has achieved nothing at World level. He was either fat and unmotivated or trim and lacking confidence. Mentality is as important as ability.

Harrison, good boxer, but again is missing something inside. He was supposed to be the next big thing when the reality was that it was a national farce facilitated by Harrison's driven media hype.

Bruno dominated Europe and made an impact at World level so explain how Williams and Harrison are a class above him??? You must back up statements like this with facts and as there are no hard facts to back this up then.....

Onslow.
07-14-2007, 06:53 AM
I agree!

Bruno was a very humble man, which is why the british public liked him. I don't think it has anything to do with us British loving a loser! He was just a very nice bloke who used to go out and give 110%

Yea man. He's a top bloke.

At my gym...we were all making our own nicknames up for our ring entrance and everyone was coming out with "the lion" or the "tiger" etc. So i decided to be Mick "The Doncaster Dove" as a joke and it kind of stuck.

My mate had a job at bookworld and Bruno went and did a signing, she got the chance to get one copy signed for herself and she gave it to me for my birthday - it said "To the Doncaster Dove, Happy Birthday and all the best, From Frank Bruno".

He was loving the name. Probs the best birthday prezzie ever i reckon.

Desaturated
07-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I've not read the autobiography yet.

i'll pick up a copy on monday

Onslow.
07-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I've not read the autobiography yet.

i'll pick up a copy on monday

Do pal, its a good read. Very honest about his period of madness.

MickyHatton
07-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Seriously, behave.

My last post answers this statement.

Williams had the talent but not the temperament or dedication. Every fight was different with him, he could box but he lacked self belief therefore that's why he has achieved nothing at World level. He was either fat and unmotivated or trim and lacking confidence. Mentality is as important as ability.

Harrison, good boxer, but again is missing something inside. He was supposed to be the next big thing when the reality was that it was a national farce facilitated by Harrison's driven media hype.

Bruno dominated Europe and made an impact at World level so explain how Williams and Harrison are a class above him??? You must back up statements like this with facts and as there are no hard facts to back this up then.....

Imagine Bruno in there last night with either Skelton or Sprott!!!

.Mik.
07-15-2007, 07:19 AM
He must've been sitting at ringside wishing that he'd been born 10 years later.

hemichromis
07-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Imagine Bruno in there last night with either Skelton or Sprott!!!

skeltons wrestling would not work against brunos strenght and guile

brunos power would decimate sprotts chin and could probably KO audley with his jab!!

Ryn0
07-15-2007, 02:57 PM
How to you reckon he would do against sam peters, vitali,wlad or any of the current champions? just out of intrest

hemichromis
07-15-2007, 03:11 PM
How to you reckon he would do against sam peters, vitali,wlad or any of the current champions? just out of intrest

he would IMO beat peters

and give eithe klitscho a good fight, his very hard jab coming from an 84 inch reach wuld be a big problem for either due to their weak chins.

adietheforestfa
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
What current british talent at heavyweight?
They couldnt knock the skin off a rice pudding.
Britain has some awesome talent at other weights but the heavies are woefull

fasman
07-20-2007, 11:31 AM
i reckon hed beat all them right now.. but a ready and psyched up williams, errrr he'd get knocked out....

msagrain
07-20-2007, 05:23 PM
i think if lewis started training agen today and signed a fight to fight one of them in 12 weeks time he could beat them all

ArturoBalboa
07-21-2007, 08:34 AM

Anyone disagree!?

Totally agree, and i think would have a shot at anyone on the world stage right now.
It was great hearing the crowd chant "Bruuuuunooooo" during the skelton v sprott fight.

ArturoBalboa
07-21-2007, 08:37 AM

He did make most of the early running but Lewis was coming back into it before he caught him, his left jab was homing in on Franks eye for a couple of rounds before that left hand.

ArturoBalboa
07-21-2007, 08:44 AM

Yeh, exactly my thoughts when i read that he had a glass jaw. Don't think he was ever put down by a single shot, it was always a serious accumalation of hard shots from guys who could really bang.
Don't know why his trainer never tried to drill it into him that sometimes its ok to take a knee and an 8 count while your head clears cos the writing was on the wall early doors when jumbo Cummings caught him at the end of a round and he was literally out on his feet.
I reckon he would have only ever have lost to tyson and lewis in his career if he'd learned to take a knee.

Ziggy Stardust
07-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think Bruno's weakness was his chin. It's been noted already he lacked survival instincts and that's a good point. Also I think he was too upright and easy to hit flush and THAT'S what really cost him against top level fighters like Tyson. That being said, Bruno was a good fighter and I liked watching him. And by all accounts he's a good guy. Got to like him!

Poet

hemichromis
07-22-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't think Bruno's weakness was his chin. It's been noted already he lacked survival instincts and that's a good point. Also I think he was too upright and easy to hit flush and THAT'S what really cost him against top level fighters like Tyson. That being said, Bruno was a good fighter and I liked watching him. And by all accounts he's a good guy. Got to like him!

Poet

wasn't easy to hit. for a big man who was known to be a clumbsy operator he was actually quite hard to hit.

the problem was that a clean shot made him go to sleep but while he was asleep -arms down eyes closed- his legs still kept him up!
he alsocould not recover quickly from being hurt it took him over 5 minutes to recover from cumming's big right.