View Full Version : Why did Duran quit against Leonard?

Sandro17
05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
I decided to research on Roberto Duran last night when I decided to watch some fights from boxings "golden age"

I went through a couple of fights on youtube, and I found Duran vs. Leonard.

I watched it hoping that I'd see a knock out or a great match but instead I saw Duran quit.

The video did'nt show Durans reason.

I just want to knnow why Duran quit when at that weight all you need is one punch to turn the fight around.

Nacho_Analstain
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
something dodgy was going on in that fight

Kayjay's Ghost
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
The first fight, the one Duran wins by decision, is the classic. There's a real good Ring article on the second, 'no mas' fight, which explains Duran's weight and conditioning problems leading up to the fight.

bishop2006
05-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Leonard was frustrating him,and making him look back,i think his pride took over and he quit

Leonard really came to life in the 6th round,the rounds before he didnt really punch,he just kept running and circling,but he done some brilliant work after the 6th

CletusVanDamme
05-22-2007, 10:05 AM
He has claimed severe stomach cramps during the fight(from an Interview of Duran in In this Corner). Although he seldom talks about it or gives his reasons anymore. He had to leave Panama and move to Miami after the fight because the people turned on him.

One plausible explanation is at the time he thought it wasn't a big deal and figured what the hell being frustrated by Leonards showboating. A new Duran Biography has just been released and is a great book and even it gives no valid reasons why he quit.

danny stash
05-22-2007, 10:21 AM
the no mas came after he told his corner he does not want to fight this clown anymore. The truth is he ate like a pig before the fight and his stomach was messed up. I honestly feel that this tarnished his legacy TOO much. ONE FIGHT, thats it, can't we make a couple mistakes in life?

Kayjay's Ghost
05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
the no mas came after he told his corner he does not want to fight this clown anymore. The truth is he ate like a pig before the fight and his stomach was messed up. I honestly feel that this tarnished his legacy TOO much. ONE FIGHT, thats it, can't we make a couple mistakes in life?

He had two steak and baked potato plates in the hotel. A sorry excuse but still . . .

Kayjay's Ghost
05-22-2007, 10:42 AM

I don't feel it tarnished his legacy with boxing fans. He's ranked higher than Leonard on every all-time p4p list I've ever seen. It's understood that he beat Leonard when it counted, but the American press did have to play up the second fight because Leonard was our crossover star. Boxing writers have been very forgiving of both the 'no mas' and the Hearns knockout.

danny stash
05-22-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't feel it tarnished his legacy with boxing fans. He's ranked higher than Leonard on every all-time p4p list I've ever seen. It's understood that he beat Leonard when it counted, but the American press did have to play up the second fight because Leonard was our crossover star. Boxing writers have been very forgiving of both the 'no mas' and the Hearns knockout.
agreed........

Jimmy The Gent
05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
He was being outclassed and quit, he should of tried to low blow leanord like he did Buchanan

danny stash
05-22-2007, 11:26 AM
He BEAT ray the last time they fought...

he was not outclassed but maybe outconditioned.

Roberto Duran in his prime was never outclassed cept maybe the hearns fight but he was not in prime (well maybe)

jack_the_rippuh
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
He's a coward and a quitter.
The hell he gave Hagler was his redemption.

danny stash
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
He's a coward and a quitter.
The hell he gave Hagler was his redemption.
hey jack have you been in the ring. Its so easy for the peanut gallery to point fingers and cry coward etc until you are getting your head beat in and you think you are dying of asphyxiation. (spelling)

Dorian
05-22-2007, 12:46 PM
he was simply getting owned
he wanted no more... so he quit

Left2body
05-22-2007, 12:54 PM
It was also due to the short time between the 1st and 2nd fight. Duran was notorious for his bad conditioning and lifestyle between fights. Duran being the smaller fighter also took a lot of damage in the first fight, more so than Leonard. Similar to the Ali vs Frazier I where Frazier clearly won but took more physical damage.

This all lead to a less than optimal Duran. Leonard has also stated that the timing of the 2nd fight was a strategic choice.

Bogler
05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
He has claimed severe stomach cramps during the fight(from an Interview of Duran in In this Corner). Although he seldom talks about it or gives his reasons anymore. He had to leave Panama and move to Miami after the fight because the people turned on him.

One plausible explanation is at the time he thought it wasn't a big deal and figured what the hell being frustrated by Leonards showboating. A new Duran Biography has just been released and is a great book and even it gives no valid reasons why he quit.

wow is this really true?

-Hyperion-
05-22-2007, 01:23 PM
wow is this really true?

they say that in beyond the glory roberto duran

jack_the_rippuh
05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
hey jack have you been in the ring. Its so easy for the peanut gallery to point fingers and cry coward etc until you are getting your head beat in and you think you are dying of asphyxiation. (spelling)

You're right.
I'm sorry for my comments.
He was just frustrated.
He's not a coward.
Any man who puts his life on the line for a living is not a coward.
I apologize.
Have some karma.

monkeyboy
05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
You're right.
He was just frustrated.
He's not a coward.
I apologize.
Have some karma.

I love seeing this. I too dissagreed with your first post but the real credit goes to you for thinking and changing your mind a little. Too few people on this site do this.
Jack the Rippuh has gone up in my estimation.
It's not hurt by the fact that I am a Duran fan.
:banana:

danny stash
05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
You're right.
He was just frustrated.
He's not a coward.
I apologize.
Have some karma.
MUCH RESPECT!

gixxer
05-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't feel it tarnished his legacy with boxing fans. He's ranked higher than Leonard on every all-time p4p list I've ever seen. It's understood that he beat Leonard when it counted, but the American press did have to play up the second fight because Leonard was our crossover star. Boxing writers have been very forgiving of both the 'no mas' and the Hearns knockout.agreed :boxing:

Dorian
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
You're right.
He was just frustrated.
He's not a coward.
I apologize.
Have some karma.

you made a good decision! it would be even better if you could send me some karma :P
jk

gixxer
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
preach on bro.......tellem how it is:boxing:

gixxer
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
It was also due to the short time between the 1st and 2nd fight. Duran was notorious for his bad conditioning and lifestyle between fights. Duran being the smaller fighter also took a lot of damage in the first fight, more so than Leonard. Similar to the Ali vs Frazier I where Frazier clearly won but took more physical damage.

This all lead to a less than optimal Duran. Leonard has also stated that the timing of the 2nd fight was a strategic choice.this guy knows his ****.....this is true

gixxer
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
You're right.
He was just frustrated.
He's not a coward.
I apologize.
Have some karma.way to go bro much props to you it takes a bigger man to admit he is wrong

TheEvilSaint
05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
he got tired of being humiliated.

Palma
05-23-2007, 01:20 AM
I heard he ate some bad Carnitas prior to the bout.

MasterODisaster
05-23-2007, 01:26 AM
excuses are for asseholes, Leonard beat that azz so bad in th rematch, the man said "no more!" Enough said you ****ing Duran apologists!!!!!! Alll the excuses are just making him look and sound like a bigger ***** man, did SRL give excuses as weak as he was food poisoned, etc, etc...??? Take a long look in the mirror Duran fans, he beat Ray, then once Ray prepped for him, the rematch was a massacre for you limited fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!! The excuses just make Duran look more and more like the quitter ***** we all know he is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Left2body
05-23-2007, 01:45 AM
excuses are for asseholes, Leonard beat that azz so bad in th rematch, the man said "no more!" Enough said you ****ing Duran apologists!!!!!! Alll the excuses are just making him look and sound like a bigger ***** man, did SRL give excuses as weak as he was food poisoned, etc, etc...??? Take a long look in the mirror Duran fans, he beat Ray, then once Ray prepped for him, the rematch was a massacre for you limited fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!! The excuses just make Duran look more and more like the quitter ***** we all know he is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your obviously and idiot if you think Duran was limited.

gixxer
05-23-2007, 07:53 AM
excuses are for asseholes, Leonard beat that azz so bad in th rematch, the man said "no more!" Enough said you ****ing Duran apologists!!!!!! Alll the excuses are just making him look and sound like a bigger ***** man, did SRL give excuses as weak as he was food poisoned, etc, etc...??? Take a long look in the mirror Duran fans, he beat Ray, then once Ray prepped for him, the rematch was a massacre for you limited fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!! The excuses just make Duran look more and more like the quitter ***** we all know he is!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU MUST SMOKE CRACK TO BE CALLING DURAN A *****...........AND THE REMATCH WAS BULL**** NOT A MASSACARE DURAN DIDNT EVEN REALLY PREPARE FOR THIS FIGHT LIKE HE SHOULD OF BECAUSE LEONARD CAUGHT HIM OFF GUARD ON PURPOSE....HE KNEW DURAN WAS A PARTY ANIMAL ON HIS OFF TIME AND DURAN BEING A FIGHTER COULD NOT SAY NO............SO STFU YOU PEICE OF **** HATER...........THE MAN CONQUERED MORE IN HIS LIFE THAN YOU COULD EVER DREAM OF.....AND THATS REAL ...........................***** SO GO SUCK A DICK AND HATE ON SOMEONE ELSE *****

gixxer
05-23-2007, 07:58 AM
AND IF HE WAS LIMTED HOW IN THE **** DID HE LAST SO LONG.........SRL WAS LIMITED ONCE HIS SPEED LEFT HIM HE DIDINT HAVE ****.......DURAN HAD SPEED NOT SRL SPEED BUT HE WAS FAST HAD GREAT FOOT WORK GREAT FAINTS AND HE WAS TOUGH AS NAILS SO IF HE WAS LIMITED .....TELL ME WHY HE LASTED LONGER THAN ALL THE FIGHTERS IN HIS ERA..............HE IS THE GREATEST FIGHTER EVER

MasterODisaster
05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
You are kidding me right Gixxer or are you retarded? He even lost BIG to Sugar Ray in 1989, then went on to lose many more of his fights after that, so what the hell are you talking about punk????
I think it's more a sad thing that he stuck around longer than he should have and got beaten by b level fighters when he was past his prime more than it is a testament to the man's longevity Gixxer!

danny stash
05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
pea brain.....

Left2body
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
You are kidding me right Gixxer or are you retarded? He even lost BIG to Sugar Ray in 1989, then went on to lose many more of his fights after that, so what the hell are you talking about punk????
I think it's more a sad thing that he stuck around longer than he should have and got beaten by b level fighters when he was past his prime more than it is a testament to the man's longevity Gixxer!

Your an idiot......seriously you really are. Look at when they had there 3rd fight. The 3rd fight means nothing the first 2 are what counts. Like Gixxer said Duran is top 3 ATG. He won a legit MW title from Iran Barkley. Duran had speed, tremendous power (who else has carried there power up the weight classes as well as Duran has).

Duran is also much slicker on defense than many remember. This is because his offense overshadows his very good defense of catching, slipping, and shoulder rolling punches.

Your also forgetting that he held his own against the best of his era even though he was at a huge weight disadvantage. (Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Barkley, Benitez, Buchana, DeJesus). You call Duran limited and a coward, but what coward goes up 30lbs and fights the very best at all the in between weights?

MasterODisaster
05-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Excuses, excuses, get over it, he tanned Duran's hide and made him a quitter in the rematch, end of story folks! Are you going to try to make up anymore excuses as to why, did he have a hangnail or some other bull**** story that caused him to get thoroughly outclassed in the rematch with SRL???

Good god, SRL was the better overall fighter, you may have another opinion, but see it for what it is, he beat SRL in a decision, then was beaten into quitting in their rematch, end of ****ing story you Duran lovers. I hate when fans of a fighter just can't admit that a favorite of theirs lost fair and square, and/or another fighter was better!!!

Hey, your Duran loving buddy Gixxer is the one that brought up this "durability, and longer career than Leonard" crap, I just showed him it wasn't really true that it made duran look worse, not better than before.

Kayjay's Ghost
05-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I like Duran and Leonard both; really it's hard to say who had the better career, or who was the better fighter. Most "all time p4p" lists give the edge to the guys who moved up in weight the farthest and fought the toughest competition. On that reckoning Duran is way ahead of Leonard, but you could draw it up otherwise, looking at the record versus common opponents or something like that. One thing you can't mention though is Duran's losses after 1989; that would be like criticizing Ray Robinson for his late losses, which no one does.

SnoopySmurf
05-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Leonard was smart and he had Duran beaten before the 2nd fight was even officially announced. Leonard heard about Duran putting on a lot of weight after their first epic match. He then made an offer to fight Duran in a little over a month or he fights someone else besides Duran.

Duran took the fight with just enough time to shed his weight but not enough for conditioning and training.

Excuse? Tell you what, YOU lose 25 pounds in 4 weeks and fight for 15 rounds against one of the most terrific fighters of the past 50 years: Sugar Ray Leonard.

And oh.....add in diarrhea into the equation. Then call me if you beat a hall of famer.

But in hindsight now....SRL on his toes against the flat footed Duran (had he not quit), I still think SRL would have won.

MasterODisaster
05-23-2007, 01:31 PM
For the record, I didn't criticize him for it, just used it to show Gixxer that what he was saying was ridiculous.

Duran was a great fighter, I don't deny that, but I can't stand fans that can't admit that their favorite was bettered by another fighter. Excuse after excuse makes the fighter in question just look worse in my opinion, don't tarnish the mans image by creating excuses for his losses, hardly ANY fighter goes through his career undefeated, even the best of the best.

Sugar ray Leonard gave duran a lesson in their rematch, he simply did,end of story, just deal with it.

DA1CATAS
05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Because Arcelino Freitas needed someone to look up too.

MasterODisaster
05-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Just like I can say that Ray lost the first fight because he underestimated duran and completely fought the wrong fight against Duran and that is why he lost. BUT that wouldn't give credit to duran then and he deserved it for winning the first fight. No excuses, Ray lost, Duran won.

The second fight, all excuses aside went how it did because ray's style is all wrong for Duran when he uses his speed and boxes and moves instead of trading with duran flat footed. I hate to say look at 1989, but if Ray was slower and less of himself at the time and still easily beat duran then because of his style just matching up well with durans. A master boxer like Ray Leonard will almost always beat a fighter like Duran as long as he's got a good beard. The speed and constant movement and counter punching while frustrating him Defensively just beats duran, but only a select few had the skills to do it.

SnoopySmurf
05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Just like I can say that Ray lost the first fight because he underestimated duran and completely fought the wrong fight against Duran and that is why he lost. BUT that wouldn't give credit to duran then and he deserved it for winning the first fight. No excuses, Ray lost, Duran won.

The second fight, all excuses aside went how it did because ray's style is all wrong for Duran when he uses his speed and boxes and moves instead of trading with duran flat footed. I hate to say look at 1989, but if Ray was slower and less of himself at the time and still easily beat duran then because of his style just matching up well with durans. A master boxer like Ray Leonard will almost always beat a fighter like Duran as long as he's got a good beard. The speed and constant movement and counter punching while frustrating him Defensively just beats duran, but only a select few had the skills to do it.

Many experts and fans would agree that Leonard made the mistake of fighting mano-y-mano in the first fight, a fight Duran is better at than Leonard. And the same people would agree that a fleet footed Leonard would beat Duran 9/10 times.

It's just that the "No Mas" spoke louder than an inevetible (though debateable) defeat.

MasterODisaster
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm glad to see that not all fans here are excuse makers and blinded by their favorite fighter.

SnoopySmurf
05-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm glad to see that not all fans here are excuse makers and blinded by their favorite fighter.

Well, I'm a fan of both styles: slick and puncher. :D

So you gotta love both fighters. :)

gixxer
05-23-2007, 02:57 PM
For the record, I didn't criticize him for it, just used it to show Gixxer that what he was saying was ridiculous.

Duran was a great fighter, I don't deny that, but I can't stand fans that can't admit that their favorite was bettered by another fighter. Excuse after excuse makes the fighter in question just look worse in my opinion, don't tarnish the mans image by creating excuses for his losses, hardly ANY fighter goes through his career undefeated, even the best of the best.

Sugar ray Leonard gave duran a lesson in their rematch, he simply did,end of story, just deal with it.
sure sure ......wut ever you say.......nothing you say makes duran look bad cause the only fight that matter was the 1st and he won plus hes the only guy to beat srl in his prime no one else did and he fought longer and beat good comp. in higher weight classes at a way older age ........barkley......davey moore....say wut you want about him but this guy is far from a coward

gixxer
05-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Because Arcelino Freitas needed someone to look up too.I HOPE THAT AINT YOU IN THE PIC.................................CRACKHEAD

gixxer
05-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh Yea I Dont Care If He Lost The Second Fight Cuz Srl Was Getting On My Nerves With His Running..........i Cant Stand Runners But He Got Him Frustrated And Duran Quit He Won......like I Said He Did Catch Duran Off Guard

MasterODisaster
05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
You are a joke and the fact that you posted here again after Im pointed out just how stupid your arguement was is amazing!!!

What an idiot you are Gixxer, the only fight thatmattered was the first one...of course, because that was the one that the fighter you defended won out of the 3 fights right....dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we'll go with your longevity theory, wait for this....oh yeah, even though you said Duran was better than Leonard when they were older, Leonard spanked him AGAIN in 1989 douche rag....LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! WTF are you trying to say here, you have been shown to be a complete moron with all of your statements and a complete and utter Duran nutsucker, and your stupid ****ing theories are shown to be what they are....RETARDED!!!!

I'm sick of this garbage, Gixxen is retarded, i'm done with you, you are a waste of time nut licker.

Pretty much any outside observer has a decent take on who is the better fighter and why, but moron's like Gixxen just show how bad certain fighters nut lickers can be!!!

McNulty
05-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I dont know anything about a full stomach. All I saw was Duran getting clowned in there and couldnt touch SRL. I hated SRL back then so NO I wasnt a fan.