View Full Version : Carl Froch - Robin Reid by October

rooq
05-10-2007, 02:53 PM
As Glen Catley has pulled out of the proposed match-up with Reid, the BBBC have ordered Froch-Reid to take place by the end of October with purse bids by 13 June.

I know Reid was a great smw at his peak, but do you think this is a good fight for Froch? They are both up for it, and I guess beating Reid will be another step towards clearing out the domestic opposition, but will it do any more to improve his standing on the world stage? I'd of thought an eliminator against Inkin would be the priority.

If this fight goes ahead, I wonder if Warren will put in a cheeky purse-bid like he did with Woods-Johnson, and make Froch fight on one of his shows.

Froch has also been ordered to defend his commonwealth title by the end of september against Adamu (who he's already beat) so i guess he'll be vacating that one

rossle
05-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I like Reid and fancie his chances against the plodding robotic, untested Froch but I was also basing any chances he had on coming through an eliminator against Cattley.

Whithout those precious competetive rounds, he is just another rusty old chancer, whereas he could have sharpened up and got some fitness.

Reid will suffer from inactivity

paul750
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
He needs to improve a lot from the Lacy fight.

Shanus
05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Froch should KO him.

riza
05-10-2007, 03:30 PM
i saw reids fight on contender and he looked terrible. he looks like an old fighter. froch should be able to beat him easily now.

rossle
05-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Robin took the contender fight at relative short notice, only about 4 weeks, if you look at the photos when the contender uk v usa was announced and all the fighters were named and pictured Robin wasnt in it yet.

He said he tried to ko Brinkley to prove he wasnt shot but he may just have winded himself, as without being active for a while he wasnt sharp or fit.

froch has a lazy style and someone with a bit of class should out hussle him, ive noticed in his fights he is fairly easy to hit with the right hand and easy to out jab, Robin does both well enough but he needs some more rounds for sure.

froch is no young man himself at 30 and has come nowhere near a world title shot as yet, when Robin and Joe both held world titles by the time they were 24, carl just doenst have their class

uppercut_84
05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Froch is fighting a washed up champion. He should be fighting a final WBC eliminator, to fight Kessler.

paul750
05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
The only positive thing about these kinds of fights is the possibility that one guy can roll back the years for one last fight. But more often than not, it doesn't happen.

adietheforestfa
05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Reid has been mouthing off. Frochy fights for Pride.
IMO he will KO Reid in 4-5 Rounds, a nice warm up fight after knee surgery, ready for big things in 2008

Randall_Hopkirk
05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Reid's last meeting with a power puncher didn't go to well and at 36, he's prime fodder for Froch. A TKO for Froch within 6.

The Monk
05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Reid aint as good as he was but still a decent name to have on your resume. Froch should dispose of Reid quite easily now, probably within the first 6 rounds imo. The Froch Bute fight is still the one i'd really love to see, im still hopeful they can get it on in the future, maybe for a world title.

Tong Po
05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
If Carl Froch really wants the fighters who he's been slating for the past couple of years, he should vacate all titles and go after Denis Inkin for that final eliminator. Beating Robin Reid up would do nothing for his standings internationally, and everyone knows he's the boss at domestic level.

Nacho_Analstain
05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
froch says calzaghe is ducking him and that he fights nobody so he goes and fights 1 of his old opponents from about five years ago...

yeh froch...really...would you catch his turds as quick? idiot

EliteSoldier
05-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I think Reid can put this boy in his place. You can all go for froch, I'm going for Reid. :boxing:

Dimebar
05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Froch will probably blow him away

rossle
05-11-2007, 02:53 AM
froch says calzaghe is ducking him and that he fights nobody so he goes and fights 1 of his old opponents from about five years ago...

yeh froch...really...would you catch his turds as quick? idiot

Try 7 years ago

If Robin gets some warm up bouts inbetween I see him doing well, Froch has the kind of personality to make Reid want to work but he does need to be sharp.

SHB
05-11-2007, 04:41 AM
A prime Reid would probably win this. This isn't a prime Reid.

Froch within 6.

adietheforestfa
05-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I think Reid can put this boy in his place. You can all go for froch, I'm going for Reid. :boxing:

EliteDumbass does it again!!!

Nacho_Analstain
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
take me dancing naked in the rain

cover me in panther wee

paul750
05-11-2007, 01:30 PM

lets not get too ahead of ourselves though, Froch didn't look that good against Magee, and Magee is only a decent fighter. If Reid were to rediscover some old form it's not beyond all possibility that he could pose some problems. If he comes into the fight on the form he showed against Lacy he'll probably be stopped in the same sort of way though.

rossle
05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
lets not get too ahead of ourselves though, Froch didn't look that good against Magee, and Magee is only a decent fighter. If Reid were to rediscover some old form it's not beyond all possibility that he could pose some problems. If he comes into the fight on the form he showed against Lacy he'll probably be stopped in the same sort of way though.

He did look poor against Lacy but Lacy is a pressure fighter, a come forward brawler, Froch doesnt work at a pace and generaly only throws one shot at a time.

Lacys style didnt really let Robin settle, Robin wasnt an active fighter at the time and was caught with a very blatantly ileagal right hook while the ref was calling stop, that ruined Reids punch resistance for the night because hed taken siome full blooded shots fine before that one punch.

If you were to turn your head sideways and let anyone hit you full pelt on the side of the head, regardless of power, you will go down.

The ref was very biased in this fight, lacy hits Reid while Reid was getting instructions from Alonso, he goes down and not only does the ref score it a knock down but he deducts Reid a point then makes him fight instantly, also making him fight after lacy hits him low, then to top it all the twat ref helps Lacy off the floor, actualy pulling him up, when during Mike Tysons fight against McBride, Mike holds his arm up for the ref to help him and the ref rightly points out that the fighter has to get off the floor under his own steam, both Mike and Llacy were pushed to the floor, no difference.

Anyway, a fired up Reid that is sharp will beat Froch

adietheforestfa
05-11-2007, 05:10 PM

He did pretty good seeing as he broke his hand in the first round

rossle
05-11-2007, 05:53 PM
He did pretty good seeing as he broke his hand in the first round

Yeah broke his hand

He fought a world rated fighter only 4 months later.

I have proper broke my hand before and I couldnt punch the bags with my right for about 5 months, I tried doing it gently but it would just bring me back to square one, so I had to leave it all together until I couldnt feel any pain any more.

EliteSoldier
05-11-2007, 07:15 PM

You dick-ride on this guy too much. Are you a homo-sexual or something? It's okay if you are but don't attack me because I have a different opinion you ****ing **** sucker.

phallus
05-11-2007, 07:56 PM

reid was a great counterpuncher, froch's style is better for reid than lacy's. froch is a puncher, but a load up, throw one shot at a time time type puncher - perfect for reid to counter with his own big shots. i hope reid still has enough left to beat froch, as u've probably already guessed by now, i'm a reid fan

number6
05-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Froch will win via ud,i could see him goin into lazy mode and coasting to victory.Reid is at least 7 years past his prime if not more.
Im not expecting this to be anything like the lacy fight,Lacy piles on the pressure whereas Froch is more patient and picks his punches more.
Comfortable points win for the Cobra

rossle
05-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Froch will win via ud,i could see him goin into lazy mode and coasting to victory.Reid is at least 7 years past his prime if not more.
Im not expecting this to be anything like the lacy fight,Lacy piles on the pressure whereas Froch is more patient and picks his punches more.
Comfortable points win for the Cobra

Exactly, Reid will have more space and time to work and ive just checked Reids reach wich is an odd 76" to say hes only 5,9", not sure what Frochs is but I do remember that Reids was a fair bit longer than Magees who was 6,0" and Hopkins at 6,2" has only a 75" reach, Froch is easy to outjab and with a reach like that, Reid should keep popping it in his face.

as long as Reid is given some warm up action then i give him a very good chance.

Dont forget, Froch has had 5 years and not been tested, he may well have plataued at his age in a comfort zone of has beens and smaller fighters.

Yes I know Robin is a has been but he is still class and by far the best fighter Froch will have faced, as long as he gets some rounds inbetween

OliverNo1
05-13-2007, 04:04 AM
Froch is hit easily, but does seem to be able to take a shot when he is inevitably caught. I would take him to KO Reid within 6 rounds.

Peder
05-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Damn.. He claims to be number 1 smw, but yet he has never faced any high ranked fighter, not even close. Reid is Ranked 39 @boxrec right now, he was great when he was younger, but now this ranking is spot on.

We have been mentioning Reid in past presence for a few years haven***8217;t we?

If he wants a real title, he should go for it 100%, and not take a silly mandatory.

If this fight is made, and Bute defeats Bika, Froch is #4 smw at best IMO.. (when I don't count Lacy, Mundine and Beyer btw, who both proved more than him, even if they lost some)

adietheforestfa
05-13-2007, 03:50 PM
You dick-ride on this guy too much. Are you a homo-sexual or something? It's okay if you are but don't attack me because I have a different opinion you ****ing **** sucker.

Cook Socks in Hull you muddyfunster.

Dumbass Yank.

You are the sausage jockey.

adietheforestfa
05-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah broke his hand

He fought a world rated fighter only 4 months later.

I have proper broke my hand before and I couldnt punch the bags with my right for about 5 months, I tried doing it gently but it would just bring me back to square one, so I had to leave it all together until I couldnt feel any pain any more.

What are you on??? He actually faught fukin Tony Dodson a full 6 month after.

What is your Point??? Do you agree there are differing severity of hand injuries?? Did you get your hand fixed by a top surgeon at bupa or a fukin student on the NHS. There is a big difference.

rossle
05-13-2007, 04:07 PM
What are you on??? He actually faught fukin Tony Dodson a full 6 month after.

What is your Point??? Do you agree there are differing severity of hand injuries?? Did you get your hand fixed by a top surgeon at bupa or a fukin student on the NHS. There is a big difference.

A broken bone in the hand cannot be operated on, a tendon maybe but the bones are left to heel themselves, they generaly wont even put a cast on the hand (my uncle is a bone setter in the a and e) all they can do is advise you to obviously not punch or any sort of impact or vibrations on the hand.

You wouldnt be able to punch properly with it anyway, it is very painfull and eventualy your hand just goes limp from the pain.

The bones in the hand stay still unless they are forced to bend as in punching a bag

adietheforestfa
05-13-2007, 04:16 PM
A broken bone in the hand cannot be operated on, a tendon maybe but the bones are left to heel themselves, they generaly wont even put a cast on the hand (my uncle is a bone setter in the a and e) all they can do is advise you to obviously not punch or any sort of impact or vibrations on the hand.

You wouldnt be able to punch properly with it anyway, it is very painfull and eventualy your hand just goes limp from the pain.

The bones in the hand stay still unless they are forced to bend as in punching a bag

Iv seen broken bones in the Hand Operated on and held in place with wires to speed up recovery, the NHS obviously dont offer this.

rossle
05-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Iv seen broken bones in the Hand Operated on and held in place with wires to speed up recovery, the NHS obviously dont offer this.

Im from Guernsey, we dont have to rely on the NHS

Im telling you wether you wire up a bone in a hand or not you will still not be able to punch with it until its completely healed.

The hand is your only weapon in boxing, it takes the brunt of eveything, if its a broken leg it may slow you down a bit but you will still be able to move around with all your weight but a broken hand and your ****ed

rossle
05-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Im from Guernsey, we dont have to rely on the NHS

Im telling you wether you wire up a bone in a hand or not you will still not be able to punch with it until its completely healed.

The hand is your only weapon in boxing, it takes the brunt of eveything, if its a broken leg it may slow you down a bit but you will still be able to move around with all your weight but a broken hand and your ****ed

Reids conender fight is on tonight

He had only 2 weeks to prepare for this, so should be given alot of credit and leeway, for at his age and activity, to fight on a big bill with very short notice and being obviously rusty.

I want to see him get another warm up maybe on the Kahn v limmond undercard.

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Reids conender fight is on tonight

He had only 2 weeks to prepare for this, so should be given alot of credit and leeway, for at his age and activity, to fight on a big bill with very short notice and being obviously rusty.

I want to see him get another warm up maybe on the Kahn v limmond undercard.

Read This.

http://www.hennessysports.com/Article.asp?art=291

rossle
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Ok, maybe im being pedantic but I consider breaking your hand as all the bones in the palm, a thumb is a digit along with your fingers.

You are right though a thumb bone is on his hand.

Along with Calzaghe though if he were to turn over his punches properly then he would connect with his knuckles and not his thumb !

This is down to McCracken, I dont rate him as a trainer, all his fighters are the same, easy to hit and lazy workers.

Carl fought Tatavosyan 4 months after Magee where he broke his hand, a world rated fighter 4 months after he broke his hand, that is why I questioned it.

When I broke my hand it was a bone between my little finger knuckle and my wrist (I punched a wall in temper) I couldnt punch with any weight for at least 5 months but I was told that there was nothing they could do about that bone because the only time it would move is if I were to punch something, normal movement didnt bother it

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Ok, maybe im being pedantic but I consider breaking your hand as all the bones in the palm, a thumb is a digit along with your fingers.

You are right though a thumb bone is on his hand.

Along with Calzaghe though if he were to turn over his punches properly then he would connect with his knuckles and not his thumb !

This is down to McCracken, I dont rate him as a trainer, all his fighters are the same, easy to hit and lazy workers.

Carl fought Tatavosyan 4 months after Magee where he broke his hand, a world rated fighter 4 months after he broke his hand, that is why I questioned it.

When I broke my hand it was a bone between my little finger knuckle and my wrist (I punched a wall in temper) I couldnt punch with any weight for at least 5 months but I was told that there was nothing they could do about that bone because the only time it would move is if I were to punch something, normal movement didnt bother it

Frochy puts it down to the type of gloves he used BBE. Iv tried on a pair of these and see his point, your thumb seems to stick out, He never had a problem with Everlasts.

Froch Faught Magee June 06, Tatevosyan March 07. Thats 9 months not 4.
He had fight with Dodson in between Nov 06.

Plus you dont have to be very far off target to catch your thumb with an uppercutt. The punch which Froch hit Magee with in the first.

G0mez
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Carl's thumb was snapped at the base, he pulled his glove off at Bethnal Green and it just dropped down, floppy - very weird.

He was furious with the BBE gloves -swore he'd never fight in them again as they were dangerous.

He has two small dots either side of the thumb were it was pinned in place - he said it stung like hell when they drew the pin out - it looked like something off a watch strap.

ROSS - you off Saddo? how you doing fella - still rooting for Reid, fair play.

ADIE -i'm from Notts too.

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Carl's thumb was snapped at the base, he pulled his glove off at Bethnal Green and it just dropped down, floppy - very weird.

He was furious with the BBE gloves -swore he'd never fight in them again as they were dangerous.

He has two small dots either side of the thumb were it was pinned in place - he said it stung like hell when they drew the pin out - it looked like something off a watch strap.

Where abouts in Notts? Are you Forest????

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Were You there at Bethnal Green??? I was.

rossle
05-14-2007, 04:04 PM

Yeah I am from saddos

I do like Reid but its not just the old heart strings hoping my old favourite can bring back some magic, I genuinly believe Froch aint all that (otherwise his team would have pushed for a title shot long before now) and his style will benefit Reids.

Deffinitly think Reid has a chance, especialy with 5 months to get ready

Hopefully Reid gets some more rounds in before hand

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah I am from saddos

I do like Reid but its not just the old heart strings hoping my old favourite can bring back some magic, I genuinly believe Froch aint all that (otherwise his team would have pushed for a title shot long before now) and his style will benefit Reids.

Deffinitly think Reid has a chance, especialy with 5 months to get ready

Hopefully Reid gets some more rounds in before hand

Reid has two Hopes. Bob Hope and No Hope.

G0mez
05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Wilford, originally from Ollerton.

Not a big follower of football, although i wish Forest all the best obviously !

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Im watching Reid at the moment. He has got fukin no chance againsed Froch.

Too old, too slow

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Wilford, originally from Ollerton.

Not a big follower of football, although i wish Forest all the best obviously !

Im about 5 miles from Ollerton now, Origionaly from Mansfield Woodhouse.

rossle
05-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Im watching Reid at the moment. He has got fukin no chance againsed Froch.

Too old, too slow.

Dont forget, after over a year and a half out and only 2 weeks to prepare it aint that bad

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Dont forget, after over a year and a half out and only 2 weeks to prepare it aint that bad

Froch will keep him off with his reach advantage for a couple of rounds. Then BANG all over.

Froch has serious power at SMW.

G0mez
05-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Ross - Reid has a very real chance of giving anyone a run for their money - i just think perhaps he has waned a little too much, given his activity levels & Carl will be just that bit too powerful for Reid to want to tangle with him. I know Froch was a fan of his when younger.

Adie - How old are you? i know a few from Woodhouse. Mainly stags boys.

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Ross - Reid has a very real chance of giving anyone a run for their money - i just think perhaps he has waned a little too much, given his activity levels & Carl will be just that bit too powerful for Reid to want to tangle with him. I know Froch was a fan of his when younger.

Adie - How old are you? i know a few from Woodhouse. Mainly stags boys.

Im 33. I havent been in Woodhouse for about 18 years

adietheforestfa
05-14-2007, 04:37 PM

Hes boxed more rounds than froch in the last year.

V Dodson 21/2 rounds
V Tatevosyan 2 Rounds

Excuses coming out already

rossle
05-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Hes boxed more rounds than froch in the last year.

V Dodson 21/2 rounds
V Tatevosyan 2 Rounds

Excuses coming out already

Yeah he has now but leading up to this fight is the reason for a below par performance in this fight

I wouldnt be too sure about Froch having any reach advantage

Reid has a 76" reach which is freakishly long arms for someone of only 5,9"

Bernard Hopkins is 6,2" and has only a 75" reach an inch less than Reid

Thios is where Reid will do well against froch, the jab, Froch is quite often outjabbed by far lesser men than Reid

All I want for Reid is for him to be fit and sharp so he is quicker on the trigger than he is on tonights contender, he needs more rounds, its a shame catley bottled out of a fight