View Full Version : How do I start training....

m00ks
09-20-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm so ready to start boxing but I dunno how lol. I don't know how to train, how much to run, what to eat. I'm dying to box but dunno where to start. Plus I live in montreal, canada. Not exactly boxing capital of the world. So the closest gyms are like 45 min away. And there probably like 1-2 in the whole city. Seriously guys, any tips would help.

Hurlex
09-21-2004, 01:26 AM
well first remember always lose the weight first before u start lifting weights...so jog in the morning like i have been told 6 miles..thats about a hour or a lil bit more...dont drink soda or coffee to mcuh or at all if u can...first get down to the weight u want then start doing ur abs and lifting...

crunches and push ups will be essential when you start lifting and all that...but there are other guys here that can explain this better then me ia m just pointing out the main things here...i am trying to get down to 140 so i can start boxing also

rsl
09-21-2004, 02:30 AM
First of , if you don't mind me askin' how old are ya' . You mentioned that there's 1 or 2 boxing gyms in the whole city. So why not join, you don't have to be in shape first and then join, the boxing workout itself will get you in shape. However if transportation or the distance of the gyms is what's stopping you, then the best thing to do is buy those boxing video's. You can also go to websites like www.titleboxing.com. to get those videos or do a web search there maybe some former fighters out there that just love to train people out of their garage or backyard, and you might just end up with a coach who has more to offer and much cheaper, than joining an establishment that would charge you between 80-100 dollars, I don't know how much that is in Canadian currency. I don't necessarily think you have to focus on cardio first and then lift weights after you've lost weight ,doesn't make much sense to me. I say do both, you get your lungs pumpin' and at the same time build strength. I don't know how much knowledge you have of fitness in general. Do you have any friends that might be interested in working out together and again there's tons of books out there on weightlifting that also include basics on nutrition. See there's tons of different weight programs, theories and studies out there, but the best thing to do is keep it basic and not get caught up in the mumbo jumbo of the fitness world. The best thing to do is just go out there and JUST DO IT! Also you might just wanna sign up at a health club and start talking to people and you might end up finding someone that's into boxing.

m00ks
09-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Thnx guys.

Ima start on that road work Hurlex thanx but Ima include some iron in it. How much you weigh now and how long have you been training?

rsl- I'm 20, 21 in december. I don't plan on becoming champion of the world but I want to start cuz I love the sport. Also, I know a lot about training and nutrition...but for bodybuilding though lol. Not the same thing. In BB (to sum it up a bit), high protein and carbs for buildup and high protein, low carb for cuts. Traning is free weights, avoid machines, 3-4 sets 10-12 reps. Lower reps, high weight if you wanna get stronger.

I dunno what the regime is for boxing. But I'll look into it. And if I want to start, I guess BASICS is the way to go lol. thanx again

NichtGeflechten
09-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Do yoga/stretching first....become more mind/body conscious and flexible. This will make training much easier and more efficient.

P.S. Buy a good speedrope.

spinksjinx
09-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Roy Jones does yoga, I wouldnt rule that out...Actually I had roy jones workout plan and it HARDLY consisted of weights at all....

Also free weights are good but I feel using your body weight will make you stronger, Im not saying free weights are bad but half of the people lifting today cant even do 20 pushups....I like bodyweight exercises but to each their own, each person has their own ways of training as everybody is different and react differently.

spinksjinx
09-21-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm so ready to start boxing but I dunno how lol. I don't know how to train, how much to run, what to eat. I'm dying to box but dunno where to start. Plus I live in montreal, canada. Not exactly boxing capital of the world. So the closest gyms are like 45 min away. And there probably like 1-2 in the whole city. Seriously guys, any tips would help.

I totally understand that one about the whole deal finding a gym...The only gym in my town is open from 5pm to 8pm, Their is noway in hell I can go to those hours and that isnt very long if you ask me.

My other option is a guy who trains out of his home, I talked to him on the phone he said he trains professionals only and not amatuers, because it is easier to get them fights and he is not usa boxing certified...

Basically im S.O.L.

I've been pondering about just renting a storage building for a couple bucks a month and put a gym in their for me to work out on and find someone to get certified....

m00ks
09-21-2004, 12:28 PM
I totally understand that one about the whole deal finding a gym...The only gym in my town is open from 5pm to 8pm, Their is noway in hell I can go to those hours and that isnt very long if you ask me.

My other option is a guy who trains out of his home, I talked to him on the phone he said he trains professionals only and not amatuers, because it is easier to get them fights and he is not usa boxing certified...

Basically im S.O.L.

I've been pondering about just renting a storage building for a couple bucks a month and put a gym in their for me to work out on and find someone to get certified....

5-8!!!???! wtf kind of gym is that? lol But yea, I was thinking of buying a heavy and speed bag and set up shop in mah garage. Only thing for winter I'm screwed cuz tehre's no heating there. It's like a freezer in winter. So I dunno. I'll find a way...

spinksjinx
09-21-2004, 12:46 PM
5-8!!!???! wtf kind of gym is that? lol But yea, I was thinking of buying a heavy and speed bag and set up shop in mah garage. Only thing for winter I'm screwed cuz tehre's no heating there. It's like a freezer in winter. So I dunno. I'll find a way...

Yeah I thought those hours were oddball as well, it is a damn nice gym! Huge/heated/air conditioned/has about 6 speed bag and 6 heavy bags, 4 double end bags...Nice equipment and a damn nice locker room and a good size boxing ring as well....I walked up one day and read the hours it says 5:15 am-7:45 pm. I was estatic about going so I showed up the next morning at 6a.m. and nobody was their, I would the number on the door and was like "hey where you at" and the guy got an attitude and was like Im sleeping and the gym dont open til around 5 tonight and hung up on me!

On top of that the hours vary, for when that guy comes in and it is only in the evening...

I was just like AHHH COME ON!

All that nice equipment and only opened 3 hours a day 6 days a week

:( I would like to put that stuff to GOOD USE!

Anyhow yeah it would be balls freezing cold in the winter...Maybe you could hook up a heater or something in their?

I have the whole shabang in my basement already, but im running out of space to move around in so I am dying to get more room....'

I have a double end bag/heavy bag/speed bag/weights/slam man/boxing gloves and mitts and everything just the essentials but hardly any room to work anything and my ceilings are REALLY low less then 6 feet down their.

However if you are tight on a budget go on over to sams club and they have an everlast stand with speed bag and heavy bag INCLUDED! for like 150!

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-24845%3a-24846%3a-31069%3a834777&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0221320046.1095784967_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccdgadcmigfdfkmcfkfcfkjdgoodfkh.0

That is what it looks like, doesnt seem like to bad of a buy...Id be all for training myself or having someone I know do it, But I prefer someone with boxing experience and well im not getting that here obviously....So I have no other choice.

Dr.Pugilist
09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Keep it simple....especially at first.

-Yoga, like Nicht said, can be useful.Flexibility and coordination are key for preventing injury and maximizing the rest of your training.

-Running is also great for stamina, lower body strength, and abs as well. Find a site on running technique before you go. Running wrong can be extremely bad on your joints as well as looking silly.

-Simple compound movements for your workout. Pushups, Squats, clean and jerk, and plyometric jumping exercises.

-Eat a well balanced but high protien diet. Eat a moderate amount of carbs as you will need them to train.

-Get a speed rope.

-GO TO A GYM.

m00ks
09-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Yo spinks, what kind of equipment should I have?

How heavy does my bag have to be? The fit of the gloves?Kind of mitts?...

spinksjinx
09-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Yo spinks, what kind of equipment should I have?

How heavy does my bag have to be? The fit of the gloves?Kind of mitts?...

It's up to you on the bag, I would go with anything above 70 pounds, Champs sports has a 100 bag on sale for like 80 bucks....You dont want to get a light bag and have it swinging around like a maniac...

They have special gloves for bag training, sparring and boxing....

For training and such id go with anywhere between 10-16oz gloves...

Any mitts will do fine.

m00ks
09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
I guess I better start shopping..thanx man

spinksjinx
09-21-2004, 07:19 PM
I guess I better start shopping..thanx man

No problem, Also take your time on shopping you will find it very expensive but some good deals are around the corner if you just look around...I wouldnt skimp on the gloves or headgear, mitts is fine but good gloves and headgear is good to have...Also REMEMBER TO WRAP THOSE HANDS!

m00ks
09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Yaaaaaaa its true...how the **** do you tape yer hands. How tight does it have to be. Is it special boxng tape?

spinksjinx
09-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Yaaaaaaa its true...how the **** do you tape yer hands. How tight does it have to be. Is it special boxng tape?

Im still learning how to properly wrap my hands with guaze and tape over the wraps though. I just use regular hand wraps when hitting the bag and such, I put the strap over my thumb and then wrap my knuckles and then go down to my wrist and back over across the palm...Not very detailed I know, I apologize im not good with instructions.

Also you will know if it is to tight, if they have any pressure at all and when you hit the bag it feels awkwards it is a bad wrap and to tight.

You also want to be careful if the bag is swinging and you hit it, it can enable you to crunch your hand a certain way and break some tendons in your hand which isnt good....

Just be careful and experiment a bit.

Bro.Mike
09-23-2004, 02:21 AM
nice tips in this thread! :) keep em coming guys :)

patto1984
09-23-2004, 03:42 AM
gauze for tape is good. put a hole in the end to stick ur thumb thru to make it easier to wrap up. just cover up ur knuckles, and wrap it around ur thumb once too and have good support around ur wrist nut not to tight. IF the wrist wrap is long enuff u can thread it thru ur fingers too for finger support. I like to do that it feels hella comfy.
If u dont get gauze u can get this elasticy hand wrap. Its nice n strechy so it expands wen u clench ur fist.
DONT GET THE STANDARD COTTON WRAPS THEY'RE ****

Buy gloves for the bag n pads and gloves for sparring.
Will u have ne1 to hold pads or to spar? Shuld get a mate to train wit u

m00ks
09-23-2004, 02:49 PM
gauze for tape is good. put a hole in the end to stick ur thumb thru to make it easier to wrap up. just cover up ur knuckles, and wrap it around ur thumb once too and have good support around ur wrist nut not to tight. IF the wrist wrap is long enuff u can thread it thru ur fingers too for finger support. I like to do that it feels hella comfy.
If u dont get gauze u can get this elasticy hand wrap. Its nice n strechy so it expands wen u clench ur fist.
DONT GET THE STANDARD COTTON WRAPS THEY'RE ****

Buy gloves for the bag n pads and gloves for sparring.
Will u have ne1 to hold pads or to spar? Shuld get a mate to train wit u

Is it me or is it pretty hard to find someone who is actually as interested in boxing as we are? (Out friends I mean and not counting the fans in these sites).

spinksjinx
09-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Is it me or is it pretty hard to find someone who is actually as interested in boxing as we are? (Out friends I mean and not counting the fans in these sites).

Very HARD, All of my friends from high school new nothing about boxing and thought de la hoya would beat roy jones and asked if I thought de la hoya and tyson would fight one day...Obviously retarded...

I've abandoned my friends and watch the fights with my g/f...My god atleast she knows who majority of the guys are and isnt loud and obnoxious when watching fights on tv and she even usually picks the winner...Good company....Most people suck though when it comes to boxing, they know nothing....

Thats speaking for the general public.

m00ks
09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Very HARD, All of my friends from high school new nothing about boxing and thought de la hoya would beat roy jones and asked if I thought de la hoya and tyson would fight one day...Obviously retarded...

I've abandoned my friends and watch the fights with my g/f...My god atleast she knows who majority of the guys are and isnt loud and obnoxious when watching fights on tv and she even usually picks the winner...Good company....Most people suck though when it comes to boxing, they know nothing....

Thats speaking for the general public.

girl who watches boxing with ya? Daaaaannnggg. you hit the jackpot. she's a keeper.

Yeah man, I try to introduce boxing to my friends, but I dunno. They just can't see it like I do. Shame really. Beautifull sport. I do find it funny when some people pretend to be into boxing, and say things like " I like DLH" but when asked why they can't answer, or they know no one else except Tyson or Ali.

Starting roadwork tom. I'm 190. Wanna go down to 154. It's gonna be a rough fall...

Tha Greatest
09-23-2004, 08:36 PM

whats up

dont worry bout tha cold once u start warmin up u'll get warmer then a heater dog

just wear some sweat pants while u warmin up then take em off after and just train with some shorts

Tha Greatest
09-23-2004, 08:40 PM
girl who watches boxing with ya? Daaaaannnggg. you hit the jackpot. she's a keeper.

Yeah man, I try to introduce boxing to my friends, but I dunno. They just can't see it like I do. Shame really. Beautifull sport. I do find it funny when some people pretend to be into boxing, and say things like " I like DLH" but when asked why they can't answer, or they know no one else except Tyson or Ali.

Starting roadwork tom. I'm 190. Wanna go down to 154. It's gonna be a rough fall...

dun worry not hard
i know some guy in my gym who went from 180-145 in not even a long time
and try using albolen but drink lots of water

m00ks
09-23-2004, 09:36 PM
dun worry not hard
i know some guy in my gym who went from 180-145 in not even a long time
and try using albolen but drink lots of water

Nice. That's good to hear thnx. Hey yo what's albolen? And about working out in the cold? It doesn't affect the training?

elveiel
09-25-2004, 08:42 AM

I used to travel 45 mins each way to the gym last year, i now live closer so its only 10 mins. Dont let the distance put you off going to a gym.

Learn how to skip, run about 90% of the max distance you can run, do press ups and sit ups.

When you feel fit enough go to the gym! You can learn from home(i did) but its probably better for 95% of people to learn from a coach at first!

spinksjinx
09-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Nice. That's good to hear thnx. Hey yo what's albolen? And about working out in the cold? It doesn't affect the training?

Albolene is like vasolene sort of it is a jelly you rub onto your body and make you sweat easier, which in return helps you burn fat...Buy abolene and no substitues

http://www.ringside.com

Yes she doesnt get all into it like I do, eyeballs glued to the wall but she does sit their and watch it, while being content..I respect that...I wouldnt have been with her for the past 5 years if she wasnt. :D

Ranger2408
09-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Man my owman tries but i know she has no interest in it:( at least we compromise though

spinksjinx
09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Man my owman tries but i know she has no interest in it:( at least we compromise though

Ohh yeah mine doesnt either unless their is a bunch of action....She constantly has her hand on the remote incase something "cool" happens and she will tivo it like a thousand times...When gatti knocked out dorin she rewinded that thing about 150 times...Which is cool I suppose she is getting into in some aspect....Compromising the building block of every relationship, I know how that is...I have to sit through her shotty shows while she sits through my boxing, in the end it is all worth it.

hambone
12-28-2004, 05:36 PM
What do you do about headaches after having been hit too many times in the head ?

Atwa_66
12-28-2004, 07:50 PM
m00ks, try www.boxinggyms.com
That will tell you exactly what Gyms are in your area
And give you directions to them,
It will supply a phone number to each gym, give one a call

Remember, you don't HAVE to lose weight to start boxing
It depends on how tall you are, and how much you weigh
And if you feel comfortable throwing a hard punch at that weight
I'm starting to box too, and training is hard
Espically in the begining when you're clueless (like me)
Good idea for a thread, members on this site really know their stuff
Good luck in your training and i hope everything works out for you

Atwa_66
12-28-2004, 07:53 PM

I have the same problems with my friends
They all think it's pointless
And is "Just fist fighting in a ring"
Couldn't be more wrong, it is a shame

riz
12-31-2004, 10:43 PM
man these are excellent

gyz i wana lose a bit of weight
peticularly on my upper thighs, my lower back, and my abdomen

i need sum fat burning exercises for these.

im in school, so i hav accesability to a gym

Fistecles
01-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey man. I live in montreal canada aswell. And you're right, it's not the boxing capitol of teh world. But there are a few gyms around here. E-mail me and I can point some out. Molonlaveh@yahoo.com. Type in "boxing gyms" under subject so that I know it's you and don't delete your e-mail.
But if you have the space at hoome, all you need is a jump rope and if you can hang a heavey bag somewhere evn better. And ofcourse don't forget your shadow boxing. You don't need anything for that. Just push your furniture out of the way, shine a light behind you and box. Look at your shadow being cast to make sure your form is right.