View Full Version : My first experience in a boxing gym.

IronNick
03-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I finally went to a boxing gym. me and a couple friends decided to walk down to check it out tonite . I was soo excited. we walked in , and asked if we cud check it out. the place was deserted due to golden gloves . we wer given a tour of the musty gym (think apollo creeds gym in rocky 3 , but smaller) he first showed us all the equipment, and then told us to try the speed bag lol. none of us hit it more than 3 seconds lol. next he told us to go in the ring and get the feel. alot softer than i thought.
i couldnt believe wat was happening, i had only expected them to giv us a membership form lol. next, he held out the pads and told us combos to hit them , like he shouted " one, two", "two jabs" "gimme 4!" "gimme 6!", my friends didnt really understand the orders., But me i knew, thanks to the ppl on this forum!
last but not least , we wer given registration forms. as we walked out i found i couldnt get rid of the grin that was on my face.

David06
03-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Nice, I should be going sometime this week or when I get back from vacation.(I would have gone a while ago but my mom is being a pain about me going)

Anyways, I'm really excited. I hope that I get to do more besides just watch.

Chipper
03-31-2007, 01:13 AM
good luck, i need to get into a gym soon....

but my parents are holding out on it... they think ill get brain damage

Undefeated
03-31-2007, 01:16 AM
As soon as I enter my gym (Gleason's Gym) I feel in love.. They have everything there. Theres alot of people there. Im looking for to be registered REAL soon. Get a record going on!

Good **** though. Sign that form and throw on the gloves and do you. Boxing is the best sport im telling you.

David06
03-31-2007, 01:19 AM

I don't know how your arguments have gone, but tell them that training(excluding sparring) is basically risk-free. Sparring isn't much worse than playing football, in my opinion.

Undefeated
03-31-2007, 01:21 AM
Nothing can be worse than my gym. It's 80 a month for that ****.. 60 if you're a registered fighter. Plus training.. It's seperate.. Puts a hole in your pocket!

kNIVEK2
03-31-2007, 01:22 AM

i feel ya man, my parents are like that too

David06
03-31-2007, 01:33 AM
i feel ya man, my parents are like that too
My mom is a little hesitant about me boxing(mostly because of the gym location i think), but the way I see it in 3 months I'll be 18, and in 5 or 6 months I'll be in college, so I can pretty much do whatever I want at that point.

IronNick
03-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Nothing can be worse than my gym. It's 80 a month for that ****.. 60 if you're a registered fighter. Plus training.. It's seperate.. Puts a hole in your pocket!

that is pretty damn expensive to be honest. i think this place i went to charges 30 a month or so. but then a gain ur gym might be of better quality.

skyler
03-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Good luck man, iv had to find a new gym recently since moving house, but its all good since theres a boxing gym about 10 minutes run away from where i work.

They have boxing fitness a 5:30 to 6:30 and then Amateur training from 6:30 on would, so im thinking of joining up there doing the fitness class just to warm up aswell as doing the Amateur class, it all works out nicely for me though its much smaller then the other gym.

platinummatt!
03-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Good story man. Good luck

SryNoAutographs
03-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Good luck IronNick. I plan on joining a gym myself pretty soon.

Darkstranger
03-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah good luck mate! I started 2 months ago, its hard work but love every second of it!

Stick to your guns son!

:boxing:

IronNick
04-01-2007, 01:13 AM
thanks to every1 who said goodluck. ill keep u posted on my progress from time to time .:boxing:

McAlister
04-01-2007, 01:50 AM
nick get back in that girls gone wild thread.. lol its gettin crazy in there

mgkirkpatrick
04-01-2007, 08:22 AM
sounds like great timing for your first visit nick. good luck man..

you guys have expensive ass gyms.. mine's 30 bucks for six months and then you have to pay 5 bucks for coached sessions and non coached sessions are free.. my brother has got the key to the gym so i could go whenever i wanted if i got motivated.

BoxingRookie
04-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Good luck Nick well at my gym its $35 a month, luckily i got in free cuz my cousin used to box there and he helps out hes a 2 time golden glove winner so they let me in free, ive been doing it for about 3 months and i love it man hopefully u will to but it is Hard work.good luck with everything

IronNick.
04-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Good luck.. I admire anyone who joins the sport of boxing. I was always a baseball player. Never got too involved in contact sports. However i am still a fan of boxing.

ml2niceguy
04-02-2007, 02:10 AM
yeh i just had my first experience early last week ...can't wait to start going more...i got my free month right now...just seeing how it is

IronNick
04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
yea good luck to u.

ASATS
04-07-2007, 04:51 PM
The gym i am gonna register for is 50 dollars a year. I know thats really cheap. Its PAL though.

Golden-Gloves
04-08-2007, 04:14 AM
My Gym is pretty ****in exspensive, $80 a month..

Even though I have a 4 time world champ as my trainer, that might count for something..

Trick
04-08-2007, 04:36 AM
My Gym is pretty ****in exspensive, $80 a month..

Even though I have a 4 time world champ as my trainer, that might count for something..

I would say it does...

Mine was the KICK-boxing champ. He ain't so big, but he's a scary motha****a.