View Full Version : Corkscrew punch

eazy_mas
03-24-2007, 07:38 AM
i was watching couple of anime and found this punch is it real or fake.

but part of it is like using nearly whole your body and from toes to hips to twisting you hands for tourque just asking

platinummatt!
03-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Porkchop said what I was doing on the bag sounded like the Jack Dempsey Corkscrew

Exige Jr
03-24-2007, 09:45 AM
i was watching couple of anime and found this punch is it real or fake.

but part of it is like using nearly whole your body and from toes to hips to twisting you hands for tourque just asking
Amongst the guys in my club, we say ''corkscrew punch'' to refer to the kind of punch you would throw from an odd angle. Like if you had slipped a jab you would be in the position to throw an uppercut but it wouldnt be a conventional uppercut, it would be a ''corkscrew uppercut''. And so on....

platinummatt!
03-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Amongst the guys in my club, we say ''corkscrew punch'' to refer to the kind of punch you would throw from an odd angle. Like if you had slipped a jab you would be in the position to throw an uppercut but it wouldnt be a conventional uppercut, it would be a ''corkscrew uppercut''. And so on....

I thought these were "angular punches"

Exige Jr
03-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I thought these were "angular punches"
Never heard that term mate. I was doing it last night and was catching everyone off guard. I was coming into them, but not coming straight on, as I was on my way in I would take a step to the right usually. So now I am to their left and they have to reset their feet and hands and everything to face me. Meanwhile I have a perfect shot on them with either a left hook smash in the face or a right hand straight over the top of their left hand.

I did it on a kid who had much less experience than me because he was using his lack of experience as an excuse to really pressurise and throwing bombs. He missed most of the time but I saw the intent in his punches just in the way he threw them... and then he caught me with the odd 1-2 here and there. So I decided, time to step it up now and smashed him 3 shots that stunned him... thats when they stopped the round, literally 2 seconds after.

platinummatt!
03-24-2007, 10:10 AM
ahhh, well thats what they call them in this book here.

Cool, maybe you will be an angular puncher master

eazy_mas
03-25-2007, 02:36 PM
i though you would say something like this one:
http://ippo.confusticated.com/techniques/corkscrew-again.gif

and another great thing in the anime ippo but i know this one is not true for sure but maybe someday i could try to make it real the heartbreak shot:
http://ippo.confusticated.com/techniques/heartbreak-edit.gif

is it similar to this one that i was asking thanks Exige for the tips good k coming up to you:

here is the website if the link didnt work http://ippo.confusticated.com/techniques.html

Animal Squabbs
03-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Fighting SPirit is ****in badass. Eji Date uses the "corkscrew punch" and technically it does exist. Actually it is how you are supposed to throw your right hand punch all the time, throw it from you face and turn the fist so that the first two knuckles land on your opponent. also make sure you turn your hips into it. Thats all Date does if you watch it.

Gio
03-26-2007, 03:26 AM
Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNo8nXD3xoc

Scottie2Hottie
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
when i think corkscrew punch, i think of ricky hatton throwing that crazy uppercut of his.

-Hyperion-
04-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Fighting SPirit is ****in badass. Eji Date uses the "corkscrew punch" and technically it does exist. Actually it is how you are supposed to throw your right hand punch all the time, throw it from you face and turn the fist so that the first two knuckles land on your opponent. also make sure you turn your hips into it. Thats all Date does if you watch it.

yeah, date rules, his second fight with ricardo martinez is awesome...

eazy_mas
04-26-2007, 11:41 AM
yeah, date rules, his second fight with ricardo martinez is awesome...

but loved the ippo fight more

Ricardo Martiniz is 1 p4p fighter in series right now and Ippo is nowhere close to him now Ippo is fighting a philipino champ who says the safest place for him is in the boxing ring is kinda intersting because they guy offered Ippo that he will lose if he paid him.

you could checkout the series at www.thespectrum.net this one is volume 78 the lastest fight.

THere is another more powerful couterpuncher than Miyate is called Sawarma but not as fast

-Hyperion-
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
but loved the ippo fight more

Ricardo Martiniz is 1 p4p fighter in series right now and Ippo is nowhere close to him now Ippo is fighting a philipino champ who says the safest place for him is in the boxing ring is kinda intersting because they guy offered Ippo that he will lose if he paid him.

you could checkout the series at www.thespectrum.net this one is volume 78 the lastest fight.

THere is another more powerful couterpuncher than Miyate is called Sawarma but not as fast

THANKS...ACTUALLY IM READIND IT RIGHT NOW IN VOLUME 76 WHERE ITAGAKI COUNTERS HOSHI'S FIRST SHT AND DROPS HIM!!!!!

eazy_mas
04-26-2007, 01:33 PM
THANKS...ACTUALLY IM READIND IT RIGHT NOW IN VOLUME 76 WHERE ITAGAKI COUNTERS HOSHI'S FIRST SHT AND DROPS HIM!!!!!

where did you reach at the anime?

I think the manga is far away.

there is a trick you could play with the link above and put the vol that you want to read but it is kinda complicated.

I jump could of vol because it too long to read but i was reading i stopped til he meet with Sawarma
then came back with the newer vol on the net and see couple of fight here and there.
Vog is much stronger than Ippo later on he really didnt show his true style

-Hyperion-
04-26-2007, 02:20 PM
where did you reach at the anime?

I think the manga is far away.

there is a trick you could play with the link above and put the vol that you want to read but it is kinda complicated.

I jump could of vol because it too long to read but i was reading i stopped til he meet with Sawarma
then came back with the newer vol on the net and see couple of fight here and there.
Vog is much stronger than Ippo later on he really didnt show his true style

I saw the anime when i was like 12... four years ago.....im downloading the whole series....

manga ive been reading it for 2 weeks....ive read all volumes from 1 to 76(now reading 77....)

the anime ends like at volume 30....also the movies...

Vorg may be my favourite character:headbang: ....welll after takamura...

eazy_mas
04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I saw the anime when i was like 12... four years ago.....im downloading the whole series....

manga ive been reading it for 2 weeks....ive read all volumes from 1 to 76(now reading 77....)

the anime ends like at volume 30....also the movies...

Vorg may be my favourite character:headbang: ....welll after takamura...

so you been you are close to the lastest vol i think it 78

who is hoshin? i tried to search for him but didnt find him in the jolt website or is it the guy who kicked Itahgki ass in the amateur and wanted to date his sister?

Animal Squabbs
04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
are you guys talkin aout Vorg Zangief? and where do you get the books?

-Hyperion-
04-26-2007, 02:59 PM
so you been you are close to the lastest vol i think it 78

who is hoshin? i tried to search for him but didnt find him in the jolt website or is it the guy who kicked Itahgki ass in the amateur and wanted to date his sister?

hoshi is sendo's kouhai(younger or new gym mate), the new west japan rookie king

-Hyperion-
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
are you guys talkin aout Vorg Zangief? and where do you get the books?

yeah vorg zanghief, you can get the scans here.....

http://www.tidwah.net/mangas/view/1

Animal Squabbs
04-26-2007, 03:03 PM
yeah vorg zanghief, you can get the scans here.....

http://www.tidwah.net/mangas/view/1

do they sell the actual books anywhere?

Hazmat
04-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Gio, that's the ruddic smash. The corckscrew push is a reference to ali. It's what dundee called his overhand right that laid someone out ( I can't remember who ) it sort of goes around the guys left guard or if he's throwing a jab you slip it while throwing the twisty over hand right.

PunchDrunk
04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Hajime no Ippo's the best comic book/anime ever. ****in' love it. :)

And yes, the corkscrew punch is when you twist your hand right around impact. I think Terry McGovern was one of the first fighters to really develop it. Back then, with the gloves they had, he was really good at making cuts on his opponents, using the corkscrew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_McGovern_(boxer)

-Hyperion-
04-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Hajime no Ippo's the best comic book/anime ever. ****in' love it. :)

And yes, the corkscrew punch is when you twist your hand right around impact. I think Terry McGovern was one of the first fighters to really develop it. Back then, with the gloves they had, he was really good at making cuts on his opponents, using the corkscrew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_McGovern_(boxer)

hell yeah, hajime no ippo is the best damn manga ive read along wih slam dunk..

j
04-28-2007, 03:03 AM
the corkscrew punch is a real punch. it takes on the same action as a drill.

somebody mentioned the image of hatton doing an uppercut. this is the main way i train drilling. corkscrew is more overturning. legend has it that demspey was taught this punch by a chinese boxer. it is a somewhat unconfirmed story, but who knows - i have seen a supposed picture of the two.

j
04-28-2007, 03:05 AM
I think Terry McGovern was one of the first fighters to really develop it.

the corkscrew punch is older than modern combative boxing.

eazy_mas
04-28-2007, 05:28 AM
yo j you are an expert in kung fu too

anyway to open a thread for the drunken master :D

another thing i seen the movie in you avater it is the gorest movie I have ever seen and there is the anime too

PunchDrunk
04-29-2007, 02:48 PM
the corkscrew punch is older than modern combative boxing.

Sure, but he was one of the first boxers known to inflict cuts on his opponents by using it. :)

PunchDrunk
04-29-2007, 02:49 PM
do they sell the actual books anywhere?

You can get'em on E-bay.