View Full Version : Best Weight lifting exercises

Pound 4 Pound
03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Which are the most effective lifts for boxing, and with how many reps and sets.

-Don't post just to say it is terrible for boxers to lift, because I don't buy it.

IronNick
03-23-2007, 06:16 PM
just look at the other threads on this subject.

Kayo
03-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Compound lifts like Bench Press,Squats,Rows,Dead Lifts and Military Press

rep ranges like 5x5 work well as its for explosive strength and not so much for size

fraidycat
03-23-2007, 10:35 PM
I do squats, deadlifts, and cleans. One day of each, 6-8 sets of 6-8 sets with about 50-60% of my max on alternate days from boxing. I.e., box one day, lift the next. Power in boxing comes from coordination, not brute strength. Compound lifts, particularly Olympic lifts, work to coordinate many muscle groups and train them to work together. Working up a big power clean will do a lot more for your hitting and movement than having sexy biceps will.

phallus
03-23-2007, 10:46 PM
I do squats, deadlifts, and cleans. One day of each, 6-8 sets of 6-8 sets with about 50-60% of my max on alternate days from boxing. I.e., box one day, lift the next. Power in boxing comes from coordination, not brute strength. Compound lifts, particularly Olympic lifts, work to coordinate many muscle groups and train them to work together. Working up a big power clean will do a lot more for your hitting and movement than having sexy biceps will.

this is all true, since i started doing cleans and snatches i can move the punching bag around even more than i used to

dario
03-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Honestly, there is no best weight lifting exercises. There are so many and each of them just have a different affect for everyone. Everyone's body responds differently towards different exercises, aswell as how many sets and reps you perform. Try a variety of exercises and see which one works for you best; that's how I did it and I've seen bigger gains than I would when I would follow someone else's routine.

And it also depends how much you are willing to work out. I lift weights 6 days of the week and box about 2-3 days a week.

Rob Pilger
03-26-2007, 07:24 PM
To increase punching power train the lat's.. They are key to decelerating the punch.. The better you can decelerate.. The more power you will have..

Bent over rows, 1 arm cable pull is a great exercise that trains the core(obliques) and the lats, and other back muscles in one movement..

Train your core in rotation.. Rotation is key as is core strength.. Wd chops are great, Russian twists etc..

Basically to just want to correct your muscle imbalances and strengthen were you are weak..

Strength training exercise selection are based on your needs..

Rob Pilger
Theultimateboxingworkout.com
Pilgerstrainingsystems.com