View Full Version : Window Shoppers and Dropouts at your Gym ?

Peterp
03-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Does your gym get a lot of window shoppers (people who come down once or twice and decide Boxing isn't for them) and dropouts (people who train for a bit then usually when they get hit a bit dropout).

We have quite a few, especially window shoppers.

I think people like the idea of being a boxer much more than the sweat and pain it takes to become one.

When newbies witness our hard sparring sessions, that usually puts a lot of people off.

jackedblackcop
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
thats what I did I left boxing and became a member of the Intelligentsia.

Verstyle
03-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Does your gym get a lot of window shoppers (people who come down once or twice and decide Boxing isn't for them) and dropouts (people who train for a bit then usually when they get hit a bit dropout).

We have quite a few, especially window shoppers.

I think people like the idea of being a boxer much more than the sweat and pain it takes to become one.

When newbies witness our hard sparring sessions, that usually puts a lot of people off.

we had plenty of those at my old gym. it was so bad they were all new there besides me,well not experience.

Famoso Matador
03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
how old are the oldest people at your gyms?

fraidycat
03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
how old are the oldest people at your gyms?

We have a couple of guys in their 40's and one guy in his 50's.

We have a lot of dropouts. Most people don't last past the first month.

Famoso Matador
03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
So do any pros train at your gyms? and are most people at the gyms just there because boxing is there hobby?

fraidycat
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
So do any pros train at your gyms? and are most people at the gyms just there because boxing is there hobby?

We have a real mix: we have one trainer who is an actual pro, one girl who has a Golden Gloves champion belt on the wall, 2 guys who went to GG this past year -- one of whom we all think will go pro next year -- a half a dozen amateurs, 1 Master Division amateur (44) who just got his first fight, 1 MMA pro who drops in occasionally. The rest is a real rogues' gallery: half a dozen or so white-collar / midlife crisis lawyers-turned-boxers, a few sleepy-eyed college jocks who come in once a week or so for the "conditioning," a large contingent of real motha****in' gangstas, and about as many X-Games types with tattoos and goatees -- the kind of guys you would see jumping out of airplanes on snowboards.

IronNick
03-19-2007, 11:32 PM
holy **** that is a mix! and where do u fit into there.

-Antonio-
03-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Atleast 10 since I have started, which was about 3 months ago. A few of them claim to have amatuer experience too. And when they hit the bag you can tell they either lied, or werent given much training. A lot of people get freaked out by sparring sessions.

-Antonio-
03-20-2007, 12:01 AM

When I went to my coach he was training two amatuers. One is a multiple GG winner, and was going to regionals, but he basically just pissed away his future this past week.

He was cought having sex with a 13 year old in the back seat of his car. The girl was on probation and also accuses him of helping her break off her bracelet. Its one big mess, and hes in deep ****. The other guy I was talking about was I think 2-0 as an am, and one day when he was sparring, he faced a really good am who roughed him up a bit, and forced him to never come back.

Now I train with a bunch of novices like myself.

Bear4228
03-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Atleast 10 since I have started, which was about 3 months ago. A few of them claim to have amatuer experience too. And when they hit the bag you can tell they either lied, or werent given much training. A lot of people get freaked out by sparring sessions.

Ya lol, its a whole nother ball game once you get hit haha.

Verstyle
03-20-2007, 01:01 AM

dont mean to brag but ive retired a few guys at the gym sparring myself.

realheavyhands
03-20-2007, 01:10 AM
dont mean to brag but ive retired a few guys at the gym sparring myself.

WHEN U TURINING PRO

Verstyle
03-20-2007, 01:13 AM
WHEN U TURINING PRO

hopefully in 5 or 6 months

juggernautburn
03-20-2007, 01:35 AM
hopefully in 5 or 6 months

that's around the time i plan to turn pro.

-Antonio-
03-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Im not gonna lie the first time I witnessed sparring, I got nervous. It was a gym war too, nothing easy. They basically went all out, and when I heard the repeated head shots, I started to rethink my new found hobby. Then when I got in there weeks later, I brushed off the headshots just fine for the most part. It was the body shots that hurt like a *****. One straight right to the gut in particular had me bend over like professional wrestlers do when they get kicked.

boxer2k5
03-20-2007, 03:42 AM
of course
i think every gym gets that
schools anything

when they get that first day of training u see
who wants it and even worse when
they get to spar the first time and they get
hit u see who really wanna fights

MOREBASS
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I guess you could say that I'm a window shopper. I went in for one session, and got my ass wore out ( No Homo ) Decided to come back in half decent shape...I'm just about there now. But just keep putting it off, for one reason or another.

It was probably the most punishing physical task I've ever done. Keep in mind that I used to unload trucks for UPS @ 4am in the morning, non-stop for 4 hours straight with no break.

Yes, it was tougher than that.

Exige Jr
03-20-2007, 02:25 PM
So many of them, and its not exclusive to new people either.

I have put 2 active boxers into retirement in the past year.

ml2niceguy
03-20-2007, 02:30 PM

don't doubt it...but then again that applies to anything

shawn_
03-20-2007, 05:54 PM
hurting your sparing partners isnt something to brag about.

Exige Jr
03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
It is if they are more experienced than you and telling you they are gonna knock you out.

Verstyle
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM

its not always that.for me it was making them look stupid cause they couldn't hit me and them gasing out cause they couldnt

fraidycat
03-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Something to think about: Boxing, perhaps more than any other sport, makes you immediately take a good, hard, sometimes unpleasant look at the kind of person you really are.

I tend to think that a lot of people are just like me. We walk around thinking that we're tough. We think we've got a good handle on things, that we're capable and tough, figuring we can handle whatever the world throws at us; maybe secretly hoping that we're tough but hoping even harder that we never have to find out.

Boxing makes you realize how tough you are. . . or, in many cases, how tough you aren't.

Boxing is about as physically and psychologically demanding as it gets. Those first few sessions of full-contact sparring bring you face to face with yourself; you realize what you're truly made of. I would bet that a lot of people either don't like what they see, or they realize that self-realization under fire is not their thing. And if it's not their thing, then that's cool. It's possible that they're just not cut out to make a hobby out of beating the hell out of people. And that's great. More power to 'em. The world needs gentle souls as much as it needs warriors, and the canvas is not a place for gentle souls. . . unless they're flat on their back with X's for eyes.

Me, I'm a caveman at heart. Ritual nonlethal combat has been a part of human development since prehistoric times. I may not be the best fighter in my gym -- and the kleenex currently jammed up my nose will attest to that -- but when I'm in there and I'm throwing heavy, I'm part of something far older and far larger. So I'll take the pain if it's the price of admission.

Your mileage may vary.

Gio
03-21-2007, 03:46 AM
Something to think about: Boxing, perhaps more than any other sport, makes you immediately take a good, hard, sometimes unpleasant look at the kind of person you really are.

I tend to think that a lot of people are just like me. We walk around thinking that we're tough. We think we've got a good handle on things, that we're capable and tough, figuring we can handle whatever the world throws at us; maybe secretly hoping that we're tough but hoping even harder that we never have to find out.

Boxing makes you realize how tough you are. . . or, in many cases, how tough you aren't.

Boxing is about as physically and psychologically demanding as it gets. Those first few sessions of full-contact sparring bring you face to face with yourself; you realize what you're truly made of. I would bet that a lot of people either don't like what they see, or they realize that self-realization under fire is not their thing. And if it's not their thing, then that's cool. It's possible that they're just not cut out to make a hobby out of beating the hell out of people. And that's great. More power to 'em. The world needs gentle souls as much as it needs warriors, and the canvas is not a place for gentle souls. . . unless they're flat on their back with X's for eyes.

Me, I'm a caveman at heart. Ritual nonlethal combat has been a part of human development since prehistoric times. I may not be the best fighter in my gym -- and the kleenex currently jammed up my nose will attest to that -- but when I'm in there and I'm throwing heavy, I'm part of something far older and far larger. So I'll take the pain if it's the price of admission.

Your mileage may vary.

Damn Fraidy, Thats a great way to break it down...:hail:

Undefeated
03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
I go to Gleasons.. I seen Edgar Santana the other day. He was watching me hit the bag. I seen Judah also, but that ni99a was leaving. I ain't go today because im mad sore from the other day. ( I was oding on the bag showing off because Santana looking at me hyped me up lol) Im not doing that no more. Ima go tommorrow. Time to ease down!

DMC
03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I suppose you could call me a window shopper.
However I am going back for the purchase. hehe

I went to a local gym late last year and did 3 classes after the first one I was so wrecked and sore I thought I had been hit by a truck. However something strange happened.
Gentle, kind, wouldn't hurt a fly me, loved it.
Me who wasn't into any sort of violence and thought boxing was for thugs, found out it's not that bad. After 3 lessons I was hooked.
But I had to stop as I went overseas for a month.
But I have been back a month now and been going to a regular gym to get my fitness up. I have to thank boxing because since that first session I had I have lost 11kg and feel better than I have my hole life.
But tonight I start again and go back to my Local Boxing gym in better shape and looking forward to pushing myself to the limit.
I think going Amateur is out for me because I am 31, however the training is great. We will just see how I feel if I ever have a spar.
But my Hat goes off to all you boxers who get in that ring and give 110% every time. You have more courage and guts than most people will ever have.

DMC:boxing:

Animal Squabbs
03-28-2007, 08:17 PM
corrales doesnt train at our gym anymore... so I guess he's a drop out :dunno:

haha actually he went around the corner to Johny Taccos gym.

Animal Squabbs
03-28-2007, 08:24 PM
I guess you could say that I'm a window shopper. I went in for one session, and got my ass wore out ( No Homo ).

aahaha, DIPSET!!!

canrus123
03-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Boxing is no doubt a brutal sport and there is no shame in quitting. It takes balls to even step through the ropes. Anyone who steps through the ropes and fights whether he/she wins or loses is a lot tougher than most people.

mexpwr915
04-01-2007, 06:28 PM
i'm about to join a gym in the next two weeks and test if i'm a windows shopper or dropout... i am doing it because i want a better understanding of the technical aspects of the sport. i'd like to try sparring and although i'm not a full contact guy ususall i'd like to think i can do this or anything for that matter just as well as anyone else starting out.

how long was it before the first time you all sparred with someone? were they more experienced than you were or was it someone new like you were?

cool thread... also any tips for the new guy??

BoxingRookie
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Well First of id like to say after about 2 1/2 months im not a window shopper. Witch i feel like if i were to quit im a nobody and when i do go i enjoy it i come out and feel like damn that was awsome or sometimes i feel like damn i need to go all out next time.

Well MEXPWR915 the first time i spared was today i have about 2 1/2 months of training he had about a year of training and he was a light wieght and i was a heavy wieght the coach did this so that i can learn how to get faster and he could learn how to take harder punches overall it was pretty good. But good luck and if u have any other questions feel free to ask me thanks---------FRANK The Tank