View Full Version : Big Back?

Cutthroat
03-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Does having a big back or a wide frame usually mean you have a lot of punching power? Look at Miranda, Miranda has a big back, he's got wings and everything. Klitschko also has a big back and Sam Peter and Rahman and others...

http://www.boxing.fi/kuvatc/edisonmiranda2.jpg

leff
03-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Does having a big back or a wide frame usually mean you have a lot of punching power? Look at Miranda, Miranda has a big back, he's got wings and everything. Klitschko also has a big back and Sam Peter and Rahman and others...

http://www.boxing.fi/kuvatc/edisonmiranda2.jpg

hmmmmmm havent thought about before but.....yeah fighters with broad backs tend to hit hard.

tyson,marciano,frazier etc

j
03-14-2007, 02:25 AM
power is not independent on one particular thing. anything, i mean anyhting that can boost your power should be utilized unless it interferes with speed, relaxation, general health, etc.

having a strong back certainly helps. myself, i have been researching into the anatomy and structure that makes up the torso rather than just blindly following weightlifting routines and the like.

Cutthroat
03-14-2007, 02:51 AM
power is not independent on one particular thing. anything, i mean anyhting that can boost your power should be utilized unless it interferes with speed, relaxation, general health, etc.

having a strong back certainly helps. myself, i have been researching into the anatomy and structure that makes up the torso rather than just blindly following weightlifting routines and the like.

I beleive Miranda got that back from all the work he did through his childhood and doing a ****load of pushups. I don't know if it'd be the same for lifting weights, like what if instead Miranda did back exercises with weights instead of using his own body weight, would he have more power lifting weights, or from doing push ups and other exercises that he'd use his body weight?

Cutthroat
03-14-2007, 02:53 AM
http://www.bbv-net.de/layout/showbilder/18365-ddp_016A700003893A1B.jpg

dario
03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
It helps a lot, but bigger legs and abs are more of a factor.

enadeus
03-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I believe it has more to do with shoulders and neck, and also wrist lenght and arm lenght.

BrooklynBomber
03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
To be honest, everything is a factor in a big punch.
Edit: fighter ususally have big backs.

Brockton Lip
03-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Broad shoulders seem to help. Look at Hearns for example.

Kid Achilles
03-14-2007, 09:00 PM
And Max Baer and Tim Witherspoon. Very broad torso'ed guys. A great deal of it is bone structure, not just musculature.

Having a huge frame like that helps you absorb a punch much better, as well as giving you a "heavier" punch. Doesn't neccesarily make you a one punch knockout fighter of course.

Phunky Villian
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
punch power comes from technuique, style/stance and obvo body weight, but i guess a little more muscle here and there can effect the power delivery, like the triceps, lats and shoulders help push the punch forwards, more strength in those places i suppose will help.
peace.

DA1CATAS
03-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Hmmm... interesting......I've thought of this but I've never looked at it with this much weight b4.. I'll definately be looking into this.. thanx for the post.

XionComrade
03-16-2007, 10:23 PM
If punching isn't your style it doesn't matter, but if it is everything comes into play. Its pure coordination. Taking it from the legs, to the hips, back abs and through the upperbody (Which absorbs the punch, so its good to have a strong chest and overall upperbody or the shot will just get disolved then and their) and out the fist.

Ive always said fighters are made, but they are born with their styles, Ali woulda made a ****ty puncher, and Shavers would make a ****ty technician.

I remember someone on here said something to the extent of, "I beleive punching power is 5% genetics, and 95% hard work!" and really that sums it up in a nutshell, its how bad you want it and how much your willing to put your body through to get it.

shawn_
03-17-2007, 04:39 PM
For most fighter, punching power comes from the legs. Look at most of the big punchers. They have legs like tree trunks. Look at Pacquiao he has the legs of a middleweight. Tyson had legs like tree trunks. George foreman had legs like tree trunks. Joe Frazier? Legs like tree trunks. Marciano? Legs like a tree trunks.

They other type of big puncher is the tall lanky puncher that gets leverage behind his shots. Tommy hearns is an example. This is where broad shoulders come into play as they help you generate leverage through the twisting motion of your torso.

The two types of punchers punch differently. The Tommy Hearns style is sitting down on the punches. You go into a slight crouch as you rotate through with your torso. These punches tend to be straiter than punches thrown comming from a crouch.

The power punchers that develope power from their legs come from a crouch. You might have heared Marciano described that way. Its basicaly the opposite of sitting down on your punches. You start in a crouch and uncoil and stand (Using your massive legs) to twist you through the punch.
Punches thrown like this tend to be more of the looping variety (Tyson did it with hooks). If you watch clips of George Foreman, you will notice that most of his twisting is powered by his legs.

platinummatt!
03-17-2007, 07:14 PM
surely. big back = big torso = more weight = more power. Also back muscles are used in punching

Phunky Villian
03-17-2007, 08:04 PM
the basics of the power is...... however quick you can move the weight effectivly... the faster a heavy object goes from stationary, harder it hits.

Mistadobalina
03-17-2007, 09:23 PM
if by big back you mean, a very muscular back, i wouldn't know. but if by big back as in broad shoulders then i'd say yes, that does have something to do with punching power.

i mean, look at the vast majority of all the "skinny" 1-punch knockout artists like hearns and bob foster. overall, they had small frames, but were VERY wide at the shoulders.

maybe it has something to do with the extra range of motion in the shoulders?