View Full Version : shoulder rolls

potatoes
03-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Joe Louis demonstrates:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/louispics/louis_godoy2b.jpg

Looks like Godoy's face is about to have a collision with Louis's right glove!

Jim_Davis
03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Mayweather has the best shoulder roll

Brockton Lip
03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Alot of people act as if the shoulder roll is new, it has been around for a long time. You can watch Sugar Ray Robinson do it as well; he doesn't do it as much as Toney or Mayweather, but hes done it.

Trick
03-13-2007, 12:36 AM
O ya, it's been around forever. Lately it's been hailed as more of a "style" though.

potatoes
03-13-2007, 12:46 AM
James Toney demonstrates:

http://www.ibamensboxing.com/images/JAMESTONEY25.JPG

Trick
03-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Toney's a great technical boxer, at least in my humble opinion.

Nice pics potatoes.

The Monk
03-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Toney is the master of shoulder rolls.

*!#@PBRick@#!*
03-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Toney is the master of shoulder rolls.

I don't know... Pretty Boy has a mean shoulder roll too...

Ramamaiden
03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Joe Louis demonstrates:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/louispics/louis_godoy2b.jpg

Looks like Godoy's face is about to have a collision with Louis's right glove!

offtopic: omg great godoy pic, thanks a lot ^^. im chilean and he is the best boxer of the history of Chile. :banana:

The Monk
03-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't know... Pretty Boy has a mean shoulder roll too...

Yeah floyd is class at it too, but i give toney more credit due to his size. He moves those shoulders very well for a big guy.

DA1CATAS
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Does anyone else feel like the shoulder roll sets you up for horrible left hook on an angle?.....

To me it seems like if ya don't counter fast enough or keep your right hand down when ya roll your asking an experienced boxer(or just a new boxer thats a combination thrower) to feed you the left hook covered with nyquil....

Any response too this is welcome.

*!#@PBRick@#!*
03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Does anyone else feel like the shoulder roll sets you up for horrible left hook on an angle?.....

To me it seems like if ya don't counter fast enough or keep your right hand down when ya roll your asking an experienced boxer(or just a new boxer thats a combination thrower) to feed you the left hook covered with nyquil....

I am a complete novice when it comes to actual boxing skill and defensive technic but, from what I know, the left hook should be blocked with the right glove/forearm... Not sure though...

Trick
03-13-2007, 12:29 PM
You're right, but honestly, I do feel open anyways, though I basically never practice it. Haha, pretty much only by accident.

Evil_Meat
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
prob with the shoulder roll is yes u can block with the right glove but often ull try to block the hook and they'll just come through with a straight punch, or they feint a straight punch that u try and swat away and get hit with a hook to the side. Ive been able to roll away from the right hands well though.

potatoes
03-13-2007, 01:31 PM

Look at the pix. There is no chance of Louis or toney getting hit with the lefthook. The oldtimers would say weave in, roll out. If you do it right you don't get hit.

kayjay
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Look at the pix. There is no chance of Louis or toney getting hit with the lefthook. The oldtimers would say weave in, roll out. If you do it right you don't get hit.

But it is natural for your right hand to lower when you roll. Is it just that at that moment you're out of range for the hook?

shawn_
03-13-2007, 01:51 PM
the problem with the shoulder roll is you have to be incredibly athleticly gifted to execute it without getting hit.

Most people that try it end up getting destroyed.

potatoes
03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
the problem with the shoulder roll is you have to be incredibly athleticly gifted to execute it without getting hit.

Most people that try it end up getting destroyed.

Fat little nerdy-boys might have a problem with should rolls, but then they have a problem with any kind of sporting activity. Any normal guy can learn basic boxing skills and that includes shoulder rolls.

shawn_
03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Id also like to add in that Floyd Mayweather does not use a shoulder roll very well. For the most part I think he uses the shoulder defense because it alows him to see better. Floyd mainly relys on foot movment and normal sliping. He does more of a Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker "Im to fast for you to hit me" defense but in a shoulder roll position.

James Toney is a master of the shoulder roll. If you want to see it executed, watch him fight. He stands right in front of you and you cant hit him. It really is a treat to watch.

Gemini531
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Id also like to add in that Floyd Mayweather does not use a shoulder roll very well. For the most part I think he uses the shoulder defense because it alows him to see better. Floyd mainly relys on foot movment and normal sliping. He does more of a Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker "Im to fast for you to hit me" defense but in a shoulder roll position.

James Toney is a master of the shoulder roll. If you want to see it executed, watch him fight. He stands right in front of you and you cant hit him. It really is a treat to watch.

I agree he is the master of the shoulder roll!!

BrooklynBomber
03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Shoulder roll is overrated, it takes too many miliseconds of a precious counter attack time. And at some point, if you do it too often, your opponent will just beat the **** out of your shoulder to the point where you cant lift your hand up. I rarely ever did it and if I did, it was to 'jump' out from an angle, because rolling in with a punch basically put my body into a position to do so.
I relied much more on basic head movement and attacking from different angles and limiting my opponents attack space.

Phunky Villian
03-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Yeah floyd is class at it too, but i give toney more credit due to his size. He moves those shoulders very well for a big guy.

yeah man, shoulder rolls are great for counter punching... love them.
peace.

DA1CATAS
03-16-2007, 10:06 AM

lol.... ARE YOU SERIOUS... do you even box... look at those pictures again and tell me a left hook couldnt land?

Yea toney might slip it... but your saying no chance of them getting hit with a left hook...

LOOK AT THE PICTURES.. LEFT HOOK is probaly what both opponents of the legends are thinking.

potatoes
03-16-2007, 02:04 PM
lol.... ARE YOU SERIOUS... do you even box... look at those pictures again and tell me a left hook couldnt land?

Yea toney might slip it... but your saying no chance of them getting hit with a left hook...

LOOK AT THE PICTURES.. LEFT HOOK is probaly what both opponents of the legends are thinking.

Doesn't matter who is thinking about the lefthook, the postion is wrong and the momentum is in favour of Louis and Toney. Both Louis and Toney are clearly able to throw the counter-right LONG before they are in any danger from a lefthook. The only danger is if they just stand there.