View Full Version : Thaxton Sends a Warning To Amir Khan

BIGPOPPAPUMP
03-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Jon Thaxton has warned Amir Khan that he is a long way from challenging for his British Lightweight Title. [details (http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=7740)]

adietheforestfa
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Jon Thaxton has warned Amir Khan that he is a long way from challenging for his British Lightweight Title. [details (http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=7740)]

Amir Khan would Whup Thaxton. Thaxton would not be able to live with Khans quality.

The Monk
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Amir Khan would Whup Thaxton. Thaxton would not be able to live with Khans quality.

I dunno about that. I like Thaxton, he is a strong british champ. I think Khan would win but he will have to fight every second of every round. Cant see him ko'ing Thaxton.

Hard Chaw
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I think it be very tight if they frought now. Personally dont think amir kahn is ready for this fight yet, but when he's had a bit more experience he should spank his ass.

beecherhq
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I really like thaxton but amir is gonna **** him up at any poiint in the near future!

ophqui
03-13-2007, 07:14 AM
what? to quote John McEnroe you cannot be serious!
I honestly cant see Kahn beating Thaxton in the near future if ever. Thaxton is a man. he's been the distance with hatton and beaten real British title contenders like meager. Who has amir khan beaten? he's a boy. a talented boy, but just a boy. He'd be totally outmuscled by Jono if they fought any time in the next year or two.

Experience + strength > 'class'

rooq
03-13-2007, 04:27 PM
what? to quote John McEnroe you cannot be serious!
I honestly cant see Kahn beating Thaxton in the near future if ever. Thaxton is a man. he's been the distance with hatton and beaten real British title contenders like meager. Who has amir khan beaten? he's a boy. a talented boy, but just a boy. He'd be totally outmuscled by Jono if they fought any time in the next year or two.

Experience + strength > 'class'

i'd almost agree with you...but we won't know how khan will do until he's been in with a solid lightweight.

thaxton would give khan a lot more trouble than Drilzane, but on the other hand he cuts really easily so khan could possibly score a tko. and then we have the unknown strength of khan's chin with thaxton being a bigger puncher than any of khan's opponents.

i'd say if they fought now, khan would just be too green. If they fought after khan's had 3 - 4 more fights with each fight a genuine step up from the last, then khan should have enough ability to take thaxton out.

lazy
03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
If I had to I'd bet on an Amir points win dunno if he'd ko Thaxton , maybe in a year (I sound like Frank Warren)

adietheforestfa
03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
I dunno about that. I like Thaxton, he is a strong british champ. I think Khan would win but he will have to fight every second of every round. Cant see him ko'ing Thaxton.

I like Thaxton too but he is not in the same class as Khan. I think Khan would run rings round him.

col Blake
03-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I think there is real question mark about Amir Khan s chin, his people know he cant take a punch, that is why non of his opponents have any K.O.s of note on their stats, the are all very light punchers, He may be far superior technically that Thaxton but with a weak chin which I think he has Thaxton would beat him in a 12 round contest, Khan could not run away for the full fight which is what he would have to do to stand any chance of winning, he will avoid domestic fighters like Thaxton similar to Audley Harrison and try and make as much money as he can before he is exposed like scumbag Nazeem Hamed.

adietheforestfa
03-17-2007, 07:57 PM
I think there is real question mark about Amir Khan s chin, his people know he cant take a punch, that is why non of his opponents have any K.O.s of note on their stats, the are all very light punchers, He may be far superior technically that Thaxton but with a weak chin which I think he has Thaxton would beat him in a 12 round contest, Khan could not run away for the full fight which is what he would have to do to stand any chance of winning, he will avoid domestic fighters like Thaxton similar to Audley Harrison and try and make as much money as he can before he is exposed like scumbag Nazeem Hamed.

Much as i like Thaxton, Khan is in a different class. IMO Khan wins inside 6 rounds.

rooq
03-18-2007, 05:50 PM
i think watching thaxtons fight on friday has changed my opinion a little about a khan - thaxton matchup...

although i thought thaxton won pretty convincingly on friday, there were times when he looked to be struggling with the height/reach disadvantage. khan is a similiar size to lawton but is much faster and more skillful and i reckon if he could keep his chin out of the way he could ud thaxton....thats assuming he has the stamina to go 12 rounds.

if khan can get a 12-rounder in first, i think he can give thaxton a good fight.

infestacide
03-18-2007, 06:45 PM
i wanna see khan fight the guy in my avatar. I really dont know how good this khan is, but if he can beat katsidis then i'd most likely be impressed.

The Monk
03-18-2007, 09:19 PM
i wanna see khan fight the guy in my avatar. I really dont know how good this khan is, but if he can beat katsidis then i'd most likely be impressed.

There is a few of Khan's fights on youtube and on the itv website if you wanna have a good look at him. A fight with Katsidis may be waiting in the future, and can see it being for a world title. I rate both fighters very highly so would be a fight i'd love to see.

me2007
03-19-2007, 01:28 PM

I dont think thats very fair. No promoter in their right mind puts a novice professional, irrespective of talent/potential, in with a known KO artist, it is commercial and business suicide.

I dont think Hamed was exposed, his body had just gone past its peak and his once sharp skills had become blunted by time and indulgence.

col Blake
03-21-2007, 07:23 AM
I dont think thats very fair. No promoter in their right mind puts a novice professional, irrespective of talent/potential, in with a known KO artist, it is commercial and business suicide.

I dont think Hamed was exposed, his body had just gone past its peak and his once sharp skills had become blunted by time and indulgence.
Surely if WANK Warren and Amir reckon on a world title shot at the end of 2007 he would be ready for domestic title now, or is Warren going to kid the British public and hand pick easy fights for Amir including a Mickey mouse title (WBO WBU WBF IBO) then take him on easy street for 7 years like Joe calzaghe before he gets soundly beaten e.g. Hamed Vs Marco Antonio Barrera.

me2007
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
i dont think khan will have a world title in the next 9 months - Khan will get ktfo if Warren put him in with a legitimate world champion....

rooq
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Surely if WANK Warren and Amir reckon on a world title shot at the end of 2007 he would be ready for domestic title now, or is Warren going to kid the British public and hand pick easy fights for Amir including a Mickey mouse title (WBO WBU WBF IBO) then take him on easy street for 7 years like Joe calzaghe before he gets soundly beaten e.g. Hamed Vs Marco Antonio Barrera.

to win the wbo title he'd have to fight freitas or diaz. not really an easy fight. the wbu and wbf titles are probably vacant, but i've got the feeling in this case warren won't insult our intelligence by getting khan to fight for one of those titles....even the itv commentators say "wbu" with a sneer.

anyway, khans the one who keeps going on about getting a world title shot. warren wants him to be ready for a domestic title by the end of 2007, which means he will have to fight thaxton or limmond. my guess is the latter.

JuanDan
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
There is a few of Khan's fights on youtube and on the itv website if you wanna have a good look at him. A fight with Katsidis may be waiting in the future, and can see it being for a world title. I rate both fighters very highly so would be a fight i'd love to see.

Amir khan is just another Audley Harrison, a good amateur, As a pro he's going no where, A world title in 12 month in your dreams, Jon Thaxton would murder him or any top british lightweight, he's fighting smaller guy's all the time, guy's coming up a weight to fight him, sadly he's starting to believe in his own hype. he can't take a punch and he hasn't got a punch

adamk1304
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
The hate for khan on this board is unbelieveable.

dunster
03-21-2007, 09:22 PM
i dont like khan, i just think he was the right person at the right time to become britains poster boy for boxing and thats all he will ever be. he isnt a world champ in my eyes, sorry

Franko
03-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Amir khan is just another Audley Harrison, a good amateur, As a pro he's going no where, A world title in 12 month in your dreams, Jon Thaxton would murder him or any top british lightweight, he's fighting smaller guy's all the time, guy's coming up a weight to fight him, sadly he's starting to believe in his own hype. he can't take a punch and he hasn't got a punch

I think it's early days to be criticising Khan too much. We'll see what the guy is made of when he goes in with tougher opponents.
Personally, i think that Khan is extremely talented, but i'd put him in with a few more tough opponents before a fight with Thaxton.

JuanDan
03-23-2007, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=col Blake;2226399]I think there is real question mark about Amir Khan s chin, his people know he cant take a punch, that is why non of his opponents have any K.O.s of note on their stats, the are all very light punchers, He may be far superior technically that Thaxton but with a weak chin which I think he has Thaxton would beat him in a 12 round contest, Khan could not run away for the full fight which is what he would have to do to stand any chance of winning, he will avoid domestic fighters like Thaxton similar to Audley Harrison and try and make as much money as he can before he is exposed like scumbag Nazeem Hamed.[/QUOI

I couldn't agree with you more, Amir Khan is just another Audley Harrison a good amateur. and all hype, Jon Thaxton would murder him, or any top british lightweight, warren will try and make as much as he can out of him, thats why he won't put him in with a top british lightweight and to hear khan talking about world titles well its laughable

.Mik.
03-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, you've already said that.

Khan is a great up-and-coming fighter with a huge amount of potential. Get used to the fact.

adietheforestfa
03-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, you've already said that.

Khan is a great up-and-coming fighter with a huge amount of potential. Get used to the fact.

Hey, I agree with you on this one.