View Full Version : School or Boxing?

KanMan
03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey everyone, im 16 years old and ive been boxing for a year now. Ive got good skills and i take boxing seriously. this whole time ive been boxing my school grades has been going down gradually. its like all i can think about is boxing, boxing, and more boxing. no one in my family wants me to box anymore and they want me to continue my education. all i really want to do right now is box. but i want to make my parents proud. And ppl have always been tellin me, "balance your time, balance your time" and im at the point where i dont want to deal with school anymore. so does any one have some advise for me. anything at all. im really stuck.

boxing4ever
03-06-2007, 09:16 PM
i understand but i might sound like your parents but im 16 too and think about this all these years from 10th grade count! and i mean it they count if you want to get into a good college dont risk it man spend more time making sure your grades are up than training because training is 50/50 u dont know if your goona live off of it for sure but a good education will almost gurantee you a good living if you study and do good

Verstyle
03-06-2007, 09:19 PM
u better be a power puncher with a **** load of speed then and great defense. cause your 16,a least finish high school first.

canrus123
03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I doubt that it's the boxing that's negatively affecting you. I think you're just lazy and don't want to study. I box, workout at home, and workout at school(in the mornings) and my marks are good. It's tough but you HAVE to study and get good grades. School isn't hard. If you just PAY ATTENTION in class and take notes and not do any hmwk you'll still do very well. Just try to pay attention in class.

NewbieRJJ
03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I doubt that it's the boxing that's negatively affecting you. I think you're just lazy and don't want to study. I box, workout at home, and workout at school(in the mornings) and my marks are good. It's tough but you HAVE to study and get good grades. School isn't hard. If you just PAY ATTENTION in class and take notes and not do any hmwk you'll still do very well. Just try to pay attention in class.

Im with him

KanMan
03-06-2007, 09:38 PM

you know what, your right man i really dont want to do it and i am lazy when it comes to school work. ive built this pattern where i dont give a damn and now it go to me. and your right the material isnt hard its all mainly bull. when im paying attension in class im liek, wow thats some easy ****. so yeah thanks for the advise.

1_Punch_KO
03-06-2007, 09:41 PM
education comes first...for me atleast

im not saying hard work and dedication wont get you anywhere...but strive to be something like a doctor or a lawyer before thinking of becoming a pro boxer

Southpaw Stinger
03-06-2007, 09:44 PM
School should come first trust me. I dropped out of college to spend more time in the gym and I'm regretting it now cos money is harsh..

Rockin'
03-06-2007, 10:01 PM
sta in skuoll!!!!..............Rockin':boxing:

Exige Jr
03-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Exactly, balance your time.

I did both, turned into a good fighter and got accepted to a decent set of universities in September. I'm 18 at the moment. Its possible to do...

Chewcan
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Think you have it rough now, wait till you start finding the ladies good looking!

kNIVEK2
03-06-2007, 11:22 PM
yea you should try to do well in school. for me, i would prob think of training around 2 and a half hours a day, since i dont box yet. im guessing most of you spend around this much time and that isnt very much considering you have 24 hours a day. then i would spend time with my tutor and doing hw n stuff. i wanna be a pro boxer but go to a good college too, cause i wanna have a good career after boxing.

fraidycat
03-07-2007, 01:08 AM
you know what, your right man i really dont want to do it and i am lazy when it comes to school work. ive built this pattern where i dont give a damn and now it go to me. and your right the material isnt hard its all mainly bull. when im paying attension in class im liek, wow thats some easy ****. so yeah thanks for the advise.

School should be EASY compared to boxing. Nothing in school hurts.

Check around and see what colleges have good boxing teams. Or look into a college in a big boxing town -- Philly or Chicago or New York. Get your grades up and use school as a way to get better experience if boxing is what you want to do.

Something to think about: having booksmarts and a solid education will help you in your career if you decide to box professionally. You'd have a real advantage over the guys who can't even read their own contracts. Plus, even if you make it and become somebody's million dollar baby, you'll need to know what to do with your money. Get a business degree, train like a mother****er when you're in school, go pro after you graduate, and start your own business with your winnings. There are half a dozen guys in my gym who are in college, three of them are on the gym's competitive team and fight in the amateurs.

Southpaw16
03-07-2007, 01:45 AM
This is simple. Your sixteen, but before you know it you'll be out of your parents house and have to start putting bread on the table.

Out of people who box, very few boxers end up being professionals, and out of the professionals, very very few of them are actually able to make a living out of it. Even if you were able to one day turn pro, if you are good you might be able to make $5000 a year eventually. That is not a typo, I don't mean $50000, I mean $5000. There are about 100 boxers in the world who actually make real money.

In conclusion: no school = no bread

You can box and and go to school and maintain good grades, but you have to be willing to allow your social life to suffer.

eazy_mas
03-07-2007, 02:13 AM
Hey everyone, im 16 years old and ive been boxing for a year now. Ive got good skills and i take boxing seriously. this whole time ive been boxing my school grades has been going down gradually. its like all i can think about is boxing, boxing, and more boxing. no one in my family wants me to box anymore and they want me to continue my education. all i really want to do right now is box. but i want to make my parents proud. And ppl have always been tellin me, "balance your time, balance your time" and im at the point where i dont want to deal with school anymore. so does any one have some advise for me. anything at all. im really stuck.

well that is easy question i would choose school because boxing is temoprey. but you education and knowlege is something that could be use for you in your whole life.

my advice for you if you going to take boxing you gotta scarfice watching the TV and other stuff it kinda like economic if you use your time in one thing you gotta you dont do the other.

as well as boxing is a good way to develop you charachter and chrisma that could help you in school too

School should be EASY compared to boxing. Nothing in school hurts.

Check around and see what colleges have good boxing teams. Or look into a college in a big boxing town -- Philly or Chicago or New York. Get your grades up and use school as a way to get better experience if boxing is what you want to do.

Something to think about: having booksmarts and a solid education will help you in your career if you decide to box professionally. You'd have a real advantage over the guys who can't even read their own contracts. Plus, even if you make it and become somebody's million dollar baby, you'll need to know what to do with your money. Get a business degree, train like a mother****er when you're in school, go pro after you graduate, and start your own business with your winnings. There are half a dozen guys in my gym who are in college, three of them are on the gym's competitive team and fight in the amateurs.

iyou are right there is more possiable for you to got to the elite ivy league college than become a superstar boxer that everybody recognizes

phillies04
03-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Just think about this what if you ended up getting seriously injured and couldn't box anymore what would you fall back on?

potatoes
03-07-2007, 11:28 AM

If you really are getting good at boxing your concentration will be improving. If your concentration is improving so will your ability to learn new things. There is no reason for your grades to be deteriorating. The Klitschko brothers pursued bother education and boxing at the same time. Of course their situation was ideal, you may not be lucky enough to have that option. Nevertheless, boxing should never be an obstacle.

D-M
03-09-2007, 07:07 PM
im 16 too and i stopped school 2 month ago school is for looser
boxing > school:boxing:

McAlister
03-09-2007, 07:32 PM
If you dont see ur self going to college, and you want to box as a career.. then hell just get a ged and start boxing.... master your craft

you only get out what you put in, and if you put in full time boxing, it will pay off in the long run.....

but your education is important as well, if boxing plans fall thru

so just think about it, and decide what you want to do

Bear4228
03-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Your 16, atleast finish high school. A real diploma looks better than a GED. Boxing is awesome, if you think your good, then continue to learn more about it. Nothing comes fast in anything anyone does (excluding the lotto lol). So, finsih school, decide if you wanna go to college and in that time keep on boxing. There is absolutely no reason what so ever you can't do both. You said yourself your lazy when it comes to school work...hell who wasn't at 16 lol. This is just my opinion, your to young to even need to be worrying bout not doin school. Worry bout that when you can acutally make that decision, that means college. Do what your doin and do good at it. You'd be suprised what happens when you put as much effort as you do into boxing...into school.

Bear4228
03-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Think you have it rough now, wait till you start finding the ladies good looking!

Pretty sure at 16....I think he does :P

phallus
03-10-2007, 01:46 AM
stay in school kid, boxing only lasts til you're 35 or so, if you're lucky. most guys careers end a lot sooner, u'll need something to do with the rest of your life

Undefeated
03-10-2007, 01:52 AM
I felt the same way. Stay in school and graduate while you can. You will regret it. Look at Juan Diaz. I like that kid. He's is boxing, he's is undefeated and he is on his way to get a degree and what else? He is very young. You could do both. That's what ima be doing real soon. Im in college though. After school im hitting that gym then going home. Hopefully get a job real soon, but once the job comes.. WOOOOoo it's going to hard! Ima have to decide what to do.

Stay in school! You can do both ma dude. You're not trying hard enough.

sonny foreman
03-10-2007, 07:34 AM
My advice would be to leave school and take boxing more seriously. To be honest there are more people out there making a living from boxing than there are accountants and lawyers etc.
You probably wont be very good at school anyway and the janitor will just bully you. Once again take up boxing.
If you are female then you should be in the kitchen anyway so what does it matter?

Trick
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Stay focused and do both. I'm at university doing an honours in cell and developmental biology, and including travelling time, I probably spend about 5 hours on boxing a day. If you stay focused, you can do both.