View Full Version : do you guys fall in your opponents range to much?

Verstyle
03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I tend to go in there range alittle to much i've seen,reason why I gotta do so much defense on the inside.I think jabbing outside and they come in with a combo after the jab and getting back out of range is a great idea.

Any of you guys have that same problem,like you cant distance yourself properly? bit habit to break

Trick
03-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm 6 feet, 150, so I'm on the opposite end. I find people who throw a good, quick head,body,head combo as the move to the inside tend to pose a problem to me. I find I can outjab them when they try to jab comin' inside, but if they pull of a good combo, I find myself in trouble

Peace,
Trick

-GBGQ-
03-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Def too much.

With my height and reach I should be untouchable always, from what I've been told.

But too may times when I have my opponent covering up I'll get too caught up into it and move into their range.

I should be able to just sit outside and bomb away but I like my left hook as tight as possible.

Exige Jr
03-06-2007, 04:14 AM
No the opposite, im the fighter that 9 times out 10 is the one who has opponents falling into range for me.

Its just the style of fight that you choose to do on someone. My style is to make them miss and counter straight after... so i'm always slightly in range (to draw the shot), then completely out of range, then back in my own range between attacks to hit them.

Its natural that as an inside fighter you would fall into your opponents range... its just the ability to not telegraph your movements and also to avoid shots when you are there which is gonna set you apart from the people who get hit and the people who dont.

Scottie2Hottie
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
No the opposite, im the fighter that 9 times out 10 is the one who has opponents falling into range for me.

Its just the style of fight that you choose to do on someone. My style is to make them miss and counter straight after... so i'm always slightly in range (to draw the shot), then completely out of range, then back in my own range between attacks to hit them.

Its natural that as an inside fighter you would fall into your opponents range... its just the ability to not telegraph your movements and also to avoid shots when you are there which is gonna set you apart from the people who get hit and the people who dont.

word.

personally, i was always taught to stay within that bubble of range, but at an angle on the outside that makes it impossible for them to hit you with a decent punch.

Exige Jr
03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
word.

personally, i was always taught to stay within that bubble of range, but at an angle on the outside that makes it impossible for them to hit you with a decent punch.
Hell yes, I love throwing people off with angles. All it takes is a sidestep and their whole walk forward attack has just missed... most of the time. Or do it as you are pressuring them. Come at them and then boom! a quick switch to the right and they have to readjust but then the shots have already landed. Confuses the **** out of people.

fraidycat
03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
A guy at my gym refers to sparring me as, "A fistfight in a phone booth." I get my mail inside my opponent's range. There's nothing as satisfying as having a guy hook your head point-blank and miss.

I'm constantly experimenting with staying inside as long as I can; slipping far to the outside -- like, past their elbows -- once I'm inside, and throwing short hooks and uppercuts and seeing how long I can avoid taking that punch that makes me want to get back out of range. :owned: Usually I get nailed when I start to get tired; all that dodging and weaving wears me out fast.

I was getting creamed trying to stay inside while remaining in a traditional stance. I've found that the key to staying inside longer (for me, being short-legged) is to bring my trailing leg UP into a nearly-square stance when I get inside. I make that part of my footwork when I move in. This gives me easy lateral movement once I'm in there and I can literally dodge and weave circles around him.

I throw short hooks, shovelhooks, and uppercuts with lots of torque and usually using the momentum from slipping and weaving to drive the punches. I throw very few straights when I'm in that close; the occasional overhand if he breaks free and runs for range.

I think that using your momentum from an active defense to deliver the punches helps give the illusion of speed; speed, IMO, is very much a function of perception. If he's trying to track your dodging and slipping, he may not recognize that that slip to the outside is pulling a hook that's going to come through the hole he just left when he missed you.

Also, I've found that I (and probably my opponent) lose my visual cues because of the headgear when I'm in that close, so I have to rely on my other senses, much the way that blind men develop exceptional hearing and touch. Keeping a shoulder, a glove, or even a leg against him will help you perceive where he's going; you can feel his body move and you'll have some idea of what he's going to do next.

Take a step back and you've opened the gap to jab range and you're now in a more traditional stance where you can really work the jab; a long step or quick shuffle back puts you at long attacking distance where you can catch your breath and give him a moment to contemplate the errors of his ways. :boxing: Vers, I'm sure you know all this already.

Anyway. This is what I've been working on. I hope to have it really together for our next smoker in June.

Verstyle
03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
jesse james leija is was working with me today,with the range issue.It's working out pretty good.:)

McAlister
03-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah I co-sign

fraidycat
03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
jesse james leija is was working with me today,with the range issue.It's working out pretty good.:)

Please share with the rest of the class. . . .:grouphug:

Verstyle
03-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Please share with the rest of the class. . . .:grouphug:

just the obvious,step jab,slow down,and wait til get in.

fraidycat
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Lesson from last night: Don't try to fight inside on someone shorter than you. I'm so used to fighting taller guys that I just instinctively went inside on a guy who was slightly shorter and about 40 lbs. heavier than me. I got the crap beaten out of me before I even realized why it wasn't working. :owned:

I'm still a noob in so many ways. . ..

Rockin'
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I walk right into their range and keep on rollin forward. When I keep coming, they will not be able to hide forever their "comfort zone". In short time Ive read it and its slip and counter, feint-roll and shoot...............Rockin':boxing:

potatoes
03-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I tend to go in there range alittle to much i've seen,reason why I gotta do so much defense on the inside.I think jabbing outside and they come in with a combo after the jab and getting back out of range is a great idea.

Any of you guys have that same problem,like you cant distance yourself properly? bit habit to break

Don't worry about range, just get inside and hit the bastard!

Verstyle
03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Don't worry about range, just get inside and hit the bastard!

yeah that sounds good. but i need to set myself when punching alot of the times.

SquareCircle
03-09-2007, 10:59 AM
when im sparring someone totally new I'll cover up and not throw a single punch until the last 30 second buzzer rings. i usually control range either by advancing with a guard in front of my face and then putting my earmuffs on when I get in close, while moving my head from side to side to avoid uppercuts. ill let em tee off on me if they want, cuz my body is like a rock. you can hit me with body shots and I aint goin anywhere. I honestly love to get hit in the body as weird as that sounds. I will let the best puncher at my gym just tee off on my body while I walk forward on a friday after we do the medicine ball punch resistance exercises. I figure, this guy's just helping me get solid lookin' abs, so **** it. I give up my body and defend my face, take a few body shots.

when that last 30 second buzzer comes, I throw as hard as I can muster. because the guy is already sort of tired from throwing his best shots and hitting glove, so his power is reduced. plus he's winded at this point. thats when I'm incinuating the clinch, pushing him off, then jumping up to him as he's backing away and unloading with hooks. i might step in with a jab after pushing someone outta a clinch. but I try to land at least 15-20 power shots in the last 30 seconds of a round when I'm sparring a new guy, and I never throw a single blow until that 30 second buzzer comes. as a result my defense has improved dramatically.

potatoes
03-09-2007, 02:35 PM
yeah that sounds good. but i need to set myself when punching alot of the times.

Do you think that guy in front of you is just going to stand there and let you find your optimum range? Stick-and-move boxers are going to do just that. What you have to do is cut off the ring, force him into the ropes, get inside and hit him. Sluggers need to be flat-footed at all times so that when you move you are just changing one stable position for the next. All of these things take a fair amount of practise, but then that is what you are training for.