View Full Version : I'm now trained by Ron Lipton

Mr. Ryan
03-03-2007, 03:29 PM
You may know Ron Lipton from various outlets. He was a celebrated referee who did fights like Roy Jones-Bryant Brannon, Holyfield-Mercer, De La Hoya-Leija, and Prince Charles Williams-Merqui Sosa. Or you might know him as the boxing historian from Cyberboxingzone.com . Well, I know him now as Coach.

I walked into Snoop's Boxing Gym on Main Street in Poughkeepsie simply looking for sparring and left with a membership and a new source of boxing knowledge to leech off of. The man has been around the sport FOREVER and at 60 years old is still many times scarier than me. I plan on doing MANY more historical pieces and other kinds of boxing stuff with this man. I think I struck gold with my new coach.

Mr. Ryan
03-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Here he is counting out Ruddock against Tommy Morrison.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Media/Lipton_big.jpg

Bendigo
03-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Sounds sweet man. I'm sure it's invaluable to you as not only a boxing enthusiast but also an adept writer. Good luck!

Mr. Ryan
03-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Sounds sweet man. I'm sure it's invaluable to you as not only a boxing enthusiast but also an adept writer. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I'm going to do an article on him definitely. The man is a boxing knowledge gold mine. Here he is at 54, 6 years ago. Ehh, I could beat him.

http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/lipton/pix/lipton2001.jpg

Kid Achilles
03-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Ron Lipton is one of the coolest guys around. He really knows his stuff when it comes to the old guys, and yet is very progressive in his thinking in regards to weight training. I don't know him personally but I've talked to him on cyberboxingzone for years.

mgkirkpatrick
03-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah, I'm going to do an article on him definitely. The man is a boxing knowledge gold mine. Here he is at 54, 6 years ago. Ehh, I could beat him.

http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/lipton/pix/lipton2001.jpg

thats some stallone **** right there. sounds good mate hope it works out for you. where u at with your boxing n e ways? planning to get back in the ring?

Mr. Ryan
03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
thats some stallone **** right there. sounds good mate hope it works out for you. where u at with your boxing n e ways? planning to get back in the ring?

I want to fight next month, and I'm very excited. I sparred last week for the first time in some while and am very sharp still.

Achilles, for real Lipton is the real deal. They have alot of weights in the gym and machines, which was a positive for me.

Mr. Ryan
03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Today was my first day back in the gym with Coach Lipton, and it was alot of fun. I haven't been in a boxing gym since August, but he told me that he was very impressed with my speed and my punching power. My weight was an inexcusable 163, and he wants to get me down to 139. Hopefully, I'll be fighting by next month.

He also showed me his own weight program he designed himself designed especially for boxing. Among the dudes training with me is Kenny Craven, who beat Butterbean and fought Calvin Brock.

Trick
03-05-2007, 06:24 PM
geez, from 163 to 139? I donno man, how tall are you?

P.S. Lipton looks like an absolute badass

Mr. Ryan
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
geez, from 163 to 139? I donno man, how tall are you?

P.S. Lipton looks like an absolute badass

I'm 5'6. Believe me, I can do it. I have a real boxing ****ed up body. I can do all these weird things with moving around weights and ****.

Dye
03-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Asian, can you lose 15 lbs in 1 week without doing anything? that **** just happend to me, i got a Ravelo 8 pack almost from doing NOTHING. weird, i know its not healthy but damn

Gio
03-06-2007, 12:49 AM
He also showed me his own weight program he designed himself designed especially for boxing.

Asian, can you tell me more about this program? I want to hear what the man has to say. Thanks man.

sammikjo
03-07-2007, 01:42 AM
I'd be interested in this too, hell can you post the whole regimen he has you on?

potatoes
03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Today was my first day back in the gym with Coach Lipton, and it was alot of fun. I haven't been in a boxing gym since August, but he told me that he was very impressed with my speed and my punching power. My weight was an inexcusable 163, and he wants to get me down to 139. Hopefully, I'll be fighting by next month.

He also showed me his own weight program he designed himself designed especially for boxing. Among the dudes training with me is Kenny Craven, who beat Butterbean and fought Calvin Brock.

Rapid weight loss is certainly possible, boxers do it all the time. The science clearly shows that it is not healthy and diminishes performance. The best idea is to have a disciplined lifestyle and do not allow your weight to fluctuate. A man can not stay at 100% fitness for more than a few days, but 95% can be retained for many weeks. If you wish to excel in amateur boxing, adjust your lifestyle accordingly. Remember as a journalist you will be commenting fitness and performance on a regular basis because these are two big isssues in boxing. It is best that you avoid being seen as a hypocrite.

Mr. Ryan
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Rapid weight loss is certainly possible, boxers do it all the time. The science clearly shows that it is not healthy and diminishes performance. The best idea is to have a disciplined lifestyle and do not allow your weight to fluctuate. A man can not stay at 100% fitness for more than a few days, but 95% can be retained for many weeks. If you wish to excel in amateur boxing, adjust your lifestyle accordingly. Remember as a journalist you will be commenting fitness and performance on a regular basis because these are two big isssues in boxing. It is best that you avoid being seen as a hypocrite.

Michael Katz and Dan Rafael look more like Greek Diner owners than Greek Gods. They must be hyprocrites???

To write about the sport, you don't need to be in great shape. However, I wish to be cuz I'm 19 and I love the ladies and they love me back. That's why I gotta look as pretty as I talk.

Mr. Ryan
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
I'd be interested in this too, hell can you post the whole regimen he has you on?

I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I know he's big on the Bowflex machine, I use it everyday now. His whole point is lower weights, I use 25 pounds, and higher reps. When he shows me the whole thing, I'll hook it up. But first and foremost is the boxing, you gotta have the skills.

PunchDrunk
03-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Michael Katz and Dan Rafael look more like Greek Diner owners than Greek Gods. They must be hyprocrites???

To write about the sport, you don't need to be in great shape. However, I wish to be cuz I'm 19 and I love the ladies and they love me back. That's why I gotta look as pretty as I talk.

I'd respect you a million times more than those two, if you've walked the walk AND have the ability to express yourself in a journalistic fashion.

Mr. Ryan
03-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I'd respect you a million times more than those two, if you've walked the walk AND have the ability to express yourself in a journalistic fashion.

Let me tell you, I'm going to walk the walk next month when I fight a well-regarded professional prospect to be named. I'm attending his next fight in New York this month and on that date we're going to set everything up. My coach said that there is no reason why I wouldn't be able to compete with the guy.

Kid Achilles
03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Ron is not the kind of guy to bull**** you. If he has confidence in you, you really have some potential as a fighter Ryan.

Mr. Ryan
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Ron is not the kind of guy to bull**** you. If he has confidence in you, you really have some potential as a fighter Ryan.

He told me that I'm gonna win the Golden Gloves....but not at 163. The man is both a great trainer and an excellent motivator. He's bringing alot of good stuff out of me.

potatoes
03-08-2007, 10:53 PM

It doesn't matter what the other guys are doing, it matters what you are doing. To make it as a journalist you must call attention to yourself. In today's world it is the journalist himself who is 50% of the story. If you ever want to make disparaging comments about James Toney's fitness (and well you should) it would not be a good idea to look like him. What you do with your little-dickie is your business, but common sense should tell you to be discreet about it.

Tyrone316
03-08-2007, 11:36 PM
The biggest fight he did was the infamous one at Millstreet.

And he was paid to screw Christophson. The guy is dirt.

Mr. Ryan
03-09-2007, 10:20 AM
The biggest fight he did was the infamous one at Millstreet.

And he was paid to screw Christophson. The guy is dirt.

You know what, I'm going to ask him about that fight.

Mr. Ryan
03-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I got the best compliment ever today by coach Lipton. He told me that he was used to seeing guys like Hurricane Carter, Muhammad Ali, Emmile Griffith, and the such hitting the bag down at Solar Gym, so he doesn't get excited when he sees a guy hitting the bag well. But that he thinks with my speed and power that I have something really going for me and that at only 19 and with my years in the gym, that I could be something special. He said that hes seen my style be very effective in the amateur system, the in-and-out style with combos and turning over power shots after the pivots. I'm very happy training with this dude cuz he knows what hes talking about.

kayjay
03-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Potatoes said you have a little 'dickie'.

Mr. Ryan
03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Potatoes said you have a little 'dickie'.

The chick who told him so was probably just upset cuz I left her high and dry.

Todo bajo control

potatoes
03-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I got the best compliment ever today by coach Lipton. He told me that he was used to seeing guys like Hurricane Carter, Muhammad Ali, Emmile Griffith, and the such hitting the bag down at Solar Gym, so he doesn't get excited when he sees a guy hitting the bag well. But that he thinks with my speed and power that I have something really going for me and that at only 19 and with my years in the gym, that I could be something special. He said that hes seen my style be very effective in the amateur system, the in-and-out style with combos and turning over power shots after the pivots. I'm very happy training with this dude cuz he knows what hes talking about.

They all say things like that. It's not what they say that counts it is what they do. When the coach identifies the flaws in your style and finds ways to correct them, then you know he is taking you seriously. The worst way to learn about your flaws is to get somebody like Antonio Margarito to find them. If you don't believe me just ask Kermit Cintron!

Moschino045
03-17-2007, 11:48 AM
What did he say Asian *****

boxer2k5
03-17-2007, 06:06 PM
unless he gonna teach you how to make ice tea
it wont make a difference i will still trash you