Weight training and boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight training and boxing.

Hey all,
    New to boxing. Used to do a bit of gym work and was wondering if any kind of weight lifting is beneficial to boxing. Should i still train weights 2 times a wek or something? like full body workouts? if so wat kind of rep range? should i train endurance (15+ reps) or size and strength? (8-12). Also when shadow boxing, is using weights beneficial?

Full body, twice a week at the most. Not endurance (you do that in your boxing workouts, so doing it with weights as well is a waste of time, and you're better off not doing weights at all.), not size (8-12 is more size than strength). Strength, yes, but keep the rep range at 6 and below. Also, keep the total volume low. That way, you'll recover faster for the other training you'll need to do, and gaining size won't be a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by unsivilized View Post
      Hey all,
      New to boxing. Used to do a bit of gym work and was wondering if any kind of weight lifting is beneficial to boxing. Should i still train weights 2 times a wek or something? like full body workouts? if so wat kind of rep range? should i train endurance (15+ reps) or size and strength? (8-12). Also when shadow boxing, is using weights beneficial?
      SEARCH function. Learn it, know it, live it.

Comment

Originally posted by unsivilized View Post
        Hey all,

One of the most beneficial things to learn in boxing is how NOT to get hit. All the guys who pump iron claim they are getting stronger. Maybe it is true. However, if they can't hit you they can't hurt you. Have you noticed just how easy it is to hit boxers these days? That is an indication of the kind of training young men are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
          One of the most beneficial things to learn in boxing is how NOT to get hit. All the guys who pump iron claim they are getting stronger. Maybe it is true. However, if they can't hit you they can't hurt you. Have you noticed just how easy it is to hit boxers these days? That is an indication of the kind of training young men are getting.
          Again, use the SEARCH function and you'll see Potatoes and me -- and Potatoes and Punchdrunk, and Potatoes and Kingdosia, and Potatoes and every other guy who benefits from supplementing his boxing with weightlifting -- arguing about weight training. I'm not going to get into it, again. Everything you need to learn about what we know is already on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
            weight lifting has a place in training for boxing but it can make you stiff and tight if you overdo it; Bruno is a good example of this, he was slow and had little snap to his punches but his hands were made of iron!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hemichromis View Post
              weight lifting has a place in training for boxing but it can make you stiff and tight if you overdo it; Bruno is a good example of this, he was slow and had little snap to his punches but his hands were made of iron!!!

Yes, I remember body-beautiful Bruno. I also read his autobiography. He seems to be a likeable fellow. Too bad he didn't live up to his potential. Running out of gas against the fat Tim Witherspoon is an embarrassment that is hard to live down. I am not so sure you can blame weightlifting for Bruno's problems. It was probably just a lack of motivation.

Comment

Working...
              X