View Full Version : Video: A lil' bit of heavy bagging

Trick
02-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Hey guys,

Inspired by Animal, I decided to throw my own vid up here. Basically it's just me hittin the bag a lil' bit, I made this like right now. It's been a ****ty week, basically void of any training, so I figured I had to do something, this is just in the gym in my rez, not my boxing gym. It takes me an hour to get there, and it's not open at 1am, haha. Just a few things to note:
-The reason I didn't go to the gym today even was that I had a long... rough night out last night with my friends celebrating the end of the ****tiest academic week of our lives. Not makin' any exuses, just sayin' endurance was nowhere, so before you say it, I will: The hands, I know, they're down a lot.
-It's only a minute cause thats the longest my camera can record(also why there's no sound)
-That was the only place I could mount the camera, so usually I do go 360 around the bag, but I wanted to stay in frame, not to mention at the gym downstairs there's a wall in the way
-And ya, I must still be wasted, I was throwing my punches really low, I didn't even notice that until I watched it.
-The main reason I threw this up here was my jab. I've been working on getting my shoulder more into it, to get some power. Anyways it still feels slightly odd, and to me, looks a little odd. It's weird it feels both fast and slow, not to mention it seems a little teleraphed (although that's not my only "type" of jab, it's the one I was workin' on today. So comments/suggestions with that would be very much appreciated.

Haha, aritey, so with that in mind, any other comments would be really appreciated. Also, I'd never uploaded a vid before, if it's messed up, can someone explain to me how to do it? Thanks boys,

Peace,
Trick

P.S. Just saw that video thread, shoulda put it there. Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khMpGvhsgPs

FIGHTING_FLIP
02-24-2007, 03:23 AM
your jabs are to army..step in with it more and it kkinda looks like your jabbing while one foot is down and one foot is in the air..put more hip into hooks crosses and uppercuts..there all arm punches...and also your not extending your punches..you may have alittle bit more power in them if you kept your distance and find your range to extend them out more..and hands up! but pretty good tho you look pretty fast

Trick
02-24-2007, 03:32 AM
Do you mean when I was throwing them they're all arm punches? Ya, I've been working on the hip rotation, it's gotten better over the last few weeks. A few years ago, I destroyed my hip playin' soccer, not that it's an exuse now (just some occasional pain) but I think after that, I stopped really rotating my hip after it happend (when it was an exuse, it was pretty bad). Then I just developed that ****ty habit. I didn't even know at all until someone told me not too long ago. Ya, I do have trouble finding my range, especially on the bag for some reason... Against a guy it's a little better, but I really do wanna work on my range "awarness" as I'm a taller/faster/distance fighter. Anyways, that's for the feedback flip

Peace,
Trick

O, and that foot thing I think is happening cause I'm making a concious effort to throw my shoulder, also maybe why it's so army?

FIGHTING_FLIP
02-24-2007, 03:34 AM
yeh i got some trouble finding my range too..but you got long arms..use em

Bear4228
02-24-2007, 03:43 AM
I sure got alot of respect for people on here posting vids on themself boxing. Some are good some need some polishing but you gotta start somewhere :P You looked pretty clean keep it up! Work in progress just like everything else. Makes me wanna put one of me goin on the bag haha, show yall some southpaw love.

Trick
02-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I sure got alot of respect for people on here posting vids on themself boxing. Some are good some need some polishing but you gotta start somewhere :P You looked pretty clean keep it up! Work in progress just like everything else. Makes me wanna put one of me goin on the bag haha, show yall some southpaw love.

Go for it man, done of us here are in a postion to be putting vids up here to brag, we all need to work on some things.

Keep the feedback comin' guys, this is the first time I've seen myself on film. I really do have a problem with range on the bag for some reason, it's not such a problem in sparring, more bad habits...

Bear4228
02-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Ya here in about a week ima rip off my sisters camera from her place and out maybe a 1 min video clip up or something. Iv never been trained so...Im only going off what Iv been reading on here and some videos Iv seen. Iv made sure my jabs and hook are right though, I pretty much spend hours trying to perfect my shots. They are def. starting to feel more natural lol. I have one BIG problem though...I get gased so easy lol, it sucks :P

Darkstar
02-24-2007, 06:03 PM
No disreaspect bro, but picture that bag as your opponent. You couldnt be any more open for a hard left hook. But good work.

BmoreBrawler
02-24-2007, 06:31 PM
git ur hands up and the jab should be thrown up at eye level.

Trick
02-24-2007, 07:31 PM
ya, like I said, I was a little hung over and lazy, so the hands were not up. As for the range on my jab, I do really wanna work on that, it still doesn't feel right to me when I really get proper range on it, it feels weak, or slow or something, if that makes any sense. Any suggestions?

Peace,
Trick

HANDZ
03-10-2007, 11:45 PM
No offense but you seem to talk a great one on here when it comes to tips but what the hell was that ,you need alot of work :ugh:

Trick
03-11-2007, 05:28 AM
No offense but you seem to talk a great one on here when it comes to tips but what the hell was that ,you need alot of work :ugh:

We all need a lot of work man... I talk a great one? I've been through years of training on my own, and have got a lot to say, being on good ends of **** sometimes, and being on some bad **** too. Until January I didn't have a proper trainer cause I didn't have the money. Wanna throw down your own vid and show me how it's done? I've got a whole lot of bad habits that years of improper training and a hip injury do, and I'm workin' em' out, but I do fine in the ring. That's why I put that vid up. Got any advice? Or just that I need work... If I didn't, I wouldn't have put it up here. That was just a heavy bag vid man, I'm not so good on the bag I find, and was lookin' for advice. You hit like Frazier? Prove it man, or tell me something I don't know, other than I need work...

Take McAlister as an example, he was throwin' up some vids a few months back, and takin' some heat. Honestly, he couldn't really back up all that he was toutin' himself to be, but none of the "bigger guys" on the forums gave him a hard time, cause hell, he had the balls to be postin' the vids. I saw some guy on Youtube trashin' him who was worse than he was... And now, not like McAlister's Roy Jones, but he's gotten a lot better. He's gotta work still, but there's a lot of positive comments over on the vid he just posted. We've all gotta work man, and I don't see the best on here trashin' anyone. And I doubt you're one of the best on here. But hell bro, I could be wrong about that, just throw up a vid on your own...

Sorry, it just really pisses me off when people come up and flame people with nothing useful to say. They did it to McAlister cause he talked, Animal Squables, cause hes a bigger guy, and ****, I've even seen that Vers has some haters. But none of those haters have their own vids. So honestly man, if you do have somethin' to say then show me, cause I do wanna improve my technique. As far as my fights go, my technique goes alright because a lot of people ignore proper technique in fights, and I seem to be able to keep it in mind. But even still, I really wanna get it up to a good level.

Also, I guess I do talk kinda big when it comes to the science stuff people ask. But that's cause I do know a fair amount about that stuff. I didn't go to university 'cause I like the way the books look on my shelves...

So HANDZ, I ain't got to real problem with you, but either give me some advice, post your own vid, or don't bother talkin' down to other people, cause one thing I do know in my experience is that if you keep trash talkin', you're not gonna last long in this sport. Not to "talk a great one"...

Peace,
Trick

Trick
03-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Also, just an update to those interessed, hopefully I'll be puttin' up a new one soon enough. That vid was the first time I could see my jab range problem and my pretty glaring rotational problems. Not that my hip really bothers me now, but I think after I blew it playin' soccer I started rotating really half-assed and no one ever stopped me. I've been really tryin' to pay attention to that rotation issue, so when I get a chance I'll try to throw up another one to see if things have improved. Thanks for the advice btw,

Peace,
Trick

Bear4228
03-11-2007, 06:10 AM
We all need a lot of work man... I talk a great one? I've been through years of training on my own, and have got a lot to say, being on good ends of **** sometimes, and being on some bad **** too. Until January I didn't have a proper trainer cause I didn't have the money. Wanna throw down your own vid and show me how it's done? I've got a whole lot of bad habits that years of improper training and a hip injury do, and I'm workin' em' out, but I do fine in the ring. That's why I put that vid up. Got any advice? Or just that I need work... If I didn't, I wouldn't have put it up here. That was just a heavy bag vid man, I'm not so good on the bag I find, and was lookin' for advice. You hit like Frazier? Prove it man, or tell me something I don't know, other than I need work...

Take McAlister as an example, he was throwin' up some vids a few months back, and takin' some heat. Honestly, he couldn't really back up all that he was toutin' himself to be, but none of the "bigger guys" on the forums gave him a hard time, cause hell, he had the balls to be postin' the vids. I saw some guy on Youtube trashin' him who was worse than he was... And now, not like McAlister's Roy Jones, but he's gotten a lot better. He's gotta work still, but there's a lot of positive comments over on the vid he just posted. We've all gotta work man, and I don't see the best on here trashin' anyone. And I doubt you're one of the best on here. But hell bro, I could be wrong about that, just throw up a vid on your own...

Sorry, it just really pisses me off when people come up and flame people with nothing useful to say. They did it to McAlister cause he talked, Animal Squables, cause hes a bigger guy, and ****, I've even seen that Vers has some haters. But none of those haters have their own vids. So honestly man, if you do have somethin' to say then show me, cause I do wanna improve my technique. As far as my fights go, my technique goes alright because a lot of people ignore proper technique in fights, and I seem to be able to keep it in mind. But even still, I really wanna get it up to a good level.

Also, I guess I do talk kinda big when it comes to the science stuff people ask. But that's cause I do know a fair amount about that stuff. I didn't go to university 'cause I like the way the books look on my shelves...

So HANDZ, I ain't got to real problem with you, but either give me some advice, post your own vid, or don't bother talkin' down to other people, cause one thing I do know in my experience is that if you keep trash talkin', you're not gonna last long in this sport. Not to "talk a great one"...

Peace,
Trick

hahaha owned

HANDZ
03-11-2007, 06:28 AM
sorry im not reading all that :boxing:

Trick
03-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Haha, it did turn out longer than I thought. I just said tell me how it's done, or show me how it's done on a vid. It's up here for advice...

Southpaw16
03-11-2007, 06:06 PM
If you want to get your shoulder into it more, try leaning to your right when you throw the jabs. You are always leaning to left as you throw, and that will leave you more open to a counter. Keep up the hard work.

McAlister
03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Seems like you're jabbing towards the body, but I forgot your tall... so that prolly is where some opponents head is (for you).

Other than that, video seems pretty cool.. From some angels it looks like your right foot comes off the ground when you jab.. but I couldnt really tell from the cam view

Thanks for sharing

DoctorKillJoy
03-12-2007, 10:36 AM
My advice is put a shirt on...

Trick
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Haha, its just the gym downstairs at my rez, no one's there on a sunday, and I'll do anything to avoid making more laundry to do. I shoud mention that my other one is up in the other thread now.

Thanks,
Trick

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FqyCS0iaF-U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FqyCS0iaF-U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

realheavyhands
03-17-2007, 01:33 AM
you need to fight southpaw

Trick
03-17-2007, 04:07 AM
how d'you reckon that?

realheavyhands
03-17-2007, 07:57 AM
how d'you reckon that?

they way your hook looks.. you dont have to but you would last alot longer and have less pain..be able to get in better shape.. and be able to throw punches from all angles. you would be able to train harder as long as you wanted instead of your body breaking down after a while

realheavyhands
03-17-2007, 08:01 AM
you left hand would be straighter and your right hook will have more range

Trick
03-17-2007, 12:41 PM
hmm well just before you suggested that, I was thinkin' about that, cause my left forearm is a little busted right now. You may be right, but I've trained ortho my whole life, honestly, at the begining I didn't like it, but now I'm used to it, and when I throw a cross with my left, and old lady could stand up to it. I guess that just takes the coordination. I'm thinkin' of maybe starting to learn to do both, but I've always advised against it myself, so I don't know.

What do you think?

realheavyhands
03-17-2007, 01:15 PM
hmm well just before you suggested that, I was thinkin' about that, cause my left forearm is a little busted right now. You may be right, but I've trained ortho my whole life, honestly, at the begining I didn't like it, but now I'm used to it, and when I throw a cross with my left, and old lady could stand up to it. I guess that just takes the coordination. I'm thinkin' of maybe starting to learn to do both, but I've always advised against it myself, so I don't know.

What do you think?

you can still switch.. i was orthodox too. converting to southpaw gives you an advantage in your case is easier to just build up the left.. shadow box like crazy and shadow box for power ..i guarantee your left is faster then your right , you just have to learn how to use it.. it will be straighter then the right like a laser and the power will come... watch young tyson he could do everything in the ring

Trick
03-17-2007, 04:00 PM
ya, well regardless if it's something I pick up for the rest of my "career", I'm gonna probably be doin' that now anyways, on account of my busted left arm. I slip into southpaw every now and then, but not for long because like I said, my crosses are weak. But I can jab and hook fine enough with it, so I guess the speed and power is already there, I just need to get the coordination down.

So you fight both ortho and south, or just south now?

realheavyhands
03-17-2007, 06:29 PM
ya, well regardless if it's something I pick up for the rest of my "career", I'm gonna probably be doin' that now anyways, on account of my busted left arm. I slip into southpaw every now and then, but not for long because like I said, my crosses are weak. But I can jab and hook fine enough with it, so I guess the speed and power is already there, I just need to get the coordination down.

So you fight both ortho and south, or just south now?

i switch back and forth so many damn times in an expert on this i dont do it much anymore i do it sometimes just in case i have to ... my left was weak at first ,i shadow boxed 3 hours a day every day spread out through out the day ... i can tell u should switch becuase i look just like you on the bag 2 years ago.. shadow boxing is more important then anything.. dont even watch tyson watch barerra he can do it all hes not even in his natural weight class.. i can fight both ortho dox eventaully if i fight right handed every day for months my knees are stiff as hell i can train as hard it wasnt as natural.. .. my left was trash when i first switched... do u feel looser left handed?

-Antonio-
03-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Your jab is lazy still, especially when you double it. That should be very easy to fix though. Your biggest problem in the first vid was the fact you were punching too low and you fixed that.

Just work on extending your jab. Step into it with your legs, and extend your shoulder when you throw it.