View Full Version : Protein Shakes??

FIGHTING_FLIP
02-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Can anyone tell me the purpose of these..of course lots of stuff you need but like will they help me gain weight lose weight etc..and whats the best one to buy?

Chris46
02-23-2007, 03:59 AM
i may b rong but i think protein shakes r for building muscle

coreywash
02-23-2007, 04:35 AM
yeah i think its for building muscle

Nacho_Analstain
02-23-2007, 04:37 AM
protein shakes are for more than building muscle,although they do help build muscle,depends if you lift weights or not though,if you lift weights then yeh you will put muscle on,do the science

coreywash
02-23-2007, 04:42 AM
kool...i aint trying to build any muscle...im thinking bout testing out the 155 lb weight class

Trick
02-23-2007, 10:43 AM
A normal protein shake isn't some kind of steroid. It's like eating a can of dry tuna, which is basically pure protein. I have one or two every day, cause I find I don't get enough protein in my diet. If you do get enough, protein shakes won't do anything for ya. Either diet or supplement, just make sure you get enough protein, it's not only important for your muscles, especially if you train hard.

-Antonio-
02-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Its just a way of eating a lot of protein without having to down a couple cans of tuna, or a couple steaks.

And it helps you recover from your workouts, so its good to drink a shake right after.

FIGHTING_FLIP
02-23-2007, 06:28 PM
thanks for the responses..anyone no any good ones?

Trick
02-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I use power whey chocolate

It tastes good (well for a protein shake), has a lot of calcium as well, which is good, because I dont eat much dairy, and has a high glutamine content (although I'll bet most do).

I'd recommend it

Gio
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Protein alone doesnt build muscle, you must consume alot of calories as well.

Protein mostly helps your muscles rebuild after they've been broken down from workouts.

You should try a carbohydrate suplement, it helps you re-fuel after a tough workout.

dario
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM
There are lots of different kinds of protein shakes. There are pure protein shakes with barely any other nutritional sources, there are mass gainer protein shakes which help you put on weight, and there are specific protein protein shakes such as ones with only whey, egg, goat whey, and casein proteins, and there are fast release protein shakes and slow release protein shakes. They don't build muscle, they just help you build it just like any other protein source (or maybe a little better at most times). And they are great for whenever you don't have time to make a meal large in protein, for example in the morning or right after working out.

Now once you decide what kind of protein shake you want, then I can help you from there.

-Antonio-
02-24-2007, 11:39 AM
I stole Fraidys shake and Ive been drinking that for a good while now.

I get 6 star vanilla whey and mix it with oats, milk, and strawberries. It taste like a strawberry milkshake. Its delicious.

FIGHTING_FLIP
02-24-2007, 02:01 PM
alright ill go down to the GMC store sometime and let yall no wut i get..thanks

Hitman932
02-24-2007, 04:30 PM
thanks for the responses..anyone no any good ones?

for a fighter like you the perfect choice would be "Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard Whey"

it is low sugar so you will not gain as much weight as something like Nitro-tech (which tastes gross)

optimum nutrion is the best tasting, plus its pretty affordable

it also contains glutamine which is a supplement aiding in muscle recovery that wouldnt have any negative effects on your training.

this is what i take and i wouldnt even consider a change

dario
02-25-2007, 09:50 AM
this is what i take and i wouldnt even consider a change

that's not very good..

Trick
02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Dario, out of curiosity, what do you use?

Hitman932
02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
that's not very good..

explain please?

littlegiant
02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Protein powders can be more beneficial than just a steak or tin of tuna(if you buy a good one) because it is a complete protein, it should contain your amino acids. They aid in muscle recovery and help prevent muscle wasting from over training.

BrooklynBomber
02-25-2007, 11:01 PM
explain please?

Its good to cycle different protein powders since they contain different amino acids.

phallus
02-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Its good to cycle different protein powders since they contain different amino acids.

or maybe mix a couple different ones together

Trick
02-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Mine's got 18. And loads of the essential ones, the other ones you produce yourself anyways, so long as you have the building blocks.

Peace,
Trick

nvme
03-25-2007, 09:51 AM
just got a quick question. i do weight trainin lik 3 times a week and im taking a musashi whey protein isolate 2 times a day everyday. the question is, should i only drink my protein shake b4 n after workout, or is it ok to drink it everyday (twice a day) with 3 times a week training.

BrooklynBomber
03-25-2007, 10:04 AM
just got a quick question. i do weight trainin lik 3 times a week and im taking a musashi whey protein isolate 2 times a day everyday. the question is, should i only drink my protein shake b4 n after workout, or is it ok to drink it everyday (twice a day) with 3 times a week training.

Drink it everyday.

fraidycat
03-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I've posted this before, but my protein shake recipe -- this is my breakfast 90% of the time:

1 cup instant oats
2 scoops whey protein
2 cups nonfat milk
1/2 cup (1/2 a fist-sized hunk) frozen berries

Put it all in a blender, whip till frothy, and chug half of it. Put the other half in the fridge and drink it after your workout (you'll need to blend it again b/c the oats will settle.) With a lid on the blender, it'll keep for a few days in the fridge.

~400 calories, 40g protein & 2g fat in 1/2 a serving, tons of fiber, and it fills you up.

Instead of berries, you can use a banana, or a tablespoon of peanut butter, or Ovaltine, or fresh berries, or whatever. Something to give it flavor. I've been throwing a little bit of apple juice into mine, lately. Enjoy.

Animal Squabbs
03-26-2007, 01:21 AM
I normally use the low carb protein shakes as meal replacements to help lose weight, or sometimes after a good workout and it makes my muscles feel like steel.

Also, Ive been using low carb protein bars too from myoplex. They make my muscles feel real swole if I lift weights.

-Antonio-
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I've posted this before, but my protein shake recipe -- this is my breakfast 90% of the time:

1 cup instant oats
2 scoops whey protein
2 cups nonfat milk
1/2 cup (1/2 a fist-sized hunk) frozen berries

Put it all in a blender, whip till frothy, and chug half of it. Put the other half in the fridge and drink it after your workout (you'll need to blend it again b/c the oats will settle.) With a lid on the blender, it'll keep for a few days in the fridge.

~400 calories, 40g protein & 2g fat in 1/2 a serving, tons of fiber, and it fills you up.

Instead of berries, you can use a banana, or a tablespoon of peanut butter, or Ovaltine, or fresh berries, or whatever. Something to give it flavor. I've been throwing a little bit of apple juice into mine, lately. Enjoy.

I drink that shake before every workout. It tastes great too. Thanks for puting it on here.

IronNick
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
i heard of some good **** called "muscle milk" , apparently it makes u put on mad weight though..