View Full Version : Boxing useless in a Bar Brawl?

Darkstranger
02-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello my fellow boxers!

I read a post in another forum that claimed that boxing would be useless is a bar brawl. I just wanted to know what you all thought of this concept.

bobweaver
02-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow thats all i gotta say

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I dont mind tihs post. But Im guessing a few people will. NO boxing is NOT useless in a bar brawl. If there are lots of people around you in a bar. Then punching distance is what youll have, you wont have room to kick, and little room to grapple.

Southpaw Stinger
02-22-2007, 10:08 AM
So a boxer who gets himself in great shape and spends all his time training to throw fast hard punches and gets plenty of experience sparring would be useless against some fat drunk in a pub? Wow. whoever said that must be truly ignorant.

me2007
02-22-2007, 10:10 AM
if there are no weapons to hand, boxing is the only method of fighting to use if you want to survive.

If you can`t box then you can`t fight.

Jumping around like bruce lee or trying to get someone in a rear naked choke or triangle choke will just get you killed.

My brother said a similar thing to me some time ago...something along the lines of 'you aint gonna use those combinations in a real fight'

I have and i would....mind you, he ******* out of every confrontation i`ve ever seen and can`t fight for ****. He's good at talking smack though.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 10:11 AM
If its one on one with no weapons its ment to be kicking, then boxing then grappling. from worst to best.

me2007
02-22-2007, 10:14 AM
i dont see how kicking someone, which requires a lot of range, timing and luck would be any use in a bar fight at all. To end it quickly you`d have to kick them in the head..anyone with any knowledge of how to fight would get out of the way of a head kick.

How many ko's from kicks have you seen in mma? Ive seen 1 or 2 in about 5 years of watching it.

Southpaw Stinger
02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
If its one on one with no weapons its ment to be kicking, then boxing then grappling. from worst to best.

The thing is, if it's a bar room brawl very rarely is it one on one.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Knowing boxing in a bar brawl is well...minimal benefit at best.

People don't square up and circle each other in bar brawls...You're not gonna be sticking and moving and jabbing. When **** goes down in the bar or club, people are out manhandle each other. Add that with the fact that theres so many distractions including people, objects, music, dark light etc. Its an entirely different element.

I can tell u from experience...Ive boxed thousands of rounds in the ring. And the last time I got in to a bar brawl, I used next to nothing that I've learned. I was just throwing wicked blows and fighting with killer instinct and little else. Granted I was fighting 5 guys by myself, and I still stood there and tried to trade with all of them...Wasn't the smartest idea granted the way my face looked the next day. Had I thought of boxing though, I would have covered up tight and shot right hands from a defensive guard at least. I guess Winky would probably survive a jumping with just a few scratches. :)

Southpaw Stinger
02-22-2007, 10:16 AM
i dont see how kicking someone, which requires a lot of range, timing and luck would be any use in a bar fight at all. To end it quickly you`d have to kick them in the head..anyone with any knowledge of how to fight would get out of the way of a head kick.

How many ko's from kicks have you seen in mma? Ive seen 1 or 2 in about 5 years of watching it.

kicks are pretty useless in street/bar fights.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah I know thats it. you might be reading it the wrong way round

Worst - kicking - boxing - grappling -best

Assuming its one on one, no weapons, and probably space.

Southpaw Stinger
02-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Yeah I know thats it. you might be reading it the wrong way round

Worst - kicking - boxing - grappling -best

Assuming its one on one, no weapons, and probably space.

no i read it right, i got ya.

me2007
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
sorry i misread it

Southpaw Stinger
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM

People don't square up and circle each other in bar brawls...You're not gonna be sticking and moving and jabbing. When **** goes down in the bar or club, people are out manhandle each other. Add that with the fact that theres so many distractions including people, objects, music, dark light etc. Its an entirely different element.

I can tell u from experience...Ive boxed thousands of rounds in the ring. And the last time I got in to a bar brawl, I used next to nothing that I've learned. I was just throwing wicked blows and fighting with killer instinct and little else.

if you've boxed thousands of rounds you should be able to finish off a fight in one blow. I as hell could.
Bar fights tend to be clumsy swings to the head and poor attempts to grapple someone.
If your a trained boxer you can just throw a couple of hard digs to the body and end the fight right there.

me2007
02-22-2007, 10:21 AM
if you are fighting 5 guys then there aint much you can do.

I disagree about it being minimal...in a 1 to 1 fight or even 1 to 2 ... all you have to do is land a couple of shots up close and you`ve won

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Boxing is the best thing out of all of them really, overall.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
if you've boxed thousands of rounds you should be able to finish off a fight in one blow. I as hell could.

So u regularly finish fights in one blow huh? Got any vids of it? :lame:

me2007
02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
you are kidding right? most fights ive been in or seen end in 3 punches maximum on the street....

were those thousands of rounds versus a punch bag?

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I will quote here: most fights are finished in 3 seconds. 95% of those that arnt, go to the ground

Southpaw Stinger
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
So u regularly finish fights in one blow huh? Got any vids of it? :lame:

you offer to blow a guy in a bar and he'll leave you alone.

Southpaw Stinger
02-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I will quote here: most fights are finished in 3 seconds. 95% of those that arnt, go to the ground

A street fight that last 10 seconds would be considered long. usually the guy who lands the first hard blow wins the fight.

GR@Y SKIEZ
02-22-2007, 10:35 AM
my box cutter is my best friend..........boxing is not useless in the street, it actually gives you the advantage....but when worste comes to worste, its good to have some kind of weapon....i rather have it and not need it, they to need it and not have it....

Tuggers1986
02-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Boxing WOULD help in a bar brawl. a boxer would be the same as every other guy in the bar except hed be the one who knows how to fight.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 10:40 AM
you are kidding right? most fights ive been in or seen end in 3 punches maximum on the street

3 punches maximum? lolz...Are u referring to Tyson vs Mitch Green or something? You must not have seen many street fights. Like Platinum said, if a street fight is lucky enough to last more than 3 seconds standing up, then maybe a fight can be ended with one punch. I can't remember the last time I saw or was in a fight that didn't go to the ground. Street fights wind up being a sloppy mess until it was broken up. I haven't even seen Kimbo Slice knock someone out in 3 seconds.

Sorry to say, but a lot of people who wonder the benefit of boxing in a street fight, have either never boxed, or never been in a street fight. Its easy to talk a good game, but you won't know unless you have real boxing skills and have found yourself in a street fight trying to use them.

BrooklynBomber
02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Boxing would help in a bar brawl, ability to throw fast hard punches that can usually knock out a regular person always helps. You just wont look pretty doing it. But street fight/ bar brawls usually never look pretty.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
The whole 3 second thing is to do with hitting them first basically and that being the end of it. And yes, Alot of fights end up a sloppy mess on the floor.

but boxing does count ALOT. Average guy VS boxer. Its gonna be boxer, really isnt it.

Geoff Thompson was a bouncer for 10 years in some of the roughest clubs in coventry. He estimates over 300 fights. Hes an ABA instructor, wrestling instructor, 1st dan in karate, 6th an in Judo ETC...

And he says if he could only have one martial art or whatever, itd be boxing.
But he says hed never only have one, itsbe boxing then grappling ( judo, jujitsu, catch wrestling ) Then Thai.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
The whole 3 second thing is to do with hitting them first basically and that being the end of it. And yes, Alot of fights end up a sloppy mess on the floor.

but boxing does count ALOT. Average guy VS boxer. Its gonna be boxer, really isnt it.

Geoff Thompson was a bouncer for 10 years in some of the roughest clubs in coventry. He estimates over 300 fights. Hes an ABA instructor, wrestling instructor, 1st dan in karate, 6th an in Judo ETC...

And he says if he could only have one martial art or whatever, itd be boxing.
But he says hed never only have one, itsbe boxing then grappling ( judo, jujitsu, catch wrestling ) Then Thai.

Don't misquote me and say that boxing doesnt HELP in a street fight. Ofcourse it does. But people are overestimating its value. If I had to choose between having boxing skills in a street fight or NOT having any, then obviously Im gonna go with the former. Because you play in the NBA, doesn't mean you can be a successful street baller and tour with And 1 does it? Ofcourse your experience will help, but its not the same thing.

Don't know who Geoff Thompson is, but if he thinks boxing is the best discipline to have, than thats his choice. I would think that being a bouncer, grappling would be the best thing to know.

The point I'm making is that a man threatening you and testing your pride in the street puts you in a whole different state of mind then when you are in a boxing ring. MMA is much closer to street fighting than is boxing. Take a skilled MMA guy and put him against a skilled boxer in the street, and the MMA guy destroys.

me2007
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I can only speak from experience...i have been in 5 streetfights, and all of them have ended in a few seconds...

If you can`t put someone down who has no technical fighting skills then you have no business talking about fighting or boxing.

kimbo slice fights people half his size...the only fight i`ve seen which lasted more than 30 seconds was the one where he fought sean gannon where kimbo ended up asleep on the floor.

You are talking about two trained people fighting, i am talking about a boxer versus a drunk or unskilled slob.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 11:07 AM
You are talking about two trained people fighting, i am talking about a boxer versus a drunk or unskilled slob.

Well I was using the MMA thing as an example. Boxer vs non-boxer, = advantage boxer. Im not denying that. But people are just failing to realize how different things can go down in the street than in a boxing ring. Its not as cookie cutter as yall are making it seem. You can have your fists taken away from you in a split second if some crazy guy bear hugs you and slams you.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 11:08 AM
UFC is closer to streetfighting. But Id still take boxing over and other form of martial art. So if average guy fights prime tyson, then tysons gonna win, but his boxing skills dont make that much of a difference?

triggnom
02-22-2007, 11:09 AM
LOOK, you dont box people in street fights, BUUUTTT the hand speed and power and quick movements, and accuracy you develop in boxing WILL ALWAYS give you an upper hand,

So basically a boxer, well trained, will maul the ordinary person if ever encountered in a fight

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM
So if average guy fights prime tyson, then tysons gonna win, but his boxing skills dont make that much of a difference?

Come on man, what kind of ridiculous example is that.

DA1CATAS
02-22-2007, 11:12 AM
What da hell? Boxing Useless in a fight? If you think that to any degree Your Useless! Better yet How about USELESS post!

fraidycat
02-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Knowing how to deliver, and avoid, and take, a punch has to be of considerable benefit.

Being acclimated to someone wanting to rip you apart, i.e., keeping a cool head under a flurry of blows, has to be of benefit.

Conditioning yourself to ignore pain and fatigue until it is over, has to be of benefit.

This is what, IMO, boxing gives you that you can use in a bar fight.

Maybe boxing won't give you any spectacular, fight-winning combinations (maybe it will), but the physical and mental conditioning that a competitive boxer goes through -- not Tae Bo, not "boxing fitness," I mean what you see in your own eyes in the mirror ten minutes before you step into the ring -- THAT is what boxers have, that many other martial artists don't, that will get them through a scrap better than the next guy. And people who don't study a combat sport sure as hell don't have it.

Is a bar fight boxing? No. But any full-contact martial art where you condition yourself to keep going and keep strategizing while you absorb and deliver pain, is going to help you when the **** hits the fan. Boxing is full-contact. Muay Thai is full-contact. Wrestling, Judo, and Jiu-Jitsu are full-contact.

Usually, these threads about "Boxing is useless on the street" are propagated by spoon-chested dweebs who think that some hold they learned in their Boo Long Poo class is going to get them out of trouble. "Here, grab my shirt. No, like this. . . ."

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Knowing how to deliver, and avoid, and take, a punch has to be of considerable benefit.

Being acclimated to someone wanting to rip you apart, i.e., keeping a cool head under a flurry of blows, has to be of benefit.

Conditioning yourself to ignore pain and fatigue until it is over, has to be of benefit.

This is what, IMO, boxing gives you that you can use in a bar fight.

Maybe boxing won't give you any spectacular, fight-winning combinations (maybe it will), but the physical and mental conditioning that a competitive boxer goes through -- not Tae Bo, not "boxing fitness," I mean what you see in your own eyes in the mirror ten minutes before you step into the ring -- THAT is what boxers have, that many other martial artists don't, that will get them through a scrap better than the next guy. And people who don't study a combat sport sure as hell don't have it.

Is a bar fight boxing? No. But any full-contact martial art where you condition yourself to keep going and keep strategizing while you absorb and deliver pain, is going to help you when the **** hits the fan. Boxing is full-contact. Muay Thai is full-contact. Wrestling, Judo, and Jiu-Jitsu are full-contact.

Usually, these threads about "Boxing is useless on the street" are propagated by spoon-chested dweebs who think that some hold they learned in their Boo Long Poo class is going to get them out of trouble. "Here, grab my shirt. No, like this. . . ."

MAN that was funny LOL! haha. I could hear that being said lol man...

Yeh youre right fraidy in the most very good point about conditioning. But the bit in italics? Boxings gonna be the best.

Also, yeh scrappy tyson vs average guy. Its valid, but yeh youre right..

Ok so average amateur lets say. Still going to have the upper hand.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 11:24 AM
What da hell? Boxing Useless in a fight? If you think that to any degree Your Useless! Better yet How about USELESS post!

Show me where someone said boxing was useless in a streetfight Einstein.

These street fight/boxing threads are always pointless. But one more post and I'm done...FraidyCat touched on the basic points.

In early UFC Tank Abbott got in the Octagon and ****ED experienced people up with nothing but wild swinging and violent street tactics. Mayorga did the same. Vernon Forrest had some 300 + amateur fights and 20 + pro fights. But if he met Mayorga in the street, he would lose 10 times out of 10.

It all depends on the person too...if a boxer runs in to some aggressive, determined and mean ma****a who overwhelms him, then boxing skills aren't going to help him so much in the street. You may have to resort to other tactics.

I see it all the time in the gym...some ghetto inexperienced dude gets in the ring and tries to decapitate experienced people over and over. And it takes time for the boxer to adjust or get some breathing room, and in a street fight time is what you don't have.

Bottom line is, that every opponent, situation and reaction is different. Knowing how to box is clearly an advantage, but theres no way to truly predict if having boxing skills would make you victorious in every street fight.

me2007
02-22-2007, 11:25 AM

boo long poo lol

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Of course boxing wont help in every streetfight. But its probably the best martial art for streetfighting

me2007
02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Scrappy Diggs;2166869]
In early UFC Tank Abbott got in the Octagon and ****ED experienced people up with nothing but wild swinging and violent street tactics. Mayorga did the same. Vernon Forrest had some 300 + amateur fights and 20 + pro fights. But if he met Mayorga in the street, he would lose 10 times out of 10.
QUOTE]

Tank Abbott wasn`t some guy dragged off the street. he had extensive boxing and wrestling experience ....yes his style looked ragged but i assure you there is technique in there...Mayorga is also a skilled boxer...he may not be a great mover like the viper, buit he sure as hell can punch like a mule which he learned in the gym.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Of course boxing wont help in every streetfight. But its probably the best martial art for streetfighting

I would actually say jiu jitsu/wrestling type disciplines is the best. Once you get a dominant position on someone, you don't need boxing skills to know how to pummel his face with your fist.

Tank Abbott wasn`t some guy dragged off the street. he had extensive boxing and wrestling experience ....yes his style looked ragged but i assure you there is technique in there...Mayorga is also a skilled boxer...he may not be a great mover like the viper, buit he sure as hell can punch like a mule which he learned in the gym.
I'll have to disagree and assure you that early Tank Abbott showed next to zero technique. He just attacked and swung and swung. His experience was amateur at best which pertains to this thread cuz I am taking this debate in to consideration with the notion that most people here are amateurs.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Streetfights are rarely 1 on 1. so boxing is better. Also to get the first strike in boxing is better.

me2007
02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
i dont agree...he was still using footwork and leveredge in his punches to get maximum power... you make it sound like he's just flaling his arms around...plus he used his experience to get them to the cage and use up and down techniques to the body and head...

i dont believe you can be en effective streetfighter with ju jitsu ... are you going to get side control and bang an americana on them and break their arm on a sidewalk?

If you start trying to do that, anyone can walk up to you uninhibited....with boxing, you are on your feet and can move...

Have you seen the ultimate fighter? some of those guys dont have the personality to do anything to anyone outside of an octagon..

what i will say is that its the guy in the fight not the style

its been proved in the cage the best style is a mixture of boxing and ju jitsu, either on their own has gaps.

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Streetfights are rarely 1 on 1. so boxing is better. Also to get the first strike in boxing is better.

Ok, we have to be considering 1 on 1 fights here. I'm not talking about mismatches. If you are fighting 3 people by yourself, then theres no possible way you will have an advantage even if you are a world champion boxer.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I dont know. Tyson prime may be able to defeat 3 guys I recon. Ok but for 1 on 1. Boxing is still up there cos its what you can get the first strike in with.

leow
02-22-2007, 11:47 AM
all this mma is better for street fight is bull**** last time i faught in the streets was infront of a McDonalds some 1 one pushed me we had a few words and he swang at me i grabbed him with 1 hand and punched with the other next thing i know we slip on the floor (it rained before) so we wrestle for a min i get the best out of it i'm on top of him pounding his face (missed a few punches hands hurts... :@) his boys start to join in... if i kept "Ground and Pounding mma style) i woulda eat a soccer kick straight up... luckyly his boys helped the dude up and didn't even try to come at me..
result of all this bull**** = dirty clothes, broken glasses, a bloody eye...

DON'T FIGHT IN THE STREETS IT SUCKS

i guess in a standing street fight boxing would be best cause not so many fights are faught from a distance and "stick n move style" any dude with a minimum of boxing experience would be able to slip punches.. while the other untrained dude would be an easy target

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 11:49 AM
all this mma is better for street fight is bull**** last time i faught in the streets was infront of a McDonalds some 1 one pushed me we had a few words and he swang at me i grabbed him with 1 hand and punched with the other next thing i know we slip on the floor (it rained before) so we wrestle for a min i get the best out of it i'm on top of him pounding his face (missed a few punches hands hurts... :@) his boys start to join in... if i kept "Ground and Pounding mma style) i woulda eat a soccer kick straight up... luckyly his boys helped the dude up and didn't even try to come at me..
result of all this bull**** = dirty clothes, broken glasses, a bloody eye...

DON'T FIGHT IN THE STREETS IT SUCKS

lol :D...............

Bucktown Beast
02-22-2007, 11:53 AM
i dont agree...he was still using footwork and leveredge in his punches to get maximum power... you make it sound like he's just flaling his arms around...plus he used his experience to get them to the cage and use up and down techniques to the body and head...

Dog, have u ever seen Tank Abbott vs John Matua? Or Tank vs Steve Nelmark? No skill...no technique. It was just an all out attack. No setup, no thought, no movement. I mean if you think Tank had "some skill" then thats fine...the average tough guy in the street thinks he has skill because hes seen Rocky 1-5. But if you want to take the closest organized fighting example of a "street vs skill" match, then Tank Abbott is who you look at. Tank even labeled himself as a street fighter.

what i will say is that its the guy in the fight not the style

The point I was getting at.

-Antonio-
02-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Every street fight I have seen consisted of a 10-20 second mess of wide punches ending in both men exhausted.

I think it has a big advantage granted you are pretty good at what you do. I know in a fight you arent "boxing" but you still learn how to avoid punches and punch the right way. You also train to go rounds at a high pace, where as a regular joe gets exhausted after 4 haymakers.

This is obviously the case if the other guy didnt have a weapon, or wasnt much bigger than you. If a 6'5 300 pound guy grabs me, boxing wont help me much.

fraidycat
02-22-2007, 12:08 PM
I wanted to add, that learning how to throw combos on a heavy bag in your basement is not, by my definition in my above post, "boxing." Neither is ****ing around with your buddies in a basement-sparring scenario. I really do believe that to get the most out of boxing from a practical / self-defense aspect, you need to compete. The rules inside the ring are not a street fight, but what you learn in there -- and outside of there -- are where, IMO, the benefits of boxing truly lie. The ring makes you tough. It makes you think under fire. It points out your faults, as well as your strengths. It shows you how much pain you can take -- and give. It makes you physically, emotionally, and mentally tough.

This from a guy who's been in two fights since he left high school. The first one I got my nose busted and got the crap kicked out of me b/c I froze when I saw the punch coming in, and was so paralyzed by the force (and novelty) of a hit to the face that I just locked up and had no idea what to do. This was before I started boxing.

The other fight was after I'd been boxing for about 4 months. A guy I'd been having trouble with for some time tried to sucker-punch me. But even after as little boxing training as I'd had, I could see him shuffle his feet and chamber the punch (and he thought he was being sneaky! :nonono: ) and I knew exactly where it was coming from and when. I ducked it, pivoted, and slid back out of range with my guard up, and he put his fist through the wall right where my head had been. It would've caught me above the ear and put me out; as it was, he broke several bones in his hand and his wrist, and received a bill for the repairs. I didn't have to touch him, and he still went to the hospital. I literally could've killed him at that point -- it would've been a simple matter to kick him in both shins, run his head into the wall, and and monkey-stomp him, if I'd wanted to.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I wanted to add, that learning how to throw combos on a heavy bag in your basement is not, by my definition in my above post, "boxing." Neither is ****ing around with your buddies in a basement-sparring scenario. I really do believe that to get the most out of boxing from a practical / self-defense aspect, you need to compete. The rules inside the ring are not a street fight, but what you learn in there -- and outside of there -- are where, IMO, the benefits of boxing truly lie. The ring makes you tough. It makes you think under fire. It points out your faults, as well as your strengths. It shows you how much pain you can take -- and give. It makes you physically, emotionally, and mentally tough.

This from a guy who's been in two fights since he left high school. The first one I got my nose busted and got the crap kicked out of me b/c I froze when I saw the punch coming in, and was so paralyzed by the force (and novelty) of a hit to the face that I just locked up and had no idea what to do. This was before I started boxing.

The other fight was after I'd been boxing for about 4 months. A guy I'd been having trouble with for some time tried to sucker-punch me. But even after as little boxing training as I'd had, I could see him shuffle his feet and chamber the punch (and he thought he was being sneaky! :nonono: ) and I knew exactly where it was coming from and when. I ducked it, pivoted, and slid back out of range with my guard up, and he put his fist through the wall right where my head had been. It would've caught me above the ear and put me out; as it was, he broke several bones in his hand and his wrist, and received a bill for the repairs. I didn't have to touch him, and he still went to the hospital. I literally could've killed him at that point -- it would've been a simple matter to kick him in both shins, run his head into the wall, and and monkey-stomp him, if I'd wanted to.

You should add how much of a **** this guy was

Mr. Ryan
02-22-2007, 01:14 PM
If you can punch, you can fight.

mistahay0
02-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Ya I think if you were trained right and could punch you could take out guys well over your weight and taller. Even if its in the streets or anywhere else.

deh707
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Ok, we have to be considering 1 on 1 fights here. I'm not talking about mismatches. If you are fighting 3 people by yourself, then theres no possible way you will have an advantage even if you are a world champion boxer.

a world champion boxer vs 3 people.........

lets say the world champ is mayweather in this case.

i can picture him running away/in circles until the 3 guys are tired. then he treats them like walking heavybags.

i guess any boxer who is well conditioned can do that. unless they had a gun.

Brockton Lip
02-22-2007, 04:02 PM
a world champion boxer vs 3 people.........

lets say the world champ is mayweather in this case.

i can picture him running away/in circles until the 3 guys are tired. then he treats them like walking heavybags.

i guess any boxer who is well conditioned can do that. unless they had a gun.

Mayweather is going to circle and run away from 3 225 pound men in a very small area? And what happens when he punches and hurts his hand?

Boxing will help, but not as much as people are saying, at least not in a bar. But style also comes into play.

eazy_mas
02-22-2007, 04:08 PM
i think yes boxing could help you because you are fit mentally and physically to fight.

here is a fact boxing is one of the tools to fight it how you use it that matters.

i will have and advantge of handspedd and coutering there punchs but many wont

abdiel2k3
02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
conventional boxing "jab stick n move" might be odd ti see
but it could work
when ive gotten into fights
i dont try to box
but i def use what ive learned to get an advantage
main thing
most people dont know how to throw a punch right
proper and to wide
second i move back make pay for swing wide
then when they try to wrestle go for a hug
short quick punches to prevent from huggin
but if the end up hugg/grappling
dig punches to body and side
my opinion
boxing comes in handy

Banderivets
02-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Dunno, the most effective has always been a side kick 'CroCop style' to the head. It will lay anyone out and no one expects it.

And sure boxing is usefull, just about any boxer any weight class knows how to punch, and that means a lot.

leow
02-23-2007, 05:17 AM
no body other then crocop can kick like this... in street clothes its hard to lift up your leg like this plus with shoes you wouldn't get the good rotation...
the only good techniques other than boxing would be like some muay thai stuff knees and bows all the short range attacks

coreywash
02-23-2007, 05:32 AM

I can tell u from experience...Ive boxed thousands of rounds in the ring. And the last time I got in to a bar brawl, I used next to nothing that I've learned. I was just throwing wicked blows and fighting with killer instinct and little else. Granted I was fighting 5 guys by myself, and I still stood there and tried to trade with all of them...Wasn't the smartest idea granted the way my face looked the next day. Had I thought of boxing though, I would have covered up tight and shot right hands from a defensive guard at least. I guess Winky would probably survive a jumping with just a few scratches. :)

prolly so cause winky use that turtle shell

hemichromis
02-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Hello my fellow boxers!

I read a post in another forum that claimed that boxing would be useless is a bar brawl. I just wanted to know what you all thought of this concept.

so this was from a TKD page was it? or karate?

alot of these martial arts discount boxing under the philosophy that 'more is better'. this is obviously very wrong

in the average bar fight you will be somewhere between 1 and 2.5 feet from you opponent. this is too close to kick and is the most effective range of boxing.

grappling is effective but in abar where the opponent could have friends or there could be glass on the floor so again boxing rang is best.

in boxing you train to punch hard and even more critically; how to take a punch.
I have spent alot of time studying street defense and IMHO you must learn to hit hard, fast and accurately and you should be able to take a punch. these are taught best by boxing.Everything else is ancillary

Trick
02-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Boxing is the reason I survive in a street fight. Most martial artists, excluding the best, have no real FIGHT experience. Let's be honest, the goal of boxing is to hurt. Not that I go out trying to mess someone up, but in the end, it comes down to inflicting pain, and it's got a type of malice to it. Now I don't do any marial arts, so I can't really comment I suppose, but from the matches I've seen, the adreneline and intensity of a real FIGHT doesn't seem to be there. Just remember, there's no ref to push you apart when you clinch...

j
02-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Most martial artists, excluding the best, have no real FIGHT experience.

let's be honest, you don't know any real martial artists.

stop it now and i will let you get away with that bull****. just once though.

warriorsingh84'
02-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I can't say really for sure how effective boxing reallly is in a real fight since I have limited sparring experience and only spar like once a week. One thing for sure though, I don't think anyone can dispute, is that boxing definitely gives you balls to hold your own in the real world. It can turn a shy, insecure guy, into a fearless badass with consistent training. Not to mention, it helps prevent your pulse from quickening and fear from overwhelming you in a confrontation.

Trick
02-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Haha, ya that's true, I shoulda said that better. A real martial artist I'm sure could do well. What I meant was a kid who does karate on thursday nights cannot handle himself in a fight, at least in my experience. A real marital artist? No, I would not **** with him

Haha, btw, I take it then that you do practice some kinda marital art, if so what is it? While we're on the topic, I saw you mention that you do chinese boxing, I was wondering what the difference is, if that's not a stupid question.

Anyways, didn't mean to disrespect true martial artists,

Peace,
Trick

platinummatt!
02-23-2007, 07:31 PM
In Watch My Back, Geoff talks about traditional martial arts and how they haven***8217;t been adapted to today***8217;s world, as though they are too sacred to be touched, even though today***8217;s adversary is no longer a samurai on horseback.

I just took this quote from an article. This guy spent 10 years as a bouncer, and is ment to have had more than 300 streetfights. Hes a 6th dan black belt in Karate, and a 1st dan blackbelt in Judo, aswell as being a boxing instructor, and wrestling instructor ( I htink ) etc etc. when he started being a bouncer he realised that his karate techniques werent working, but he adapted them to work.

me2007
02-23-2007, 07:41 PM

how would you define a real martial artist?

j
02-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Haha, ya that's true, I shoulda said that better. A real martial artist I'm sure could do well. What I meant was a kid who does karate on thursday nights cannot handle himself in a fight, at least in my experience. A real marital artist? No, I would not **** with him

i hear ya bro. it's all good! no love lost here.

your typical "around the corner" tae kwon do or karate places aren't really known for creating great fighters. i mean, there are exceptions, but well, i think you know what i mean.

yeah bro, you would not want to **** with a real martial artist. just slapboxing with some of the guys better than me is scary. exciting and scary all rolled into one experience.

i would rather spit in mike tyson's face than challenge a few guys i've met.

Haha, btw, I take it then that you do practice some kinda marital art, if so what is it? While we're on the topic, I saw you mention that you do chinese boxing, I was wondering what the difference is, if that's not a stupid question.

not a stupid question at all. chinese boxing has a different means of power generation. it includes all of the regular boxing punches. it also includes low kicks, throws, pushes, and so on. it does not, however, have flying triple somersault back kicks. it is a practical art at heart.

dude, i'll just PM you so you can get an idea of what it is i do.

btw, no offence taken. its all good.

platinummatt!
02-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I htink Chinese boxing is what the guy I just quoted did. Sounds good

j
02-23-2007, 08:34 PM
how would you define a real martial artist?

a person who trains in a fighting art, whether traditional or untraditional, that has been pressure tested - aka unrehearsed, noncooperative sparring and is able to utilize the principles of whatever this person has been taught.

also, having a few streetfights in the bank helps enormously.

btw, boxers make great streetfighters.

I htink Chinese boxing is what the guy I just quoted did. Sounds good

yes, it is called chinese boxing by many as it resembles boxing very much in that it is mainly a punch orientated art with the same goal - to KO the other person. it is called xing yi.

http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/index.html

phallus
02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
a person who trains in a fighting art, whether traditional or untraditional, that has been pressure tested - aka unrehearsed, noncooperative sparring and is able to utilize the principles of whatever this person has been taught.

also, having a few streetfights in the bank helps enormously.

btw, boxers make great streetfighters.

streetfighting isn't like boxing, as a buddy once said to me when we were in a bar " this isn't a boxing ring ". street fights are very sloppy and it's usually 3 or 5 guys on one. last summer was the last time i was in a streetfight, i got jumped by 3 guys. the skills i learned in amateur boxing really saved my ass, i covered up pretty well and didn't take very much damage, and almost knocked one the guys the **** out.

a boxer definitely has an advantage over most dumb rednecks in a bar because they don't usually have the training or experience a boxer has - they don't know how to cover up, how to throw proper punches, or how to move their head

j
02-23-2007, 09:05 PM
dr filth, obviously a bar room isn't a boxing ring. what i meant is that boxers aren't afraid to get hit and train to hit. this, combined with simple streetwisdom, can make a dangerous streetfighter.

i certainly didn't mean bouncing around on your toes and using the pacing that boxing matches use in a street/bar fight.

you should know what i meant.

phallus
02-23-2007, 11:57 PM
dr filth, obviously a bar room isn't a boxing ring. what i meant is that boxers aren't afraid to get hit and train to hit. this, combined with simple streetwisdom, can make a dangerous streetfighter.

i certainly didn't mean bouncing around on your toes and using the pacing that boxing matches use in a street/bar fight.

you should know what i meant.

i wasn't cutting u, i posted that because that's what my buddy said when he was cutting me down, and later i saw he was right. i agreed with what u said, i was just adding my own experience. u fight different in a streetfight than with gloves on in a ring, but the skills u get from boxing will help u beat the **** out of muscle heads in bar

j
02-24-2007, 12:13 AM
dr filth, no prob, i figured we were on the same page.

i've actually noticed 2 trends from "streetfighters" - meaning guys who have fought a few times without recieving some training - they are either very wild or, interestingly, try to mimic boxers in a sense.

anyone else seem to notice this.

American_Ninja
02-24-2007, 12:20 AM
kicks are pretty useless in street/bar fights.

I have used kicks twice in street fights. A spinning back kick, landed flush into the guys gut. A jump kick, right to the face.

j
02-24-2007, 12:21 AM
i missed the part where someone said kicks are useless in a streetfight.

that person just doesn't know. :nonono:

American_Ninja
02-24-2007, 12:38 AM
i missed the part where someone said kicks are useless in a streetfight.

that person just doesn't know. :nonono:
No doubt, especially if you fightin with Itchi.

t-k-o
02-24-2007, 01:12 AM
whoever thinks that kicks are useless in a streetfight is a complete idiot...i know from experience that kicks can be the best thing you can use. A good boxer can box in a streetfight, but theres a good chance that he will get his ass kicked...when you're fighting someone, you cant just walk up and throw hands at them. you have to read them while you're fighting them and attack where they are'nt expecting it...

when i'm fighting, i like to stick to straight punches and low straight kicks. 9/10 people wont expect you to throw a combo like jab, jab, low kick(below the knees, straight out), cross... i have thrown that combo so many times and people get completely ****ed up from that kick. what you want to try to do is throw a few setup punches with the jabs while you're coming in, and when you have their attention on your hands...you throw that low kick, real fast. they will instinctively look down and leave their face wide open for the KO punch, the cross...street fighting is about incorporating all fighting styles into your attack.

boxing is useful in a streetfight, but if you matched two people equally skilled in boxing, but one of them was a kickboxer too, he would win easy...boxing is'nt **** in a streetfight unless you know how to incorporate it...:boxing:

platinummatt!
02-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Kicking can work in a streetfight but there are problems. Space. The face the kicking distance can be taken away. And the fact that most confrontations start at punching distance.

FeelTheA-Force
02-24-2007, 02:41 PM
So a boxer who gets himself in great shape and spends all his time training to throw fast hard punches and gets plenty of experience sparring would be useless against some fat drunk in a pub? Wow. whoever said that must be truly ignorant.

THIS IS THE BEST POST IN THE WHOLE THREAD

t-k-o
02-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Kicking can work in a streetfight but there are problems. Space. The face the kicking distance can be taken away. And the fact that most confrontations start at punching distance.
there are no problems with space when you use low straight kicks...big fancy high kicks wont do **** for you...

phallus
02-25-2007, 07:26 PM
dr filth, no prob, i figured we were on the same page.

i've actually noticed 2 trends from "streetfighters" - meaning guys who have fought a few times without recieving some training - they are either very wild or, interestingly, try to mimic boxers in a sense.
anyone else seem to notice this.

exactly, it's either looping punches with no defense or guys that fight a little like boxers. i know an older guy who spent 10 or 15 years of his early life in streetgangs, he never learned any boxing but damn he's a good fighter, he has his own way of blocking and slipping punches. i think some of these guys either learn form experience or have the natural instinct to be a good fighter

Bucktown Beast
02-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Its simply a matter of the situation. Theres no clear cut answer to this.

All Im saying is that a good boxer does not always have an advantage in the street people. 90% of the time you can't fight the same way in the street as you would in the ring. Theres so many variables and "ifs" in a brawl that suddenly breaks out in the street.

BmoreBrawler
02-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I would say, Boxing HELPs in a street brawl, but not to the point of a martial art.

j
02-25-2007, 11:14 PM
i know an older guy who spent 10 or 15 years of his early life in streetgangs, he never learned any boxing but damn he's a good fighter, he has his own way of blocking and slipping punches. i think some of these guys either learn form experience or have the natural instinct to be a good fighter

i know the kind. those are the kind of people that have to spend time on thinking how to defend oneself. some can be very dangerous. if they would make some use of the developed skills, they could make a nice living doing a certain jobs. however, i think mf doom rapped "you can't take the street out a street person."

Theres no clear cut answer to this.

there never is.

I would say, Boxing HELPs in a street brawl, but not to the point of a martial art.

and i would agree. however, if we are talking about a boxer who has 20 amateur fightes and a tae kwon do guy who has 20 point sparring first place trophies, i will put my money on the boxer.

btw, i'm not trying to **** on tkd, just saying point sparring tourny's are useless. me, and the boxing community in general, do harder **** for practice. or fun.

BmoreBrawler
02-25-2007, 11:32 PM
TKD is garbage. If you said a Karate guy vs a boxer, it would go the other way. I agree that a boxer with good forward movement could beat a TKD guy.

j
02-26-2007, 12:22 AM
TKD is garbage. If you said a Karate guy vs a boxer, it would go the other way. I agree that a boxer with good forward movement could beat a TKD guy.

i'm just trying to be diplomatic, bro. i'm sure that there are at least a handfull of tkd people who can throw down. i don't know of any though.

oh yeah, and this:

there are no problems with space when you use low straight kicks...big fancy high kicks wont do **** for you...

i agree with. the waist line is the cutoff point for serious practical application. however, i do know of 2 people who have used them(high kicks) in real fights. i will briefly mention it because it was unusual to see.

one person, an old friend of mine drop kicked a guy onto the hood of a car which, i believe, rendered him unconscious.

the other one, another old friend, used several high kicks and even jump spinning back kicks effectively. as robert ripley would say, "believe it or not." this guy fought nearly a dozen people single handedly and not only held his own but manage to beat the living **** out of them and especially guy who started it all with a ground and pound. and these were grown men, not kids. this fight, which i was restrained from participating in(hell, i was only 12 or 13 years old), was the single greatest one-against-many fight i haver ever witnessed. i have never seen anything on video or the net that could even come close to rivaling it either. not even a baseball bat to the head slowed him down. he is an amazing fighter. wish i knew where he is at these days. you had to be there to see it otherwise you just wouldn't believe it.

believe it or not. i'm just glad i had seen it. btw, he was a kickboxer.