View Full Version : All About The Jab

j
02-22-2007, 12:48 AM
i made this thread to see what other fellows who train in the pugulistic arts view the jab. begginers and trained fighters feel free to post so we can compare ideas/training methodologies.

i usually split the jab into 5 catagories:

- the defencive jab, meant to keep an opponent away while he is attacking you. used as a spacer. many boxers use these to help escape a troubling position.

- the range finder, it's more of a measurer for a big cross, overhand, or straight. tszyu used these a lot.

- the snappy jab, used to upset and frustrate an oppenent as well as score points at a safer range. these can soften up an opponent for a ko. ali's most basic weapon.

- the neutralizing jab, is like punching a punch almost. it will change the trajectory of an incoming punch.

- and finally the power jab, my personal favorite. rarely used, but effective as hell if trained. wladimir klitschko mixes power jabs with snappier ones when he is being particularly offensive.

please discuss. i'd love to know if any other boxers have been taught the depth of the jab and to what extent.

Trick
02-22-2007, 01:40 AM
For defense I don't use that jab that much (maybe not as much as I should). I'm personally all about the range finding and snapping jab. As far as the power jab, how do you really throw that? I feel some good power come out of my snapping jabs, when I get good shoulder movement in. Is there something else to do to augment power in the jab?

Verstyle
02-22-2007, 01:43 AM
and 1 of the most important u forgot.the jab to get into the taller fighter.I guess u can call it the get in jab.

platinummatt!
02-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeh this is a good division of jabs. They should all be trained. Trick you can turn into the jab a bit

The Raging Bull
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I hardly ever use the jab for defence to be honest. I slip punches well and use a bob and weave technique, which obviously needs a little tweaking, but all in good time.

I mainly use a snapping jab because the main aim of boxers in the amateurs is to score points and this is a quick and easy way to do it once you have got your snapping jab just right.

I also like to use it to open an opponent up for the straight.

My jab is arguably my most perfected punch.

BrooklynBomber
02-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Jab was the first punch I learned and it was the harddest for me.

Trick
02-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Turn into it? Well basically I'm always turning my shoulder in my "snapping" jab, so I'm not sure what else I could do to get more power on it that wouldn't leave me open.

j
02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
As far as the power jab, how do you really throw that? I feel some good power come out of my snapping jabs, when I get good shoulder movement in. Is there something else to do to augment power in the jab?

yes, there is something else.

one thing you mention is shoulder movement. my guess is that you are talking about a horizontal rotation here.

don't forget about the vertical. this, is the real hard part for most people it seems.

BrooklynBomber
02-22-2007, 08:13 PM
yes, there is something else.

one thing you mention is shoulder movement. my guess is that you are talking about a horizontal rotation here.

don't forget about the vertical. this, is the real hard part for most people it seems.

Oh, yeah, Wlad does it with his power jab.

j
02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh, yeah, Wlad does it with his power jab

i think i know what you are referring to. is it the way he somewhat chops down onto an opponents gaurd? that is, physically, the employment of the vertical circle.

a nice power jab is one of my fighting style's main specialties. that's one of the differences between the boxing i do and standard american boxing.

BTW, wladimir OWNS the jab. that thing is like a machine gun, and sometimes even like a cannon. if wladimir polished his micromechanics, he would likely KO opponents with his jab alone.

the verticle circle is more micromechanics.
----------

so, how do some of your coaches view the jab or mechanics of? i mean, besides the fact that it is the most important fundamental offensive technique.

kayjay
02-22-2007, 11:08 PM
i think i know what you are referring to. is it the way he somewhat chops down onto an opponents gaurd? that is, physically, the employment of the vertical circle.

a nice power jab is one of my fighting style's main specialties. that's one of the differences between the boxing i do and standard american boxing.

BTW, wladimir OWNS the jab. that thing is like a machine gun, and sometimes even like a cannon. if wladimir polished his micromechanics, he would likely KO opponents with his jab alone.

----------

so, how do some of your coaches view the jab or mechanics of? i mean, besides the fact that it is the most important fundamental offensive technique.

j can you explain a bit better what you mean by 'vertical circle'. Thanks I like this division. It is more strategies for using the jab than it is techniques of throwing the jab. You could make a thread for each.

BrooklynBomber
02-22-2007, 11:11 PM

----------

thats exactly what I am talking about. First time I saw it, I was like WTF? is he pawing that ****, cause I was never taught to throw it like that. But then I saw just how effective it is for him and realised that it just his own thing.
Also, I was taught on how to charge my punches, when if I throw a charged jab, I would bend in my cross shoulder a little and then throw tre jab. Same went for cross, but vice versa.

j
02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
j can you explain a bit better what you mean by 'vertical circle'. Thanks I like this division. It is more strategies for using the jab than it is techniques of throwing the jab. You could make a thread for each.

the verticle circle is a basic concept in chinese boxing. western boxing is very big on using the horizontal circle(swivel of the hips) to increase power. however, it does seem to neglect the verticle circle except for the uppercut.

right now i am not in the right frame of mind to be able to explain it clearly, however, if you really want to explore it, PM me and i will try to direct you to some sources that may help clarify.

j
02-23-2007, 12:29 AM
thats exactly what I am talking about. First time I saw it, I was like WTF? is he pawing that ****, cause I was never taught to throw it like that. But then I saw just how effective it is for him and realised that it just his own thing.
Also, I was taught on how to charge my punches, when if I throw a charged jab, I would bend in my cross shoulder a little and then throw tre jab. Same went for cross, but vice versa.

i know what you mean. i was like damn, did he just chop dude's arm off?

btw kayjay, that chopping motion, is really a product of what is called the verticle circle. that chopping motion, combined with carefully trained micromovement can be extremely powerfull. the difference between a jab and a chop is physically obvious. but what the rest of the body doing is extremely important in understanding how to generate more power off of the jab.

SquareCircle
02-23-2007, 01:24 AM
i used to punch out until muscular fatigue on my left arm with 2 sets of ankle weights on my left arm, maintaining proper jab technique, turning it over etc. steppin into it with those weights on your arm will make those punching muscles real sore. many here will disagree with me and tell me this training method is the way to **** your shoulder up, but i have the hardest jab of anyone ive ever boxed with, so i disagree.

eazy_mas
05-12-2007, 10:52 AM
what about Hashim Rahman jab?

Darkstar
05-12-2007, 06:08 PM
what about Hashim Rahman jab?

Best example of a "power" jab. A prime Larry Holmes.

Darkstranger
05-12-2007, 06:18 PM
i used to punch out until muscular fatigue on my left arm with 2 sets of ankle weights on my left arm, maintaining proper jab technique, turning it over etc. steppin into it with those weights on your arm will make those punching muscles real sore. many here will disagree with me and tell me this training method is the way to **** your shoulder up, but i have the hardest jab of anyone ive ever boxed with, so i disagree.

Wouldn't that only improve stamina, and help you to keep your left hand up for longer periods of time. I couldn't imagine how that technique would actually give you any extra power, but if it works for you then that's all good. That excercise is probably strengthening your rotatary cuff muscles, the collection of muscles and tendons that hold your shoulder together.

Explosive kettlebell movements and the clean & jerk movements are very good for increasing power in all sports, and contrary to popular belief they won't bulk you up.

p.s. What was your finger injury?

SquareCircle
05-12-2007, 06:25 PM
add the lazy jab. well, the lazy jab is more of a combination than a punch but there's a few different types of lazy jabs.

first one is a rangefinder then a power jab

three quick rangefinders is the basic lazy jab, very effective tool

SquareCircle
05-12-2007, 06:32 PM
p.s. What was your finger injury?

You live, and you learn. I was so stupid for doing this but in Vancouver my roommate got a knife pulled on him right in front of me. I was carrying a bag of groceries, as my friend gave the guy his wallet I grabbed the hand he was wielding the knife with. At first, I thought I had the situation under control but he planted his feet and pulled back as hard as he could and I lost grip, sliced my little finger on my right hand in the process. He did that and I gasped and looked at my hand as the ****er took off with my friend's wallet.

When someone pulls a knife on you, don't try to be a hero. Just give em the ****in' money. I mean, unless you're stupid enough to have a couple thousand on you or something.

SquareCircle
05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Another thing for any beginners. Turn the jab over. It is so important. Not only does turning this punch over, combined with tucking your chin down, protect you from right hooks to the chin...But it also adds a spiral effect to the punch, which will definately cut your man regardless of his skin color if you turn over a snappy hard jab.

Darkstranger
05-12-2007, 06:54 PM
You live, and you learn. I was so stupid for doing this but in Vancouver my roommate got a knife pulled on him right in front of me. I was carrying a bag of groceries, as my friend gave the guy his wallet I grabbed the hand he was wielding the knife with. At first, I thought I had the situation under control but he planted his feet and pulled back as hard as he could and I lost grip, sliced my little finger on my right hand in the process. He did that and I gasped and looked at my hand as the ****er took off with my friend's wallet.

When someone pulls a knife on you, don't try to be a hero. Just give em the ****in' money. I mean, unless you're stupid enough to have a couple thousand on you or something.

God damn! Thats deep bro! Good luck with getting back into the swing of things bro!

Jab89
05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
I like the jab for power and snap I mix them up and always catch people offguard its my best punch and the first punch I ever knocked some one down with... Its the most effective and usefull in tough fights and should be among every boxers main priorities.

James78
05-31-2007, 07:13 PM
De la Hoya used to throw a really good powerful jab, I remember him basically destroying a guy with it but can't remember who it was.