View Full Version : best things to do before fights/tourneys

coreywash
02-21-2007, 12:30 PM
i was just wondering from boxers that have more boxing experience...whats the best thing(s) to do before a fight? i have golden gloves tournament this today...the tournament is til saturday...hopefully i can win my weight division...all day i've just been watching winky wright fights and trying to prepare myself mentally...what else is there that i can do to prepare?

Chris46
02-21-2007, 12:39 PM
try not to overindulge!! shadowbox at every oppurtinuty, piccture ur opponents cumn at u and think of wat ur gona do if "this or that" happens. think out a strategy, r u gona stay on the inside or u gona jab him alot and find ur distance where he cnt hit u. remember its unlikely ur gona win by nockout, hit nd move

fraidycat
02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Pray.

Seriously.

Pray, meditate, sit on your roof and contemplate the soul's exile on earth, or whatever Gnostic **** trips your trigger. If you're going to GG in a few days, then you have the skills; you have the muscle memory as down as it's going to get for this fight. Now, you've gotta not let your brain **** you over. God, or Allah, or your spirit guides, or Mars the God of War, whoever you pray to, will help you here.

Get calm.

I'm not just proselytizing; if I could do anything over again before my first fight, I'd have prayed more. Being calm on the inside and pumped on the outside would've helped a lot more than being pumped up on the inside and calm on the outside.

DA1CATAS
02-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Think about Gettin the job done

Southpaw Stinger
02-21-2007, 02:11 PM
hopefully you've got yourself in great shape. Get plenty of rest, stay calm and when the time comes get the job done.

boxing4ever
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
i was just wondering from boxers that have more boxing experience...whats the best thing(s) to do before a fight? i have golden gloves tournament this today...the tournament is til saturday...hopefully i can win my weight division...all day i've just been watching winky wright fights and trying to prepare myself mentally...what else is there that i can do to prepare?

how long have you been boxing? how long did you train before your first fight?

.::EnRiQuE::.
02-21-2007, 11:09 PM
i just try to relax. i'm normally a person taht can get over anxious so i like to listen to music so that i dont think about it too much. i just try and focus on wat i need to do to be succesful inthe bout and relax.

once i start warming up and stretching out is when it rly hits me and i get slightly anxious/nervous.

PureMvp
02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
just do what calms you down the most..

Rockin'
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Its best to come to terms with what your real abilities are sooner rather than later. You can do and say whatever you want to before a fight, but once that bell rings there is no lieing. Its not what you do right before a fight that counts. Its what you have done for the months prior in preparation for this moment thaqt will count. If you have done your work and paid your dues you should just be yourself before a fight. It only matters after that bell rings..................Rockin':boxing:

coreywash
02-22-2007, 01:43 AM
how long have you been boxing? how long did you train before your first fight?

i've been boxing 7 months...im still amateur so i fight whenever there's a tournament...but i fought at golden gloves a couple hours ago and i lost by decision..everyone told me i won and i knew it but it's all good...i'll post it up on youtube or somewhere when i get a copy of the fight tomorrow...lol i know one thing that sucked...usually we go 3 two minute rounds...since the fights didnt start til 7 pm and they wanted to be done by 10 pm they made all of the rounds 45 seconds a piece except for the open fighters...thats wack because you really cant box the way you want, but im not even mad i use that as motivation to keep me going..

coreywash
02-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Its best to come to terms with what your real abilities are sooner rather than later. You can do and say whatever you want to before a fight, but once that bell rings there is no lieing. Its not what you do right before a fight that counts. Its what you have done for the months prior in preparation for this moment thaqt will count. If you have done your work and paid your dues you should just be yourself before a fight. It only matters after that bell rings..................Rockin':boxing:

thats real talk

Trick
02-22-2007, 01:46 AM
What the hell? They can just do that? That's Bull**** man.

coreywash
02-22-2007, 01:49 AM
What the hell? They can just do that? That's Bull**** man.

huh was that message to me about the 45 second rounds?

Trick
02-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Ya, that sucks man, they just decide to shorten the rounds... I really didn't think they were allowed to do that and still call it an official fight.

coreywash
02-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Ya, that sucks man, they just decide to shorten the rounds... I really didn't think they were allowed to do that and still call it an official fight.

yeah it sucks...idk what they be doing...they also be trippin at local tournaments...im still novice and i've fought against guys who should've been open...one guy had 12 fights the other is now 23-2 and i just fought him in october..the way its supposed to be in texas is once you have 8 wins or 10 fights all together you automatically go open, but thats what i heard idk..some of the organizers of the tourneys have close relationships with coaches and they allow them to get away with stuff...the sport of boxing is corrupt

Trick
02-22-2007, 02:13 AM
That's bull**** man, tough luck. Losses in the amateurs happen, they're short, the best fighter doesn't really always win. I haven't had a single ranked fight yet, but from what I can tell, the style of amateur fights takes a little getting used to, it's not like the boxing we see on TV. Ah well, don't worry man, I look forward to seeing the vid,

Peace,
Trick

boxing4ever
02-22-2007, 02:44 AM
yeah it sucks...idk what they be doing...they also be trippin at local tournaments...im still novice and i've fought against guys who should've been open...one guy had 12 fights the other is now 23-2 and i just fought him in october..the way its supposed to be in texas is once you have 8 wins or 10 fights all together you automatically go open, but thats what i heard idk..some of the organizers of the tourneys have close relationships with coaches and they allow them to get away with stuff...the sport of boxing is corrupt

how long have you been boxing alltogether? or did you start competing after only 7 months of training?

coreywash
02-22-2007, 04:52 AM
how long have you been boxing alltogether? or did you start competing after only 7 months of training?

i have been boxing all together 7 months...i was only with my coach a month before i had my first fight...i just wanted to see where i was at and how good i would do...

coreywash
02-22-2007, 04:54 AM
That's bull**** man, tough luck. Losses in the amateurs happen, they're short, the best fighter doesn't really always win. I haven't had a single ranked fight yet, but from what I can tell, the style of amateur fights takes a little getting used to, it's not like the boxing we see on TV. Ah well, don't worry man, I look forward to seeing the vid,

Peace,
Trick

yeah i dont really like how amateur boxing is...you dont even get points for knockdowns or standing 8 counts...and yeah i agree with what u said about the best fighter doesnt always win in amateurs...

Rockin'
02-22-2007, 11:48 PM
45 second rounds in a golden gloves tourny is crazy. What the hell are they thinking sdown there.

I remember my first jo tourny, I fought at 11 in the morning and then again at like 11:30 at night the same day. Ofcourse they no longer allow you to fight twice in a 24 hour period but we were fighting well past midnight. If I was the coach and they told me that my boy would be rolling for only 45 second rounds I would have given them alot of trouble. I would tell them that my boy aint trained to fight no 45 seconds, hes trained to fight a full round.

Time restraints or not, its either 1 min, 1-1/2 min or 2 minute rounds. I used to fight 3 minute rounds in the open class but they have pretty much done away with that aswell, which isnt bad for the youth.

45 seconds or 2 minutes, whatever the round duration was as long as you gave what you had and left it in the ring then you have nothing to be ashamed of in losing. As I have said before, you are stepping up and throwing where sooooooo many just talk ****.

45 seconds aint **** to see who the better man is!!!!...............Rockin':boxing:

boxing4ever
02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
yeah i dont really like how amateur boxing is...you dont even get points for knockdowns or standing 8 counts...and yeah i agree with what u said about the best fighter doesnt always win in amateurs...

how much did you weigh in at? and how much did your opponent weigh in at?

coreywash
02-23-2007, 04:29 AM
how much did you weigh in at? and how much did your opponent weigh in at?

lol yeah another thing that was funny was the weight bracket...my weight bracket was 152-164...my guy weighed in at 158...i was 162...he was like 5'10 or 11 and i'm 6'2...i was killin dude..oh well everyone that saw the fight knows i won...:boxing:

boxing4ever
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
lol yeah another thing that was funny was the weight bracket...my weight bracket was 152-164...my guy weighed in at 158...i was 162...he was like 5'10 or 11 and i'm 6'2...i was killin dude..oh well everyone that saw the fight knows i won...:boxing:
that right there is why i dont want to get into competition any time soon i weigh 160 and im 5''7' but even if i get down to 150 or so ill still be fighting guys that are way taller than me and fighting someone with a reach advantage over you is very hard:ugh:

fraidycat
02-23-2007, 02:18 PM
fighting someone with a reach advantage over you is very hard:ugh:

What you lack in reach you have to make up in balls. Get in close and stay loose.

coreywash
02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
What you lack in reach you have to make up in balls. Get in close and stay loose.

true words...plus once u get in close bang the body and the hands will drop then you can get at the head