View Full Version : After 3 years of boxing

bobweaver
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
and sparring 3 days a week 4-5 rounds per day, and never taking a rest from boxing in those 3 years, I notice my nose has changed, and my face has changed also i sometimes slur my words WTF, i never used to do this, i have only been boxing 3 years how the hell can i be slurring words, I mean i maybe its all in my head seeing as im the one who notices im doing it? I really dont think i can be already showing signs of being punchy, I do get hit a lot though, only had 11 fights so far. Anyone else who boxed for a bit notice themselves talk weird? Also my trainer told me im gonna be sipping soup through a spoon soon i think he was jokin but his look on his face was serious. I only been doing this 3 years damn.

Chipper
02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
see a doctor.

sad story

Southpaw Stinger
02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
my nose is slightly punched up but other than Im fine. 7 years boxing this summer and luckily my health is still great. I'd see a doctor if your showing those sort of signs already.

boxing4ever
02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
thats the thing that ****s me up when i think about it i have a very good mouthguard and im noticing my bottom set of my teeth are starting to get messed up and when you listen to pro boxers during interviews they talk very slow depending on who it is the one pro i know that took alot of hits and still talks normal is arturro gatti

boxing4ever
02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
and sparring 3 days a week 4-5 rounds per day, and never taking a rest from boxing in those 3 years, I notice my nose has changed, and my face has changed also i sometimes slur my words WTF, i never used to do this, i have only been boxing 3 years how the hell can i be slurring words, I mean i maybe its all in my head seeing as im the one who notices im doing it? I really dont think i can be already showing signs of being punchy, I do get hit a lot though, only had 11 fights so far. Anyone else who boxed for a bit notice themselves talk weird? Also my trainer told me im gonna be sipping soup through a spoon soon i think he was jokin but his look on his face was serious. I only been doing this 3 years damn.another thing that pisses me off is im only 16 and i dont want to be 25 one day looking back like damn those early years ****ed up my face or teeth or somthing similar to that anyone else have a little fear of a bad outcome of your health after quiting?

Young Legend
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Keep your hands up

American_Ninja
02-19-2007, 07:43 PM
and sparring 3 days a week 4-5 rounds per day, and never taking a rest from boxing in those 3 years, I notice my nose has changed, and my face has changed also i sometimes slur my words WTF, i never used to do this, i have only been boxing 3 years how the hell can i be slurring words, I mean i maybe its all in my head seeing as im the one who notices im doing it? I really dont think i can be already showing signs of being punchy, I do get hit a lot though, only had 11 fights so far. Anyone else who boxed for a bit notice themselves talk weird? Also my trainer told me im gonna be sipping soup through a spoon soon i think he was jokin but his look on his face was serious. I only been doing this 3 years damn.

Quit boxing. If you're having symptoms now, whats it gonna be like in 5 years. If you're not a pro, I would give it up. Health is more important than
boxing. Even if you are a pro.

boxing4ever
02-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Quit boxing. If you're having symptoms now, whats it gonna be like in 5 years. If you're not a pro, I would give it up. Health is more important than
boxing. Even if you are a pro.
its not that easy to give up boxing man you cant just stop its almost impossible:boxing: :ugh:

BmoreBrawler
02-19-2007, 07:59 PM
its not that easy to give up boxing man you cant just stop its almost impossible:boxing: :ugh:

Its depressing too, I know cause I did it.

boxing4ever
02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Its depressing too, I know cause I did it.
why did you quit? and how old where you when you did?

Evil_Meat
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
stop boxing and goto a doctor to be evaluated. IF u have any brain damage your brain can fix itself up pretty well if u stop taking shots to the head on a regular basis. If ur slurring is just slight then id say theres a good chance of it going away over time

BmoreBrawler
02-19-2007, 08:48 PM
19 yrs old, after about 5 months of boxing. A badass concussion has put me on the shelf for a while. I was training to make the school team but theres no way I'd be able to spar and be able to physically do the schoolwork required. Kinda messes with concentration. Also, I think im concussion prone because I got it pretty early in a sparring match.

HANDZ
02-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Get a cat scan on the brain and go to a neurologist,If you insurance cover's these kind's of fee's then i would get one every 6-12 month's if i was you,but these are early sign's of getting hit in the head to much and although they might not be severe at the moment the physical side of the contact sport always put's you at bigger risk and you have to always prepare your helth first and for most,i have gotten 2 concusion's so far in my life and my head is not the same i get headache's alot and i get mood swing's ,that's why i stick to light sparring and what not until i feel that i can either contend or i just put it down .

boxing4ever
02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
19 yrs old, after about 5 months of boxing. A badass concussion has put me on the shelf for a while. I was training to make the school team but theres no way I'd be able to spar and be able to physically do the schoolwork required. Kinda messes with concentration. Also, I think im concussion prone because I got it pretty early in a sparring match.
omg man thats messed up did you have headgear on? how hard were you hit? and where were you hit? this scares the piss out of me omg i never knew you could get a concussion while sparring i thought the 16oz gloves and the headgear would secure you but i guess not:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

SquareCircle
02-19-2007, 10:57 PM
that's what makes this sport, this sport. a life is sacrificed, between four ropes. boxing is all about sacrifice.

and I don't know if I believe the thread starter is an actual fighter, I think it might just be some alt...

boxer2k5
02-19-2007, 11:00 PM
u punchy from sparring
u prob was getting hit too much

BmoreBrawler
02-19-2007, 11:41 PM
omg man thats messed up did you have headgear on? how hard were you hit? and where were you hit? this scares the piss out of me omg i never knew you could get a concussion while sparring i thought the 16oz gloves and the headgear would secure you but i guess not:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

yeah, I had really good new heardgear. The other guy was using some old ass title gloves, im sure the padding was too thin to really offer protection but whatever. I was hit hard, clean shots, but I wasnt going to quit for anything so I sat in there and took it. The thing is, you get really used to taking shots and the pain is minimal so I allowed myself to be hit more than I shouldve.

boxing4ever
02-19-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah, I had really good new heardgear. The other guy was using some old ass title gloves, im sure the padding was too thin to really offer protection but whatever. I was hit hard, clean shots, but I wasnt going to quit for anything so I sat in there and took it. The thing is, you get really used to taking shots and the pain is minimal so I allowed myself to be hit more than I shouldve.thats scary man how big was the guy? i swear this is scaring me man im 16 years old and dont want to look back and be like wow i wish i could box still but i cant now because of a head injury man:ugh: :nonono:

BmoreBrawler
02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
well. im 5-7 140lbs (fight at 135) and he was like 5-9 150-55.

Verstyle
02-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Keep your hands up

exactly what I was going to say.ahaha. u dont have to be cute like roy jones with your hands down. roy is gifted

eazy_mas
02-20-2007, 12:38 AM
that one of the reason i want to have a better defense and be come a god couterpuncher

Dyl-G
02-20-2007, 01:47 AM
i think my speech has always been slurred so i dont trip haha, everyone tells me i mumble a lot. soits coo

Hunna
02-20-2007, 07:55 AM

you doing too much sparring bro.... u havnt giving ur brain a rest, if u have sparred solidly for 3 years

Hunna
02-20-2007, 07:57 AM

my head has felt out of sorts a few times, i am sure almost every boxer goes thru it, all ya do to combat it is rest it up. rest worked wonders for me.

Bucktown Beast
02-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Sparring hard 3 days a week can take its toll. Plus every person's body is different, some take punches better than others. And 11 amateur fights is a lot more than you think. Thats twice as many as I've had, and my nose has spread out and gotten bigger then it was before I started fighting. Its becoming a tad noticeable to me and kinda makes me not wanna block with my face anymore.

I used to slur my speech for a day or two after hard sparring but it went away. If you are slurring just on a regular day, then I would seriously reconsider fighting. You can look at many pros, some end their career and are still sharp as a tack, and others wind up like Meldrick Taylor. Your head/brain may not be able to handle the punches.

Also some people are predisposed to pug nose too. Tommy Hearns, Jake Lamotta and Marciano's noses were splattered...while Ray Leonard, Terry Norris, DeLaHoya, Holyfield etc, have little difference in appearance of their nose from when they first started fighting.

hemichromis
02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
you may be imagining it! that is far more common than you think

Southpaw16
02-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Your problem is the three years with NO REST. Like any sport, it is important to have an offseason in boxing. There should be a couple of months every year where you are not doing any sparring, and also going a lot lighter on things such as bag and mitt work. Perhaps even stopping the bag and mitt work for a couple of months is a good idea as well. Obviously the time off sparring will give your brain and body time to recover, but even the bag and mitt work you need time off because it is very strenuous on the joints because it is soo high impact. So your problem is that your doing this for 12 months a year every year.

BrooklynBomber
02-20-2007, 03:01 PM
5 years of boxing also changed my face a bit.

BrooklynBomber
02-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Sparring hard 3 days a week can take its toll. Plus every person's body is different, some take punches better than others. And 11 amateur fights is a lot more than you think. Thats twice as many as I've had, and my nose has spread out and gotten bigger then it was before I started fighting. Its becoming a tad noticeable to me and kinda makes me not wanna block with my face anymore.

I used to slur my speech for a day or two after hard sparring but it went away. If you are slurring just on a regular day, then I would seriously reconsider fighting. You can look at many pros, some end their career and are still sharp as a tack, and others wind up like Meldrick Taylor. Your head/brain may not be able to handle the punches.

Also some people are predisposed to pug nose too. Tommy Hearns, Jake Lamotta and Marciano's noses were splattered...while Ray Leonard, Terry Norris, DeLaHoya, Holyfield etc, have little difference in appearance of their nose from when they first started fighting.

Same thing was happening to me as well, but it was usually after sparring or a fight and it was due to intense work out that I was getting and english being my second language.

boxing4ever
02-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Same thing was happening to me as well, but it was usually after sparring or a fight and it was due to intense work out that I was getting and english being my second language.
whats your first?

DA1CATAS
02-21-2007, 12:51 PM
just stop boxing.. your already showing bad signs.........I'll prally be the only jerk that lookied at it like this... But you do all that sparring and only fought 11 times in 3 years? 11 times?

Nazgul666
02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow. I haven't been at this for too long. My trainer was Golden Gloves, was an Army Champion and then fought professionally in Europe. He is now 40. He looks and sounds great. I train regularly and have been sparring once or twice a week. This has me in the best shape of my life plus I am really learning the art of boxing. I've gotten some headaces from a few shots and bloodied nose but I can honestly say this. The day I slur even one word its over. That will be it for real sparring and I'll go back to pure training for fitness. End of story. The brain is just way too important. It might seem like a ***** outlook but if you're married and have two great kids like I have, its the only choice.

GR@Y SKIEZ
02-21-2007, 02:46 PM
the only time i slur my words, is when i eat a fist full of pills and drink a bottle of liquor......and i imagine that, thats worse for your brain then getting hit in the end....but either way, i dont really give a ****......self destruction is a hobby of mine.

IronNick
03-18-2007, 06:52 PM
this is the thing that determines your dedication to the sport. but if you start slurring words you need to give it a rest. but look at evander holyfield. he slurs words really badly and he is still fighting and will be a contender soon!

potatoes
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM

It is sad to say, but stories like this are very common. Boxing is a dangerous sport but people in the sport don't seem to take these dangers very seriously until something bad happens. It is entirely possible and indeed has happened many times that young guys have gotten neurological damage in a relatively short peroid in boxing. Judging from my oberservation some boxing clubs are more dangerous than others simply because they do not provide proper training. If you are easy to hit you don't belong in the ring. If you don't have good defensive skills you will be easy to hit. Responsible trainers do not allow any kids to spar until they can prove they are able to defend themselves. It is about time that some of these reckless and irresponsible trainers were held accountable.

shawn_
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree. Alot of trainers just throw kids to the dogs. Let gym wars happen, and all that bad stuff. Training is just that. Training.