View Full Version : Is boxing the only sport...

Bucktown Beast
02-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Where "practice" is mostly done at the same level of intensity as the real thing?

Meaning sparring...Sparring in my gym is just as hardcore, wild and violent as any real match. I've gotten more busted up sparring, than in any amateur fight or exhibition. And I was thinking about it and all other sports execute practice at about a 50 or 60% level of intenstiy as the real thing. Baseball, football, basketball, wrestling etc...Yea some sparring can be light ofcourse and have less contact, but from what I see and have been involved in, thats not the preferred level of intensity.

I've played every sport and practicing football for instance is done a whole lot easier and lighter than a real game. Nobody unleashes vicious tackles on each other in practice...running backs dont barrel people over in practice.... QBs don't get knocked out in practice. In other words, people aren't supposed to get HURT in practice and go all out.

Wrestling practice too...It was mostly executing drills, and your wrestling partner was there to help one another get better. You went through the motions at a composed and paced level. Didn't go wild.

But boxing aint like that though. Just a thought that occurred to me...

whatevathehell
02-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I dont know if it is but it shouldnt be. somebody once told me perfect practice makes for perfect performance for the real thing and if you aint doing it right at full speed what makes it true that youll perform at a super level for the real deal.

platinummatt!
02-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Shot put.......

Bucktown Beast
02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I dont know if it is but it shouldnt be. somebody once told me perfect practice makes for perfect performance for the real thing and if you aint doing it right at full speed what makes it true that youll perform at a super level for the real deal.

Not sure I follow, you say it "shouldnt be" but go on to say that if its not done right at full speed?

I always found myself thinking much better when practicing at a slower pace...as probably does anyone. When Im in an all out war in sparring, I find myself getting brutal and sometimes wild. Not thinking as much either. When you are brawling, you aren't thinking. If someone just wants to brawl and always be a brawler, then going hardcore in practice may pan out to be the same exact thing in a real fight. But to really learn the sweet science, I think alot of sparring should be done at a measured level. Your mind and body is going to absorb much better when you can calculate situations and movements in your head. The brain will eventually get more advanced and grow to move on to the higher levels of fighting.

NFL players may train hard, but practice real easy...but it obviously doesnt effect their real game time performance.

LOLORSKATES
02-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I think it's more of a mentality thing as well.

BmoreBrawler
02-18-2007, 08:17 PM
sparring is only as hardcore as the real thing though because Boxing is the most ignorant sport. Done right It could be as well plotted out as football training I think.

cdowd2
02-18-2007, 08:22 PM
High amounts of gym wars can only shorten a fighters career. For boxing the wear and tear a fighter endures takes place in the gym, in the preparation. That said, there is a big difference between an intense and competitive sparring session that is benefical to both fighters and a sparring session that is over the top wild where both fighters are trying to knock each other out.

mgkirkpatrick
02-18-2007, 08:31 PM
sparring should be a drill to improve and only that. going all out in sparring doesnt give u much of a chance to practice and learn with a clear mind.

dario
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
No every sport is like boxing. You don't give it your all in boxing when sparring, you have to know when to stop hitting the other guy, same with football. You can hit the offense, but don't use your heavy hits. Practice games in football can be sometimes tougher than the games (I know from experience) and same with basketball. When playing practice games in bball, everyone gives it their best but they never throw any flagrant fouls. In baseball, well that game is never intense. Soccer practice games, players give it their all.

Bucktown Beast
02-18-2007, 09:01 PM
High amounts of gym wars can only shorten a fighters career. For boxing the wear and tear a fighter endures takes place in the gym, in the preparation. That said, there is a big difference between an intense and competitive sparring session that is benefical to both fighters and a sparring session that is over the top wild where both fighters are trying to knock each other out.

Agreed. I feel that just that has shortened my boxing life and drained my desire for training. Been at this for 5 years now and 10 times out of 10, when my trainer puts me in there with someone trained by someone else, I'm expected to go to war...and I do. If he puts me in their with one of my teammates whos at the same caliber as me, we start out easy then it inevitably just turns to a war. Almost no win situation. Only time I get to go easy, is when Im in there with a smaller or inexperienced guy where I can just work on my thinking and movement etc. Now that I'm older, I'm finding the pain/soreness after these "training" wars is becoming rather unbearable.

sparring should be a drill to improve and only that.
Well said. That notion however is completely out the window at lots of gyms. Wish it was more like that...I'm sure I would look forward to training much more if sparring was like that.

j
02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
well, mma and the various forms of martial arts comps should be lumped together with boxing as well. and by martial arts comps, i don't mean the ***** point sparring **** where the "fighters" basically tap eachother. i mean mma events like pride, as well as san shou/leitai and kickboxing.

Sparring in my gym is just as hardcore, wild and violent as any real match.

sparring should not really be wild unless its particular purpose is for dealing with a wild attacker or streetfighter. fighters who look more wild than calculated are likely to be less trained. sparring a person who is "wild" is good for practice, but it is certainly not something i would strive to work on too much.

sparring should be a drill to improve and only that. going all out in sparring doesnt give u much of a chance to practice and learn with a clear mind.

there is a difference between a drill and a sparring session. drills will be more cooperative and repetitious. sparring, whether lighter or harder in contact, are non cooperative.

practicing certain drills will often lead you into a light sparring mode naturally.

BmoreBrawler
02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Is that Shay Doron in your sig?

j
02-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Is that Shay Doron in your sig?

why yes it is. one of the best defensive players in the game. my personal favorite college player.

BmoreBrawler
02-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I go to maryland, thats why. I was at the UMD/Duke game today.

j
02-19-2007, 12:59 AM
cool.

i watched the game on espn i think. could've been fox sports network.

the terps started out with a great record, but have been losing a bit lately.

a few things pop into my mind as to why they have lost a few games.

passing! pass the goddamn ball to doron or toliver. coleman, and langhorn especially are ballhogs. always trying to force shots and be the star of the game.

they need to get a better passing game as they keep missing the open people. every game, i see 2 people open on 6 out of every ten possessions.

not sure if you are big into the game, but if you run into brenda freeze, please relay the message to work on finding the open shooter. and if you bump into langhorn, tell her to pass the goddamn ball or they will not get very far this year.

go terps! fear the turtle!

oh, and keep me posted with some inside info.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/ncaa_logos/maryland_2004.gif

BmoreBrawler
02-19-2007, 01:30 AM
well I do watch the games when theyre on, and if by some miracle I run into Brenda ill tell her(I have seen Langhorn, Harper, and Doron on campus a couple times).

More of a mens Bball and football fan myself but a national championship is a national championship.

Mistadobalina
02-19-2007, 01:46 AM
practicing for golf is just as intense as playing the real game. :tapedshut