View Full Version : aggressive right handers

boxing4ever
02-18-2007, 02:02 AM
i was at the gym last night and I went to watch and there was a kid that would just do the same thing again and again and again he would lean and put all his body weight on his back leg and hit powerful rights and he wasnt jabbing much at all so i thought to myself what can you do when hes coming at you with a hard right as his first hit and have no clue what to counter or defend with?he kinda lunges at you he leans back on his back leg(right leg) and then he basicly takes a big step into you and starts hitting with hard rights almost like hes jumping at you

fraidycat
02-18-2007, 02:24 AM
1.) Step in with the jab when he leans back and knock him over.

2.) Duck under his arm, put your lead foot between his feet, and come up with your right shoulder under his right tricep, while driving an uppercut to the midsection with your right hand. If he's being a dick, hold him in place with your left glove on his back, pinning his elbow between your shoulder and his ear, and keep uppercutting him until someone separates you. Don't do this to anyone you like, or who you want to remain friends with outside the ring.

3.) Stand your ground; pivot, parry, and hook. If he's jumping in, you should be able to hook him squarely in the face.

BigCol
02-18-2007, 02:25 AM
If he is telegraphing the right hand just step in and jab him.

fraidycat
02-18-2007, 02:29 AM

^^^^

Best answer.

He's going to be counting on you being afraid of him. Stepping into him takes away his only weapon. Do it fast enough and you'll get him off-balance, then you own his ass.

boxing4ever
02-18-2007, 02:41 AM
^^^^

Best answer.

He's going to be counting on you being afraid of him. Stepping into him takes away his only weapon. Do it fast enough and you'll get him off-balance, then you own his ass.
thanks man i appreciate this this kid is ****y and thinks hes the **** i havent been at my new gym for not even a month yet i decided to learn everything over again due to my last gym not paying enough attention to me and i was doing everything wrong so technicly i have been boxing for 2 months and i am pretty decent ill post up a video of me sometime but anyway this kid thinks hes roy jones jr when i was watching him spar he pointed at me and said i want you after sparring another kid and i think he said that mainly because last week i was put to the test and sparred a kid that has been boxing for 6 months that weight the same weight as me 165 and i just put it down on him and everyone was shocked how did this new kid make a 6 month deep boxer look like bad but anyway sorry for the long post

fraidycat
02-18-2007, 04:24 AM
2.) Duck under his arm, put your lead foot between his feet, and come up with your right shoulder under his right tricep, while driving an uppercut to the midsection with your right hand. If he's being a dick, hold him in place with your left glove on his back, pinning his elbow between your shoulder and his ear, and keep uppercutting him until someone separates you. Don't do this to anyone you like, or who you want to remain friends with outside the ring.

This was the cold medicine talking. I'm a southpaw; this wouldn't work if you're both orthodox. You could use your left shoulder under his jab, but this works better against an overhand. My bad.

hemichromis
02-18-2007, 04:33 AM
i was at the gym last night and there was a kid that would just do the same thing again and again and again he would lean and put all his body weight on his back leg and hit powerful rights and he wasnt jabbing much at all so i thought to myself what can you do when hes coming at you with a hard right as his first hit and have no clue what to counter or defend with?he kinda lunges at you he leans back on his back leg(right leg) and then he basicly takes a big step into you and starts hitting with hard rights almost like hes jumping at you

persaonally i would pivot to the left (outside of his right) and jab him. let him do that a few times untill he's just a little tired than you can follow that jab with something like a ig right of your own!

Trick
02-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Well depends if I like the guy or not.

If I do, or he's new of whatever:
Ya, just jab when he loads up, it's knock him off balance, and you can just move away

If not:
I would slip under it (which should be pretty easy if you know it's comin'), pivot left, and as doing so, I'd pound him in the liver. Couple o' liver shots and he'll have no energy for his big right hands.

The reality is, if this were a fight, you'd be able to demolish him, cause he'd be off balance alot, you'd basically know what he's gonna do, not to mention the fact that he telegraphs that right hand anyways. But in sparring, and you like this guy, or he's new or whatever, just talk to him outside the ring. Sparring isn't for loading up some shotgun of a punch and chasing a guy around a ring.

Peace,
Trick

boxing4ever
02-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Ya, just jab when he loads up, it's knock him off balance, and you can just move away

If not:
I would slip under it (which should be pretty easy if you know it's comin'), pivot left, and as doing so, I'd pound him in the liver. Couple o' liver shots and he'll have no energy for his big right hands.

The reality is, if this were a fight, you'd be able to demolish him, cause he'd be off balance alot, you'd basically know what he's gonna do, not to mention the fact that he telegraphs that right hand anyways. But in sparring, and you like this guy, or he's new or whatever, just talk to him outside the ring. Sparring isn't for loading up some shotgun of a punch and chasing a guy around a ring.

Peace,
Trick

hes shorter than me im 5''7 and hes 5''6 maybee 5''5 and he punches upward because he gets into a very low stance and is fast and no i dont like the guy so i want to really put it on him hes ****y and likes to run his mouth

BigCol
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM

If not:

Peace,
Trick

Yeah...that wont work. This is reality...not a video game.

mgkirkpatrick
02-18-2007, 06:17 PM
1.) Step in with the jab when he leans back and knock him over.

^that **** right there^:banana:

if he's telegraphing and loading up you should have no problem being first... just pop that jab when he's off balance.. also if he is only throwing big straight rights make sure u arent moving straight back or you may get caught.. move laterally

boxing4ever
02-18-2007, 06:29 PM
^that **** right there^:banana:

if he's telegraphing and loading up you should have no problem being first... just pop that jab when he's off balance.. also if he is only throwing big straight rights make sure u arent moving straight back or you may get caught.. move laterallyif me and him are orthadox which way should i move latterly to the right or the left and could you explain to me what strategy to use and what to hit with and what time to hit at in details?

BigCol
02-18-2007, 06:30 PM
if me and him are orthadox which way should i move latterly to the right or the left and could you explain to me what strategy to use and what to hit with and what time to hit at in details?

Circle away from his right hand and STEP INTO the jab. It's that simple..

Trick
02-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah...that wont work. This is reality...not a video game.

Uhhh you suggested like the same thing. You mean the shot to the body? I've done it, it can work, although it's hard to do, that's why I suggested the jab first. You basically hit him as he's throwing out the right. You pretty much have to know he's throwing the right to do it. But that seems to be the case here.

mgkirkpatrick
02-18-2007, 09:42 PM
if me and him are orthadox which way should i move latterly to the right or the left and could you explain to me what strategy to use and what to hit with and what time to hit at in details?

well its hard to picture exactly what u mean but from what u said im thinking u want to be circling to your right... his left... away from his big right.. and when u see him going back for his big right u want to be stepping in and jabbing at the same time... either to the body or head and then back out of his range..... ya get me?

practice it on a heavy bag... circle circle... and then picture what he does as a trigger to step forward and snap out your quickest jab... hit and dont be hit is the aim

fraidycat
02-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Uhhh you suggested like the same thing. You mean the shot to the body? I've done it, it can work, although it's hard to do, that's why I suggested the jab first. You basically hit him as he's throwing out the right. You pretty much have to know he's throwing the right to do it. But that seems to be the case here.

^^^ What he said. You can get in there and throw the bodyshot, but you've got to practice it, and when it comes time to do it, you need to commit with both balls. You have to key off his telegraph, and then step in under the overhand and do it all in one beat: BAM! as he throws. If you try to step in as a counter you're going to get whacked.

j
02-18-2007, 11:15 PM
so, this guy is a ****y bastard, huh? take his ****y ass down to some of the hardcore mma/martial arts schools. a lot of the *real* goods are not found in schools but small private groups.

i've found that ****y people don't last long.

BigCol
02-18-2007, 11:23 PM
^^^ What he said. You can get in there and throw the bodyshot, but you've got to practice it, and when it comes time to do it, you need to commit with both balls. You have to key off his telegraph, and then step in under the overhand and do it all in one beat: BAM! as he throws. If you try to step in as a counter you're going to get whacked.

Well the initial thread starter seemed pretty experienced. It is very hard to do what you guys are suggesting. You are basically suggesting what Roy Jones did to Virgil Hill...slipped the jab adn threw a right hand to the liver. Not very sound advice to a beginner, IMO.

eazy_mas
02-18-2007, 11:56 PM
same stance.

1. slip and then left hook or uppercut and if you have a reach advantge dont throw small compact left hooks but long one and try to used the reach advantge to slugg it off with him but not too close similar to Salvador Sanchez

2. another one is a sucidial one. slip backward and then couter with you own right hand including and put you whole wieght to it. it what in the Ippo anime called Jolt.http://ippo.confusticated.com/techniques/jolt.gif
In real life it the same thing done in DeLeon vs Sod 2. sometimes you gotta take you boxing education from anime :D

if different stance.

1. slip back and couter with you right
2. slip to side and couter with a looping right

Trick
02-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Well the initial thread starter seemed pretty experienced. It is very hard to do what you guys are suggesting. You are basically suggesting what Roy Jones did to Virgil Hill...slipped the jab adn threw a right hand to the liver. Not very sound advice to a beginner, IMO.

Ya, well in a normal situation it probably wouldn't be my first choice. But this guy seems to telegraph his big slow rights. So you should have enough time to pull it off

Run
02-19-2007, 02:13 PM
so, this guy is a ****y bastard, huh? take his ****y ass down to some of the hardcore mma/martial arts schools. a lot of the *real* goods are not found in schools but small private groups.

i've found that ****y people don't last long.

haha what he said.

In fact....if he's being a tough guy you need to hurt him. Lay an elbow on his mouth, a knee to the groin....something.

fraidycat
02-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Ya, well in a normal situation it probably wouldn't be my first choice. But this guy seems to telegraph his big slow rights. So you should have enough time to pull it off

Dude, get outta my head.

Verstyle
02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
those aggressive right handers tend to make faces or load up on those right hands if they constantly use it. quite obvious if u pay attention alot

Kayo
02-19-2007, 10:30 PM
haha what he said.

In fact....if he's being a tough guy you need to hurt him. Lay an elbow on his mouth, a knee to the groin....something.

now we're talkin

SquareCircle
02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
it really depends on your style, and you.

We have no idea what offensive tools you have. So I'll give you some possible solutions, and you can use one of em, depending on what kinda fighter you think of yourself as.

If you're a shorter armed fellow, or your arms are shorter than his, I'm going to assume you have a little power to you, but straight up; the best way to get rid of a straight shot you don't like is to put your hands up just like Winky Wright does and push your gloves outward when you are squaring up with him, try to make it so each time you push out with the gloves should be when the guy is punching...Don't throw up that defense until he gets just close enough to hit you though...unless you got a strong body. As you step in with your gloves up, be expecting each punch and push outward with your gloves otherwise the glove will just hit your face and you'll take some damage.... The shots will land right on the gloves as long as you keep 'em up and master the push technique...Once you get inside, unload hooks on the guy and get back on the outside, and let him throw that big right hand...Just make sure you're ready with that technique, and it will nullify that punch.

If you got longer arms than this guy, you should be using the jab, stepping either into it with force(and turn it over...), if you want to move, it should be to your right, away from his power. If you have a size advantage, all you need to win that fight is a good hard jab and enough confidence to step into that jab with all you got, and try to do it when he's coming in...that's how you can hurt someone with a jab, you gotta time it just right and it's all about being confident in yourself...Without confidence your timing won't be worth a ****...

Best way to take out a guy throwing a right hand with a jab is timing it and adapting your angle to where when he throws the right hand, his bottom forearm hits your upper left forearm of your left jab, stepping in....This parry equation turns your jab into a serious power punch, because he'll get hit stepping in and if you do it like I just said, it'll be right when he's delivering his power line. Catch someone when they're in the midst of delivering their power line and I don't care who they are, they're going to get hurt...Even J.L. Castillo would get KTFO if he did it but he's too smart of a fighter to put himself into a huge punch like that and get caught, that's why he has such a 'good chin' because he puts just enough effort into each punch, he isn't coming in with his hardest blows when he's getting hit. He's too smart for that.

hemichromis
02-20-2007, 04:23 PM
i was at the gym last night and there was a kid that would just do the same thing again and again and again he would lean and put all his body weight on his back leg and hit powerful rights and he wasnt jabbing much at all so i thought to myself what can you do when hes coming at you with a hard right as his first hit and have no clue what to counter or defend with?he kinda lunges at you he leans back on his back leg(right leg) and then he basicly takes a big step into you and starts hitting with hard rights almost like hes jumping at you

You should watch him closely when he fights someone else, you cna often see things such as telegraphs and openings you don;t see when leather's being thrown in your face!

Trick
02-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Just a question, as to where to go, my instinct would be to try to get right, so I'm on the outside of his power hand, and also more or less out or range from the left. Some have suggested moving right, just wondering what the theory is behind that.

shawn_
02-20-2007, 09:08 PM
It sounds to me like this kid is throwing sloppy lunging overhand rights from a crouch with an extended front leg. It sounds like he already has balance problems so I would focus mainly on making him miss by steping to his right and then shooting in a right hand lead durring his follow through. If im understanding the description it sounds like this kid is the kind of guy that can fall down on his own when he misses.

Its a good idea to work the jab on him when he looks like he is about to load up, because it will make him stop throwing, but as far as actualy countering the punch, id go with what I said above. Make him miss, then hit him while he is off balance.

If you wanted to be agressive and give him a taste of his own medicine, I would lunge forward and to the right and hit him square in the face with a left hook.

boxing4ever
02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
It sounds to me like this kid is throwing sloppy lunging overhand rights from a crouch with an extended front leg. It sounds like he already has balance problems so I would focus mainly on making him miss by steping to his right and then shooting in a right hand lead durring his follow through. If im understanding the description it sounds like this kid is the kind of guy that can fall down on his own when he misses.

Its a good idea to work the jab on him when he looks like he is about to load up, because it will make him stop throwing, but as far as actualy countering the punch, id go with what I said above. Make him miss, then hit him while he is off balance.

If you wanted to be agressive and give him a taste of his own medicine, I would lunge forward and to the right and hit him square in the face with a left hook.
this is what happend when i sparred him earlier today the coach told us to take it easy on each other so i went by what the coach said so ok ding ding ding the round starts he comes right away with hard slow ass hooks to the body some got me some didnt he also tried to hit me in the solar plexus i noticed a few times but i always had my hands up ok so i started moving around as fast as i can its about a minute into the round i start using my jab and IT WORKED i kept jabbing him everytime i saw him going for the right powerfull cross and it knocked him out of his stance and made him move around and he had to readjust his wide ass stance so ok i keep jabbing making him pissed and all the sudden he thorws this big ass right and bam i jabbed it away and next thing im moving away and he lunges at me as i thought he would and i got in the corner and did what winky wright does put my hands up all the way to the face and let him hit my gloves he did that for about 10 seconds with all his power and then i got out the corner and unloaded on him all the way till he was on the opposite side of the ring and i must of felt his nose about 3 times with my glove i hit him with the hardest ive had till his head bounced then i backed off and the coach is like take it easy and then the round was done THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS AND KEEP THE POSTS COMING ON THIS THREAD

boxing4ever
02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
please read that ^guys i know its long but its worth reading it

j
02-21-2007, 01:40 AM
congrats!!! :boxing:

btw, here is a lil something for you to play with next time you spar him or anybody who throws wide or overextends.

it sounds like he is throwing a lot into some of his rights and it affects his balance. by attacking him just after he has extended his punch you can make use of his balance problem and the fact that he has to recover his balance. by attacking him immediately after he has extended, he is vulnerable and will be easy to drop if you so wish.

more experienced, calculated fighters know this, but it can still work with a high percentage when you develope this timing to be natural.

thanks for keeping us informed.

boxing4ever
02-21-2007, 01:47 AM
congrats!!! :boxing:

btw, here is a lil something for you to play with next time you spar him or anybody who throws wide or overextends.

it sounds like he is throwing a lot into some of his rights and it affects his balance. by attacking him just after he has extended his punch you can make use of his balance problem and the fact that he has to recover his balance. by attacking him immediately after he has extended, he is vulnerable and will be easy to drop if you so wish.

more experienced, calculated fighters know this, but it can still work with a high percentage when you develope this timing to be natural.

thanks for keeping us informed.thanks man no problem yes i thought it wasnt going to work for **** but it worked just like butter everytime so he didnt get a touch on my head he had to go for my body everytime when i messed up his coordination when i jabbed him so it was all good to get out of the ring knowing that the person you just sparred didnt get a hit on your head:headbang: :fing02: :fest30:

coreywash
02-21-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks man i appreciate this this kid is ****y and thinks hes the **** i havent been at my new gym for not even a month yet i decided to learn everything over again due to my last gym not paying enough attention to me and i was doing everything wrong so technicly i have been boxing for 2 months and i am pretty decent ill post up a video of me sometime but anyway this kid thinks hes roy jones jr when i was watching him spar he pointed at me and said i want you after sparring another kid and i think he said that mainly because last week i was put to the test and sparred a kid that has been boxing for 6 months that weight the same weight as me 165 and i just put it down on him and everyone was shocked how did this new kid make a 6 month deep boxer look like bad but anyway sorry for the long post

lol i know where ur coming from...i've been boxing since july and i always spar this kid that has been boxing fro more than a decade..he thinks he so tight, but i get in there in hang with him even though he got way more experience than me...

DA1CATAS
02-21-2007, 01:41 PM

Depends what punch you hit hard with... or have learned in your two months training.

The Step in and jab is good but this is not a power punch... it might stop him but it wont make him give up on that telegraphed Hard right UNLESS you throw the two (STRAIGHT RIGHT HAND) behind it.

If you've learned how to roll(hard to explain but its like throwing your left shoulder back while pulling your right shoulder forward on a slant) .. Throw the five (THE RIGHT HAND UPPERCUT) to the chin or nose. YOU HAVE TO ROLL.. if you try this without rolling your gonna get caught square unless he just has no accuracy.

The Pivot(which is throwing your right foot around...THIS IS NOT A SIDESTEP) to the left 90 degrees is good also to open up for a left handed uppercut... Since he's loading up and leans this should be a wide up punch to land. THIS MUST BE TIMED or you will get rocked since your pivoting towards his haymaker right.

You can pivot to the Right and throw a left hook to the body or head... just keep that right hand up for his left hook that would be his only counter.

You can just back up(on an angle NOT STRAIGHT BACK) and then pop a quick 1-2 to make him pay until he stops the BS haymaker.

Well thats Everything else im thinking of is definately too much for just 2 months of training.

I broke these down... now its up to you to figure out witch punch best suits your level of skill.

If you can't do any of the more complicated ones THE SIMPLE STEP IN JAB will work... but try to throw that right hand after it once you start landing it.

CATASTROPHE

boxing4ever
02-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Depends what punch you hit hard with... or have learned in your two months training.

The Step in and jab is good but this is not a power punch... it might stop him but it wont make him give up on that telegraphed Hard right UNLESS you throw the two (STRAIGHT RIGHT HAND) behind it.

If you've learned how to roll(hard to explain but its like throwing your left shoulder back while pulling your right shoulder forward on a slant) .. Throw the five (THE RIGHT HAND UPPERCUT) to the chin or nose. YOU HAVE TO ROLL.. if you try this without rolling your gonna get caught square unless he just has no accuracy.

The Pivot(which is throwing your right foot around...THIS IS NOT A SIDESTEP) to the left 90 degrees is good also to open up for a left handed uppercut... Since he's loading up and leans this should be a wide up punch to land. THIS MUST BE TIMED or you will get rocked since your pivoting towards his haymaker right.

You can pivot to the Right and throw a left hook to the body or head... just keep that right hand up for his left hook that would be his only counter.

You can just back up(on an angle NOT STRAIGHT BACK) and then pop a quick 1-2 to make him pay until he stops the BS haymaker.

Well thats Everything else im thinking of is definately too much for just 2 months of training.

I broke these down... now its up to you to figure out witch punch best suits your level of skill.

If you can't do any of the more complicated ones THE SIMPLE STEP IN JAB will work... but try to throw that right hand after it once you start landing it.

CATASTROPHE
thanks bro

shawn_
02-21-2007, 07:28 PM
You should also try and remember that even though boxing is a very physical sport, 90% of it is mental. If you can make him feel like his punches arnt doing anything, he will be less willing to expend the energy on throwing them. If you can make him miss, he will be more selective with his punches.

Dont try and stand your ground with sombody that loads up. Make them move so that if they throw they are off balance. Think of your opponent as a train on a railroad track. All you need to do is dance to one side of the track and the only way the train can hit you is if it derails itself.

Alot of the knockdowns you see in fights are not because sombody got caught with a thunderous punch that turned their legs to rubber, but because they got caught while they were off balance.

Its not called the "sweet science" for nothing.

boxing4ever
02-28-2007, 11:59 PM
ok guys this guy came back for more he came up to me last night and said he man you want to spar again this time ill make 100% i knock you out i was like didnt you say that last time he was like ya but im sure this time i was like get the **** away from me man and he kept coming up to me and the last time he came up to me talking all nice and talking to me about the mayweather dlh fight and how he wants floyd to win and it was confusing because one second hes saying hes goona knock me out next second hes coming up to me all nice! what do you guys think of this fool and now im having second thoughts because i might have got lucky last time and this time i might not get lucky

Trick
03-01-2007, 04:19 AM
I've been trying out a new trick for situations like this, it even can work when he's not like really loading up. Not sure if this has been mentioned before. You're gonna wanna practice this before you use it. But basically, when he throws that right, you throw yours (kinda). Throw it right at his glove, well actually, a little under. That deflects is glove out and away, and you move in to give him a left to the body, which should remind him not to telegraph. Now obviously your side is exposed too, but it all happens so fast, and you know what's about to happen he doesn't. This isn't the kinda thing you can pull more than a couple of times though, unless he's an idiot.

Peace,
Trick

j
03-01-2007, 04:27 AM
boxing4ever - hey man, leave this weird **** alone. he sounds like a nutcase the way you describe him. and he's rooting for mayweather? yeah, avoid him.

or..........

you could just remember that i recommended having him go to a hardcore mma/martial arts school or group and challenge a top student.

in that case, you can sit back and watch him get his ass kicked and learn a lesson in respect.

btw, what kind of gym allows a fighter to hang around who wants to KO people?

nobody should be looking for KOs in a sparring session. people are either going to end up with permanent trauma from constant concussions, or just want to leave.

Trick
03-01-2007, 04:29 AM
agreed, this bum needs so leave. There's no point getting your head pounded in sparring man, sparring is for practice, you go too hard, you'll be lucky to be in fighting shape at 25.

boxing4ever
03-01-2007, 07:58 AM
the trainer told me he has problems in school and getting along with people after i sparred him the first time he was like he doesnt have control of himself this has happend alot where he doesnt have control when he sparrs either way today i dotn care if he has 1 year over me if this kid ****s up in the ring hes getting hit 10 times harder thanks for the advice trick and j

Trick
03-02-2007, 03:19 AM
np man,

Just be careful, avoid skull-crackers when it's sparring time. You won't learn a whole lot, and the potential for injury just ain't worth it.

Peace,
Trick