View Full Version : The British HW Scene

rooq
02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
According to boxrec, our top five fighters are skelton, harrison, gammer, williams and sprott.

the next placed guy is the very ordinary michael steeds.

is there any hope?

Tong Po
02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Frank Bruno coming out of retirement and cleaning house? Hmm, don't see that happening unfortunately. He probably could too.

Maybe David Haye moving up, he's got age on his side. All the others are in their mid/late 30's, and I've never been impressed with Scott Gammer, got the impression he avoided Audley Harrison.

DeathFromAbove
02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
i like skelton a lot and hes showed veristility and the ability to change his game the rest are a pile of crap

Liaison
02-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Skelton is the UK's last hope. After that its back to the dark ages again.

number6
02-17-2007, 08:22 PM
i like skelton a lot and hes showed veristility and the ability to change his game the rest are a pile of crap

He is way too old to make a big impact.imo.

duffgun
02-18-2007, 05:22 AM
our best hope is haye making a move up to heavy, and the only other man is skelton the rest our not good enough at world level.

medium-deek
02-18-2007, 05:48 AM
UK heavyweight scene is a joke and a roll call of mediocrity.

Haye is probably the best hope. How about Tyson Fury: :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/5316316.stm

You could be forgiven for thinking "Tyson Fury" was another tabloid headline highlighting the former world heavyweight champion's latest indiscretion.

But Tyson Fury is also the name of a teenager from Cheshire being hailed as the next big hope for British boxing.

For coach Steve Egan, it was a case of "too good to be true" when the 18-year-old super heavyweight, who stands 6ft 6in tall and weighs more than 18st, walked through the door of his Manchester gym four years ago.

"He just came in one day and started hitting a bag at the back of the gym," recalls Egan. "I went to have a look at him and immediately knew he was talented.

"He was big but very mobile, had quick hands and a good variety of punches, too.

"I've turned other fighters with less talent into good fighters, so I knew he would be very good. So far, I haven't been disappointed. This guy is going to be champion of the world some day."

Talent aside, Egan must have known he was onto a good thing as soon as he discovered the name of the youngster who had turned up unannounced.

"I asked him what he was called and he said 'Tyson'," remembers Egan. "I said 'Yeah, right'. After all, there aren't many white kids called Tyson, are there?

"Then I asked him what his second name was. When he told me it was Fury, well, I couldn't believe that either. It was a dream come true."

It certainly made any talk of a nickname redundant.

And Fury, given the name Tyson by his dad in tribute to the infamous Iron Mike, has only reaffirmed what Egan already knew from the very first meeting.

"This lad has got everything - movement, speed, good defence. He's also got heart," says Egan.

"You can teach boxers new skills, tactics, how to punch, etcetera, but you can't make them want it. You've got to have that fire inside you. Tyson's got plenty of that.

"He is also very dedicated. He told me once that he prefers going to the gym than going for a night out."

Fury, whose father, "Gypsy" Johnny, was also a decent heavyweight, appears to have the world at his feet. Or should that be fists.

He takes another step on the road to potential greatness this weekend when he begins his challenge for gold at the World Junior Championships in the Moroccan city of Agadir.

That's if anyone dares to fight him. He has won all 11 of his fights, six of them inside the distance.

"He could have stopped all of his opponents, but he listens to me," says Egan. "I told he could learn more from going the distance rather than knocking them out."

Fury would no doubt have had more scalps under his belt had he not gone two years without a competitive bout because there was no-one his size in his age group.

His immense presence and blossoming reputation have also resulted in one or two matchmakers being less than truthful when pitting him against an opponent.

Fury's last foe was supposed to have fought 10 times, with a 50/50 record.

It turned out he had fought twice that amount, winning 15 times and knocking out his last three opponents.

It made little difference to Fury, though. He took just 30 seconds to KO his unfortunate rival.

"He wants to be world champion," says Egan, who will be in Fury's corner in Morocco.

"That's his aim. I think he'll get there, too. Not tomorrow, because he's only a baby, but he'll get there."

rooq
02-18-2007, 11:11 AM
yeah....looks like our next bright hw prospects are still amateurs..

tyson fury looks older than his age

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42051000/jpg/_42051488_tyson203.jpg

(he's the one on the left)

david price is also thinking of turning pro after the 2008 olympics. how do you think he'd do?

kayjay
02-18-2007, 01:26 PM
The U.S. Heavyweight scene is bad, but the Brit one is horrible. I've revised my imaginary rankings, and there are no Brits in the top 50 now. Maybe a couple in the top 100. Really, all boxing fans need to learn to disregard nationality as much as possible. The current Brit heavies have received much more attention than deserved.

paul750
02-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Well Roman Greenberg fights out of the UK and is probably better than the British bunch, but he's Israeli of course; I don't think he's world champion material anyway, maybe a future top ten guy though.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=373318

There's this guy from Northern Ireland where I'm from; he's 21, 6'7'' and has four wins under his belt, but I have no idea of his potential or how good he might be.

rooq
02-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Well Roman Greenberg fights out of the UK and is probably better than the British bunch, but he's Israeli of course; I don't think he's world champion material anyway, maybe a future top ten guy though.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=373318

There's this guy from Northern Ireland where I'm from; he's 21, 6'7'' and has four wins under his belt, but I have no idea of his potential or how good he might be.

yeah, i saw scott belshaw on sky a few weeks ago (?). he's got a lot to learn but you never know how someone like this is gonna turn out. his trainer thought he was better than mcbride, so he could at least develop into an above-average fringe contender

paul750
02-18-2007, 02:46 PM
yeah, i saw scott belshaw on sky a few weeks ago (?). he's got a lot to learn but you never know how someone like this is gonna turn out. his trainer thought he was better than mcbride, so he could at least develop into an above-average fringe contender

Yeah 21 is such a young age for a heavyweight, so he has all the time in the world to develop. I've just seen a few clips of him; he certainly has size along with a some power it seems. I'm not sure any heavyweight from Northern Ireland has challenged for a British title before, McBride comes from the south of the border, although he's rubbish anyway as we've seen.

Tong Po
02-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Haha, Tyson Fury. I remember, a hype-job article came out about him just as an amateur tournament was getting underway, then he preceded to get beaten in the first round.

A fighter made his debut last night who I've been hearing/reading alot about lately, and they hype him up as if he could be the next great Brit. His name's Derek Chisora...

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=381739

DeathFromAbove
02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Haha, Tyson Fury. I remember, a hype-job article came out about him just as an amateur tournament was getting underway, then he preceded to get beaten in the first round.

I saw that article on BBC website. lol so he got his arse kicked then,

ophqui
02-19-2007, 04:10 PM
the guy who fights with the star of david on his shorts is ok, is it greenberg or goldberg or something? him and scott gammer are of a higher quality than the idiots doing the rounds on itv. Saying that i think skelton is our rightful champion but i imagine thats not going to last too long as he's getting on a bit and will probably retire when he doesnt get a world title shot.

Nacho_Analstain
02-19-2007, 04:17 PM
lennox lewis could come back and clean up,knocking out sprott,harrison,williams,gammer and skelton all out in a row

DeathFromAbove
02-19-2007, 04:43 PM
I think the future is really looking towards David Haye for us but i got the feeling he is packing china and also looks like he cuts up very easily

The Monk
02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm looking to David Haye as well to try and re-energise the British heavyweight scene, really is a sorry state of affairs at the moment.

me2007
02-20-2007, 10:58 AM
would Haye carry enough power to ko the likes of klitscko or valuev? I think he's too small for a modern day HW champion.

Nacho_Analstain
02-20-2007, 11:00 AM
would Haye carry enough power to ko the likes of klitscko or valuev? I think he's too small for a modern day HW champion.

not sure if that matters,look at jones jr and james toney

DeathFromAbove
02-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Thats a fair point , but i think he could hang with them but its gonna be hard for anyone to knock out valuev when ur half the guys weight

BigRiffyJones
04-03-2007, 07:13 AM
that boy belshaw is a KO artist, i've seen a clip of him. But he's raw (since when was that a factor though, coughgeorgeforemancough).

col Blake
04-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Frank Bruno coming out of retirement and cleaning house? Hmm, don't see that happening unfortunately. He probably could too.

Maybe David Haye moving up, he's got age on his side. All the others are in their mid/late 30's, and I've never been impressed with Scott Gammer, got the impression he avoided Audley Harrison.
Heavywheight scene in the Uk has always been crap, we were so lucky to get Lennex out of Canada ( which is really British ) If you were honest Bruno was a glass jaw body builder with a big punch still liked him though, Cooper was a light heavy at best but still had a great left hook. Skelton sadly is our best hope, as you don't know what Williams your going to get from one fight to the next. Harrison is a bottler of the highest order and he can't or wont put the work into trainning, sad fact you can't fight unless you go out pounding the streets with daily road work, Hamed was the same, nobody likes it.
As for David Haye who can really put the graft in in trainning, one of the fittest fighters out there, has'nt got the chin to step up to HW, remember Carl Thompson, he should stay at Cruiser, money might turn his head though.

paul750
04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Forget Haye, he's too small and looks to have a shaky chin. Lets see what he can do at cruiserweight.

Dynamite Kid
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
The U.S. Heavyweight scene is bad, but the Brit one is horrible. I've revised my imaginary rankings, and there are no Brits in the top 50 now. Maybe a couple in the top 100. Really, all boxing fans need to learn to disregard nationality as much as possible. The current Brit heavies have received much more attention than deserved.

british heavy weights have been poor but i believe david haye will be champion ,skelton is poor just average fighter in the us ,the rest are even worse hayes got real potential though ,just thinking what would have happened if calzaghe had fought roy jones

FeelTheA-Force
04-04-2007, 03:55 AM
that boy belshaw is a KO artist, i've seen a clip of him. But he's raw (since when was that a factor though, coughgeorgeforemancough).

hahhahahahaah stop hyping a bum up...

hes plain ****... and will get knocked out..

Sn1
04-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Jones jr was never a heavyweight.

he was given a title by john ruiz.

james toney on the other hand is a bonafide heavyweight.

for me Haye is gonna get koed soon, maybe ot against bonin but
either against the cruiserweight champ or the next big hitting hw
he takes on. the rest are garbage with skelton being the best of
a bad bunch

BigRiffyJones
04-04-2007, 09:33 AM

A) You haven't seen him, I bet
B) Your say that when your avatar and sig hype Audley Harrison up?
C) He's 20 years old, he's got a lot to learn.

I never said he was the next world champ, I called him a KO artist, meaning he is a big puncher (which he is). Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if he went further than your man Audley.

paul750
04-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Says Audley Harrison's butt plug.

Sn1
04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
A) You haven't seen him, I bet
B) Your say that when your avatar and sig hype Audley Harrison up?
C) He's 20 years old, he's got a lot to learn.

I never said he was the next world champ, I called him a KO artist, meaning he is a big puncher (which he is). Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if he went further than your man Audley.
it aint an achievement to go further than audley, even with a Gold Olympic Medal:lol1: