View Full Version : Push Ups

FrankJack
02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
What's up everybody? I was curious about whether or not push ups will help add punching power. I do push ups almost every day, because we have physical fitness tests every few months in my job. I do the push ups regardless but I'm just curious about what the benefits would be in the sport of boxing.

Trick
02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
I do pushups, just becuse, I mean, they're push ups, they help everything. What I know does help handspeed is clap-pushups.

GR@Y SKIEZ
02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
i think push ups add to punching power....im not exactly sure, but it feels like they do...

push ups and hitting the heavy bag are my 2 favorite things to do...i would do nuthing but these 2 things all day long if i could.:boxing:

dario
02-16-2007, 04:24 PM
your legs and abs are the power to your punches; you never punch with your chest

leff
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
push upps builds strength but most off all muscle condition.

for explosvieness somethingsimilar to a powerlifting program would be the best

HANDZ
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Work on your wing's,hip's,leg's and your lower body to if you wanna punch harder, unless you throw punches from 1 posture but your pec's and tricep's arent the key to power punche's but they could gradually progress your speed and extension and stamina.

platinummatt!
02-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Im going to say that, maybe they will, say if you cant even do one, and you keep practicing and can do a few easily, then you will have gained power. But after that its probably just conditioning

Smokin'
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I do pushups, just becuse, I mean, they're push ups, they help everything. What I know does help handspeed is clap-pushups.

You're massive.

Mick Hucknall
02-16-2007, 06:52 PM
dario was right your punching power accumulates from your legs and hips

Trick
02-17-2007, 01:42 AM
You're massive.

I'm massive? Haha, didn't know that 154 was massive.

Anyways, doing a ****load of pushups isn't gonna do a whole lot for you. But they do help with conditioning, and plyometric push-ups are a little more sports specific. Honestly, I find hitting the heavy bag is one of the best ways to develop your power. Perfecting technique is the key. If you can move you muscles from your toes to your fist well, then you'll hit like a freight train. That's not all that easy though, so practicing puching will make you hit harder if that's what you're looking for.

Verstyle
02-17-2007, 02:00 AM
it can build shoulder muscles in which can produce more punching power.

Mick Hucknall
02-17-2007, 02:08 AM
but power does come form your legs and hips though, the base of your punching power

j
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
personally, i like the "jailyard" style push up, as i call them, to regular ones. they are excellent for conditioning. they are basically a modified inclined push up. i also perform various forms of static and modified motion push ups common to chinese martial arts. awesome little routine.