View Full Version : Definition of a sell out

Kobe Bryant
02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
What's your defenition of a sell out? I see people calling Master P and Ice Cube and Snoop sell outs. Now people change as they get older they have different priorities. They open up to different ventures. But what exactly is a sell out? Someone who switches subject matter and starts to do movies. Because Mos Def is one of my favorite artist ever and he has almost completely abandoned rap. He acts now, and it seems as he got bored with rap and he's basically a full time actor. But I don't consider him a sell out. And I don't really believe in sell outs. What yah think?

Bucktown Beast
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
What's your defenition of a sell out? I see people calling Master P and Ice Cube and Snoop sell outs. Now people change as they get older they have different priorities. They open up to different ventures. But what exactly is a sell out? Someone who switches subject matter and starts to do movies. Because Mos Def is one of my favorite artist ever and he has almost completely abandoned rap. He acts now, and it seems as he got bored with rap and he's basically a full time actor. But I don't consider him a sell out. And I don't really believe in sell outs. What yah think?

Lefthook, alot of heads don't know this but unlike most people, MosDef is actually an actor turned rapper. He was an actor first, he co starred in the Cosby Mysteries television show and was in various commercials before he turned to rapping.

Tuggers1986
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
There's no such thing. Any man has the right to do whatever he wants.

Verstyle
02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
There's no such thing. Any man has the right to do whatever he wants.

exactly.and the 1s callin them sellouts r haters.why u going to hate on a man for gettin his hustle on for that paper. while they may call them sellouts there nephews and nieces and cousins and brothers and sisters r watching there "sellout" movies and listening them there"sellout" songs on the radio.Its like they want them to continue doing **** that isnt making them money ne more so they can be poor.

Bucktown Beast
02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Really its dumb, but people view someone as a sellout if they expand their horizons and branch off in to other avenues of artistic expression.

The more successful you are, the more of a sellout you are. You have to be an unsuccessful, underground mixtape rapper who isn't a household name for you to not be a sellout. Obviously unfair critic from fans. And stupid as well.

Verstyle
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Really its dumb, but people view someone as a sellout if they expand their horizons and branch off in to other avenues of artistic expression.

The more successful you are, the more of a sellout you are. You have to be an unsuccessful, underground mixtape rapper who isn't a household name for you to not be a sellout. Obviously unfair critic from fans. And stupid as well.

very.you will meet some of those ppl that say that on here

oldgringo
02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
There is no definition. Making money is essential to life. If a rapper puts out a couple of great albums and then goes on to different things in life (Cube) then let em be. Besides, Cube has been in 3 classic movies. It's all about fans being selfish.

Living Legend
02-06-2007, 01:24 PM
A Sellout is a person that will sacrifice their personal beliefs and morals to be monetarily or socially successful?
For example all the Gangsta rappers are sellouts... Rapping about killing and selling drugs is the same as killing people and selling drugs...You are promoting negativity just to have fame and money...That is bullsh*t! The influence of drugs ruins lives, just like the influence of negative music ruins young lives...

MOREBASS
02-06-2007, 03:49 PM
A Sellout is a person that will sacrifice their personal beliefs and morals to be monetarily or socially successful?
For example all the Gangsta rappers are sellouts... Rapping about killing and selling drugs is the same as killing people and selling drugs...You are promoting negativity just to have fame and money...That is bullsh*t! The influence of drugs ruins lives, just like the influence of negative music ruins young lives...

I agree with your first sentence.

But a 'gangsta rapper' who comes into the game as just that, and stays that way does not make him a sellout. They're not just rapping about killing and selling drugs, they're rapping about their experiences, to be taken with a grain of salt. Its not a rappers job to raise people's kids.

Thats what parenting is for. That argument goes out the window, because all kids should be taught the difference between right and wrong, by their parents not a rap album.

The rap you speak of will always exist...

Why ?

Because those situations and environments are real. On whether or not you believe a particular artist is going through them, is questionable. But they do exist.

And as long as they do, there will be people willing to pay to hear those stories and experiences.

Just like the news that everyone watches on TV, 98% of the news is tragic news, and people love to hear about it. Just the way of the world. Tragedy is entertainment.

Greatest_D
02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
The word's used too often nowadays. A true sellout example would be a black person voluntarily fighting for the Confederates back in teh day, or a black spy who was a snitch for the Apartheid govt in S.A - you get the idea. The thing that pisses me off most nowadays are the people who say 1 thing and lambast it, then come back and do that exact same thing. Ma$e and 50 Cent are cases in point.

Verstyle
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM

u ever heard of change of beliefs and a new change in life? or is muhammad ali a sell out from going to got to praising allah?

neils7147933
02-07-2007, 09:05 AM
The whole point nowadays is to sell out.

It used to be about music. Now you'll see some kid you've never heard of on his first single rapping about all the **** he owns.

I guess it depends on the quality of the "other" thing they're doing. Ice Cube has been in Trespass, Three Kings, Boyz N The Hood - not selling out. Snoop Dogg does a voice in Arthur and the Invisibles - maybe a sell out (he's mainstream and he has a kid) Outkast having fun doing Idlewild - not a sell out. All these straight-to-video "hood" movies - selling out, unless the guy doing it really, really needs the money.

Ja Rule hosting a teen MTV soap opera telethon? Umm...sellout
50 Cent selling vitamin water? Sellout
Eazy-E having dinner with the president? Sellout
KRS-One rapping in a Sprite commercial? Sellout

I'll think of some more later...

Mech.
02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
The whole point nowadays is to sell out.

It used to be about music. Now you'll see some kid you've never heard of on his first single rapping about all the **** he owns.

I guess it depends on the quality of the "other" thing they're doing. Ice Cube has been in Trespass, Three Kings, Boyz N The Hood - not selling out. Snoop Dogg does a voice in Arthur and the Invisibles - maybe a sell out (he's mainstream and he has a kid) Outkast having fun doing Idlewild - not a sell out. All these straight-to-video "hood" movies - selling out, unless the guy doing it really, really needs the money.

Ja Rule hosting a teen MTV soap opera telethon? Umm...sellout
50 Cent selling vitamin water? Sellout
Eazy-E having dinner with the president? Sellout
KRS-One rapping in a Sprite commercial? Sellout

I'll think of some more later...

Common rapping in a GAP commercial? ****ing awesome!

Jim_Davis
02-07-2007, 12:11 PM

That's true. A gangsta rapper that was involved in promoting killing in their music, they then star in a couple movies do osme love songs, but they already ****ed up alot of youths minds with their music.

MOREBASS
02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I think a lot of you are missing the point of what a sellout actually is.

A sellout IMO, is a person, who sacrifices his or her personal values, or compromises his or her beliefs, for any reason.

There is a huge difference between selling out, and simply looking to improve one's quality of life. I think a good example of this is the Black Eyed Peas adding Fergie to their roster, in order to appeal to a wider audience, which in turn, brought them album sales like they had never had before, but at the same time alienating the very people who made them popular to begin with.

So a rapper doing a movie, commercial, or any other endorsement would not automatically make them a sellout, unless what they were endorsing, or even endorsing itself was against their beliefs and morals.

Hydro
02-07-2007, 07:29 PM
It's a shame, *****z in the rap game
only for the money and the fame (Extra large!)
only for the money and the fame - Paparazzi

http://www.xzibitcentral.com/images/pimp_my_ride/pimp_my_ride_2.jpg

j
02-07-2007, 11:39 PM
note - this lil rant is not directed at anyone specific here:

i am goddamn sick of the term hater, hata, haterz, etc. it's like everybody is a ****ing hater these days. that's all i read when someone doesn't agree about thier favorite boxer, rapper, etc - they must be a hata! **** that played out word. it's used too goddamned much.

----------

The influence of drugs ruins lives, just like the influence of negative music ruins young lives...

so, you don't do drugs? no alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, asparin, etc? just curious as to what this sentence means here.

j
02-07-2007, 11:42 PM
only for the money and the fame (Extra large!)
only for the money and the fame - Paparazzi

sounds about spot on to me. self promotion these days more than it used to be. not just for fun, venting, or art's sake much anymore.

take a look at the song "fergalicious." can anyone guess what it's about?

oh, and i agree with morebass's analysis.

res
02-08-2007, 04:31 AM
[QUOTE=j;2121236]note - this lil rant is not directed at anyone specific here:

i am goddamn sick of the term hater, hata, haterz, etc. it's like everybody is a ****ing hater these days. that's all i read when someone doesn't agree about thier favorite boxer, rapper, etc - they must be a hata! **** that played out word. it's used too goddamned much.

I have to agree with this one. It's a word to get no talent ignoramuses off the hook. Notice that people only use this word when they are talking about someone that everyone knows is not the most skilled person around. For example, if I walked in a room and said that Nas didn't have any skills, no one would call me a hater...they would just say I was a nut. If on the other hand I walk into a room and say 50 cent has no skills all of a sudden I get called a hater. When people know someone has talent they never call you a hater for criticizing them, it's the people that everyone knows have hardly any talent that you get called a hater because of. In the 80's rappers use to get dissed and criticized right and left, constantly, that kept the game pure. When criticism disappears the standard disappears and when that happens, the art is dead. The way things are going know Hip Hop isn't going to get a chance to last as long as rock did before it starts to flicker out, it's killing itself too quickly with mentalities like this. Everyone was around in the 80's to see how big rock and roll was, and how far it fell, and how tiny hip hop was, and how quickly it rose, knows that the same thing could happen to hip hop. If all you have ever known was hip hop as mainstream music, you may think that it is impossible for hip hop to be anywhere other than where it is now. The community sense that created songs like "Self-Destruction" and "Be a Father To Your Child" is dying out because selfish individuals don't see any obligation to the community anymore. People think that they can peddle any kind of spiritual poison to their community that they want if it profits them personally. The mentality of the drug dealer has taken everything over. Well I tell you this, and mark my words, it was the sense of black community that created hip hop, and the destruction of that sense of community will destroy hip hop, if it is destroyed.

MOREBASS
02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
The term 'hater' is a victim statement, tossed around by those who ignore the fact that there is room for improvement in what they do. And used by people who refuse to take constructive steps towards improving their skills in whatever craft it is that they do.

Its also used by people who ignore the fact that opinions are like *******s...everyone's got one.