View Full Version : pre


phallus
01-25-2007, 12:45 AM
today is steve prefontaine's birthday, if he were alive he'd be 56 years old today. pre is one of my heroes, because he was a little guy - 5'9" and 155 pounds who was always told he was too small to be an athlete, that he'd never make the olympics, etc. i find this ironic because pre was already a star runner in high school, in college he set 7 records - one of which, his american record ( running three miles in 13:21 minutes - damn, he was fast ), has never been beaten since he set it 1971.

at the 72 olympics, a 21 year old pre competed against one of the greatest runners of all time - lasse viren and handed him his ass for almost the entire race. viren was 6'3" and extremely naturally talented and he still had to pull out everything he had to beat pre, and just barely, by a matter of one or two seconds. i think this proves that running is 90% mental, and the other 10% is mental

in 1976, in montreal, he would have won a medal, and i think he would have beat lasse viren. pre was all determination, he was the rocky marciano of running. pre is the best argument anyone can make against genetic engineering, no one looking at his genes would have thought pre would have been a champion, or considered one of the greatest runners of all time

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a8/Pre.jpg/200px-Pre.jpg

http://libweb.uoregon.edu/pix/speccoll/archives/assets/prefontaine/Pre13.jpg

http://sport.si21.com/atletika/2000/slike/prefontaine01_180.jpg

phallus
01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
i like this pic, it shows the hunger in his eyes

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/153/998939~Steve-Prefontaine-Portrait-Posters.jpg

http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/pre/pre.jpg

LoftyDog
01-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Pre was a sick runner...too bad he died so young. I can't remember which movie I saw about him, I wanna say without limits but I could be wrong. Before one of my cross country races my team watched it while we made some spaghetti lol. If I remember correctly, his coach was the founder of nike.

phallus
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Pre was a sick runner...too bad he died so young. I can't remember which movie I saw about him, I wanna say without limits but I could be wrong. Before one of my cross country races my team watched it while we made some spaghetti lol. If I remember correctly, his coach was the founder of nike.

there's two movies about pre - prefontaine and without limits. i've seen them both. bill bowerman - pre's coach is the founder of nike. he used to make the shoes for his team members on his wife's waffle iron, now they're made in sweatshops in taiwan by 3 year olds making 5 cents an hour

BuddyChacon
01-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Pre was one cool bastard as well as great. I prefer Jared Leto's Pre to others I have seen.

phallus
01-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Pre was one cool bastard as well as great. I prefer Jared Leto's Pre to others I have seen.

without limits shows pre's relationship with bowerman better, but other than that i agree. Leto had pre's intensity in the film