No announcement yet.

long range hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long range hook

is there a correct punch thats for long range but its a hook?

because i throw it sometimes but it feels very weak. im more comfortable throwing hooks short range as there much stronger...

but i see fights like fraziers and tysons and they score knockdowns with long range hooks.

is this just strength or is there technique to it?

If I throw a long hook, it's usually while moving back, and I "pull" it to get the snap as I slide my lead foot back or pivot. The punch is called -- get this -- a "pulling hook." Go figure.

I don't like to engage with a long hook, and certainly not a long and heavy hook; I find a long hook is pretty easily countered unless it's buried in a combo someplace. Your mileage may vary.

Versatile2K7 has a monster, textbook lead hook that has "Pain Dispenser" written all over it; check out his fight videos. Exige throws a nice one, too -- his is long but snappy. Neither of those guys are very rangy. Watch their feet.

Comment

It's all in technique and in the footwork. Watch Trinidads left hook and watch his footwork how he shifts his weight almost perfect. For another modern day example use Juan Manuel Marquez. He is the best offensive technical boxer in boxing right now, IMO.

Comment

My only tip on long range hook is to land it with your fist placed horizontally. I t will have some more power and be generally more accurate. And with hooks, contrary to jabs, its more like freestyle, if it works and lands for you, then its good.

Comment

I agree with the poster above. De La Hoya's left hook is one the awkwardest punches I have ever seen, same with Taylor's right hand - but they both work great.

Comment

Working...
          X