View Full Version : unbreakable!!!

aspect
12-23-2006, 08:46 AM
who do you guys think has the greatest defense of all time?

state the reason why

my picks:

ali: he avoided most fighters at his time with his footwork when most of the boxers just try to slug it out and wants to fight toe to toe.
though they say that he lacks power imo his best weapon was his jab.intercepting/countering most punches with his jab stopping even some of the punches mid way.

tyson: a style that most in fighters have a hard time trying to perfect.
"hitting while not getting hit " very few infighters does what he does at close range when he was at his prime.an "in your face" fighting style avoiding most hooks from his opp. by weaving then answers them with body shots,hook and upper combination.

toney:he really does roll with the punch :D the way he just take the punches as if he is falling.in the eyes of ordinary expectator it would seem that his head is getting thrown coz of the punches.

floyd jr.: most counter punchers do block punches then return
weaves then dash make it an infight
or out fighters slips or steps then uses jabs and crosses
he does almost the all of techniques avoiding punches and returning it.
giving him the "pretty boy" coz few(if any) solid/hard punches lands on his face.

so what are your thoughts?

Shanus
12-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Willie Pep and Floyd Mayweather for me.

Floyd has revolutionized the shoulder roll, you'll see that in a couple of years.. there will be alot of immitators, and Willie Pep, need I say more? The guy was EVASIVE.

aspect
12-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Willie Pep and Floyd Mayweather for me.

Floyd has revolutionized the shoulder roll, you'll see that in a couple of years.. there will be alot of immitators, and Willie Pep, need I say more? The guy was EVASIVE.

yeah that shoulder roll is crazy :banana:

it is like the in your face tactic of tyson before but in a diff. way ofcourse :boxing:

waiting for the golden boy vs the pretty boy :banana:

Rockin'
12-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Exige has the best defense of all time. He only fights on the computer. Tough to be hit that way.................Rockin':boxing:

Dempsey 1919
12-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Exige has the best defense of all time. He only fights on the computer. Tough to be hit that way.................Rockin':boxing:

Haha, lol!

The Surgeon
12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Ive only seen a handfull of Pep fights but i am confident he was Undisputed number1! I saw him win a round without throwing a punch! Wild! Then Sweet Pea who i have seen far more off! For me he was way better than PBF, but yeah Floyds a genius! Honerable mention to Jones jnr and James Toney. Oh and Winky Wright too.

Oasis_Lad
12-24-2006, 02:53 PM
willie pep

any man that can win a round without throwing a punch is without doubt one of the most amazing talents to ever step through the ropes.

The Surgeon
12-24-2006, 03:10 PM
willie pep

any man that can win a round without throwing a punch is without doubt one of the most amazing talents to ever step through the ropes.

Yup, spot on! Have u seen it? Totally ridiculous skillz on display!

hhascup
12-24-2006, 03:36 PM
willie pep

That was always said about Pep, BUT it wasn't the truth. You can go to the following site and read it for yourself.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/w0403-jw.html

The Surgeon
12-24-2006, 03:58 PM
That was always said about Pep, BUT it wasn't the truth. You can go to the following site and read it for yourself.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/w0403-jw.html

Intresting peace but ive seen it with my own eyes, it happened. Dont know who he was fighting but i definatley saw him win a round without throwing a punch.

Lubutheimmortal
12-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I agree it's Willie Pep! In his prime the man was beautiful as a fighter. It's really sad he just passed away. I think I speak for everyone when I say he will be missed.

R.I.P Willie Pep - Wil of the Wisp

The Surgeon
12-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I agree it's Willie Pep! In his prime the man was beautiful as a fighter. It's really sad he just passed away. I think I speak for everyone when I say he will be missed.

R.I.P Willie Pep - Wil of the Wisp

U do bud, always sad when a ledgend passes

Kid Achilles
12-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Exige has the best defense of all time. He only fights on the computer. Tough to be hit that way.................Rockin'

That was a good one Rockin!

Verstyle
12-24-2006, 07:50 PM
tysons was really good. but hard to keep doing,he has 1 of the most tiring styles i have tried and seen.just the bobbing and weaving can take a toll on u

Southpaw Stinger
12-24-2006, 08:32 PM
tysons was really good. but hard to keep doing,he has 1 of the most tiring styles i have tried and seen.just the bobbing and weaving can take a toll on u

you got that right. I tried his style in sparring last year and I was ****ed by the second round!

Verstyle
12-24-2006, 08:34 PM
you got that right. I tried his style in sparring last year and I was ****ed by the second round!

ppl wonder why im tired sometimes in like the third round of sparring.and i wanna say."***** this **** is tiring"ahaha, but i was out of shape also

Lubutheimmortal
12-24-2006, 10:34 PM
A defense that makes you tired fast isn't a good defense, but I know thats not what you saying. He was a good bob-weaver though. Also yes I can imagine that's a tiring style. I've never boxed,....it's something I've thought about, but never went through with yet.

aspect
12-25-2006, 06:19 AM

I try this method too when I go for an in fight.it is really hard(not to mention that I am an out fighter and a southpaw for that matter)I feel that I will loose my techniques when I go at infight and be more like a brawler type of boxer.though as much as possible I use counter punches. for my style I will loose much of my power when I go infight coz the reach of my lead hand will be shorten (coz it is my dominant one )

Ive only seen a handfull of Pep fights but i am confident he was Undisputed number1! I saw him win a round without throwing a punch! Wild! Then Sweet Pea who i have seen far more off! For me he was way better than PBF, but yeah Floyds a genius! Honerable mention to Jones jnr and James Toney. Oh and Winky Wright too.

I dont remember if I saw a fight of pep before like you mention. does any body know who he is fighting that time? so I can search for it.

yeah roy jr. too but he is out of the spot light for now ,so I will go for floyd

winky was using peak a boo style same as tyson but instead of weaving he blocks it.in this case I go with tyson.but winky uses a type of side shoulder block and some elbow block too.not just blocking with his fore arms and curling/covering the body like most boxers do. if he add some more parry with it and some more combinations on his attacks ,he will not be too boring to watch anymore and may become exciting to watch for some boxing fans.

The Surgeon
12-25-2006, 06:24 AM
I dont remember the guys name, click the link on page 1, it says it didnt happen but he def did it to sum1 coz i saw it, it was on ESPN Classics a few months back

hhascup
12-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Intresting peace but ive seen it with my own eyes, it happened. Dont know who he was fighting but i definatley saw him win a round without throwing a punch.

It was always said that it was the Jackie Graves bout and I did a lot of research on that bout and found out that it did not happen. Their were no newspapers that stated it either.

I do agree that Pep was one of the Greatest boxers of all times, along with Robinson, Armstrong, Ali and Louis.

Verstyle
12-25-2006, 01:35 PM
I try this method too when I go for an in fight.it is really hard(not to mention that I am an out fighter and a southpaw for that matter)I feel that I will loose my techniques when I go at infight and be more like a brawler type of boxer.though as much as possible I use counter punches. for my style I will loose much of my power when I go infight coz the reach of my lead hand will be shorten (coz it is my dominant one )

I dont remember if I saw a fight of pep before like you mention. does any body know who he is fighting that time? so I can search for it.

yeah roy jr. too but he is out of the spot light for now ,so I will go for floyd

winky was using peak a boo style same as tyson but instead of weaving he blocks it.in this case I go with tyson.but winky uses a type of side shoulder block and some elbow block too.not just blocking with his fore arms and curling/covering the body like most boxers do. if he add some more parry with it and some more combinations on his attacks ,he will not be too boring to watch anymore and may become exciting to watch for some boxing fans.

very difficult task with the style.your constantly moving without a break

The Surgeon
12-25-2006, 04:19 PM
It was always said that it was the Jackie Graves bout and I did a lot of research on that bout and found out that it did not happen. Their were no newspapers that stated it either.

I do agree that Pep was one of the Greatest boxers of all times, along with Robinson, Armstrong, Ali and Louis.

Thats what the link on page1 said too. im not sayin ur a liar, because there seems to be evidence suggesting what ur saying is rite but beleive me when i tell u it happened. I saw it only a while ago on ESPN Classics i beleive.

The Surgeon
12-25-2006, 04:21 PM

I tried it too but got punched to ****! Not my style! How do u normally fight?

hhascup
12-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Thats what the link on page1 said too. im not sayin ur a liar, because there seems to be evidence suggesting what ur saying is rite but beleive me when i tell u it happened. I saw it only a while ago on ESPN Classics i beleive.

I have every bout that was on film of Willie Pep and I never seen it. I met Pep many years ago and he introduced me to his wife, who was a lot younger then he was.

He will be missed by everyone!

The Surgeon
12-26-2006, 08:36 AM
I have every bout that was on film of Willie Pep and I never seen it. I met Pep many years ago and he introduced me to his wife, who was a lot younger then he was.

U cant have them all

The Surgeon
12-26-2006, 08:38 AM

He will be missed. U sound like u know alot more about pep than me, ive only seen a handfull of his fights but i def seen that round man

hhascup
12-26-2006, 11:09 AM
He will be missed. U sound like u know alot more about pep than me, ive only seen a handfull of his fights but i def seen that round man

Yes, I met Pep several times. I have been the President of the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame for 21 years and their Historian for several year more.

During that time, I met and even introduced many all time Greats as Ali, Frazier, Pep, Saddler, Griffith, Holyfield, etc. Several weeks ago I had to go to the Grand Central Station and for over 3 hours, I had to introduce the Klitschko's, Brock and Ali's daughter.

When they had the Ring Book Encyclopedia, I fixed over 2000 boxer records, including over 200 World Champions. I use to go through the Newspaper micro-films for years.

As far as films go, I have ALMOST all of them! My wife keeps telling me, where are you going to put them. I also have several World Championship Belts, including a copy of the John L. Sullivan Belt. I also have old boxing gloves that go back before 1900, Sonny Liston's gloves when he fought my friend Chuck Wepner, Tony Riccio's gloves when he fought Sugar Ray Robinson, I have a speed bag that Marciano used, ticket stubs that go back before 1900, including several world title bouts. I also have a poster of the Dempsey-Tunney bout and I lot more.

Lubutheimmortal
12-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Yes, I met Pep several times. I have been the President of the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame for 21 years and their Historian for several year more.

During that time, I met and even introduced many all time Greats as Ali, Frazier, Pep, Saddler, Griffith, Holyfield, etc. Several weeks ago I had to go to the Grand Central Station and for over 3 hours, I had to introduce the Klitschko's, Brock and Ali's daughter.

When they had the Ring Book Encyclopedia, I fixed over 2000 boxer records, including over 200 World Champions. I use to go through the Newspaper micro-films for years.

As far as films go, I have ALMOST all of them! My wife keeps telling me, where are you going to put them. I also have several World Championship Belts, including a copy of the John L. Sullivan Belt. I also have old boxing gloves that go back before 1900, Sonny Liston's gloves when he fought my friend Chuck Wepner, Tony Riccio's gloves when he fought Sugar Ray Robinson, I have a speed bag that Marciano used, ticket stubs that go back before 1900, including several world title bouts. I also have a poster of the Dempsey-Tunney bout and I lot more.
Impressive collection. I'd love to have a job that has to do with Boxing more so it's history.

Kid Achilles
12-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Hello hhascup,

It's great to have a new member such as yourself who clearly loves boxing and has been around the sport for many years.

One question, what is Wepner like? He always appeared to me to be a pretty likeable, funny guy.

hhascup
12-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Impressive collection. I'd love to have a job that has to do with Boxing more so it's history.

Hello hhascup,

It's great to have a new member such as yourself who clearly loves boxing and has been around the sport for many years.

One question, what is Wepner like? He always appeared to me to be a pretty likeable, funny guy.

Wepner is the life of any party. He is always making everyone laugh. When I saw him last week at a Ring #8 affair he and his wife came over and talked me and my wife. Frazier, Cooney, Griffith, Antuofermo, LaPorte, Boom Boom Mancini, Norton, Barkley, Bert Sugar, were among those in attendance.

At the dinner, Wepner came over and took pictures with everyone and pointed to me and said, here's a guy that does more for the boxers then anyone he knows. He also said that I was one of the most knowledgeable people in all of boxing. He really made me feel pretty good.

I also know many boxing judges including Harold Lederman, who also says the same thing.

Kid Achilles
12-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Harold Lederman, love that guy. He really has a distinct voice that you can't miss, but for the longest time I didn't even know what he looked like.

hhascup
12-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Harold Lederman, love that guy. He really has a distinct voice that you can't miss, but for the longest time I didn't even know what he looked like.

Here's several pictures of our 2005 induction ceremonies and you will see Harold and his daughter.

http://www.boxing-pics.com/nj_hof05/mulholland_hof2005.html

Just double click on any of the pictues.

aspect
12-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Wepner is the life of any party. He is always making everyone laugh. When I saw him last week at a Ring #8 affair he and his wife came over and talked me and my wife. Frazier, Cooney, Griffith, Antuofermo, LaPorte, Boom Boom Mancini, Norton, Barkley, Bert Sugar, were among those in attendance.

At the dinner, Wepner came over and took pictures with everyone and pointed to me and said, here's a guy that does more for the boxers then anyone he knows. He also said that I was one of the most knowledgeable people in all of boxing. He really made me feel pretty good.

I also know many boxing judges including Harold Lederman, who also says the same thing.

I envy you:puppy_dog

The Surgeon
12-27-2006, 07:54 AM

I knew u knew ur stuff! Thats awsum, i wish i was invoved like that! Who was the coolest guy out of all the boxing crowd uve met then Hh u lucky bastard!?

hhascup
12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I knew u knew ur stuff! Thats awsum, i wish i was invoved like that! Who was the coolest guy out of all the boxing crowd uve met then Hh u lucky bastard!?

There many, Wepner, Bobby Czyz, Michael Spinks, Boom Boom, Cooney, Holmes, gee, I can go on and on. I love them all.

The Surgeon
12-27-2006, 11:02 AM
There many, Wepner, Bobby Czyz, Michael Spinks, Boom Boom, Cooney, Holmes, gee, I can go on and on. I love them all.

Ur connections make me burn up with jealousy! :burnup:
I met Ricky Hatton and Scott Harrison - both in the PUB! Always thought Bobby C would be cool, thought Holmes mite be a bit of a prick tho! Did u talk boxin or just normal chit chat?

hhascup
12-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Ur connections make me burn up with jealousy! :burnup:
I met Ricky Hatton and Scott Harrison - both in the PUB! Always thought Bobby C would be cool, thought Holmes mite be a bit of a prick tho! Did u talk boxin or just normal chit chat?

When I talked to Holmes, I brought up Bert Sugar's all-time heavyweight listings, which he has Holmes at #10. I stated that in my book, he is a lot higher. He was nice, maybe because the person that brought him their, was a good friend of mine, by the name of Jody Ballard, who was a heavyweight years ago.

A couple of years ago, I was honored along with Arturo Gatti, Don King, Buddy McGirt and Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins was very nice, in fact I gave a speech about the Greatest thing I ever did and it had nothing to do with sports. It was raising my 4 kids for 8 years by myself. The oldest one was just turning 10, then a girl 8, another boy 5 and my little girl, who was only 3.

After I gave my speech, he said, Henry and took my hand and said, "that was GREAT!" I'll never forget it. I still have the poster that had all of us on it.

Brockton Lip
12-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Congratulations man, you seem like a good Joe.

hhascup
12-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Congratulations man, you seem like a good Joe.

Well, I hope so!

Most people I know think so as I give a lot for kids that don't have any parents. I run picnic's and Christmas Party's for them every year. I never will forget where I came from, I was in several foster homes when I was a kid and I will always remember the people that really cared for me.

The Surgeon
12-27-2006, 06:14 PM
When I talked to Holmes, I brought up Bert Sugar's all-time heavyweight listings, which he has Holmes at #10. I stated that in my book, he is a lot higher. He was nice, maybe because the person that brought him their, was a good friend of mine, by the name of Jody Ballard, who was a heavyweight years ago.

A couple of years ago, I was honored along with Arturo Gatti, Don King, Buddy McGirt and Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins was very nice, in fact I gave a speech about the Greatest thing I ever did and it had nothing to do with sports. It was raising my 4 kids for 8 years by myself. The oldest one was just turning 10, then a girl 8, another boy 5 and my little girl, who was only 3.

After I gave my speech, he said, Henry and took my hand and said, "that was GREAT!" I'll never forget it. I still have the poster that had all of us on it.

Thats just awsum man, awsum. Raising kids is no joke man, i know! 4 Kids on ur own, thats real commendable. Still Jealous as a jealous duz tho!

hhascup
12-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Thats just awsum man, awsum. Raising kids is no joke man, i know! 4 Kids on ur own, thats real commendable. Still Jealous as a jealous duz tho!

Well back in 1981, when I became a single parent, I had to say no to a lot of jobs in boxing. The State of New Jersey wanted me to become a Referee and Judge, BUT I just couldn't, because I had to take care of my 4 kids. They needed me more then the sport of boxing.

I still became involved with many boxing Organizations, including the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame, Ring #9, #14, #20 #8 and the New Jersey Diamond Gloves.

You can read all about a lot of it by going to the following web sites:

http://www.wdyt.com/henry.shtml

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/forumentry.shtml

Or you can google my name and see for yourself.

Thanks once again, Henry Hascup

The Surgeon
12-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Well back in 1981, when I became a single parent, I had to say no to a lot of jobs in boxing. The State of New Jersey wanted me to become a Referee and Judge, BUT I just couldn't, because I had to take care of my 4 kids. They needed me more then the sport of boxing.

I still became involved with many boxing Organizations, including the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame, Ring #9, #14, #20 #8 and the New Jersey Diamond Gloves.

You can read all about a lot of it by going to the following web sites:

http://www.wdyt.com/henry.shtml

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/forumentry.shtml

Or you can google my name and see for yourself.

Thanks once again, Henry Hascup

I will cheers :biggthump

The Surgeon
12-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Damn Henry, u seem like quite the guy! Held in very high regard! Just went to those links u gave. Cheers again

Hydro
12-29-2006, 04:51 PM
For a swarming pressure fighter, the best defense I've seen is a lightweight and welterweight Duran.

ianwigley
12-29-2006, 05:01 PM
For a swarming pressure fighter, the best defense I've seen is a lightweight and welterweight Duran.

I'll give you that.

For me, Duran was a ****ing animal. Like a street fighter with a boxing brain. All arms and guts. Shame he never got all the props he deserved, he was overshadowed by Hearns and Hagler and Leonard. Crying shame.

Ian

Kid Achilles
12-29-2006, 05:06 PM
P4P Duran was better than Hearns, Hagler, or Leonard, but he ate his way out of his natural weight division, lightweight. He was unquestionably one of the greatest fighters of the 1970's and since, but he could have been even BETTER if he stayed at lightweight.

Sttuddahboy619
12-29-2006, 05:28 PM
willie pep

Can you upload that vid? I have to see this for myself!