By Chris Robinson
While Miguel Cotto may have looked sensational in dispatching former world title challenger Delvin Rodriguez on HBO’s airwaves this past weekend, not everyone was sold on the Puerto Rican star’s performance.
Cotto faced Rodriguez inside of the Amway Center in Orlando, Fl. and he displayed vintage form, rocking his taller foe with crisp and powerful shots before dropping him at the start of the third round and forcing referee Frank Santore Jr. to wave the action off.
Catching up with outspoken trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. in Las Vegas on Tuesday afternoon, he couldn’t find it within him to give Miguel any kind of real praise.
“I think it was a good performance for the guy he had in front of him,” stated Mayweather Sr. from the Mayweather Boxing Club. “He didn’t have nobody in front of him. That guy was nobody, man. You already know that.”
Cotto began working with esteemed trainer Freddie Roach in advance of the Rodriguez match and reports from his training camp in Los Angeles stated how ardently he pushed himself during their time together.
And while Roach seems like a good fit for the 32-year old prizefighter, Mayweather Sr. felt that Rodriguez would have went down regardless of what version of Cotto was in front of him.
“He could have did that anyway, without Freddie Roach,” stated Mayweather Sr. “And I’m being for real with you. He’s a good fighter anyway and that wasn’t no big deal. Because he didn’t knock nobody out. Who in the hell is that guy who he fought? I don’t know who in the hell he is.
“Cotto did what Cotto was supposed to do,” Mayweather Sr. added.
It’s only natural to get Mayweather Sr.’s thoughts on Cotto’s performance. In May of last year, Mayweather Sr.’s son Floyd was given one of the toughest fights in his career by Cotto inside of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Mayweather would end up holding off a fierce challenge from Cotto as he captured a unanimous decision but his nose was bloodied along the way and there were several heated exchanges and competitive rounds in the fight.
When discussing Cotto’s future, some people look towards an eventual rematch with Mayweather as a legitimate option.
Floyd Sr. seems bemused by such talk.
“I heard Roy [Jones] talking that crazy *ss shit on TV about he’d like to see Cotto come back and fight Floyd,” said Mayweather Sr. “Cotto would get the same thing, but he’d get it worst.”
Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, whose company co-promoted Cotto’s bout with Rodriguez, even went as far as to suggest that Mayweather wouldn’t have interest in a rematch simply based off of how explosive Miguel looked.
Mayweather Sr. brushed off Arum’s remarks and insists that Cotto needs to show him more before such a scenario can even be entertained.
“We aint worried about that, because, first of all, he’s going to have to show [himself] as far as fighting,” said Mayweather Sr. “He aint going to whoop nobody like that and get no fight with Floyd. He got to fight somebody. He aint fought nobody. Until he fights somebody, he can forget about getting another shot with anybody. He got to fight somebody.”
Tags: Floyd Mayweather Jr. , Miguel Cotto
For more all-access coverage from the boxing world, please visit Chris Robinson's
and check out more exclusives below