By Mark Vester
Last year, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said to BoxingScene.com that unbeaten Mexican welterweight Saul Alvarez was a darkhorse to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. Reports have now surfaced out of Mexico which apparently point in the direction of Mayweather vs. Alvarez fight.
Recently Schaefer announced that Mayweather's opponent would be announced in the next two to three days. And reports in Mexico are stating that Alvarez is the frontrunner and could land a deal to fight Mayweather in the next two to three days.
Golden Boy's promotional partner in Mexico, Ricardo Maldonado, has told reporters that Oscar De La Hoya, the president of Golden Boy, has had several talks with Alvarez's manager Rafael Mendoza. De La Hoya told Mendoza that Alvarez was the frontrunner to land the fight.
"There is a real possibility that Alvarez will face Mayweather in Las Vegas. De la Hoya has been looking for a long time and the fight would be on March 13 in Las Vegas. It's not a crazy idea because Alvarez does have a chance [to win]," Maldonado was quoted as saying by a Mexican radio program.
"In no later than 48 hours we will have the information on whether the fight will happen or not, but it is true that Alvarez is the first choice for Mayweather. Golden Boy and I think it would be a good time to make this into a big fight because all of the people in Mexico already know him and he can become very famous in America."
Alvarez, 19-years-old, is a growing star in Mexico where he draws thousands of fans in his country. He has 30 fights under his belt and power in both hands but he never faced a fighter near the level of a Mayweather.
Who knows if De La Hoya is serious here. Last week De La Hoya said Kermit Cintron had a very good chance to fight Mayweather on the same date and Cintron's promoter Lou DiBella said in a few interviews that nobody has ever contacted him to make that fight.
Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ [email protected]