|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Elliptical Trainer Reviews Dont Get The Facts Straight
There are many misconceptions regarding elliptical trainers. I believe this is a result of the large number of elliptical trainer reviews Websites popping up on the Internet each and every day. In an effort to tout the benefits of elliptical training, Webmasters post the usual laundry list of the well-publicized advantages of elliptical trainers. In the process, like the old game of "Telephone", each time the message is repeated, it gets slightly or sometimes significantly garbled in the retelling.
To make matters even worse, sometimes medical and fitness professionals along with the manufacturers of elliptical trainers will give out unproven or even incorrect information. This article will address the most common misconceptions and inaccuracies regarding elliptical trainers.
1. Elliptical trainers are zero impact fitness machines -- Since back here on the planet Earth where all mass is subject to the Law of Gravity you will still experience some impact when using an elliptical trainer. There's just no way around this. Not even in the zero gravity environment of outer space, since an elliptical requires gravity in order to work. I'm sure Sir Isaac Newton would be spinning in his grave if he knew how many times this misconception gets propagated.
Yes, elliptical trainers are LOW-impact machines and the impact is noticeably less than running on a treadmill, but there is still a small degree of impact. People who have knee injuries or chronic tendonitis in their knees may find that even the low impact forces of an elliptical trainer to be uncomfortable.
2. Elliptical trainers are not weight bearing -- This is a corollary to Misconception #1. The fact that you are standing up on the foot pedals when using an elliptical trainer makes it a weight bearing exercise. Again the force of gravity is acting upon the mass of your body, which is supported by your legs. It's not the same as when you are seated on a stationary bike or rowing machine. Weight bearing exercises such as elliptical training are a good way to strengthen the bones in your lower back and hips.
3. You need to workout longer on an elliptical trainer than on a treadmill because the higher impact of the treadmill causes you to expend more energy -- The goal of any aerobic exercise is to get your heart rate into an elevated state -- either in a fat-burning or cardio-conditioning zone and keep it there for the duration of your training session. Subjecting your joints to excessive impact in order to get there is just plain crazy! The way to do this is to get the large muscles of your lower body in motion and if you can also involve the muscles of your upper body by using the moveable handles of an elliptical trainer then so much the better.
4. The upper body handles of an elliptical trainer are meant to build up the muscles of your upper body -- There is actually a small bit of truth to this belief, but the thing to remember is that cardio machines are aerobic in nature and are not very effective at building muscle. Save muscle building for your weight training sessions.
The real benefit of upper body handles on an elliptical trainer is to involve the muscles of your upper body in the exercise in order to get your heart rate up quicker. The more pieces you get working at the same time the more efficient the whole process becomes.
5. It's possible to build a high-quality elliptical trainer using cheap components and cheap labor -- This is hands down the biggest misconception out there. It's mostly put forth by the fitness equipment manufacturers, but unfortunately many consumers fool themselves into believing it's true.
People certainly can't be faulted for wanting to save money and when faced with better quality ellipticals that sell for upwards of $800 and beyond, they settle for the $150 special from Wal-Mart. In most cases this turns out to be a purchasing decision they soon come to regret. The machine is unsteady and creaky and then just self-destructs after a short period of time.
The best advice is to take your time, do your homework and make an informed decision after weighing all of the risks against all of the benefits.
Rich Rojas gives you the straight facts on elliptical trainer reviews at http://www.ellipticalhome.com
ZAPNE Acne Treatment System Applies 3 Tier Logic's Consumer-to-Consumer ... - Canada NewsWire (press release)
Blood Pressure Monitor - Is Youre Blood Pressure OK?
The focus on reducing high blood pressure in today's society is more so then ever now we now know that living with a high blood pressure can result in having a stroke or a fatal heart attack.High blood pressure is the most common cardiovascular disease amongst the older generation aged 60 plus - high blood pressure actually effects 2 in 3 in those aged 70 or above and often comes without warnings, lending it the name 'The Silent Killer'.
Folding Vs. Non-Folding Treadmills - Whats the Real Difference?
Most people buying a treadmill will be probably be faced with the choice: "Do I want a folding or non-folding treadmill?"Folding treadmills (also called fold-up, foldable and fold-away) are a popular choice among treadmill buyers.But apart from the obvious reason to choose a folding treadmill (to save space) - what are the REAL differences between a folding vs.
Can Home Fitness Get Better Results Faster Than A Gym?
Deciding on a home fitness regime is one that will take a bit of planning and dedication. In short?home fitness does get results just as fast but of course depends on effort and knowing what to do.
Benefits of Online Fitness Programs
There are many benefits of choosing an online fitness program over a live personal trainer. In this article, I will focus on the most important ones.
Types of Exercise Equipment
Depending on the kind of exercise you want to do, there are many types of exercise equipment from which to choose. You no longer have to join a gym because many types of equipment can fit right in your own home.
Home Sweet Treadmill
For those of you trying to stay in shape or shed a few pounds (who isn't?) there are tons of resources. Perhaps you think there's nothing better than outdoor sports to burn up the calories as you feel those wonderful endorphins kicking in.
Mobility Scooters: An Introduction
Mobility scooters are designed for people who have some mobility but are challenged by slopes or distances. A wide variety of mobility scooters, in various price ranges, are available to fit your needs from leading manufacturers such as Invacare, Pride, Sunrise Medical and Drive Medical.
Have Fun With The Nordic Track Elliptical Trainer
The Nordic Track elliptical is a lower end priced machine. People who have purchased the Nordic Track elliptical are more than satisfied with their decision.
Research is Key When Buying a Treadmill - Check Out the Best Treadmill Ratings and Reviews Online!
A home treadmill offers many advantages - just imagine, no more waiting in line at the gym or worrying about what other people think of your clothes! But choosing from the extensive range of treadmills can be a daunting task, so it pays to do your homework. A treadmill is a long term investment in your health, not just a fad until you forget your new years resolutions and good intentions!It you are serious about making a positive change in your life, buying a treadmill can be a major step in the right direction to help you achieve your goals.
Life Fitness Ellipticals are Among the Best
The Life Fitness company makes six different models. They are the Life Fitness Elliptical X3, the Life Fitness Elliptical X3i, the Life Fitness Elliptical X5, the Life Fitness Elliptical X5i, the Life Fitness Elliptical x9i, and the Life Fitness Elliptical Sports Cardio SX30.
Life Fitness Equipment for Every Type of Workout
Life Fitness equipment is among the best in the world. Life Fitness is a global company specializing in superior fitness equipment that is designed to provide you with a complete body workout and give you quality construction that is unsurpassed in the fitness industry.
Exercise Bikes - No Excuses, 30 Minutes A Day On A Bike Will Change Your Life
Exercise bikes are the ideal home exercise equipment. We are all advised to exercise for 30 minutes per day to stay healthy combined with a good balanced food intake.
An Informative Home Gym Review
There are several well-known manufacturers of home gyms worth mentioning. While all have their advantages and disadvantages, the following home fitness gyms are particularly noteworthy.
Inexpensive Exercise Machine Gets The Results Of A $12,000 Treadmill
Whether you're on a low carb diet or a low fat diet, its important to exercise if you want to accelerate your weight loss while dieting.Would you be interested, to find a piece of inexpensive exercise equipment that could help you achieve the same results you'd see from a $12,000 treadmill? My answer to that question was sure, but its probably just hype for one of those TV gimmicks that don't really work.
Russian Kettlebell Workout
Russian Kettlebells are amazing! These kettlebell workouts may be the answer to maintaining a home gym or having an expensive club membership.With Russian kettlebells you can develop superior gains over traditional workout methods and save lots of space in your home.
Create Your Own Fitness Center with Home Exercise Equipment!
If joining a fitness center is not for you, and you're not the outdoors-y type, home exercise equipment is a smart choice for staying fit. Before you buy, you should do your homework in order to prevent your new exercise machine from becoming an over-sized clothes hanger.
Proform - The Highly Recognized Name in Treadmills
Proform is a highly recognized name in treadmills. Proform has been around for many years and is a subsidiary of the same company that manufactures Nordic Track and Reebok.
The Problems with Epic Treadmills
Epic treadmills have long been on the market and have a large customer base. They can boast a wide range of features which some people seem to think has taken place over quality.
How To Build A $100 Home Gym That Delivers Results
So you want to save valuable time traveling to the gym by building your ownhome gym. Do to the long hours worked, and strenuous commutes,more and more people are opting to squeeze there workouts in by exercisingin the comfort of their own homes.
Steam Bath or Sauna - Which Is Better?
There is sometimes confusion between the terms 'steam bath' and 'sauna.' Many people think they refer to the same thing.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.